A really interesting site

John

Aug 21, 2008, 8:55:58 AM8/21/08
Did you ever wonder about Navigation and stuff...
Have you ever wondered about the Earth Going round the Sun -n-stuff
like that - and how the tides work perhaps ??
I found this wonderful site - dead easy to understand too its at:
www.hilaroad.com
Be careful though cos it addictive !!!
John

Foxy at Work

Aug 21, 2008, 9:05:45 AM8/21/08

Better look at home then John I have sent link home

Jen

Frederick Williams

Aug 21, 2008, 9:18:19 AM8/21/08

Why a centre? The word is overused: motorists' discount centre, health
centre, and so on ad nauseam.

--
He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again

~~seadancer~~

Aug 21, 2008, 9:28:52 AM8/21/08
"John" <john.h...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Thank you for the link, John.
I watched the following video about the history of clocks:
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7060699621163470194
The graphics and the background music add to the effectiveness.
One thing I learned was that our digital watches contain "vibrating atoms"
which do the same thing as swinging pendulums, but with more accuracy.
Videos like this certainly stimulate our curiousity!
---Sea

John

Aug 21, 2008, 9:35:38 AM8/21/08
On Aug 21, 2:05 pm, "Foxy at Work" <privicy@.net.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

ehhhh ? - eyes a bit confused !!!!!

John

Aug 21, 2008, 9:37:04 AM8/21/08
On Aug 21, 2:18 pm, Frederick Williams <frederick.willia...@tesco.net>
wrote:

No need to visit the centre - You's can just view the science
video's....

John

Aug 21, 2008, 9:38:46 AM8/21/08
On Aug 21, 2:28 pm, "~~seadancer~~" <seadancer1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John" <john.hurk...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Hello Sea
Yes - I watched that one too !!!! Really informative !!
John

Foxy at Work

Aug 21, 2008, 9:59:05 AM8/21/08

Cos I pop in here at work and can't spend too much time looking at web sites

Jen

MCC

Aug 21, 2008, 10:06:54 AM8/21/08

Now why can't I see John's original post?
What you done with it, you lot? :-))
--
MCC

wtwjgc (Joe)

Aug 21, 2008, 10:34:41 AM8/21/08

Just think - If John Harrison (who came from Wakefield) hadn't invented
the marine time-keeper, Cook might never have been a successful
explorer. <http://wakefield.110mb.com/people/harrison.html>)

--
wtwjgc (Joe)
Main website:- <http://wakefield.110mb.com/>

Message has been deleted

Flyińg Ńuń 2°°8 +

Aug 21, 2008, 11:26:11 AM8/21/08
MCC wrote:
<snipped>

> Now why can't I see John's original post?
> What you done with it, you lot? :-))

Dunno Mike, but I can't either. :(
Perhaps he's shy. :)
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
flyi...@tiscali.co.uk FN 2같8 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

wtwjgc (Joe)

Aug 21, 2008, 12:12:58 PM8/21/08

It was posted via Google groups. Perhaps you all have those blocked?

MCC

Aug 21, 2008, 12:51:48 PM8/21/08

I ain't got nuffink blocked.
--
MCC

Rabbit

Aug 21, 2008, 1:14:51 PM8/21/08
"MCC" <mcc1...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message

Me neither and I can't see the original in NIN but it is there on Plusnet.
--
Sandra
People will forget what you said.

Flyińg Ńuń 2°°8 +

Aug 21, 2008, 2:38:47 PM8/21/08
MCC wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:12:58 GMT, wtwjgc (Joe) wrote:
<snipped>

>> It was posted via Google groups. Perhaps you all have those blocked?
>
> I ain't got nuffink blocked.

Nor here.

~~seadancer~~

Aug 21, 2008, 6:00:14 PM8/21/08
"wtwjgc (Joe)" <pri...@NOSPAMPLEASEblueyonder.co.uk> wrote

> Just think - If John Harrison (who came from Wakefield) hadn't invented
> the marine time-keeper, Cook might never have been a successful explorer.
> <http://wakefield.110mb.com/people/harrison.html>)

That's an incredible story, Joe. Harrison certainly had tenacity...
all those years working on making improvements in his clocks.
Makes me wonder what it is that's inside a clock which makes
it so much more accurate than another. I'm sure it's too technical
for me to understand. :)
---Sea

wtwjgc (Joe)

Aug 22, 2008, 5:12:12 AM8/22/08
And me! :)

MCC

Aug 22, 2008, 8:33:03 AM8/22/08

If you can get hold of the book 'Longitude' written by Dava Sobel you will
find it a fascinating read.
Poor Harrison and his son got treated abysmally by the British Board of
Admiralty - nothing new there then :-)
--
MCC

jackie green

Aug 22, 2008, 9:08:58 AM8/22/08

>> Just think - If John Harrison (who came from Wakefield) hadn't
>> invented the marine time-keeper, Cook might never have been a
>> successful explorer.
>> <http://wakefield.110mb.com/people/harrison.html>)
>
> If you can get hold of the book 'Longitude' written by Dava Sobel you
> will find it a fascinating read.
> Poor Harrison and his son got treated abysmally by the British Board
> of Admiralty - nothing new there then :-)

There was a tv programme about him sometime last year, fascinating. Also the
astronomy club Rob is in has Alan Chapman as president and he pops over 2-3
times a year to give talks, he loves the subject of John Harrison and
clocks/timekeeping, heard a couple from him on the subject. (as an aside, he
is such a fascinating person he could base a talk on the phone directory and
you'd listen)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Chapman_(historian)

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/robgreen
http://www.robgreenmusic.110mb.com/

wtwjgc (Joe)

Aug 22, 2008, 9:25:31 AM8/22/08
On 22/08/2008 14:08, jackie green wrote:
>>> Just think - If John Harrison (who came from Wakefield) hadn't
>>> invented the marine time-keeper, Cook might never have been a
>>> successful explorer.
>>> <http://wakefield.110mb.com/people/harrison.html>)
>> If you can get hold of the book 'Longitude' written by Dava Sobel you
>> will find it a fascinating read.
>> Poor Harrison and his son got treated abysmally by the British Board
>> of Admiralty - nothing new there then :-)
>
> There was a tv programme about him sometime last year, fascinating. Also the
> astronomy club Rob is in has Alan Chapman as president and he pops over 2-3
> times a year to give talks, he loves the subject of John Harrison and
> clocks/timekeeping, heard a couple from him on the subject. (as an aside, he
> is such a fascinating person he could base a talk on the phone directory and
> you'd listen)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Chapman_(historian)

Yes, I saw that programme on TV. John Harrison was also the subject of a
short local film.
Allan is very good. I've seen him on one of the science series.

Ali

Aug 22, 2008, 3:34:07 PM8/22/08
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:00:14 GMT, ~~seadancer~~ commented

> That's an incredible story, Joe. Harrison certainly had tenacity...
> all those years working on making improvements in his clocks.
> Makes me wonder what it is that's inside a clock which makes
> it so much more accurate than another. I'm sure it's too technical
> for me to understand. :)

To put it simply, counterbalanced pendulums so that external movement
(like the rocking of a ship) doesn't affect the ticking.

Also more precise machining of the parts.

--
Ali
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/my.web.pages/ Don't go there.

~~seadancer~~

Aug 22, 2008, 7:58:18 PM8/22/08
"Ali" <ali.on...@ntlworld.com> wrote

> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:00:14 GMT, ~~seadancer~~ commented
>> That's an incredible story, Joe. Harrison certainly had tenacity...
>> all those years working on making improvements in his clocks.
>> Makes me wonder what it is that's inside a clock which makes
>> it so much more accurate than another. I'm sure it's too technical
>> for me to understand. :)
>
> To put it simply, counterbalanced pendulums so that external movement
> (like the rocking of a ship) doesn't affect the ticking.
> Also more precise machining of the parts.
> Ali

Thanks, Ali. I never even thought about the necessity for
counterbalancing on a rocking ship.
Precise machining, yes. Also, parts that don't wear out, I guess.
Is that why they have diamonds inside the watch mechanism?
They used to advertise that, IIRC.
---Sea

Ali

Aug 23, 2008, 4:08:37 PM8/23/08
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:58:18 GMT, ~~seadancer~~ commented

> "Ali" <ali.on...@ntlworld.com> wrote

>> To put it simply, counterbalanced pendulums so that external movement
>> (like the rocking of a ship) doesn't affect the ticking.
>> Also more precise machining of the parts.
>> Ali
>
> Thanks, Ali. I never even thought about the necessity for
> counterbalancing on a rocking ship.
> Precise machining, yes. Also, parts that don't wear out, I guess.
> Is that why they have diamonds inside the watch mechanism?
> They used to advertise that, IIRC.
> ---Sea

I suppose that was the reason, although, while the diamonds wouldn't wear
out, the part they wear bearing against would.