Blood Levels of Mercury Are Related to Diagnosis of Autism

已查看 13 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

JOHN

未读,
2007年11月18日 16:22:572007/11/18
收件人
http://jcn.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/22/11/1308

Journal of Child Neurology, Vol. 22, No. 11, 1308-1311 (2007)
DOI: 10.1177/0883073807307111
© 2007 SAGE Publications
Blood Levels of Mercury Are Related to Diagnosis of Autism: A Reanalysis of
an Important Data Set

M. Catherine DeSoto, PhD
Department of Psychology, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa,
cathy....@uni.edu

Robert T. Hitlan, PhD

Department of Psychology, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa

The question of what is leading to the apparent increase in autism is of
great importance. Like the link between aspirin and heart attack, even a
small effect can have major health implications. If there is any link
between autism and mercury, it is absolutely crucial that the first reports
of the question are not falsely stating that no link occurs. We have
reanalyzed the data set originally reported by Ip et al. in 2004 and have
found that the original p value was in error and that a significant relation
does exist between the blood levels of mercury and diagnosis of an autism
spectrum disorder. Moreover, the hair sample analysis results offer some
support for the idea that persons with autism may be less efficient and more
variable at eliminating mercury from the blood.

Yuri Kuchinsky

未读,
2007年11月20日 18:01:492007/11/20
收件人

"JOHN" <jo...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Wow!

Some serious stuff here!

So I wonder why all our Pharma 'activists' in these ngs are so silent about
this info???

"...a significant relation does exist between the blood levels of mercury

and diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder."

Still waiting for comments...

Yuri.

Yuri Kuchinsky -- http://www.globalserve.net/~yuku

"I have not seen autism with the Amish," said Dr. Frank Noonan, a family
practitioner in Lancaster County, Pa., who has treated thousands of Amish
for a quarter-century. "You'll find all the other stuff, but we don't find
the autism. We're right in the heart of Amish country and seeing none, and
that's just the way it is."

David Wright

未读,
2007年11月24日 18:35:022007/11/24
收件人
In article <L_GdnYrXseO_MN3a...@bt.com>,

For a detailed discussion of this paper, see

http://www.autismstreet.org/weblog/?p=158

(The writers of the discussion were not particularly impressed by the
statistical methodology used by DeSoto and Hitlan. Just so you'll be
prepared.)

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
"Saddam Hussein was a bad man, connected with some incredibly dangerous
people: Cheney, Rumsfeld, George Galloway." -- Marcus Brigstocke

Jan Drew

未读,
2007年11月25日 20:50:082007/11/25
收件人

"David Wright" <wri...@l1000.prodigy.net> wrote in message

Quote:

Aside from that, we're also skeptical of the assertion that mercury
poisoning has "sometimes" been presumptively diagnosed as autism. A search
at PubMed for "autism misdiagnosis" turns up 5 results. Not one of them is
mercury poisoning. A search at PubMed for "mercury poisoning misdiagnosis"
turns up zero results.
End Quote.

Drop the word misdiagnosis and see how many are there.

0 个新帖子