SMTP Auth .. something is filtering my email

Tony Hoyle

May 22, 2007, 1:02:44 PM5/22/07
I've got a wierd problem using SMTP AUTH. Something inbetween me
and the internet is proxying the email and removing the EHLO commands
from the data stream, stopping it working.

>From a known working (can use ESMTP to other servers with it)
connection I type:
$ telnet mail 25
220 mail ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
EHLO myhost
502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized

What the mail host sees is:
XXXX myhost

.. something has replaced EHLO with XXXX!!

The only thing I have found that may do this is a misconfigured cisco
pix - but I have no such device... I'm stumped. Does A&A have a pix
lurking somewhere in the loop?

Tony

Tony Hoyle

May 22, 2007, 3:14:11 PM5/22/07
Tony Hoyle wrote:

> The only thing I have found that may do this is a misconfigured cisco
> pix - but I have no such device... I'm stumped. Does A&A have a pix
> lurking somewhere in the loop?

After I got home it turned out to be the 877. The default config has an
option set to disable esmtp.. first I knew it even supported anything
like that at all! So it's not just the pix that does it. Must have
been like that for months...

Tony

Tony Hoyle

May 22, 2007, 4:09:41 PM5/22/07
I've got a wierd problem using SMTP AUTH. Something inbetween me
and the internet is proxying the email and removing the EHLO commands
from the data stream, stopping it working.

>From a known working (can use ESMTP to other servers with it)
connection I type:
$ telnet mail 25
220 mail ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
EHLO myhost
502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized

What the mail host sees is:
XXXX myhost

.. something has replaced EHLO with XXXX!!

The only thing I have found that may do this is a misconfigured cisco

pix - but I have no such device... I'm stumped. Does A&A have a pix
lurking somewhere in the loop?

Tony

Tony Hoyle

May 22, 2007, 4:09:52 PM5/22/07
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rev Adrian Kennard

May 23, 2007, 4:13:01 AM5/23/07

It may be a dumb question, but why on earth would that be a feature of
anything?

Thomas Sandford

May 23, 2007, 4:57:11 AM5/23/07
"Rev Adrian Kennard" <a...@k.gg> wrote in message

Its not a feature, its a "feature".

--
Thomas Sandford

Matthias Scheler

May 27, 2007, 10:18:46 AM5/27/07
In article <46534103$0$646$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,

Tony Hoyle <t...@nodomain.org> writes:
> After I got home it turned out to be the 877.

I assume that's a Cisco 877?

> The default config has an option set to disable esmtp..

What is the command? I've never noticed that my 877W breaks ESMTP but
I would like to make sure that it doesn't.

Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler http://zhadum.org.uk/

Matthias Scheler

May 27, 2007, 10:22:15 AM5/27/07
In article <4653f78d$0$647$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,

Rev Adrian Kennard <a...@k.gg> writes:
> It may be a dumb question, but why on earth would that be a feature of
> anything?

I guess they want to prevent SMTP clients from using "STARTLS" to be
able to monitor the traffic on the SMTP connection. It is a really
bad idea to do that of course but that never stopped Cisco.

Kind regards

P.S. Are there any other A-DSL routers compatible with BT's server which
support IPv6 and IPv4 routing and NAT at the time? When I bought
my 877W it seemed to be the only box capable of doing that.

Tony Hoyle

May 28, 2007, 8:46:55 PM5/28/07
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <46534103$0$646$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>, Tony Hoyle
> <t...@nodomain.org> writes:
>> After I got home it turned out to be the 877.
>
> I assume that's a Cisco 877?
>
>> The default config has an option set to disable esmtp..
>
> What is the command? I've never noticed that my 877W breaks ESMTP but
> I would like to make sure that it doesn't.

It's in the ip inspect options.. SDM by default sets up a config with
'ip inspect smtp' which automatically stops esmtp passing through the router,
so just do a 'no ip inspect name <name> smtp' (I switched them all off except the generic
tcp/udp ones that are needed to make the firewall work, and ftp so active ftp works).

Tony

Andrew Hodgson

Jun 2, 2007, 5:19:02 PM6/2/07
On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:14:11 +0100, Tony Hoyle <t...@nodomain.org>
wrote:

Thanks for the heads up that these routers do this as well as the
ASA/PIX - it took me two months to convince the security experts at
work that this needed disabling - actually I was able to prove it was
damaging a PHP based app which used its own mail functions, and we
disabled it on the PIX.

The later PIX/ASA (probably from 7.x) do allow ESMTP through, but it
still breaks various parts of the protocol.

Thanks.
Andrew.