UMR.Manchester...

Simon O'Connor

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

Just a little hello to the UMR'er(s) who came up to the sweet-shop at Acid
Rock at the Phoenix in Manchseter this Friday... Unfortunately I wasn't
there but am curious as to who it is :-) - also to see if there are many
Manchester based UMR people, if so we could hold some get-togethers like the
London lot do!...

Also all you lurkers out there if you feel anything about what anyone has
said, come on and join in and post [as long as it's not an obvious FAQ].
Don't be shy :-) no-one can see you blushing.

You too can be an introverted extrovert with UMR ;-)

PLUR and join the family...

Simon

Nick Hughes

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

Simon O'Connor (si...@microlib.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Just a little hello to the UMR'er(s) who came up to the sweet-shop at Acid

: Rock at the Phoenix in Manchseter this Friday... Unfortunately I wasn't
: there but am curious as to who it is :-) - also to see if there are many
: Manchester based UMR people, if so we could hold some get-togethers like the
: London lot do!...

Guess i fall into this catergory. I didnt/dont go to acid rock thou, too many
bloody students, too hot, crap beer, too expensive. Viva Acid House ;)
(Rolando didnt turn up, which aint surprising, none of the Chicago/Detroit mob
seem to make it) but Clarkey was good...

Nick

Simon O'Connor

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

nhu...@sna.co.umist.ac.uk (Nick Hughes) wrote:

I actually was meant to be going to that [Bugged Out @ Sankeys Soap] night,
but no-one was up for it, preferring to drink & get stoned... so I drank.

I probably will be going this Friday for Jeff Mills, so might see you down
there, the collective I go with tend to all be in the chill-out area [Matt &
Lois, Jav, Sean, Nick, Kev, Steve, Martin & Dave etc etc] - probably decide
on something reasonably distinctive to wear (possibly an Elephant Beer top,
black, long-sleeved, red circle on the front with a picture of an elephant
on, and on the back the words "Trust your animal instincts" - not sure yet..

Too many students ? ;-) a few less than UMIST I'd guess :-)

Simon...

Jude Mackenzie

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <nD13...@microlib.demon.co.uk>, Simon O'Connor
<si...@microlib.demon.co.uk> writes

>Just a little hello to the UMR'er(s) who came up to the sweet-shop at Acid
>Rock at the Phoenix in Manchseter this Friday... Unfortunately I wasn't
>there but am curious as to who it is :-) - also to see if there are many
>Manchester based UMR people, if so we could hold some get-togethers like the
>London lot do!...

Well, Hello fellow northener ! Alas, Tall Paul & myself are not in
Manchester but Newcastle. Because of the total lack of events up here we
have now started to travel to other areas. We managed EFS -which blew my
mind away ! I honestly suggest trying the EFS at the Fridge 'cos it's
brilliant !

(-ain't Samsara Brilliant ?)

In fact, the lads from Scotland (Joe Public Re: on the wheel) are coming
down for the Dragonfly Party (at the Fridge) so why not give it a bash ?

If you fancy it. Loads of UMR ers will be there !

Also, what's it like down in 'chester ? Is it worth a visit ? Techno ?
Goa/Trance ?

>PLUR and join the family...

More PLUR

--
Jude
Philosophy on life:

"Mind & Body are purely vehicles for Experience"

Stuart Wheelwright

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

OK I admit it, it's a fair cop...I was at the phoenix on Friday night -
It was one of the best nights I've been to for ages - top tunes,
excellent crowd and there was a sweet-shop there too! First time I've
seen one in a club - great idea for when you run out of chewing gum or
feel the need for a lolly.

I did ask if there was a Simon O'Conner around but apparently you weren't there (Sankeys?). Next time I see the sweet-shop though I'll say hi.

I'll briefly introduce myself...
I'm a student (Sorry :-) ) at Manchester University. I am a bit of an UMR
lurker, I don't have much to say but I really enjoy reading everyone
else's posts. The vibe on umr is ace!

I like the idea of a Manchester umr gathering. I'm sure there must be a
lot more lurkers out there :)

See you around.

Stu

Stuart Wheelwright
<whee...@cs.man.ac.uk> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~wheelwrs/

Simon O'Connor

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Jude Mackenzie <Ju...@ashoo.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> there but am curious as to who it is :-) - also to see if there are
>> many Manchester based UMR people, if so we could hold some
>> get-togethers like the London lot do!...

> Well, Hello fellow northener ! Alas, Tall Paul & myself are not in
> Manchester but Newcastle. Because of the total lack of events up here we
> have now started to travel to other areas. We managed EFS -which blew my
> mind away ! I honestly suggest trying the EFS at the Fridge 'cos it's
> brilliant !

I probably will (heard good reports of it), the main problem is
co-ordination to actually get myself and a few others down there at a
mutually agreeable time (posh words for today:-). Also accomodation might be
a problem (depending how much we cane it :-), we could always kip in the
nearest motorway-service station.

I'll have to take a translation book too: [Sth]Batter = [Nth]Butter etc ;-)
any proper chippies down there ? ;-)

> (-ain't Samsara Brilliant ?)

It sounds cool from what I've read/heard

> In fact, the lads from Scotland (Joe Public Re: on the wheel) are coming
> down for the Dragonfly Party (at the Fridge) so why not give it a bash ?

Maybe we could get coordinated and have an 'old-school-rave' get-together
at one of the motorway service stations (M1 is probably most agreeable :-),
follow the car with the flag type thing...

> If you fancy it. Loads of UMR ers will be there !

> Also, what's it like down in 'chester ? Is it worth a visit ? Techno ?
> Goa/Trance ?

Its a bit strange really! - there isn't really much happening on a weekend,
mid-week being better... Some of note which I reckon are worth a visit:

* Spiritus @ The Boardwalk
Occasional Wednesday nighter until 3/4, the next one is the Wednesday
before Club Nation at the GMEX... GOA night with live PAs, small club, but
really nice vibe.. AFAICR Cosmosis will be playing that night. Fluro
face-painting & sweet shop (ours) available.

* Megadog @ The New Ardri
Cool night, timing varies from month to month, but there usually is one
each month or so. Big and cool night.

* Acid Rock @ The Phoenix
Friday nights (something like fortnightly or monthly) Goa & Harder techno,
chill out room playing alternative styles (D&B etc) sweet shop (ours
again, not always though!) really up for it crowd, the only let down is
the door staff can be wankers from time to time.

* Bugged Out @ Sankeys Soap
Every Friday, it's run by Jockey Slut magazine, its less Goa, and more
Funky techno, with the big Techno names appearing (this Weekend its Jeff
Mills, last weekend it was Dave Clarke & Rolando), people like Carl Cox,
Chemical Bros etc. Not very hard or trancey, and also does get some
people who are curious about techno (its the best known techno night
here) but packed with atmosphere.

* Sleuth @ Paradise Factory
Occasional Thursdays, Justin Robertson (Lionrock) is the resident there,
it gets a fair mix of music including softer techno... the last one for
quite a while (the flyer says theyre going to dissapear from public view)
is on the Thursday before the club nation thing at GMEX, and has Andrew
Weatherall and Coldcut. At weekends this is a gay club, so most of the
scally wankers stay away all nights [for fear of being chatted up;-)]
(Slueth is 'mixed', more straight than gay)

The one off nights or occasional nights tend to be the best, its unfortunate
if you want to just 'drop-in' without planning, because you can't guarantee
you'll find a good techno/goa night, some one offs we get are amazing ie:

* Club Nation [of course]
* RTTS have just been [didn't get to go there though :-(]
* Theres a night coming up at Rock World (usually a heavy metal club, but
from time to time promoters hire it out and hold cool techno allnighters
there!)
* Luciens' (luc...@limbo.demon.co.uk) outdoor Continuum parties just outside
of Manchester, theres one this weekend, and I might even be doing a spot
of DJing there.

Thats an idea, maybe Gwynne would like to do an EFS up here ????, hopefully
our own night should be off the ground by October, maybe we should have an
EFS guest night, or EFS room.... [October's a long way off yet though!]

Personally I drift between different styles of dance music during my week (I
like em all equally seeing merits and pitfalls in all of them, and DJ em
all depending on my mood [a dream would be to mix up all the styles and
still have the crowd appreciating the music for what it is, instead of what
label has been attached to it]):

Wednesday: Occasionally (I work normal office hours by day) I'll go along
to nights like Spiritus, or Fat City, anything as a slight
change to what I've been listening to normally. Usually techno,
goa/trance or drum&bass.

Thursday: Similar to Wednesday, but I do go out more often, usually pop
along to wherever the sweet-shop is operating, so I can end up
in all sorts of strange nights from free beer at a Jeremy Healy
night (fairly garagey and overground uplifting house) to Justin
Robertson etc at nights like Sleuth (big mix up of music with
soft/mid techno, hard house, deeps house etc), via nights like
Robodisco (Hard Times DJs), Joy (Dave Quaid), Jester (Various),
High & Dry (last one was Love To Be).

Friday: Techno night, usually Bugged Out @ Sankeys soap, sometimes Acid
Rock and I'll also sometimes try out new nights. Depends on
where everyone else is off to. Sometimes I just end up in a
pub/cafe-bar.

Saturday: Deep House/House/Garage/Soft&Funky Techno night, usually I end
up wherever the sweetshop is, which at the moment is Holy City
Zoo (quite a dressy night, but still an up-for-it crowd), also I
pop along to other clubs where I know people (usually
staff/promoters who usually get me in for free)

Sunday: Private sunday sessions or monging out down at the pub,
sometimes sitting round getting stoned with a free-for-all on my
decks.

Come down here some time!, I'll have to try EFS soon as poss...

PLUR, Simon

Joe Public

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

In <nD24...@microlib.demon.co.uk>, si...@microlib.demon.co.uk (Simon O'Connor) writes:

>Jude Mackenzie <Ju...@ashoo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> In fact, the lads from Scotland (Joe Public Re: on the wheel) are coming
>> down for the Dragonfly Party (at the Fridge) so why not give it a bash ?
>
>Maybe we could get coordinated and have an 'old-school-rave' get-together
>at one of the motorway service stations (M1 is probably most agreeable :-),
>follow the car with the flag type thing...

Yep,
It official,we are going to be there.
At the moment it looks like four of us,'cos TK seems to have vanished.
In anticipation of the event,I actually nipped out during lunchtime to get "Twisted",seeing as Mark Hasley
recommended it as being a good example of Goa Trance.
Given it a first listen,and Im impressed with most of it,although some of it is quite "dark".
I absolutely hate meeting people when Im "sparkling",mainly cos Im dying to get on the floor,
but I would like to at least put faces to names,so can anyone suggest a time and place that
we could meet up for a quick "hello"?
Please email as compuserves news server is very slow.

Simon O'Connor

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

whee...@cs.man.ac.uk (Stuart Wheelwright) wrote:

> OK I admit it, it's a fair cop...I was at the phoenix on Friday night -
> It was one of the best nights I've been to for ages - top tunes,
> excellent crowd and there was a sweet-shop there too! First time I've
> seen one in a club - great idea for when you run out of chewing gum or
> feel the need for a lolly.

One thing that surprisingly doesn't sell as well in most nights is ICE POPS,
we'll have to give out a few freebies, same price per ml as water!!

There is a guy who runs one at Megadog & the Hacienda, he's the only rival,
Randy Candy does the smaller nights.

Jav [the guy who was working that night] started the shop, I just help him
out, and from time to time invest in the stock [ie. like for the GMEX, we'll
probably have to buy somewhere close to 500 quids worth of stock!!!].
The name 'randy candy' was invented by a girl who lives in the same house as
us, but Jav keeps on getting chatted-up by Gay guys getting the wrong
impression from the banner :-)

I'm also the one behind the printed posters [which seem to be very popular,
so much so that every night at least one gets nicked!], the ones with "Stop
gurning.... Get some REAL sweets at the sweet shop" and various mad
photos/clip-art in the middle go down best.

> I did ask if there was a Simon O'Conner around but apparently you
> weren't there (Sankeys?). Next time I see the sweet-shop though I'll say
> hi.

I actually ended up in a pub (no not the phoenix ;-), having a few quiet
drinks (I'd been out to a club the night before and worked all Friday from
9-5, so I was a little knackered!)

This Friday I'll be one of 3 places: Acid Rock (If the sweet shop is there),
Sankeys Soap (Jeff Mills), or The Hacienda (Todd Terry, the clubs 14th
birthday and I've been offered a free-ticket).

We'll probably have the sweets in Sankeys after September too! (because the
club are opening up another level!)

> I like the idea of a Manchester umr gathering. I'm sure there must be a
> lot more lurkers out there :)

Club Nation isn't that far off, so maybe we'll see most of this group there
(?!), also by October hopefully we (me, Jav & a few others) will have a
night off the ground, we'll probably guest-list prolific UMRers, and
heavily-discounted-guest the others!

Places you should 98% be able to see the sweet-shop at (I'll probably be
there most of the time):

This Sunday: I'll be at Continuum, the sweet-shop might be too, you
might even get a glimpse of me DJing!

Wednesday 5th June: Spritius [Boardwalk], live PA from Cosmosis
Thursday 6th June: Sleuth [Paradise Factory], Coldcut, Andy Weatherall
Friday 7th June: Where else! - Club Nation
Saturday 8th June: In the morning, we're hoping to hold an after-GMEX party
in Fallowfield [15 minute bus ride from GMEX] until the
football at 5, then get some sleep, and probably do Holy
City Zoo at night.

Saturdays: usually Holy City Zoo depending on how wrecked everyone was the
night before, and if there are any special events taking place.

> The vibe on umr is ace!

Yep, the friendliest corner of the internet where we can talk about our
lifestyles in a civilised way without too much intervention from the 'ooh no
thats bad, you can't do that' lobby. [No I'm not talking about drugs either,
our lifestyle as a whole]

Simon...

Mark Halsey

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

Joe Public said,

>In anticipation of the event,I actually nipped out during lunchtime to get
"Twisted",seeing as >Mark Hasley
>recommended it as being a good example of Goa Trance.
>Given it a first listen,and Im impressed with most of it,although some of it
is quite "dark".

Joe, yes I 100% agree ....IM very HO there are three main divisions
(possibly more) of the goa (psychedelic trance) sound

1 = dark, scary style - ala Twisted (Hallucinogen) and lots of Israilli
stuff
2 = fluffy, morning type, anthemic, music style - ala Astral projection,
MWNN, Doof
3 = mad, sqiggly, rocking, acidic journey ala Green Nuns.....Cosmosis etc

Of course the artists do cross over styles a lot (except Hallucinogen whose
tradename is dark music.)

Hallucinogen (playing at the Fridge Friday) really is very dark .

So my recommendation mebbe should have had a warning that this (Twisted) is
not fully representative of the full goa style. TIP and Transient
collections are. Sorry if I mislead you.

As you may be aware I love it all.

Mark_H <oh so slightly dissapearing up his own jacksy with this posting)
....hey it's dark in here ;-)

Stephen Kennedy

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

Mark Halsey wrote:
> Of course the artists do cross over styles a lot (except Hallucinogen whose
> tradename is dark music.)
>
> Hallucinogen (playing at the Fridge Friday) really is very dark .

Interesting. Hallucinogen's track on TIP blue was the one that stood out,
for me at least.

-Steve
"My vision - one nation, one tribe, one day will come the might to move
any mountain" (Shamen)
http://users.aol.com/g0lri/ http://users.aol.com/kkingboy/ G0LRI

Malcolm Campbell

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article: <nD2C...@microlib.demon.co.uk> si...@microlib.demon.co.uk (Simon O'Connor)
writes:

> One thing that surprisingly doesn't sell as well in most nights is ICE POPS,
> we'll have to give out a few freebies, same price per ml as water!!

I'm amazed ! I was in the Cafe de Paris (well, errr, umm, ... nobody's
perfect!) once a year or two back and some guy came round selling those
_long_ ice pops - they're great for using as ice packs to cool yourself
down with, and then you can eat/drink/SLURP them!

Brilliant! Get some! Now!

Plur,

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Campbell
Edinburgh.

Mark Halsey

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

Mark Halsey wrote:
> Of course the artists do cross over styles a lot (except Hallucinogen whose
> tradename is dark music.)
>
> Hallucinogen (playing at the Fridge Friday) really is very dark .

Steve Kennedy replied,

>Interesting. Hallucinogen's track on TIP blue was the one that stood out,
>for me at least.

Same here (also the Green Nuns track)....... just to clear up any
missunderstanding....... cos it is dark psy trance does not mean it is no
good in my opinion. Ps Steve, Hallucinogens Twisted is very very good if you
like darkish psy trance.............as you seem to like the Shammanix remix
you will love the origional!! which is on the album.

Mark_H as Hallucinogen played at EFS last night there should be some
reviews of the performance....... if I remember Hallucinogen do not (does not
- one bloke) put on a visual show like some of the other acts seen there
recently but the music is very very good.

Mark_H

Andrew Broderick

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

[...]

<proposals of highly gorrvy-sounding old skool rave deleted>

Hello from another Northerner, from Leeds this time. I've only come across
about 2 other UMRers from Leeds. I'd be up for a UMR get-together in
Manchester or whatever. Count me in as interested ...

Anyd
(bad spellers of the world untie)

Andrew Jonathan J. Broderick, "Our father in cyberspace,
Somewhere in Leeds, Aspinall be thy name,
England. Thy kingdom come,

Simon O'Connor

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Andrew Broderick <an...@mft.co.uk> wrote:

> <proposals of highly gorrvy-sounding old skool rave deleted>

> Hello from another Northerner, from Leeds this time. I've only come
> across about 2 other UMRers from Leeds. I'd be up for a UMR get-together
> in Manchester or whatever. Count me in as interested ...

I suppose the best place for an initial knees up has been thrown right on my
doorstep - Club Nation at GMEX, I'll be there definately, maybe even selling
(still a few finer points to be sorted out, such as our rivals saying theyre
doing it and we're not (one of the organisers has reassured us though)) the
following goodies:

* Water pistols - 3 different colourschemes [A: Yellow gun, green water tank
B: Blue gun, yellow water tank and C: Red gun and yellow water tank],
hopefully we'll be selling them for less than the price of a bottle of
water [even less than that if its still worth our whiles] - don't know how
many to get though! - 100?, 200?, more ?

* Light Sticks - still sorting these out, but the longish ones in all
colours for cheaper than you pay at Megadog.

* Poppers - assuming we can pursuade the supplier to do them cheap enough

* King Size Rizlas - no idea which security firm is doing the doors though,
so we don't know how well theyll sell. [no we won't be selling 'filling'
for them either :-)]

* Sweets, all sorts of sticky, powdery, chewy sweets (Refresher bars,
drumstick lollies, traffic light lollies, giant cola-bottles, sour
tongues, dolly beads etc etc)

* Ice pops - Flintstones ice-pops in all flavours (so long as people don't
all buy the same colour [remembering the girl in Paradise who bought about
20 blue ice pops in one night])

We'll have to rename it - 'The one stop clubbers shop'

Other nights possibly worthy of some form of meet-up in the same week could
be (I'll be at all of them):

Spiritus @ The Boardwalk on the Wednesday, underground squidgy-Goa Trance
night, with a live PA by Cosmosis/Lauging Buddha. On until about
4 (yes the licensing laws in Manchester need revising!)

Sleuth @ Paradise Factory on the Thursday, Justin Robertsons night, and this
is the last one for quite a while, ColdCut & Andy Weatherall are
there. {and although its a gay club most weekends, the sleuth
nights are straight/mixed}.

I don't know what I'm doing Saturday night (if I can manage it ;-)

And the weekend after the biggie for me will probably be Luciens' Continuum
party on the Saturday, I'll probably end up going down after a club, I might
even be DJing there (playing my acidic-techno tunes) - I can't give any
details of it here, just it'll be 30 minutes to an hour drive from the city
centre (depends if you're listening to Robert Miles or not ;-) - contact
Lucien for proper details (luc...@libmo.demon.co.uk)...

Simon.

Mike Slocombe

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <nD6E...@microlib.demon.co.uk>, Simon O'Connor
<si...@microlib.demon.co.uk> writes

>* Poppers - assuming we can pursuade the supplier to do them cheap enough

Just out of idle curiosity...but how much do poppers cost when you buy
in bulk?
I've seen 'em knocked out for 2 quid a bottle down here (if you buy
three at once), but they must be *dirt* cheap if you buy a crateload of
the stuff. I mean it's only a mix of dodgy regular chemicals, isn't it?
(*nice* chemicals though!)

Mike
Mike Slocombe Brixton, London. http://www.display.co.uk/ffacja
****Football Fans Against the Criminal Justice Act****
Rated amongst the top 5% of all sites on the Internet by Point Survey!
COMING SOON! Urban75 Magazine: http://gpsinternet.com/urban75/

Hussein McGaw

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

On Fri, 31 May 1996 22:19:38 +0100, Mike Slocombe
<mi...@urban75.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <nD6E...@microlib.demon.co.uk>, Simon O'Connor
><si...@microlib.demon.co.uk> writes
>>

>>* Poppers - assuming we can pursuade the supplier to do them cheap enough
>
>Just out of idle curiosity...but how much do poppers cost when you buy
>in bulk?
>I've seen 'em knocked out for 2 quid a bottle down here (if you buy
>three at once), but they must be *dirt* cheap if you buy a crateload of
>the stuff. I mean it's only a mix of dodgy regular chemicals, isn't it?

Not *amyl nitrate* that's for sure.

Jude

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <31b1985f...@news.u-net.com>, Hussein McGaw
<fear...@sasakti.u-net.com> writes
Well, I don't know what quality usual Amyl nitrate is (as in
pharmaceutical or standard reagent, 95 percent or AMLAR 99.9 percent
purity) It could also be diluted but again I don't know !

But Sigma Aldrich sells 500ml bottle for 44.00 ukp. (AMLAR ie 99.9
percent pure)

:-! <yuk !>

--
Jude
" Mind & Body are purely Vehicles for Experience "

Hussein McGaw

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:11:07 +0100, Jude <Ju...@ashoo.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>>Not *amyl nitrate* that's for sure.
>>
>Well, I don't know what quality usual Amyl nitrate is (as in
>pharmaceutical or standard reagent, 95 percent or AMLAR 99.9 percent
>purity) It could also be diluted but again I don't know !
>
>But Sigma Aldrich sells 500ml bottle for 44.00 ukp. (AMLAR ie 99.9
>percent pure)

Sorry Jude, but I don't know much about it - once again there's a long
interval between when I first *did* it - and when the drug became
commonly recreational. I don't know how I got wind of it, but I
remember being able to go into a chemists and, with a story concocted
(though I never had to use it) about my mum's *heart* condition, get a
packet of these glass ampoule thingys. Basically we used to crack an
ampoule into a hankerchief and pass the resultant wad of vapour
rapidly around the circle of those mad enough to participate. The
effect (invariably) was that we all simply fell about in paroxysms of
laughter. The evident discomfort and confusion of anyone not *in the
circle* just made the whole thing yet more side-slitting. Mention of
the very concept of sex or dancing (things normally associated these
days with *poppers*) would probably have had us lying flat on our
backs, legs and arms in the air, baying at the ceiling. (seem to
remember that happening anyway :)

No smelly feet and sickly headache either.

Maybe poppers are butyl rather than amyl - maybe it's all the same but
we were just young at the time.

:)

Luv ya

Simon O'Connor

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Mike Slocombe <mi...@urban75.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Just out of idle curiosity...but how much do poppers cost when you buy
> in bulk? I've seen 'em knocked out for 2 quid a bottle down here (if you
> buy three at once), but they must be *dirt* cheap if you buy a crateload
> of the stuff. I mean it's only a mix of dodgy regular chemicals, isn't

> it? (*nice* chemicals though!)

AFAIK All depends exactly on the mix and strength - some much weaker, more
headache, less-rush types are cheaper, usually unbranded, whereas the
branded ones are stronger, but more expensive (ie at least 2 pounds each).
We haven't actually got hold of any just yet. We might borrow some off a
club we know on sale-or-return, or get them to tell us their supplier (the
club I'm thinking of sells them at a fiver a bottle (usual price? -
unbranded, reasonable quality), so I've no idea how much they get them
for...

We won't be buying too many bottles, A:because people bring their own in,
and B:if we're left with any spare, theyre harder to get rid of later (some
clubs won't allow them, and those which don't mind sell them themselves)

Simon.

John F

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

LCws...@ashoo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Monday, Jun 03, 1996 21.49.48

In article: <eppMdJAL...@ashoo.demon.co.uk> Jude <Ju...@ashoo.demon.co.uk>
writes:

> In article <31b1985f...@news.u-net.com>, Hussein McGaw
> <fear...@sasakti.u-net.com> writes
> >

> >Not *amyl nitrate* that's for sure.
> >
> Well, I don't know what quality usual Amyl nitrate is (as in
> pharmaceutical or standard reagent, 95 percent or AMLAR 99.9 percent
> purity) It could also be diluted but again I don't know !
>
> But Sigma Aldrich sells 500ml bottle for 44.00 ukp. (AMLAR ie 99.9
> percent pure)

Yes, but poppers you buy are labelled isobutyl nitrite, is this the
same thing?
--
_ _
| | ___ | |_ _ _ "If you follow all the rules,
_| |/ o \| ' || ' | you miss all the fun"
(___/\___/|_|_||_|_| Ferguson (Katharine Hepburn)

Pete Bentley

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Hussein McGaw <fear...@sasakti.u-net.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 04 Jun 1996 07:18:36 GMT, John F <fer...@dunromin.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:

>>Yes, but poppers you buy are labelled isobutyl nitrite, is this the
>>same thing?

Yeah, all volatile nitrites have pretty much the same effect (muscle
relaxation, blood vessel dilation, serious oxygen rush). Some smell
worse than others.

>Those ampoules were presumably *amyl nitrate* - thats what I asked for
>and that's what the chemist gave me.
>
>Does anyone know the facts (not that I'm that interested).

Nitrite, not nitrate. Nitrates are pretty boring unless you're into
explosives & stuff.

More facts at http://www.hyperreal.com/drugs/inhalants/rush

Pete.

Hussein McGaw

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

I'm glad you said that because after I posted:

<No smelly feet and sickly headache either>

(when talking about the glass ampoules in the early days) - I got to
thinking.

Somewhere I have in my mind a very strong association between poppers
and a truly disgusting smell of bad feet when the vapour had <gone
off>. I mean truly disgusting. Maybe it's a case of my mind
preferring to forget something unpleasant. I remember some of the
early commercial bottled stuff being a bit stinky - the *stronger*
ones anyway.

Come to think of it, a bunch of people going into apopleptic laughter
over an intensely private joke is a trifle anti-social. If you add to
that an after-smell of bad feet, you don't really have the makings of
a recreational drug. However - if you add (or replace with) a
different (related) compound - different (milder) buzz, and perhaps
less stink - you might have something which (at one time) they were
passing off as room freshner !

Joe Public

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

>AFAIK All depends exactly on the mix and strength - some much weaker, more
>headache, less-rush types are cheaper, usually unbranded, whereas the
>branded ones are stronger, but more expensive (ie at least 2 pounds each).

[snip]

Anyone know what the downside (potential dangers) are of poppers?
Id just like to be in a position of evaluating the risks..

Joe Public

John F

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

Not dissimilar to any other solvent abuse, I imagine.

John F

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

Hussein McGaw writes:

> On 4 Jun 1996 16:43:38 +0100, pe...@mimir.com (Pete Bentley) wrote:
>
> Thanks Pete,> I looked it up.
>
> This struck me:
>
> *The increase in oxygen also leads to a sudden intensification
> of current positive emotions, thus increasing one's lust and lack of
> inhibition, encouraging a sense of raw animal sexuality*.
>
> Maybe he should have left out the word *positive* so we could come to
> our own conclusions..

How apt.

Anthony Plewes

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

<< Anyone know what the downside (potential dangers) are of poppers?
Id just like to be in a position of evaluating the risks.. >>

I believe that they can cause haemorraging (sp!) and have been linked to
the onset of AIDS due to weakening of the immune system.
but i am no medical expert
laters
ants
.

Mike Slocombe

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

In article <DsMKs...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, "\"Anthony Plewes\""
<an...@cix.compulink.co.uk> writes

Well according to 'Drug Warning' written and approved by our friends at
The Met, amyl doesn't seem *that* bad for you.

It lists the possible side effects from *large* doses and extended use
as 'possibly causing nausea, dizziness, delirium, decreased heart rate
(I thought that was good for you?), impaired respiration, low blood
pressure and fainting.
Both psychological dependence and tolerance may develop'

Seeing as it is a police-based book which generally doesn't promote
anything but the ill-effects of any drug, I think that it shows that it
isn't really that bad for you at all - so long as you haven't got a
dodgy ticker! In fact, I've never heard of a single death from amyl
nitrate, although I'm sure there must be.

There were some rumours about AIDS and amyl a few years ago but nothing
has been proven to date.

Enjoy!

Mike

Football Fans Against the Criminal Justice Act www.display.co.uk/ffacja

Rated amongst the top 5% of all sites on the Internet by Point Survey!

B.Jones Comic:www.display.co.uk/ffacja/bjones 'Beautifully drawn!'-The Guardian

Hussein McGaw

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:33:08 +0100, Mike Slocombe
<mi...@urban75.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>There were some rumours about AIDS and amyl a few years ago but nothing
>has been proven to date.

Yeah - that bloke Duisberg - who tried to imply that HIV alone did not
cause AIDS; it was to do with the perverse lifestles of the people who
were catching it. For the want of a remotely plausible explanation -
it sort of all fell on the head of *poppers* (or something). Problem
was - he was one of the blokes who first dicovered the virus (I
think).

I'm not that well up on it. (Up on something else tonight)

Good vibes Officer.

Alastair

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

an...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Anthony Plewes") wrote:

><< Anyone know what the downside (potential dangers) are of poppers?
>Id just like to be in a position of evaluating the risks.. >>

>I believe that they can cause haemorraging (sp!) and have been linked to
>the onset of AIDS due to weakening of the immune system.
>but i am no medical expert

>laters
>ants
>.

This is rubbish. Now although I don't believe everything I read (and
neither should anyone), a recent read was 'Medical Blunders' (title
says it all I think!) and the AIDS 'link' was side by side with ;

Marijuana use
angel dust
lsd
semen itself
'lifestyle'

It's probably not a good idea to use poppers if one has AIDS (or only
HIV+ or any disease really) but a causal link ? no.

Each to their own - in moderation.

Best Wishes,

*--> Alastair
*--> London SW9

Simon O'Connor

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

an...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Anthony Plewes") wrote:

> << Anyone know what the downside (potential dangers) are of poppers? Id
> just like to be in a position of evaluating the risks.. >>

> I believe that they can cause haemorraging (sp!) and have been linked to
> the onset of AIDS due to weakening of the immune system. but i am no
> medical expert

I think this could just be some total un-researched speculation, in the same
way as the media twisted the true facts about MDMA, and deliberately
mis-quoted scientists researching the drug. (so now the general idea all
parents and 'normal' people have is take ONE pill and you ARE going to die).

I reckon a possible origin of the idea amyl can accelerate/assist HIV/AIDS
was dreamt up like this:

Gay men take poppers more than anyone else, and it was originally only Gay
men... The same group also are probably more likely to get AIDS/HIV - so
when some scientist is trying to work out HOW theyre getting AIDS etc. They
look at the COMMON aspects between all the sufferers ie. they all took
poppers in the last year, and they all have AIDS...

It probably does weaken the imune system slightly too, it's not necessarily
a nice drug - ok once in a while to bring yourself up on something else, or
for a 'quick' 3 minutes of madness, but not all night.