Rachel Unthank interviewed

Skip to the first unread message

Colin Randall

2 Feb 2008, 06:54:3302/02/2008
I hope it's OK to mention here that I have just posted a three-part
interview with Rachel Unthank at http:salutlive.com
She deals with most things, including her feelings about the recent
outbreak of sniping against her, her voice, her sister, her band, her
record distribution deal, you name it, She's not everyone's cup of tea
of course, but there's no holding back on anything I put to her.

Steve Mansfield

2 Feb 2008, 09:33:1802/02/2008
"Colin Randall" <colinr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Good grief, and there was I thinking that I was the only one who found that
CD completely unlistenable.

I bought it last month on the strength of all the 'album of the year'
accolades and a couple of entertaining interviews I'd read, and quite
frankly couldn't believe I was listening to the same CD that everyone was
raving about.

Nice to know I'm not alone after all!

--
Steve Mansfield
Manchester, England

Jon Hall

2 Feb 2008, 20:10:4202/02/2008
In message <Oa%oj.1987$zg....@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>
"Steve Mansfield" <sfm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Colin Randall" <colinr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I hope it's OK to mention here that I have just posted a three-part
> > interview with Rachel Unthank at http:salutlive.com
> > She deals with most things, including her feelings about the recent
> > outbreak of sniping against her, her voice, her sister, her band, her
> > record distribution deal, you name it, She's not everyone's cup of tea
> > of course, but there's no holding back on anything I put to her.
>
> Good grief, and there was I thinking that I was the only one who found that
> CD completely unlistenable.

Why?

> Nice to know I'm not alone after all!

Not alone with the 'Stupid gene' that seems to be doing the rounds I
guess.
Jon.

--
jgc....@tiscali.co.uk
http://www.mcvax.org/jghall/

Richard Robinson

2 Feb 2008, 20:44:0502/02/2008
Jon Hall said:

> the 'Stupid gene' that seems to be doing the rounds

Thanks for the warning, I shall watch out for it. How does one avoid getting
infected by a gene ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://www.qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Jon Hall

2 Feb 2008, 20:58:3702/02/2008
In message <47a51c65$0$513$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> Jon Hall said:
> >
> > the 'Stupid gene' that seems to be doing the rounds
>
> Thanks for the warning, I shall watch out for it. How does one avoid getting
> infected by a gene ?

Plat 'The Bairns' each morning before you start your day, avoid soaps,
don't even consider watching 'Alien vs Predator 3', book tickets for
Cropredy, check out Pentangles July tour, play some Ali Roberts.See
Fairport on the Wintour, Oh and see Rachel and the band. They are
wonderful. It's easy really.

Keith Cunningham

3 Feb 2008, 01:25:4003/02/2008

"Steve Mansfield" <sfm...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Good grief, and there was I thinking that I was the only one who found
that
> CD completely unlistenable.
>
> I bought it last month on the strength of all the 'album of the year'
> accolades and a couple of entertaining interviews I'd read, and quite
> frankly couldn't believe I was listening to the same CD that everyone was
> raving about.
>
> Nice to know I'm not alone after all!

I was particularly sad to hear that "On a Monday Morning" track. It's a
song I associate with Cyril Tawney and I was irritated to hear it sung in
what sounded to me like a childish caricature of our regional accent.

KC

Steve Mansfield

3 Feb 2008, 08:14:0203/02/2008

"Jon Hall" <jgc....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <Oa%oj.1987$zg....@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>
> "Steve Mansfield" <sfm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Why?

It's the voice - out of tune pretty much all the way through, vocal lines
audibly stitched together from multiple takes without much attempt to
disguise the different recording levels, and an emotionless monotonous
delivery. The backing tracks are inventive and well-worked, it's just a
shame that they forgot to replace the rough guide vocal with properly sung
retakes before releasing the CD. There's software which will fix the tuning
problems in post-producion if the artist can't.

>> Nice to know I'm not alone after all!
>
> Not alone with the 'Stupid gene' that seems to be doing the rounds I
> guess.
> Jon.

So hang on, just because I disagree with your opinion that makes me
'stupid'?

I've answered your question and stated my reasons. On the strength of that
CD I certainly wouldn't go and see them, just in case the CD *is* a faithful
representation of their live sound. If that makes me 'stupid' then so be it,
I've got better things to do than play name-calling games on Usenet.

Marjorie

3 Feb 2008, 09:35:2503/02/2008
No, you're not! I found her disappointing too.

--
Marjorie

Tony Quinn

3 Feb 2008, 10:02:3803/02/2008
In message <13qbk9m...@corp.supernews.com>, Marjorie
<dontuseth...@springequinox.co.uk> writes

There does seem to be a touch of the "Emperor's New Clothes" about a few
acts these days.

As an example, I find Kate Rusby's voice intensely irritating, yet
frequently get condemned as a heretic when I say so - it's almost that
by not liking the voice/style of a high-profile folk artiste that one is
attacking the whole genre.

--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and

Richard Robinson

3 Feb 2008, 10:19:5703/02/2008
Jon Hall said:
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> Jon Hall said:
>> >
>> > the 'Stupid gene' that seems to be doing the rounds
>>
>> Thanks for the warning, I shall watch out for it. How does one avoid getting
>> infected by a gene ?
>
> Plat 'The Bairns' each morning before you start your day, avoid soaps,
> don't even consider watching 'Alien vs Predator 3', book tickets for
> Cropredy, check out Pentangles July tour, play some Ali Roberts.See
> Fairport on the Wintour, Oh and see Rachel and the band. They are
> wonderful. It's easy really.

<scratches head> Perhaps it inhibits breeding, somehow ?

Chris J Dixon

3 Feb 2008, 11:18:5103/02/2008
Colin Randall wrote:

>I hope it's OK to mention here that I have just posted a three-part
>interview with Rachel Unthank at http:salutlive.com

I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
to resize it. Is the problem at my end or yours?

Chris

Marjorie

3 Feb 2008, 11:25:1203/02/2008
Steve Mansfield wrote:
> "Jon Hall" <jgc....@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <Oa%oj.1987$zg....@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>
>> "Steve Mansfield" <sfm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why?
>>

> It's the voice - out of tune pretty much all the way through, vocal lines
> audibly stitched together from multiple takes without much attempt to
> disguise the different recording levels, and an emotionless monotonous
> delivery. The backing tracks are inventive and well-worked, it's just a
> shame that they forgot to replace the rough guide vocal with properly sung
> retakes before releasing the CD.

Yes. thanks for putting into words what I just found vaguely troubling
about the overall sound.
Actually I find the backing tracks a bit much - they're skillfully done,
but just a bit fussy and over-orchestrated for my taste.

There's software which will fix the tuning
> problems in post-producion if the artist can't.

which is all very well for a recording but isn't much use for live
performance.

>>> Nice to know I'm not alone after all!
>> Not alone with the 'Stupid gene' that seems to be doing the rounds I
>> guess.
>> Jon.
>
> So hang on, just because I disagree with your opinion that makes me
> 'stupid'?
>
> I've answered your question and stated my reasons. On the strength of that
> CD I certainly wouldn't go and see them, just in case the CD *is* a faithful
> representation of their live sound. If that makes me 'stupid' then so be it,
> I've got better things to do than play name-calling games on Usenet.

Me and you both.

--
Marjorie

Tony F

3 Feb 2008, 13:32:0703/02/2008
Tony Quinn wrote:

> There does seem to be a touch of the "Emperor's New Clothes" about a few
> acts these days.
>
> As an example, I find Kate Rusby's voice intensely irritating, yet
> frequently get condemned as a heretic when I say so - it's almost that
> by not liking the voice/style of a high-profile folk artiste that one is
> attacking the whole genre.

Matches the wife's opinion. Ten songs from KR is the audible equivalent
of sucking a sugar cube, according to SWMBO.

I must be slightly more resistant but I can understand what she means....

TF

Colin Randall

4 Feb 2008, 04:13:4704/02/2008
On 3 Feb, 20:18, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:

> I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
> to resize it.  Is the problem at my end or yours?
>
> Chris

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text too
small to follow comfortably (feel free to say the content is
unreadable on other grounds, too, though that's probably a different
matter). My eyesight is not great and I don't have trouble with it, so
I am rather hoping it's specific to Chris.

Much as I enjoy KR and the Unthank sisters, incidentally, I can see
quite easily how other listeners would find them irritating or
unlistenable. The nature of individual taste takes care of these
differences of opinion. My objection is to strongly expressed opinion
- on either side of the argument - descending into abuse, and the
Unthank issue seems to have inspired a fair share of that.

johnb

4 Feb 2008, 04:54:5604/02/2008

Just another tuppence-worth...

Kate I think is fine in small doses. I just find her delivery too
same-y after a while. I do find her quite a charming performer though
and I like the way she's stuck up for her folk-ness and not gone
"commercial" which I'm sure she could have.

As for Rachel Unthank, I think she (and her Winterset) are taking
risks with the music - which I think is a "good thing" - and there
will inevitably be those who dislike the results. We had them live at
the club a little while back and I found the show to be quite
enthralling. The first album, too, is one I really enjoy listening
to; the second I feel is a little more patchy and I need to be "in the
right mood" to listen to it which hasn't happened enough times yet.
Still I think I'd give it more pluses than minuses.

Now, does this make me a "stupid"?

Just to go against the fashion on one current hero, I've tried hard
but I can't quite get Seth Lakeman.

Jack Campin - bogus address

4 Feb 2008, 05:18:5404/02/2008
>> I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
>> to resize it.  Is the problem at my end or yours?
> I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text
> too small to follow comfortably

Same here (iCab 2.9.9 on MacOS 9). When I try to resize it, the
headings enlarge but the text doesn't.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====

Message has been deleted

Mark Bluemel

4 Feb 2008, 05:32:3804/02/2008
johnb wrote:
> On 4 Feb, 09:13, Colin Randall <colinranda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Much as I enjoy KR and the Unthank sisters, incidentally, I can see
>> quite easily how other listeners would find them irritating or
>> unlistenable. The nature of individual taste takes care of these
>> differences of opinion. My objection is to strongly expressed opinion
>> - on either side of the argument - descending into abuse, and the
>> Unthank issue seems to have inspired a fair share of that.
>
> Just another tuppence-worth...

To which I'll add another 2p.

> Kate I think is fine in small doses. I just find her delivery too
> same-y after a while.

Precisely. She is (or at least seems) singularly narrow in what she
does - it's flat, not in terms of intonation but in terms of expression.

I like her performance on "Village Green Preservation Society", though.
It "felt right".

> As for Rachel Unthank, I think she (and her Winterset) are taking
> risks with the music - which I think is a "good thing" - and there
> will inevitably be those who dislike the results.

I'd seen lots of discussion of her, with the suggestion that she was
the salvation of British folk, before hearing some of her work on the
radio. On the basis of what I heard, I won't be seeking out more - the
vocals I found irritatingly mannered and the arrangements fussy,
fragmented and not well enough executed.

Phil Taylor

4 Feb 2008, 05:42:1104/02/2008
In article <bogus-D462C4....@news.news.demon.net>, Jack

Campin - bogus address <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
> >> to resize it.  Is the problem at my end or yours?
> > I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text
> > too small to follow comfortably
>
> Same here (iCab 2.9.9 on MacOS 9). When I try to resize it, the
> headings enlarge but the text doesn't.

No problem here with iCab 4.0.0 under OS 10.5.1, nor with Safari.

Phil Taylor

Stephen Kellett

4 Feb 2008, 07:24:1304/02/2008
In message <45qbq3d945jd1o560...@4ax.com>, Chris J Dixon
<ch...@cdixon.me.uk> writes

>I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
>to resize it. Is the problem at my end or yours?

Seems OK to me in IE and Firefox. As websites go the text size seems
larger than most sites I visit.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html

Molly Mockford

4 Feb 2008, 09:52:5304/02/2008
At 10:30:20 on Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Tim Hodgson
<thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote in
<1ibs7td.1yvz6091psnkriN%thn...@poboxmolar.com.invalid>:

>> > I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text
>> > too small to follow comfortably
>>
>> Same here (iCab 2.9.9 on MacOS 9). When I try to resize it, the
>> headings enlarge but the text doesn't.
>

>No problem resizing in OS X (Omniweb, Firefox and Safari)

Works fine in IE6 and Firefox 2 on WinXP. The font size in the
short-but-sweet CSS file is not pixel-fixed, and no browser ought to
struggle to re-size it.
--
Molly Mockford
deserve neither liberty nor safety - Benjamin Franklin

Jon Hall

4 Feb 2008, 10:07:5404/02/2008
I withdraw my comment about 'The stupid gene'. I was made in jest, and
not intended to offend.
Apologies.

Chris Rockcliffe

4 Feb 2008, 11:16:1004/02/2008
Jack Campin - bogus address04/02/2008 10:18 am

In frustration, I have finally moved to OSX (Tiger) and can run MacOS9 on a
separate hard drive. These days if you try to go anywhere fancy in
cyberspace, then MacOS9 fucks it all up.

Pages don't sit right, text and images all over the place, music and video
not working properly; etc etc. OS9 and earlier are simply no longer
supported by anything other than outdated browsers. The IT designers are
working only with supporting OSX and most likely only late Panther releases
onwards.

Jack, I suspect you know a lot more about computers than I do, but you could
pick up a 500Mhz G4 now with OSX and OS9 both loaded for comparative peanuts
(as I did). Or, for a bit more, a G4 with 800 -1 Gig processor for a bit
more speed if you really need it. There are some real benefits to be had. I
still like OS9 for many things. All these machines will upgrade to a 1.8 Ghz
processor running OSX Tiger if you want and 2 Gb RAM.

CR

limestone-cowboy

4 Feb 2008, 15:32:1704/02/2008
Having seen RU&W live at the Big Session I enjoyed them there enough to
buy the CD The Bairns and apart from a couple of things I'm
disappointed. The vocals sound more adenoidal and the flow doesn't seem
to be right. If you sound like have a cold don't record a song!

Don't want to be cruel, sisters!

Jack Campin - bogus address

4 Feb 2008, 20:44:2404/02/2008
>> Same here (iCab 2.9.9 on MacOS 9). When I try to resize it, the
>> headings enlarge but the text doesn't.
> In frustration, I have finally moved to OSX (Tiger) and can run MacOS9
> on a separate hard drive. These days if you try to go anywhere fancy in
> cyberspace, then MacOS9 fucks it all up.

There's an iMac G5, 2Gb memory, running Panther with the latest Firefox
and all the trimmings twenty feet away. I go there when I need to look
at YouTube videos. But this old 9600 suits me better for almost everything
else, as it has two fair-sized monitors, and the MacOS 9 Finder is much
slicker than anything Apple has done since.

> Jack, I suspect you know a lot more about computers than I do, but you could
> pick up a 500Mhz G4 now with OSX and OS9 both loaded for comparative peanuts
> (as I did). Or, for a bit more, a G4 with 800 -1 Gig processor for a bit
> more speed if you really need it. There are some real benefits to be had. I
> still like OS9 for many things. All these machines will upgrade to a 1.8 Ghz
> processor running OSX Tiger if you want and 2 Gb RAM.

[tune: Lowlands Away]

I dreamed a dream the other night
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
I dreamed a dream the other night,
Lion, Lion ahead.

I dreamt I tried to use eBay,
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
It told me, try some other way,
Lion, Lion ahead.

I dreamt I tried Google Video,
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
It said my Mac was far too slow,
Lion, Lion ahead.

I looked on Facebook to find a friend,
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
Scripts would crash and my friendships end,
Lion, Lion ahead.

I tried buying porn with my credit card,
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
But my Java flopped and the sale was barred,
Lion, Lion ahead.

My Mac would show me no tit nor bum,
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
And so I knew its time had come,
Lion, Lion ahead.

On the net I could not raise my head,
Lion, Lion ahead, dear Jobs,
And so I knew my Mac was dead,
Lion, Lion ahead.

Chris Rockcliffe

4 Feb 2008, 20:45:0104/02/2008
Steve Mansfield02/02/2008 2:33 pm

Maybe you need to be younger then me and have different ears to enjoy it -
but then our ability to hear vocal intonation and pitch correctly doesn't
change much with age. No, you are not alone Steve. Perhaps a really good
critical record producer/engineer could get the best from them.

There are a lot of up and coming, talented youngsters around, but I've been
totally underwhelmed on everything I've heard from this lot so far. If
they're successful good luck to them.

CR

Chris Rockcliffe

5 Feb 2008, 08:06:2905/02/2008
Jack Campin - bogus address05/02/2008 1:44 am

LOL... VG !!

Well, thanks for clearing that one up.

CR

Mike Edie

6 Feb 2008, 05:53:2606/02/2008
Colin Randall wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 20:18, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
>> to resize it. Is the problem at my end or yours?
>>
>> Chris
>
> I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text too
> small to follow comfortably (feel free to say the content is
> unreadable on other grounds, too, though that's probably a different
> matter). My eyesight is not great and I don't have trouble with it, so
> I am rather hoping it's specific to Chris.

I did find a dud link. Somewhere three was a link to Belinda leaving
with a the URL "http:///" which aint good.

Pete

6 Feb 2008, 05:58:5006/02/2008
On 2008-02-04, Colin Randall <colinr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text too
> small to follow comfortably

Looks fine to me, Firefox on OpenSolaris

Chris J Dixon

6 Feb 2008, 06:53:0006/02/2008
Colin Randall wrote:

>On 3 Feb, 20:18, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
>> to resize it.  Is the problem at my end or yours?

Looks like it was simply IE7 and Vista having one of their many
"moments" :-( All is well today.

Chris

Colin Randall

7 Feb 2008, 04:31:0407/02/2008

Thanks for all that feedback. My friendly web guru tweaked it a little
and I have started re-arranging the "furniture". I will certainly deal
with that triple forward slash spotted by Mike.

Peter Thomas

7 Feb 2008, 06:08:1507/02/2008
In message
<82d84cc2-c81e-4af4...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Colin Randall <colinr...@gmail.com> writes

It seems that any Usenet thread eventually includes a software/hardware
branch. In that context , might I mention having got round to burning a
live disc of last October's Ubuntu Linux release. At last it does things
like printing from the Laserjet first time. Firefox browser very quick
compared with current Windows XP, which admittedly needs de-cluttering.
Asking myself whether this might not be the time to start moving gently
and cautiously from Windows to Linux.

Reverting to topic, may I be incredibly ageist and grumpy and say that
folk song is that much more convincing from people who are at least old
enough to have begun to have a clue what life's about. And preferably
young enough still to have a decent voice but old enough to have
developed it?

Nothing wrong with hearing a sweet young girl's voice raised in song,
mind. Better if the accent pleasant. And not faux-little-girl
over-breathy. Tried the start of each Myspace clip, and it sounds the
sort of voice and accent that I would tend to avoid or filter out in a
public place. I do just wonder if transmission through MySpace and a
middling reasonable set of computer speakers does it justice. Give the
Unthanks time.

Give me Norma Waterson or June Tabor any time.

The voice is or should be an instrument. My wife has a theory that
because field recordings were often of elderly singers, the rather
decrepit voicing was unwittingly mimicked in the cause of 'authenticity'
during the revival. There is a rumour that one well-known [and wisely
un-named] singer gleaned his style at one stage from a source who had a
bad cold. Just because it's folk doesn't or shouldn't mean it hasn't to
be well-sung.

Actually heard someone sing with a finger - hand, anyway - over the ear
the other day. She had a bad cold, pitch perfect, volume sagging and
lost against the Anglo. Not a perfect world, heigh-ho.

--
Peter Thomas

JimL

7 Feb 2008, 08:21:1607/02/2008
On Feb 4, 9:13 am, Colin Randall <colinranda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 20:18, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
>

> > I found the text on the web site very small, and IE7 was unable
> > to resize it.  Is the problem at my end or yours?
>
> > Chris
>
> I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds Salut! Live text too
> small to follow comfortably (feel free to say the content is
> unreadable on other grounds, too, though that's probably a different
> matter). My eyesight is not great and I don't have trouble with it, so
> I am rather hoping it's specific to Chris.

Think so - IE7 resizes it OK, and the basic size is fine. However,
only the centre column text resizes, the links and text in the left
and right columns don't resize, which imples that you're using fixed
font sizes for those parts rather than relative ones (like .em % or
whatever, if that means anything to you.)

> Much as I enjoy KR and the Unthank sisters, incidentally, I can see
> quite easily how other listeners would find them irritating or
> unlistenable. The nature of individual taste takes care of these
> differences of opinion. My objection is to strongly expressed opinion
> - on either side of the argument - descending into abuse, and the
> Unthank issue seems to have inspired a fair share of that.

I happen to think Kate Rusby is outstanding - but it's so rare to find
women singing in local accents.

I've not seen the Winterset enough to comment, but when the Unthank
sisters first appeared, they suffered from having been pushed into the
public eye far too young. Another one of those was "Bill" Jones who
was once feted as the next <you name it> but really wasn't, she was
just an average performer, but she was *young* and boy don't the aging
vampires of the folk world just lerve young BLUD?

Jim
The Yorkshire Polymoth

johnb

7 Feb 2008, 08:55:2607/02/2008

Bill Jones isn't the only example of a promising youngster put on a
pedstal too soon and now, where is she?

I've noticed this more than once: young and promising performer comes
to club, charges a low fee, say £100, gets noticed; someone somewhere
says "next big thing"; asks club for re-booking but the fee has more
than tripled, sometimes justified by now having a "band". Meanwhile
established (and *good*) performers ask if they can raise their fee
from £175 to £200 after about 3 years.

Kate's fee is high these days - but she made sure she could fill Arts
Centres before pricing herself into that market.

Bill Hewitt

7 Feb 2008, 08:59:4907/02/2008

I liked Kate Rusby when she first came on the scene, but for a while I think she then became a bit one dimentional. She did mellow very well, but not a lot
else. I think her current arrangements have put a punchier element into her
songs and enjoyed her live stuff a lot when I saw her last year.

Chris Rockcliffe

7 Feb 2008, 09:59:2607/02/2008
johnb07/02/2008 1:55 pm

> On 7 Feb, 13:21, JimL <jmlaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 4, 9:13 am, Colin Randall <colinranda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 3 Feb, 20:18, Chris J Dixon <ch...@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:

> Bill Jones isn't the only example of a promising youngster put on a
> pedstal too soon and now, where is she?

I've no vested interest or connection here, but Belinda 'Bill' Jones was
definitely proving herself and making it in music before the baby came
along. She played brilliantly to a packed house here. Firstly she has a
good voice and can sing in tune - live and on record. She is in a higher
league musically IMO.

I imagine she has put her career on hold after starting a family in 2004/5
and perhaps has had more kids since? If her partner is earning a really good
stash elsewhere, then it's reason enough to be putting a music career 'on
hold'.

The Winterset crowd have had a head start with Rachel's manager and
hubby-to-be Adrian helping out. He has managed some of the biggest names in
the folk world. He knows the score.

But then, Rachel wants kids too - 4 kids by her own admission. The music biz
isn't everything.

CR

Jacey Bedford

7 Feb 2008, 20:45:0207/02/2008
In message <C3D0CD4D.B1B2C%chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk>, Chris
Rockcliffe <chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk> writes

>johnb07/02/2008 1:55 pm

>> Bill Jones isn't the only example of a promising youngster put on a
>> pedstal too soon and now, where is she?
>
>I've no vested interest or connection here, but Belinda 'Bill' Jones was
>definitely proving herself and making it in music before the baby came
>along. She played brilliantly to a packed house here. Firstly she has a
>good voice and can sing in tune - live and on record. She is in a higher
>league musically IMO.
>
>I imagine she has put her career on hold after starting a family in 2004/5
>and perhaps has had more kids since? If her partner is earning a really good
>stash elsewhere, then it's reason enough to be putting a music career 'on
>hold'.

I do have a vested interest. Bill is a friend. She recorded all her
albums with us in the studio here, right from the very first one that
won her the Horizon Award (which even came out on our label). She's been
great to work with and as well as being a good performer was always
diligent and thorough on the business side, too.

I can absolutely confirm that the only reason Bill is not performing
today is that she's enjoying motherhood. She's now got two kids, she's
totally settled with her husband, Chris, up in the North East and is not
planning to hit the road again anytime soon, though her albums still
sell worldwide and I guess she could come back any time she likes.

She's doing a bit of music teaching to keep her hand in.

Jacey

--
Jacey Bedford
jacey at artisan hyphen harmony dot com

JimL

8 Feb 2008, 04:21:2108/02/2008
On 7 Feb, 14:59, Chris Rockcliffe

4 kids?

http://www.actionbioscience.org/environment/hinrichsen_robey.html

Jim

Chris Rockcliffe

8 Feb 2008, 05:13:3108/02/2008
JimL08/02/2008 9:21 am

Yes 4, according to semi-serious interview quips... so will she likely be
breeding the next generation of 'Winterset' folkies?

CR

anahata

8 Feb 2008, 09:59:1708/02/2008
Peter Thomas wrote:

> [snipped: lots of good stuff, both about Linux and folk music....]

> Just because it's folk doesn't or shouldn't mean it hasn't to
> be well-sung.

**applause**

--
Anahata
ana...@treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk

Marjorie

8 Feb 2008, 12:37:5408/02/2008

Hear, hear. I found the Unthank version of Bonnie at Morn deeply
unpleasant to listen to.

> The voice is or should be an instrument. My wife has a theory that
> because field recordings were often of elderly singers, the rather
> decrepit voicing was unwittingly mimicked in the cause of 'authenticity'
> during the revival. There is a rumour that one well-known [and wisely
> un-named] singer gleaned his style at one stage from a source who had a
> bad cold. Just because it's folk doesn't or shouldn't mean it hasn't to
> be well-sung.

I was surprised when I first heard Mike Waterson sounding like a
70-year-old even in recordings from the 1970s, but I suppose he's an
example of that phenomenon.

> Actually heard someone sing with a finger - hand, anyway - over the ear
> the other day. She had a bad cold, pitch perfect, volume sagging and
> lost against the Anglo. Not a perfect world, heigh-ho.

I'm still trying to work out how she played an Anglo with one hand over
her ear.
Or maybe someone else was playing the Anglo?
Or possibly it was someone else's hand over her ear?

--
Marjorie

Molly Mockford

8 Feb 2008, 13:53:4508/02/2008
At 10:13:31 on Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Chris Rockcliffe
<chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk> wrote in
<C3D1DBCB.B1C96%chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk>:

>JimL08/02/2008 9:21 am
>
>> On 7 Feb, 14:59, Chris Rockcliffe

>>> But then, Rachel wants kids too - 4 kids by her own admission. The music biz
>>> isn't everything.

>> 4 kids?

>Yes 4, according to semi-serious interview quips... so will she likely be

>breeding the next generation of 'Winterset' folkies?

<mode="cynical woman">She'll soon change her mind after accumulating two
squalling pre-school brats, if not after the very first one.</mode>

Steve Mansfield

8 Feb 2008, 14:27:3808/02/2008

"anahata" <ana...@reply-to.address> wrote in message

> Peter Thomas wrote:
>
> > [snipped: lots of good stuff, both about Linux and folk music....]
>
>> Just because it's folk doesn't or shouldn't mean it hasn't to be
>> well-sung.
>
> **applause**

** more applause ** :)

--
Steve Mansfield
Manchester, England

Jack Campin - bogus address

8 Feb 2008, 14:55:3608/02/2008
> Actually heard someone sing with a finger - hand, anyway - over
> the ear the other day.

I heard quite a lot of them over Xmas/New Year when I was in Istanbul.
It's usual for Koran reciters and people doing the call to prayer.
That kind of singing is loud, very slow, requires absolutely precise
intonation, and puts you in a demandingly public spot, so you need
all the help you can get. (I have seen one guy drop an angina pill
between verses and carry on, this kind of singing is not for wimps).

I presume they've been doing it for 1500-odd years. Any earlier
cites? I'd be surprised if there weren't a picture of a singer
doing it on an ancient Egyptian fresco or Sumerian tablet.

Peter Thomas

8 Feb 2008, 16:14:1008/02/2008
In message <13qp4rn...@corp.supernews.com>, Marjorie
<dontuseth...@springequinox.co.uk> writes
>Peter Thomas wrote:

... snip earlier discussion

>> Actually heard someone sing with a finger - hand, anyway - over the
>>ear the other day. She had a bad cold, pitch perfect, volume sagging
>>and lost against the Anglo. Not a perfect world, heigh-ho.
>>
>I'm still trying to work out how she played an Anglo with one hand over
>her ear.
>Or maybe someone else was playing the Anglo?
>Or possibly it was someone else's hand over her ear?

The wonders of miniaturisation - in-ear Anglos.

A three-piece, ma'am. Could make out words against deeper squeeze-box
and bass, but not against the higher 'box.

--
Peter Thomas

Ron(UK)

9 Feb 2008, 11:00:0009/02/2008

Folky version of a monitor technician?

UkuleleRon

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Dominic Cronin

9 Feb 2008, 17:47:0309/02/2008
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:55:36 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
<bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> (I have seen one guy drop an angina pill
>between verses and carry on, this kind of singing is not for wimps).

Rock on! :-)

--

Dominic Cronin
Amsterdam

Daniel Cohen

10 Feb 2008, 07:24:2910/02/2008
Mark Bluemel <mark_b...@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'd seen lots of discussion of her, with the suggestion that she was
> the salvation of British folk, before hearing some of her work on the
> radio. On the basis of what I heard, I won't be seeking out more - the
> vocals I found irritatingly mannered and the arrangements fussy,
> fragmented and not well enough executed.

Ah, "mannered", that's the word I was looking for.

I just went to hear them live last night, and my main reaction was
"Kathleen Ferrier she's not." The point being that K. F., rather than a
folk singer, was the person who came to mind while listening.

And as for "Blue Blazing Bleend Drunk", I didn't believe a word of it.

My singer of the moment, country rather than folk, is Diana Jones.
Singer-songwriter, and about whom I kept feeling "Why has no-one else
ever sung those Carter Family songs", the quality and style suggesting
them very strongly.
--
http://www.decohen.com
Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;

Steve

14 Feb 2008, 07:30:3614/02/2008

"Chris Rockcliffe" <chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>

> Maybe you need to be younger then me and have different ears to enjoy it -
> but then our ability to hear vocal intonation and pitch correctly doesn't
> change much with age. No, you are not alone Steve. Perhaps a really good
> critical record producer/engineer could get the best from them.

I came to this thread late as I've been on holiday.

The debate as to whether RUW are any good or not is a sterile one - as
several have commented it's a matter of taste. I happen to quite like them
though I can see their faults and can't quite understand why they've been
singled out for such rave reviews.

As for their singing out of tune, I'm normally quite sensitive to this and
they sound fine to me. I've also seen them live a couple of times and they
sound just as in tune live, so the comments about producers, engineers etc
seem irrelevant.

Steve

Peter Thomas

14 Feb 2008, 11:20:1714/02/2008
In message <NaednYvhdfjzqSna...@giganews.com>, Steve
<stev...@googlemail.com> writes

>As for their singing out of tune, I'm normally quite sensitive to this and
>they sound fine to me. I've also seen them live a couple of times and they
>sound just as in tune live, so the comments about producers, engineers etc
>seem irrelevant.

I'm just wondering how fair it is to assess the virtues of any performer
on the basis of what is squeezed through YouTube or MySpace.

Wasn't taken with the Winterset's performance thereon.

There were recently a couple of young performers - Gren Kitchin and
whoever - where the internet rendering didn't persuade me to go to the
local gig. People who went - OK, the promoter - said it was a great
evening.

Ignoring the detail that I couldn't have got there anyway, it may just
be that unless the 'net video and sound are very well done, what is
presented on the 'net may do a disservice to the performers trying to
promote themselves. In particular, indifferent video and poor sound ally
with the lack of the linking conversation may strip the presentation of
the act's essential virtues. Watch with caution and judge only at real
performances?

--
Peter Thomas

Chris Rockcliffe

14 Feb 2008, 11:55:0714/02/2008
Peter Thomas14/02/2008 4:20 pm

>> As for their singing out of tune, I'm normally quite sensitive to this and
>> they sound fine to me. I've also seen them live a couple of times and they
>> sound just as in tune live, so the comments about producers, engineers etc
>> seem irrelevant.

> I'm just wondering how fair it is to assess the virtues of any performer
> on the basis of what is squeezed through YouTube or MySpace.
>
> Wasn't taken with the Winterset's performance thereon.
>
> There were recently a couple of young performers - Gren Kitchin and
> whoever - where the internet rendering didn't persuade me to go to the
> local gig. People who went - OK, the promoter - said it was a great
> evening.

Would that be Tom Kitching and Gren Bartley?

> Ignoring the detail that I couldn't have got there anyway, it may just
> be that unless the 'net video and sound are very well done, what is
> presented on the 'net may do a disservice to the performers trying to
> promote themselves. In particular, indifferent video and poor sound ally
> with the lack of the linking conversation may strip the presentation of
> the act's essential virtues. Watch with caution and judge only at real
> performances?

Good points.

CR

Peter Thomas

14 Feb 2008, 12:10:1414/02/2008
In message <C3DA22EB.B2095%chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk>, Chris
Rockcliffe <chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk> writes

>Would that be Tom Kitching and Gren Bartley?

Yes.

Peter Thomas

Chris Rockcliffe

14 Feb 2008, 14:06:0714/02/2008
Steve14/02/2008 12:30 pm

I disagree. One person's ability to hear vocal intonation accuracy and
correct pitch is different from another's - and - as for the comments about
producers and engineers - it is indeed very relevant to this discussion.

CR

Tom and Barbara Brown

14 Feb 2008, 14:26:0114/02/2008

"Peter Thomas" <peterd...@doubledemon.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> In message <C3DA22EB.B2095%chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk>, Chris
> Rockcliffe <chrisro...@scripto99.demon.co.uk> writes
>

>>Would that be Tom Kitching and Gren Bartley?

Mmmmm. Not impressed when I saw them. Very average in terms of material,
playing and presentation. But that was last summer - they may have
improved.

Barbara

Chris Rockcliffe

14 Feb 2008, 16:49:4014/02/2008
Tom and Barbara Brown14/02/2008 7:26 pm

Hmmm... I wish I'd been that 'average' when I was their age - let alone
now.

CR

Stephen Kellett

15 Feb 2008, 12:11:4615/02/2008
In message <nb+i71GB...@godthoms.demon.co.uk>, Peter Thomas
<peterd...@doubledemon.co.uk.invalid> writes

>Ignoring the detail that I couldn't have got there anyway, it may just
>be that unless the 'net video and sound are very well done, what is
>presented on the 'net may do a disservice to the performers trying to
>promote themselves.

Last year I happened upon The Daughters of Elvin on myspace/youtube and
wasn't too impressed. Then later in the year I ended up camping next to
the piper in the band (I didn't know that at the time) and then saw the
band that evening (and then realised I knew the Gurdy player). They were
really good.

After the gig I mentioned my impression from myspace to them. They
agreed that the compression/etc that is used to do the streaming doesn't
always do them favours.

I guess this can only improve as bandwidth increases over time.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html
Reg Office: 24 Windmill Walk, Sutton, Ely, Cambs CB6 2NH.

Steve

15 Feb 2008, 12:32:4015/02/2008

>> As for their singing out of tune, I'm normally quite sensitive to this
>> and
>> they sound fine to me. I've also seen them live a couple of times and
>> they
>> sound just as in tune live, so the comments about producers, engineers
>> etc
>> seem irrelevant.
>>
>> Steve
>
> I disagree. One person's ability to hear vocal intonation accuracy and
> correct pitch is different from another's - and - as for the comments
> about
> producers and engineers - it is indeed very relevant to this discussion.
>
> CR

I was responding to Steve Mansfield's original point about an engineer being
able to fix problems with intonation - my point was that I didn't think they
had a problem with intonation, either live or on record, so in that sense
there's nothing to fix. I agree that people differ in their ability to
hear correct intonation, but as I said, I've normally got a pretty good ear
and can often hear when people are out of tune when others can't. But it's
possible that you have an even more sensitive ear than me and can detect
inaccuracies that I can't.

Actually according to Oliver Sacks' recent book "Musicophilia" it seems that
people *can* sometimes hear music as being out of tune when objectively it
isn't. Don't know whether that's relevant to this discussion but I thought
it was interesting anyway.

Steve

Chris Rockcliffe

15 Feb 2008, 13:11:0315/02/2008
Steve15/02/2008 5:32 pm

I've heard it said that a few people are 'cursed' with so called 'perfect
pitch' hearing (no banjo throwing jokes please). As such they are unable to
enjoy instruments slightly out of tune or certain instruments where 'equal
temperament' tuning is the norm' without hearing uncomfortable intonation
and pitch problems. I don't think I have that by any means. But Rachel does
sing flat a bit of the time and a lot of people have said so.

Having said that, our expectations of some people are very high - too high.
I've heard some top people in folk (and other genres too) singing flat in
live concert. On another level it's comforting to note that sometimes the
big stars are as capable of erring as any mere human. Whether tolerating it
in a recording is permissible - is another thing.

CR