does anybody know...

mapy

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
does anybody know any songs or lyrics about the boer war?

thanks,

Phil

ph...@mapy.globalnet.co.uk.x
(remove anti-spam x from address to reply)

Doug Porter

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
"Goodbye Dolly Gray" immediately springs to mind...

--
Doug Porter,
Folk On! magazine etc. 269 Birchover Way, Allestree, Derby, DE22 2RS, UK.
mapy <ma...@globalnet.co.uk.removethisbittoreply> wrote in message

Jason Hill

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <IQPa3.1044$mK3....@nnrp3.clara.net>, Doug Porter
<d...@freeuk.CLEARcom> writes

>"Goodbye Dolly Gray" immediately springs to mind...

Of course - but wasn't this originally an American song, originating
from the Spanish-American War?
--
Jason Hill

bogus address

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99

"mapy" <ma...@globalnet.co.uk.removethisbittoreply> writes:
> does anybody know any songs or lyrics about the boer war?

The only things to come out of the war itself that are still in the
repertoire are Highland pipe marches - there are two splendid ones,
"The Highland Brigade at Magersfontein",and "The 91st at the Modder
River" (sometimes known as "The 93rd at the Modder River"); also
"Paardeberg" which I don't know. The first is unusual in marking a
defeat, probably the worst suffered by any British force in the 19th
century. There are others; if you know the history of the war, a scan
through pipe tune indexes will locate the relevant titles.

Apparently the most popular song of the war itself was "Break the News
to Mother", which I have not yet tried to trace.

---> email to "jc" at this site: email to "jack" or "bogus" will bounce <---
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data and recipes,
freeware logic fonts for the Macintosh, and Scots traditional music resources

Tony Fisk

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99

I'd rather have forgotten it, and I may in any case be wrong, but didn't
'Two Little Boys' have a Boer War connection, or possibly, as these things
do, end up involved in that conflict by re-invention from a previous set-to
(e.g. US Civil War)?

TF

Jon

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <7kkruh$b8q$1...@epos.tesco.net>,
Tony Fisk <Tony...@tesco.net> wrote:

I *think* it came from the US Civil war.
Jon.

--
http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/jghall/fairport/fc.html

Bob Plews

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
D' you know, I always thought Rolf Harris *wrote* the thing and
once Margaret Thatcher "endorsed" it, I never gave the song
a single thought till now...having thought about it for a few seconds,
some parallels with the song "Two Brothers" spring to mind. The latter
was definitely Civil War (US variety). My last memory of this ditty was
at the Fairport Festival many years ago, when one W. Connolly sang a
hilarious parody about police evidence, the chorus of which went:

"Do you think I would leave you lying, when I can lie my arse off too..?"

Best wishes to you all
Bob Plews

Dom Cronin

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:41:07 +0100, "mapy"
<ma...@globalnet.co.uk.removethisbittoreply> wrote:

>does anybody know any songs or lyrics about the boer war?
>

>thanks,
>
>Phil

Well a few of Kipling's poems have been made into songs - perhaps they
would count - although you'd need a Kipling expert to figure out
whether they were from his South African period.
--
Dom Cronin
Santpoort-Noord