Shite Party...

Lee Jackson

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
Howdee all!

I have a friend who is a floorless dj and shares my love for breakbeat. Last
week he and I were invited to go down to Canterbury to dj at a party. After
finding out as much as we could - we made the massive trip down there (from
Cambridge) armed with our vinyl.

When we got there it was not a bad set up... apart from the system which was
a crap centronix console. The first few DJ's played Happy House/Trace and
shared their tunes, which got a bit much as some tracks were played a few
times. Eventually we went up and started a set of breakbeat which got a load
of people off their arses and shakin it. However, the organiser of the party
came along and told us that they wanted to hear Happy house/trance or Happy
fucking hardcore only! This girl, plus a couple of friends kept hassling us
and made it impossible to mix. On top of this the amp broke on one channel
and only one side of speakers worked!!

We played three tracks and then gave up, then everyone sat down again. But
before we went the organiser had the cheek to ask for donations... despite
it being a pile of shit! She could kiss my ringer. We had consumed a few
bits... and so we were stuck there listening to the same tracks again and
again. Eughh...

There is no way I'm going to travel that far again to mix... unless I'm
paid!!!!!

The moral of this story is... take your own setup, so at least you can steel
the party heads.

Hope this wasn't too dull... from a very pissed off Lee.

Kleptomaniac

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99

> There is no way I'm going to travel that far again to mix... unless I'm
> paid!!!!!

Don't let one shite experience put you off. The moral is to get as much info
about what you're letting yourself in for, before you do it.

Try and argue your case better, too. If people were dancing, then fuck'em,
that's the most important thing. If you've got the crowd on your side,
they'll help you to stay on the decks. All you gotta do is ask them.

I've had a very similar experience, sitting through 2hrs of standard trance,
waiting to play, with no-one dancing. I got so bugged, I cut straight out of
"Cafe Del Whatever" into Prince's "Kiss" on +8 (not the most "underground"
of selections admittedly, but sometimes "a man's gotta do what a mans gotta
do" etc...), and woke the whole night up :))))

Death or glory,