haddock

1 view

Janet McKnight

Mar 11, 2004, 4:29:45 AM3/11/04
I woke up with a headache. The headache seems to think that because we
woke up together, we're staying together. I'm trying to disillusion it.

Perhaps if I just don't return any of its phone calls for a few months,
it'll get the hint.

--
voices singing out of empty cisterns and exhausted wells

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Mar 11, 2004, 5:00:34 AM3/11/04
Janet McKnight wibbled:

Is that a snot reference?

> I woke up with a headache. The headache seems to think that because we
> woke up together, we're staying together. I'm trying to disillusion it.
>
> Perhaps if I just don't return any of its phone calls for a few months,
> it'll get the hint.

Paracetamol is more likely to work.
I'm off work today with a cold.
I put it to you that you have one as well.
--
wanna 57

Janet McKnight

Mar 11, 2004, 5:21:23 AM3/11/04
And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:00:34 -0000, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU
<dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> did say:

> Janet McKnight wibbled:

> Is that a snot reference?

Hah! No, but perhaps it ought to be.

> > I woke up with a headache. The headache seems to think that because we
> > woke up together, we're staying together. I'm trying to disillusion it.
> >
> > Perhaps if I just don't return any of its phone calls for a few months,
> > it'll get the hint.
>
> Paracetamol is more likely to work.

I try not to take paracetamol if I can avoid it. Aspirin would be a good
idea, but I don't have any in work, & I can't face the oh-you-need-to-put-
yourself-in-the-accident-book palaver if I ask cow-orkers. Will go and get
some at lunchtime if I make it that far.

> I'm off work today with a cold.
> I put it to you that you have one as well.

I don't have any of the other symptoms of a cold, just a headache. Had
nightmares as well, and the headache I had when I woke up was like the
ones I get when I've been crying for hours. Now it's slowly growing right
behind my eyes and threatening to turn into one of those horrible
headaches that make me feel sick and dizzy.

Whine, whine, whine.

--
the words are coming out all weird

Sam Nelson

Mar 11, 2004, 5:28:20 AM3/11/04
In article <slrnc50fd3....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Janet McKnight) writes:
> I try not to take paracetamol if I can avoid it.

Why?

> Aspirin would be a good idea, but I don't have any in work

Thins the blood unpleasantly. Best avoided.

> Whine, whine, whine.

Well, er...
--
SAm.

Eric Jarvis

Mar 11, 2004, 5:45:43 AM3/11/04
Janet McKnight jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:
> And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:00:34 -0000, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU
> <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> did say:
>
> > Janet McKnight wibbled:

> > Is that a snot reference?
>
> Hah! No, but perhaps it ought to be.
>
> > > I woke up with a headache. The headache seems to think that because we
> > > woke up together, we're staying together. I'm trying to disillusion it.
> > >
> > > Perhaps if I just don't return any of its phone calls for a few months,
> > > it'll get the hint.
> >
> > Paracetamol is more likely to work.
>
> I try not to take paracetamol if I can avoid it. Aspirin would be a good
> idea, but I don't have any in work, & I can't face the oh-you-need-to-put-
> yourself-in-the-accident-book palaver if I ask cow-orkers. Will go and get
> some at lunchtime if I make it that far.
>
> > I'm off work today with a cold.
> > I put it to you that you have one as well.

I'll see your cold and raise a bout of flu and a throat infection

> I don't have any of the other symptoms of a cold, just a headache. Had
> nightmares as well, and the headache I had when I woke up was like the
> ones I get when I've been crying for hours. Now it's slowly growing right
> behind my eyes and threatening to turn into one of those horrible
> headaches that make me feel sick and dizzy.

yeuch...I'm just stockpiling for when I find a financially viable use for
phlegm...that and aching all bloody over...and shivering and sweating and
stuff...and before anyone says, yes I've seen the doctor and have
penicillin for the throat and confirmation that the rest of it is almost
certainly flu...what I'm not going to do is stay in bed all day...because
I've run out of painkillers except for two soluble aspirin

> Whine, whine, whine.

I've nearly run out of that too...but I've three cans of Stella in the
fridge...no bloody food, but three cans of mediocre lager

so...any miscreants healthy today?...and can we come and infect you all
with our various maladies?

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk

Janet McKnight

Mar 11, 2004, 7:18:33 AM3/11/04
And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:28:20 +0000 (UTC), Sam Nelson
<s...@ssrl.org.uk> did say:

> In article <slrnc50fd3....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Janet McKnight) writes:
> > I try not to take paracetamol if I can avoid it.
>
> Why?

Hysterical raisins.

> > Aspirin would be a good idea, but I don't have any in work
>
> Thins the blood unpleasantly. Best avoided.

Never done me any harm before...

> > Whine, whine, whine.
>
> Well, er...

Oh, I know it's whining. But it really was a *grotty* headache, and the
nightmares were nasty. I still feel all shuddery inside.

--
the wind blows forward and the wind blows back

Janet McKnight

Mar 11, 2004, 7:19:30 AM3/11/04
And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:06:18 +0000, Steve Firth
<%steve%@malloc.co.uk> did say:

> Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I woke up with a headache.
>

> We call those "hangovers", HTH.

I had *one* pint of not-particularly-strong beer last night. One, FFS. I
may be a girly lightweight, but not *that* much of a girly lightweight.

--
the weasel squeaks faster than a seven day week

Mr Guest

Mar 11, 2004, 7:29:34 AM3/11/04
Eric Jarvis wrote (apparently) in uk.misc on Thu 11 Mar 2004
10:45:43:

> [other stuff...]

> so...any miscreants healthy today?...and can we come and infect
> you all with our various maladies?

Was looking forward to my holiday (today and tomorrow) after working
ten straight days and having to be at the NEC whilst Crufts was on,
when, suddenly, on Tuesday I appeared to have the flu lurgy again.

Thankfully the worst of it was last night but the rheumy feeling is
still pervasive. This was not helped by the, for want of a better
word, cat running past the back door earlier and moving it into a
position which provided a much better target for my kneecap. I have a
spare one on my other leg so shouldn't grumble.

Looks like I'll just be better in time for the return to work on
Monday morning. Bugger. And just realised the fridge appears to
contain no suitable anaesthetic for later...
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere

Linz

Mar 11, 2004, 7:48:30 AM3/11/04
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:45:43 -0000, Eric Jarvis <w...@ericjarvis.co.uk>
wrote:

>so...any miscreants healthy today?...and can we come and infect you all
>with our various maladies?

I am currently well, but the occasional bunginess of the nose leads me
to believe that between them YoungBloke and OldBloke will have
infected me by the end of the day. Oh, and I'm getting a bit of a
headache now, too.

Those combined with what feels suspiciously like the onset of PMT
means the weekend could be hard work.

Flying Hero Sandwich

Mar 11, 2004, 9:37:08 AM3/11/04
On 11 Mar 2004 10:21:23 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
(Janet McKnight) wrote this:

>I don't have any of the other symptoms of a cold, just a headache. Had
>nightmares as well, and the headache I had when I woke up was like the
>ones I get when I've been crying for hours.

I feel all saddened reading that. Whatever could make you cry for
hours?

B.

Janet McKnight

Mar 11, 2004, 11:42:25 AM3/11/04
And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:37:08 +0000, Flying Hero Sandwich
<blac...@incandessa.SPAMYENOT.org.ORELSE.uk> did say:

Just stuff. Things. Life. You know.

*shrugs*
*waves hands awkwardly*

--
the hardest part is knowing I'll survive

Keith Willoughby

Mar 11, 2004, 11:41:33 AM3/11/04
<Janet McKnight> wrote:
> And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:06:18 +0000, Steve Firth
><%steve%@malloc.co.uk> did say:
>
>> Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > I woke up with a headache.
>>
>> We call those "hangovers", HTH.
>
> I had *one* pint of not-particularly-strong beer last night. One, FFS. I
> may be a girly lightweight, but not *that* much of a girly lightweight.

One pint of Smithwicks was enough to give me a hangover. I don't know
what shit they put in it, but it doesn't agree with me.

9-3

Eric Jarvis

Mar 11, 2004, 12:37:02 PM3/11/04
JAF jafni...@ntlworld.com wrote:

> But will I still be able to play the piano? (1)
>
> (1) No.

me neither...last time it won 6 nil

Peter Hucker

Mar 11, 2004, 2:21:06 PM3/11/04
Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:00:34 -0000, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU
> <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> did say:
>
>> Janet McKnight wibbled:

>> Is that a snot reference?
>
> Hah! No, but perhaps it ought to be.
>
>> > I woke up with a headache. The headache seems to think that because we
>> > woke up together, we're staying together. I'm trying to disillusion it.
>> >
>> > Perhaps if I just don't return any of its phone calls for a few months,
>> > it'll get the hint.
>>
>> Paracetamol is more likely to work.
>
> I try not to take paracetamol if I can avoid it. Aspirin would be a good
> idea, but I don't have any in work, & I can't face the oh-you-need-to-put-
> yourself-in-the-accident-book palaver if I ask cow-orkers. Will go and get
> some at lunchtime if I make it that far.

Never done me any harm, when I have a headache I take a dose of paracetamol AND a
dose of ibuprofen together. I used to take one or the other (as I could tell
which "type" of headache it was, but I no longer can.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com for a gigabyte of my digital photos, including my 5
parrots

Paper clips are the larval stage of coat hangers.

Evpuneq Erivf

Mar 11, 2004, 3:04:57 PM3/11/04
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:37:08 +0000, Flying Hero Sandwich wrote:

> Whatever could make you cry for
> hours?

A truck full of onions?

--
Press all the buttons you can find. What's the worst that can happen?
20:04:46 up 57 days, 7:45, 4 users, load average: 0.08, 0.13, 0.06

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Mar 11, 2004, 3:28:02 PM3/11/04
> > Whatever could make you cry for
> > hours?

Nilsen's "Without you" used to have that effect on at least one girl I
knew back in the early 70s.

--
wanna 57

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Mar 11, 2004, 3:31:47 PM3/11/04
N.L...@WKX.KM.EU wibbled:
I wonder why she didn't just stop playing it? Funny chap, johnny woman.
--
wanna 57

all mail refused

Mar 11, 2004, 4:56:28 PM3/11/04
In article <c2pf04$gk6$1...@dulnain.stir.ac.uk>, Sam Nelson wrote:

>> Aspirin would be a good idea, but I don't have any in work
>
>Thins the blood unpleasantly. Best avoided.

What's unpleasant about it ?

Linz

Mar 12, 2004, 3:52:26 AM3/12/04
On 11 Mar 2004 21:56:28 GMT, el...@notatla.org.uk (all mail refused)
wrote:

>In article <c2pf04$gk6$1...@dulnain.stir.ac.uk>, Sam Nelson wrote:
>
>>> Aspirin would be a good idea, but I don't have any in work
>>
>>Thins the blood unpleasantly. Best avoided.
>
>What's unpleasant about it ?

Ask someone who's had a bleeding stomach ulcer/nosebleed/varicose
veins.

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 4:59:10 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:28:02 -0000, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU
<dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> did say:

> > > Whatever could make you cry for

*snif* Makes me go weepy too.

(Yeah-okay-I'm-a-big-soppy-girly-and-what-are-you-gonna-do-about-it?)

--
stop whispering, start shouting

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 5:01:05 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:52:26 +0000, Linz
<sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> did say:

Are these things really a major risk with taking aspirin? Or only with
prolonged use?

My dad takes half an aspirin every day, since his (very minor) heart
attack. It's supposed to be good for him.

--
seems I keep getting this story twisted

Huge

Mar 12, 2004, 5:58:18 AM3/12/04

Have you seen the video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt"? That makes *me*
go all weepy.

That and Puccini's "O mio babbino caro".

Oh, and Pink Floyd's "Echoes" makes me kind of wistful.

--
I hurt myself today, To see if I still feel
[email me at huge [at] huge (dot) org {dot} uk]

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 6:11:44 AM3/12/04
In article <c2s54a$2fg$1...@anubis.demon.co.uk>,

hu...@huge.org.uk (Huge) writes:
> Have you seen the video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt"? That makes *me*
> go all weepy.
>
> That and Puccini's "O mio babbino caro".
>
> Oh, and Pink Floyd's "Echoes" makes me kind of wistful.

2nd movement of Bach double-violin concerto, Peter Green's `In The Skies'
and (forgive me, please) Deacon Blue's `Queen Of The New Year'.
--
SAm.

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 6:13:28 AM3/12/04
In article <c2s5tg$20g$6...@dulnain.stir.ac.uk>,

Oh, and anyone that can sing it decently doing `Lakes Of Pontchartrain'.
--
SAm.

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 6:49:16 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:11:44 +0000 (UTC), Sam Nelson
<s...@ssrl.org.uk> did say:

> In article <c2s54a$2fg$1...@anubis.demon.co.uk>,

Mary Chapin Carpenter, "Goodbye Again"
Paul Brady, "Helpless Heart"
Suzanne Vega, "The Queen and the Soldier"

Then there's various things that make me cry just because of the
associations. Things I've danced to with people, you know the sort of
thing.

--
with us it must be all or none at all

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 7:06:05 AM3/12/04
In article <sa9350tsu2fbh78vk...@4ax.com>,
JAF <jafni...@ntlworld.com> writes:
> On 12 Mar 2004 09:59:10 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Janet

> McKnight) wrote:
>
> >*snif* Makes me go weepy too.
> >
> >(Yeah-okay-I'm-a-big-soppy-girly-and-what-are-you-gonna-do-about-it?)
>
> "Will ye go, lassie, go?"
>
> Beautiful song.

You'll be familiar with the Silencers' version, I trust?
--
SAm.

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 7:05:22 AM3/12/04
In article <MPG.1abadc2b7...@News.individual.net>,

A friend of mine is reduced to tears by Morrison's ``In The Garden''
(the semi-title track from ``No Guru, No Method, No Teacher''). I've
never found out why.

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 7:04:01 AM3/12/04
In article <slrnc538tr....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Mary Chapin Carpenter, "Goodbye Again"

``Moon and Saint Christopher'' is on my list of the greats.

The first headline UK gig by MCC at the London Victoria Apollo in the
late eighties / early nineties --- I forget --- with Lucinda Williams as
support was absolutely _awesome_. The eight o'clock sold out in seconds
and we ended up at the decidedly un-rock-and-roll five pm early show.
It took the roof off.

ian

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 7:28:17 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:04:01 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<I.G.B...@batten.eu.org> did say:

> In article <slrnc538tr....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Mary Chapin Carpenter, "Goodbye Again"
>
> ``Moon and Saint Christopher'' is on my list of the greats.

That's on "Shooting Straight in the Dark", isn't it? Never got into that
one quite as much (probably because I don't own a copy). I'd pick "Come On
Come On" as the best album, probably.

> The first headline UK gig by MCC at the London Victoria Apollo in the
> late eighties / early nineties --- I forget --- with Lucinda Williams as
> support was absolutely _awesome_.

Envy, envy, envy!

--
where is my happy ending?

Al.Kaseltzer

Mar 12, 2004, 7:59:23 AM3/12/04
JAF wrote:
> Deacon Blue - excellent band, excellent writing/songs, good singers,
> and yet . . . incredibly boring. Or at least, I couldn't listen to
> an entire LP, yet I can't think of a bad track by them.

Ship called dignity

The metaphor alone is enough to make anybody puke, let alone putting it to
music.

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 7:56:10 AM3/12/04
In article <t69350dl6u7r6vsef...@4ax.com>,
JAF <jafni...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:11:44 +0000 (UTC), s...@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson)
> wrote:
>
> > (forgive me, please) Deacon Blue's `Queen Of The New Year'.
>
> Good song that.

> Deacon Blue - excellent band, excellent writing/songs, good singers, and
> yet . . . incredibly boring. Or at least, I couldn't listen to an entire
> LP, yet I can't think of a bad track by them.

It's been downhill from the off. I saw them at the Powerhouse in
Birmingham in about 1988 --- touring their first album --- and they were
stunning. The support was Fairground Attraction, which was a bonus, but
DB were very, very good. I saw them out of habit on several following
tours, including a ludicrous concert of cover versions at the AVLC
including some Southside Johnny material that Ross simply isn't man
enough to do. They were never as good as the first time.

Contrast Mike Scott, who appears to get better every year.

Concert I just cannot wait for: Sarah McLachlan in October.

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 7:53:39 AM3/12/04
In article <slrnc53b71....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> That's on "Shooting Straight in the Dark", isn't it? Never got into that

Yes. Actually, I think that and the preceeding album are amongst her
best. It's a sad fact that most people working in the country / folk
area acquire a production sheen that may not be overall a good idea.
Unless you have the integrity of the true greats like Richard Thompson
or John Stewart, you'll struggle to avoid ending up sounding like a
either a Stevie Nicks solo album or an MOR baladeer. A prime example of
this is Nanci Griffith: in the mid/late eighties she was making
fantastic albums and playing intense shows in small venues (in
Birmingham she played the Irish Centre in Digbeth and the Hummingbird in
Dale End, and I presume isomorphic venues elsewhere). By the nineties
it was all sounding like, and appealing to the audience of, Mary Black.

> one quite as much (probably because I don't own a copy). I'd pick "Come On
> Come On" as the best album, probably.

It's pretty good.

> > The first headline UK gig by MCC at the London Victoria Apollo in the
> > late eighties / early nineties --- I forget --- with Lucinda Williams as
> > support was absolutely _awesome_.
>
> Envy, envy, envy!

Lucinda was damn fine in her own right when she did a short UK tour last
year. At Manchester she arrived on stage late, to be greeted by someone
shouting ``You're late! You'd been be good!''. There is a pause.
``We'll be fucking great''. Excellent.

ian

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 8:08:01 AM3/12/04
In article <c2sc7b$1u5c$1...@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>,

My boat, back when I owned one, was called `Indignity'. But that was a
forlorn and blatantly unsuccessful attempt to annoy the woman I'm reminded
of by `Queen Of The New Year'. Wretched, isn't it?
--
SAm.

August West

Mar 12, 2004, 8:06:22 AM3/12/04
Sam Nelson wrote:

> Wretched, isn't it?

This it your new catch phrase, is it?

[I was up on Stirling U campus last Saturday.
Might be again tommorow as well.]

--
418 I'm a teapot

LNR

Mar 12, 2004, 8:08:17 AM3/12/04
Janet McKnight wrote:
>Suzanne Vega, "The Queen and the Soldier"

That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too (she says,
putting he Jeff Buckley one on). And Springsteen's The River (queueing
that for next).

--
l...@lspace.org http://lnr.livejournal.com/

LNR

Mar 12, 2004, 8:11:21 AM3/12/04
LNR wrote:

>That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too (she says,
>putting he Jeff Buckley one on). And Springsteen's The River (queueing
>that for next).

And Jackson Browne's Fountain of Sorrow. For some reason it was the
mention of Van Morrison elsewhere in the thread that made me think of
that, though I can't think of any Morisson tracks which actually get me
the same way.

--
l...@lspace.org http://lnr.livejournal.com/

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 8:15:17 AM3/12/04
In article <c2sbsj$nlk$1...@news-out.ftel.co.uk>,

Ian G Batten <I.G.B...@batten.eu.org> writes:
> In article <slrnc53b71....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > That's on "Shooting Straight in the Dark", isn't it? Never got into that
>
> Yes. Actually, I think that and the preceeding album are amongst her
> best. It's a sad fact that most people working in the country / folk
> area acquire a production sheen that may not be overall a good idea.

Can I say `Shania Twain' here?
--
SAm.

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 8:16:23 AM3/12/04
In article <c2scu5$20rq9e$1...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,

August West <aug...@kororaa.com> writes:
> Sam Nelson wrote:
>
> > Wretched, isn't it?
>
> This it your new catch phrase, is it?

It's from H2G2.

> [I was up on Stirling U campus last Saturday.
> Might be again tommorow as well.]

Doing what? I'll be on ice in Perth.
--
SAm.

August West

Mar 12, 2004, 8:16:05 AM3/12/04
Sam Nelson wrote:

> In article <c2scu5$20rq9e$1...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> August West <aug...@kororaa.com> writes:
>> Sam Nelson wrote:
>>
>> > Wretched, isn't it?
>>
>> This it your new catch phrase, is it?
>
> It's from H2G2.

That I knew. But you seem to be ending all your posts with it recently.
Black dog visiting, is it?

>> [I was up on Stirling U campus last Saturday.
>> Might be again tommorow as well.]
>
> Doing what?

a) Failing to purchase lunch, and b) accompanying small people partaking in
kinmatographic entertainment. It's dark, and it's warm, so I can get a nice
kip.

> I'll be on ice in Perth.

Oh, yes, I'm supposed to be doing that as well, sometime.

Al.Kaseltzer

Mar 12, 2004, 8:21:43 AM3/12/04
>> best. It's a sad fact that most people working in the country / folk
>> area acquire a production sheen that may not be overall a good idea.
>
> Can I say `Shania Twain' here?

there's some kind of incongruity about a country star who lives in
switzerland, I think.
nice teeth though

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 8:21:35 AM3/12/04
In article <c2sd55$fas$3...@dulnain.stir.ac.uk>,

Sam Nelson <s...@ssrl.org.uk> wrote:
> > Yes. Actually, I think that and the preceeding album are amongst her
> > best. It's a sad fact that most people working in the country / folk
> > area acquire a production sheen that may not be overall a good idea.
>
> Can I say `Shania Twain' here?

Did she ever _not_ have a sheen? Can I say ``Suzy Bogguss'', while
we're at it? And ``Trish Yearwood''. Oh, and many more...

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 8:20:02 AM3/12/04
In article <c2s60o$20g$7...@dulnain.stir.ac.uk>,

Sam Nelson <s...@ssrl.org.uk> wrote:
> Oh, and anyone that can sing it decently doing `Lakes Of Pontchartrain'.

Has there been a bigger triumph of worthiness over outcome than Nanci
Griffiths' ``Other Voices Other Rooms'' projects? It's a basic law of
nature that almost all Sandy Denny songs are unperformable by others ---
even Linda Thompson makes a mess of them, and she has arguably more call
on them than many. But, Nanci, Nanci, just _stop_ _it_. And while
we're talking of other great dead folk singers, Townes van Vandt is out
of your depth, too.

[[ I saw TvZ live once. He was sober-ish, too. Well worth the trip to
Trysull Village Hall. ]]

Great NG lines, #1 in a series. Introducing ``There's a Light Beyond
These Woods, Mary Margaret'':

``Maggie wanted to run away to New York to live with Leonard Cohen,
which was quite the most depressing idea I'd ever heard.''

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 8:23:11 AM3/12/04
In article <PMB*q2...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

LNR <l...@lspace.org> wrote:
> Janet McKnight wrote:
> >Suzanne Vega, "The Queen and the Soldier"
>
> That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too (she says,
> putting he Jeff Buckley one on).

You want the live version, of course, which segues into ``I Know It's
Over''.

> And Springsteen's The River (queueing
> that for next).

Oh, absolutely.

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 8:27:31 AM3/12/04
In article <1VE*+2g...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

LNR <l...@lspace.org> wrote:
> LNR wrote:
> >
> >That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too (she says,
> >putting he Jeff Buckley one on). And Springsteen's The River (queueing
> >that for next).
>
> And Jackson Browne's Fountain of Sorrow.

``Late For The Sky'' wins for me, because of the guitar solo. The last
few times I've seen him live he's been a bit ho-hum, but he's touring
solo and acoustic in the autumn for which I have third row tickets.

My favourite Browne track is probably either ``That Girl Could Sing''
off ``Hold Out'' --- another fantastic Lindley guitar solo --- or ``In
the Shape of a Heart'' off ``Lives in the Balance'' (although I believe
it's actually an outtake from ``The Pretender''). As a sustained piece
of emotional outpouring, it has to be the whole of ``The Pretender''.

> For some reason it was the
> mention of Van Morrison elsewhere in the thread that made me think of
> that

They both played Glastonbury 1982? I think that was the first time I
saw both of them.

> though I can't think of any Morisson tracks which actually get me
> the same way.

Almost anything off ``Into the Music''.

ian

Flying Hero Sandwich

Mar 12, 2004, 8:36:57 AM3/12/04
On 11 Mar 2004 16:42:25 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
(Janet McKnight) wrote this:

>And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:37:08 +0000, Flying Hero Sandwich
><blac...@incandessa.SPAMYENOT.org.ORELSE.uk> did say:
>
>> On 11 Mar 2004 10:21:23 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
>> (Janet McKnight) wrote this:
>>
>> >I don't have any of the other symptoms of a cold, just a headache. Had
>> >nightmares as well, and the headache I had when I woke up was like the
>> >ones I get when I've been crying for hours.
>>
>> I feel all saddened reading that. Whatever could make you cry for
>> hours?
>
>Just stuff. Things. Life. You know.
>
>*shrugs*
>*waves hands awkwardly*

Life's about as wonderful as a record mart.

Bess.

Eric Jarvis

Mar 12, 2004, 8:40:55 AM3/12/04
Ian G Batten I.G.B...@batten.eu.org wrote:
> In article <c2s60o$20g$7...@dulnain.stir.ac.uk>,
> Sam Nelson <s...@ssrl.org.uk> wrote:
> > Oh, and anyone that can sing it decently doing `Lakes Of Pontchartrain'.
>
> Has there been a bigger triumph of worthiness over outcome than Nanci
> Griffiths' ``Other Voices Other Rooms'' projects? It's a basic law of
> nature that almost all Sandy Denny songs are unperformable by others ---
> even Linda Thompson makes a mess of them, and she has arguably more call
> on them than many. But, Nanci, Nanci, just _stop_ _it_.

I know a lass from Barnsley can tackle some of Sandy Denny's repertoire
without being totally embarrassing...but she is extraordinarily good and
amateur enough to keep it really simple and let her own character come
through and take the songs over

and I saw Sandy Denny live

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk
"live fast, die only if strictly necessary"

Flying Hero Sandwich

Mar 12, 2004, 8:43:01 AM3/12/04
<dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> wrote this:

>> > Whatever could make you cry for
>> > hours?
>

>Nilsen's "Without you" used to have that effect on at least one girl I
>knew back in the early 70s.

When I was a mixed infant, it was Clive Dunn's 'Grandad'. Shurrup!

In adulthood (ha!), it's been John Cale's 'Close Watch' or The Flaming
Lips' 'The Gash'.

Bess, misting up already.

Eric Jarvis

Mar 12, 2004, 8:55:12 AM3/12/04
LNR l...@lspace.org wrote:
> LNR wrote:
> >
> >That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too (she says,
> >putting he Jeff Buckley one on). And Springsteen's The River (queueing
> >that for next).
>
> And Jackson Browne's Fountain of Sorrow.

For a Dancer...I can play it...I know how it goes...I can hot ALL the
notes...I can't bloody get through the blighter in one go

> For some reason it was the
> mention of Van Morrison elsewhere in the thread that made me think of
> that, though I can't think of any Morisson tracks which actually get me
> the same way.

for some reason none of them do...several ought to

Eric Jarvis

Mar 12, 2004, 8:57:23 AM3/12/04
JAF jafni...@ntlworld.com wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2004 09:59:10 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Janet
> McKnight) wrote:
>
> >*snif* Makes me go weepy too.
> >
> >(Yeah-okay-I'm-a-big-soppy-girly-and-what-are-you-gonna-do-about-it?)
>
> "Will ye go, lassie, go?"

"Down to the Peking Swallow"

> Beautiful song.

ah....you probably don't mean the Les Barker version then

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 8:59:30 AM3/12/04
In article <aff3501bg5ks42jhm...@4ax.com>,
Flying Hero Sandwich <blac...@incandessa.SPAMYENOT.org.ORELSE.uk> wrote:
> Lips' 'The Gash'.

The front wing, or more accurately the large gaps around the front wing,
on the current Williams F1 car is apparently known in the factory, in
tribute to their new (female) chief Aerodynamicist, as ``Antonia's
Gash''.

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 8:58:15 AM3/12/04
In article <MPG.1abbce3d4...@news.individual.net>,
Eric Jarvis <w...@ericjarvis.co.uk> wrote:
> ``I know a lass from Barnsley''

An outtake from Unhalfbricking, I take it?

> and I saw Sandy Denny live

Jealousy. Roger Hill once bought me a drink. He's actually (briefly)
on the Pete Frame family tree for Fairport.

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 9:02:09 AM3/12/04
In article <MPG.1abbd1995...@news.individual.net>,
Eric Jarvis <w...@ericjarvis.co.uk> wrote:
> For a Dancer

We were remarking, as we left the stunning but not cheerful ``21
grams'', that Sean Penn's done (as actor or as director) a lot of films
about dead children. ``The Pledge'' and ``Mystic River'' have murdered
young girls, ``The Crossing Guard'' and ``21 Grams'' have random deaths
in car accidents. Likewise, through the seventies, Browne did an awful
lot of songs about dead people. But then if you will live with Nico
before you're twenty, what do you expect?

ian

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 8:58:04 AM3/12/04
And lo, on 12 Mar 2004 13:08:17 +0000 (GMT), LNR
<l...@lspace.org> did say:

> Janet McKnight wrote:
> >Suzanne Vega, "The Queen and the Soldier"
>
> That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too

Oh, hell, yes. Doesn't help that one of the people I cried over far too
much had a line from it as one of their sigs, either.

> (she says,
> putting he Jeff Buckley one on). And Springsteen's The River (queueing
> that for next).

And Joni Mitchell, "River".

--
I'm so hard to handle, I'm selfish and I'm sad

August West

Mar 12, 2004, 9:05:23 AM3/12/04
Janet McKnight wrote:

> And lo, on 12 Mar 2004 13:08:17 +0000 (GMT), LNR
> <l...@lspace.org> did say:
>

>> And most versions of Hallelujah too
>
> Oh, hell, yes. Doesn't help that one of the people I cried over far too
> much had a line from it as one of their sigs, either.

*Never* get involved with anyone who quotes Laughing Lenny.

--
I've seen your flag on the marble arch

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 9:18:14 AM3/12/04
In article <slrnc53gfc....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> And Joni Mitchell, "River".

``I've never been skating on a frozen river
Joni and Jane make it sound so nice''

ian

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 9:20:20 AM3/12/04
In article <c2sgcq$202lcd$3...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,

August West <aug...@kororaa.com> wrote:
> *Never* get involved with anyone who quotes Laughing Lenny.

My regular cinema going companion and I disagree about almost all music,
and have branched out from cinema to music on I think only one occasion.
We went to a Leonard Cohen gig. It was _hilarious_. We expected doom
and gloom from the crypt (TM), and instead got (at best) Tony Bennett
and (at worst) Barry Mannilow with delusions of intellectual content.

ian

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 9:18:30 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:05:23 +0000, August West
<aug...@kororaa.com> did say:

> Janet McKnight wrote:
>
> > And lo, on 12 Mar 2004 13:08:17 +0000 (GMT), LNR
> > <l...@lspace.org> did say:
> >
> >> And most versions of Hallelujah too
> >
> > Oh, hell, yes. Doesn't help that one of the people I cried over far too
> > much had a line from it as one of their sigs, either.
>
> *Never* get involved with anyone who quotes Laughing Lenny.

Too late to do anything about it now.

--
Shall I at least set my lands in order?

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 9:19:32 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:23:11 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<I.G.B...@batten.eu.org> did say:

> In article <PMB*q2...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> LNR <l...@lspace.org> wrote:
> > Janet McKnight wrote:
> > >Suzanne Vega, "The Queen and the Soldier"
> >
> > That always gets me too. And most versions of Hallelujah too (she says,
> > putting he Jeff Buckley one on).
>
> You want the live version, of course, which segues into ``I Know It's
> Over''.

Crying now.

--
and we'll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

Peter Hucker

Mar 12, 2004, 9:27:03 AM3/12/04
Linz <sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2004 21:56:28 GMT, el...@notatla.org.uk (all mail refused)
> wrote:

>>> Thins the blood unpleasantly. Best avoided.
>>
>> What's unpleasant about it ?
>
> Ask someone who's had a bleeding stomach ulcer/nosebleed/varicose
> veins.

It's not something that happens to everyone. Mind you paracetamol and ibuprofen
are safer.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com for a gigabyte of my digital photos, including my 5
parrots
http://www.insanevideoclips.com for videos of people falling over, stuff blowing
up, etc

Hiroshima '45 Chernobyl '86 Windows '95

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 9:28:43 AM3/12/04
In article <slrnc53hnj....@chiark.greenend.org.uk>,

Janet McKnight <jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > You want the live version, of course, which segues into ``I Know It's
> > Over''.
>
> Crying now.

I've a compilation CD that I had in the car one holiday. The kids had a
top Van the Man impersonation singing along to ``Bright Side of the
Road'', loved Catie Curtis on ``Magnolia Street'', were puzzled by
Jeff's ``Hallelujah'' and the Blue Nile's ``Family Life'', enjoyed the
Clash's ``Spanish Bombs'' --- not so funny now, eh? --- but reserved
their real enthusiasm for Randy Scrugg's stunning cover of Steve
Goodman's ``City of New Orleans''. Aged four and six, that little lot
should set them up for life.

ian

Linz

Mar 12, 2004, 9:36:21 AM3/12/04
On 12 Mar 2004 10:01:05 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
(Janet McKnight) wrote:

>And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:52:26 +0000, Linz
><sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> did say:

>> On 11 Mar 2004 21:56:28 GMT, el...@notatla.org.uk (all mail refused)
>> wrote:

>> >What's unpleasant about it ?
>>
>> Ask someone who's had a bleeding stomach ulcer/nosebleed/varicose
>> veins.
>

>Are these things really a major risk with taking aspirin? Or only with
>prolonged use?

I think it can depend. It's possible to have blood clotting problems
without knowing, and aspirin can exacerbate that.

>My dad takes half an aspirin every day, since his (very minor) heart
>attack. It's supposed to be good for him.

Yes, it is keeping his blood thinned so he runs less chance of getting
clots that might cause further heart attacks.

David J Rainey

Mar 12, 2004, 9:55:05 AM3/12/04
In article <c2s54a$2fg$1...@anubis.demon.co.uk>, hu...@huge.org.uk says...

> Have you seen the video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt"? That makes *me*
> go all weepy.

AOL.

At least until my smartarsed younger brother held his hand over his
mouth and wheezed "you were right about me, Luke, there is still good
left in me, you were right!"

Bastard.

> That and Puccini's "O mio babbino caro".

Can't think of any other tunes. It's more movies for me. One that always
makes me well up is "the day the earth stood still" scene from "The
Dish".

rgds

David

Keith Willoughby

Mar 12, 2004, 10:04:56 AM3/12/04

I don't think any song has ever made me cry, but 'Strange Fruit' comes
closest, or 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda'. And Atmosphere by
Russ^WJoy Division, when I'm in the right/wrong mood.

"Our National Emergency Plan simply calls for lots of middle-aged women
to stand around in Post Office queues saying "Well, I said it'd happen"
until we all starve to death" - Mil Millington

Flying Hero Sandwich

Mar 12, 2004, 10:31:28 AM3/12/04
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:20:20 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<I.G.B...@batten.eu.org> wrote this:

>We went to a Leonard Cohen gig. It was _hilarious_. We expected doom
>and gloom from the crypt (TM)

That's because you're fuckheads.

Willy Eckerslyke

Mar 12, 2004, 11:05:29 AM3/12/04
Huge wrote:

> Have you seen the video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt"? That makes *me*
> go all weepy.

That's alright then, I thought it was just me. I'm sure a couple
of the concerts in the clips are ones I was at, but they didn't
feel _that_ long ago. Just, erm, twenty years or so. Hmm.

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 11:11:57 AM3/12/04
In article <c2sdgc$20rq9e$2...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,
August West <aug...@kororaa.com> writes:
> a) Failing to purchase lunch

Corrieri's Italianish cafe at the Causewayhead roundabout.

> > I'll be on ice in Perth.
>
> Oh, yes, I'm supposed to be doing that as well, sometime.

See you on the ice, as they say.
--
SAm.

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 11:13:00 AM3/12/04
In article <c2sde2$o5f$1...@news-out.ftel.co.uk>,

Ian G Batten <I.G.B...@batten.eu.org> writes:
> Great NG lines, #1 in a series. Introducing ``There's a Light Beyond
> These Woods, Mary Margaret'':
>
> ``Maggie wanted to run away to New York to live with Leonard Cohen,
> which was quite the most depressing idea I'd ever heard.''

`He still dreams of St Paul when he's cheatin' alone...'.
--
SAm.

Sam Nelson

Mar 12, 2004, 11:20:05 AM3/12/04
In article <u1g350dln0rie3gi2...@4ax.com>,
JAF <jafni...@ntlworld.com> writes:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:06:05 +0000 (UTC), s...@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <sa9350tsu2fbh78vk...@4ax.com>,
> > JAF <jafni...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> >> "Will ye go, lassie, go?"
> >>
> >> Beautiful song.
> >
> >You'll be familiar with the Silencers' version, I trust?
>
> Erm . . I couldn't really say, to be honest. The name rings no bells.

Jimme O'Neill? Fingerprintz? OK, try [0], and .../AlbumsDiscography.html
below it, and acquire `So Be It' for the original release, or it's on the
86-96 singles collection `Blood And Rain'.

0] http://thesilencers.free.fr/
--
SAm.

LNR

Mar 12, 2004, 11:28:26 AM3/12/04
Ian G Batten wrote:

>They both played Glastonbury 1982? I think that was the first time I
>saw both of them.

Hmm, no I was first at Glasto in '83, so it can't be that.

--
l...@lspace.org http://lnr.livejournal.com/

Willy Eckerslyke

Mar 12, 2004, 11:38:01 AM3/12/04
Ian G Batten wrote:
> And while
> we're talking of other great dead folk singers, Townes van Vandt is out
> of your depth, too.
>
> [[ I saw TvZ live once. He was sober-ish, too. Well worth the trip to
> Trysull Village Hall. ]]

Kewl. I think I must have seen him once at Wembley, but Mr Beam's
finest fogged my memory of the occasion. It may just have been Guy
Clark _talking_ about Townes. Navajo Rug's one of his isn't it?

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 11:44:34 AM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:36:21 +0000, Linz
<sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> did say:

> I think it can depend. It's possible to have blood clotting problems

> without knowing, and aspirin can exacerbate that.

This seems to contradict the next bit:

> >My dad takes half an aspirin every day, since his (very minor) heart
> >attack. It's supposed to be good for him.
>
> Yes, it is keeping his blood thinned so he runs less chance of getting
> clots that might cause further heart attacks.

How can aspirin be making blood clotting worse but also thinning the blood
and reducing chances of blood clotting?

Or by "blood clotting problems" do you mean "blood not-clotting problems"?

Thoroughly confused now!

--
careful of the stitches, insisted there was more than this

Linz

Mar 12, 2004, 12:06:59 PM3/12/04
On 12 Mar 2004 16:44:34 +0000 (GMT), jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
(Janet McKnight) wrote:

Blood-clotting problems covers both "clotting too fast" and "clotting
too slowly". Aspirin is a blood thinner, so it stops blood clotting
too fast. If you have blood that doesn't clot as fast as it might, and
you take aspirin, you can end up with blood that doesn't clot well at
all, which isn't a good thing.

Janet McKnight

Mar 12, 2004, 12:47:28 PM3/12/04
And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:05:23 +0000, August West
<aug...@kororaa.com> did say:

> *Never* get involved with anyone who quotes Laughing Lenny.

Eh, this reminds me, belatedly -- have you read "Beautiful Losers"?

--
for a minute there I lost myself

Ian G Batten

Mar 12, 2004, 1:01:33 PM3/12/04
In article <c2sgcq$202lcd$3...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,
August West <aug...@kororaa.com> wrote:
> *Never* get involved with anyone who quotes Laughing Lenny.

What's interesting is that people who have a reputation for grim
bleakness are actually usually very life affirming. Cohen, Thompson,
Reed: they're all fundamentally optimistic. They just have a slightly
sixth-form veneer of misanthropy. In the end they believe in music,
life, love and happiness.

ian

John of Aix

Mar 12, 2004, 1:19:57 PM3/12/04

Linz a écrit dans le message ...

>Yes, it is keeping his blood thinned so he runs less chance of getting
>clots that might cause further heart attacks.

Aspirin phooey, it's mud you need? Nothing quite like it for thinning the
blood.

bof

Mar 12, 2004, 1:46:16 PM3/12/04
In message <c2t031$dvk$7...@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr>, John of Aix
<j.mu...@libertysurf.fr> writes

ITYM 'cooling'

HTH HAND HIPPO ETC

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

MissJuggs

Mar 12, 2004, 2:39:34 PM3/12/04
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:58:15 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<I.G.B...@batten.eu.org> wrote:

>> and I saw Sandy Denny live
>
>Jealousy. Roger Hill once bought me a drink. He's actually (briefly)
>on the Pete Frame family tree for Fairport.

Tssk. The girl, who my third year practical project partner was
chatting up, went and slept with Roger Harper. Me and him and her had
drinks with him in the student bar before she did this.

Grief, where did I drag _that_ one up from?

Glenys

--
everything's either gothbollocks or cutebollocks.

Mary Pegg

Mar 12, 2004, 11:27:26 PM3/12/04
LNR wrote:

> Hmm, no I was first at Glasto in '83, so it can't be that.

How old?

John of Aix

Mar 13, 2004, 2:56:47 AM3/13/04

bof a écrit dans le message ...

>In message <c2t031$dvk$7...@news-reader2.wanadoo.fr>, John of Aix
><j.mu...@libertysurf.fr> writes
>>
>>Linz a écrit dans le message ...
>>
>>>Yes, it is keeping his blood thinned so he runs less chance of getting
>>>clots that might cause further heart attacks.
>>
>>Aspirin phooey, it's mud you need? Nothing quite like it for thinning the
>>blood.
>
>ITYM 'cooling'

You're no fun.

Peter Hucker

Mar 13, 2004, 8:42:18 AM3/13/04
August West <aug...@kororaa.com> wrote:

> Sam Nelson wrote:
>
>> Wretched, isn't it?
>
> This it your new catch phrase, is it?
>
> [I was up on Stirling U campus last Saturday.
> Might be again tommorow as well.]

Erk! You lot live near me!

--
http://www.petersparrots.com for a gigabyte of my digital photos, including my 5
parrots
http://www.insanevideoclips.com for videos of people falling over, stuff blowing
up, etc

I like to pick up hitchhikers. When they get in the car I say:
"Put on your seat belt. I want to try something. I saw it once in a cartoon, but
I think I can do it." -- Steve Wright

Peter Hucker

Mar 13, 2004, 9:10:03 AM3/13/04

I prefer alcohol.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com for a gigabyte of my digital photos, including my 5
parrots
http://www.insanevideoclips.com for videos of people falling over, stuff blowing
up, etc

You know, sometimes I get the sudden urge to run around naked.
But then I just drink some Windex. It keeps me from streaking.

Linz

Mar 13, 2004, 9:55:05 AM3/13/04
On 12 Mar 2004 10:58:18 GMT, hu...@huge.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

>jane...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Janet McKnight) writes:
>>And lo, on Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:28:02 -0000, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU
>><dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> did say:

>>> Nilsen's "Without you" used to have that effect on at least one girl I
>>> knew back in the early 70s.
>>

>>*snif* Makes me go weepy too.
>>
>>(Yeah-okay-I'm-a-big-soppy-girly-and-what-are-you-gonna-do-about-it?)
>

>Have you seen the video for Johnny Cash's "Hurt"? That makes *me*
>go all weepy.

REM's video for "Everybody Hurts". Well, it has to be with the song,
not just the video - and not just the song, either.
"Sand and Water" by Beth Neilsen Chapman.
"River" by Joni Mitchell.

August West

Mar 13, 2004, 10:20:38 AM3/13/04
Ian G Batten wrote:

> What's interesting is that people who have a reputation for grim
> bleakness are actually usually very life affirming. Cohen, Thompson,
> Reed: they're all fundamentally optimistic. They just have a slightly
> sixth-form veneer of misanthropy. In the end they believe in music,
> life, love and happiness.

Oh, I think Thompson's misanthropy is more than 6th form.
More sort of Voltaire-esqe.

And I'm never really sure if Reed's not just a prat.

> In the end they believe in music, life, love and happiness.

Yup.

--
418 I'm a teapot

August West

Mar 13, 2004, 10:21:01 AM3/13/04
Janet McKnight wrote:

> And lo, on Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:05:23 +0000, August West
> <aug...@kororaa.com> did say:
>
>> *Never* get involved with anyone who quotes Laughing Lenny.
>
> Eh, this reminds me, belatedly -- have you read "Beautiful Losers"?

Not sure, really.

August West

Mar 13, 2004, 10:22:48 AM3/13/04
Sam Nelson wrote:

I tend to go to Murrayfield, rather than Perth, however.

Peter Hucker

Mar 13, 2004, 11:21:41 AM3/13/04
Steve Firth <usen...@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> Linz <sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> REM's video for "Everybody Hurts".
>

> He said "weepy" not "nauseous".

ROFL!

--
http://www.petersparrots.com for a gigabyte of my digital photos, including my 5
parrots
http://www.insanevideoclips.com for videos of people falling over, stuff blowing
up, etc

If a cat joined the Red Cross, would it become a First-Aid Kit?

Mary Pegg

Mar 13, 2004, 1:00:56 PM3/13/04
bof wrote:

> HTH HAND HIPPO ETC
^^^^^
Note to Peter: this is not an acronym.
But it *is* Greek for HORSE.

HTH HAND POTAMUS ETC

Shereen

Mar 13, 2004, 1:04:55 PM3/13/04
Eric Jarvis wrote:
> yeuch...I'm just stockpiling for when I find a financially viable use for
> phlegm

Chemical warfare?

Just imagine opening your mail in the morning and finding an envelope
full of snot. You wouldn't be at all happy.

Shereen

--
Cotton candy and a rotten mouth
You know you're so fucked up

Shereen

Mar 13, 2004, 1:09:05 PM3/13/04
Sam Nelson wrote:

> Can I say `Shania Twain' here?

Nope. Sorry, but that's just uncalled for.

Shereen

Mar 13, 2004, 1:20:57 PM3/13/04
Huge wrote:

> Oh, and Pink Floyd's "Echoes" makes me kind of wistful.

"Dear Chicago" and "Jesus (Don't touch my baby)" by Ryan Adams do
that to me.

Some of the traditional stuff my parents listen to make me sad too,
fr'example the one about young Willie McBride.

And "Farewell my companions, me friends and me work mates
Farewell to the pay days, the pints and the craic
For we gave them our best years, now they've paid us back
By making us yesterday's me, sure as hell, by making us yesterday's
men"

Reminds me of the time the factory Dad worked at closed down in a
slow and painful way and tore the heart out of the town I grew up in
and a lot of people in it.

Peter Hucker

Ian G Batten

Mar 13, 2004, 3:27:33 PM3/13/04
In article <c2v8sa$1vhp8h$1...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,

August West <aug...@kororaa.com> wrote:
> And I'm never really sure if Reed's not just a prat.

It's a fine line. Consider his last tour, onstage Tai Chi and all.
Utterly ludicrous pretention. Amazing degree of self-regard. Delicious
Noise. What's a man to think? If an obviously egomanic twit makes
wonderful music, should his prattery disqualify him?

ian

August West

Mar 13, 2004, 3:49:41 PM3/13/04
Ian G Batten wrote:

Oh, no; not at all. Only rabid post-modernists feel the need for the
character of the author to inform the reaction to his works.

0] This, however, doesn'tt hold for Wagner, who was a prat in all regards.
--
even the pawn must hold a grudge

Ian G Batten

Mar 13, 2004, 4:03:52 PM3/13/04
In article <c2vs5m$208r82$1...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,

August West <aug...@kororaa.com> wrote:
> Oh, no; not at all. Only rabid post-modernists feel the need for the
> character of the author to inform the reaction to his works.

I don't quite agree. A real post-modernist grants the author almost no
relationship to their work. It's the rad-fem and/or rad-left lot who
think that because Larkin was a fan of schoolgirl spanking porn and had
the political leanings one might expect from a man of his age living in
Hull, somehow The Whitsun Weddings is rendered the worse for it.

ian

August West

Mar 13, 2004, 4:27:37 PM3/13/04
Ian G Batten wrote:

> It's the rad-fem and/or rad-left lot who
> think that because Larkin was a fan of schoolgirl spanking porn and had
> the political leanings one might expect from a man of his age living in
> Hull, somehow The Whitsun Weddings is rendered the worse for it.

Well, quite; everyone knows that we can dismiss him becasue he didn't like
Be Bop...

Ian G Batten

Mar 13, 2004, 5:03:42 PM3/13/04
In article <c2vucq$211kip$1...@ID-31556.news.uni-berlin.de>,

August West <aug...@kororaa.com> wrote:
> Well, quite; everyone knows that we can dismiss him becasue he didn't like
> Be Bop...

But he loved what he loved, and that makes what he didn't like less
important.

ian

all mail refused

Mar 13, 2004, 6:00:18 PM3/13/04
In article <u%H4c.1026$nw1.843@newsfe1-win>, Mary Pegg wrote:

>> HTH HAND HIPPO ETC
> ^^^^^
>Note to Peter: this is not an acronym.
>But it *is* Greek for HORSE.

Isn't there a letter missing ?

Keith Willoughby

Mar 13, 2004, 7:10:38 PM3/13/04
> Mmmm Bop...

Hanson were't to everyone's taste.

"You've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it."

LNR

Mar 14, 2004, 7:58:06 AM3/14/04

7 1/2, my little sister Emily was nearly 3.

83, 84, 85, 95, 2003 so far, planning to be there this year too.

--
l...@lspace.org http://lnr.livejournal.com/

Janet McKnight

Mar 14, 2004, 8:55:58 AM3/14/04
And lo, on Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:49:41 +0000, August West
<aug...@kororaa.com> did say:

> Only rabid post-modernists feel the need for the

> character of the author to inform the reaction to his works.

Er, would this be the same postmodernism that celebrates the death of the
author?

--
fools who think they see the light

It is loading more messages.