Joss at Nocturnal: transcripts (long..)

Mattia Valente

Jul 23, 2001, 7:21:14 AM7/23/01
Hey hey..

The subject came up a while back, and this popped up in alt.tv.angel, so
I thought I'd forward it here. Dunno who did the transcribing, as the
original poster didn't say, just said she'd got it from someone.

It's the more or less complete transcript from the Joss Whedon parts of
the talks at Nocturnal (the all guest panel part isn't in here, 'just'
his own talk and his parts of the time he was on stage with Nick
Brendon.) I've done some editing here and there, where the transcriber
missed something I caught.

BE WARNED!! CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL OF BUFFY SEASON 5 AND ANGEL
S2!

Some little things about upcoming seasons are in there as well. Not very
much, though (obviously, since Joss believes spoiler are evil, and
rightly so ;-)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Jul 23, 2001, 5:09:39 PM7/23/01
Previously, on uk.media.tv.angel - Mattia Valente <mat...@nksf.nl> wrote:

> BE WARNED!! CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL OF BUFFY SEASON 5 AND ANGEL
> S2!

> .

[Fred]

> The idea of whether or not her being a physicist matters: we want to
> make it
> matter, but the whole writing staff came to me, and it was like, "Do we.
> have to know physics?", and I was like, "Well, I'm not gonna! I have
> two shows! I'm busy!"

This worries me a whole lot. If they're going to do science and have the
same suspension of disbelief that we give to the fantasy elements, they
have to do some basic background checking.

> We want it worked out in her character: we want her to
> be a little different, bring something a little different to the mix in
> terms of the gang.

I don't see how the physics is necessary for this; I would've thought her
personality should be the thing that differentiates her.

<snip>

> but Warren is actually gonna make a reappearance,
> we've got some plans for him.

As long as he doesn't bring more robots with him...

> We've got some plans for some of our old
> characters coming back, not the least of whom and very dear to my heart
> is Jonathan. [cheers]

'ray!

> J: Nothing was really sketched out from the beginning except the very
> basic premise: Buffy and Xander and Willow, and the romance with Angel.
> It wasn't until, I think, late in the first season that I had the idea
> for "Buffy sleeps with Angel and he goes bad and becomes the villain".

Well, that's scotched *that* rumour.

[...]

> Everything evolves; it comes usually maybe six months ahead, or it comes
> from a sudden shock or a sudden stroke of luck.

....and that gives Little Miss Muffet a serious knock.

> Q: And at what point did you decide to have Spike fall in love with
> Buffy?
> J: That was towards the end of his first season [?Does he mean 3 or 4?],
> where he had come on and really didn't have that much to do, he'd show
> up and go [Spinal Tap voice] "I hate the Scooby gang. 'bye!", he was
> sort of the wacky neighbour, and we thought, "Well, there's more there;
> how do we find it?"

And, wow, they actually did just keep Spike around with no idea what to do
with him for a season. That's shaken my faith...

> Q: Spike has often done heroic things, whether because he's had to or
> because he wanted to. How far do you think he can go to being a real
> hero figure, or do you think he'll never.?
> J: That's one of the questions we're asking ourselves now as we break
> next season, is like, y'know, 'cause Spike has done very selfless
> things, he's
> shown real caring, and at the same time he can be a complete pain in the
> butt. We don't know the answer to that, and we're sort of gonna feel
> our way around and find out.

Jee-zus! You'd think they'd at least have decided on that one...!

> Q: [the question about repeated killing for an army of Slayers]
> J: [mimes repeated drowning] .dunk. dunk. No, I think first of all,
> this will probably be the last time we kill her, and hopefully different
> from the time before, and no, in fact her death will not create a new
> Slayer. The line now runs through Faith. So we'd have to kill Faith,
> and if you want us
> to do that. ["NOOOOOO!"] All right.

Someone put that in the umtb FAQ, quick. A direct quote!

> Q: Have you got any plans to bring Lindsay back?
> J: Lindsay is another one of those actors who keeps getting other gigs,
> and we hate him for it, but the answer is most assuredly yes.

...in a sweeps two-parter, with Darla, right? :-)

Some interesting stuff there, though.

Niall

--
Could be a city thing
Could be a country thing

Mattia Valente

Jul 23, 2001, 7:48:05 PM7/23/01

We'll have to see how that pans out. Later on he did go on to say they
would be exploring what it meant to be back after all those years, blah
blah blah..

> > We want it worked out in her character: we want her to
> > be a little different, bring something a little different to the mix in
> > terms of the gang.
>
> I don't see how the physics is necessary for this; I would've thought her
> personality should be the thing that differentiates her.

Well, yes. Skill set is important though. She could've been the Zeppo, I
suppose..

> > but Warren is actually gonna make a reappearance,
> > we've got some plans for him.
>
> As long as he doesn't bring more robots with him...

Heh.

> > We've got some plans for some of our old
> > characters coming back, not the least of whom and very dear to my heart
> > is Jonathan. [cheers]
>
> 'ray!

Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.

> > J: Nothing was really sketched out from the beginning except the very
> > basic premise: Buffy and Xander and Willow, and the romance with Angel.
> > It wasn't until, I think, late in the first season that I had the idea
> > for "Buffy sleeps with Angel and he goes bad and becomes the villain".
>
> Well, that's scotched *that* rumour.

Which rumor?

> > Everything evolves; it comes usually maybe six months ahead, or it comes
> > from a sudden shock or a sudden stroke of luck.
>
> ....and that gives Little Miss Muffet a serious knock.

Not necessarily. he says usually, not always. To me that makes sense.
He's said before that they get a basic outline, important points, etc
done in advance and fill in the rest as they go along. Example: he
pitched 'Angel' around the time Becoming II was being made, told Joyce
that he was going to kill her off in S5 in S2 or 3.

Most of the stories may not break waaaay in advance, but I'd guess
there's a sense of where he wants to go. Little Miss Muffet seems to be
something that has been planned a good long while in advance. I'm
actually a little annoyed I didn't ask if he knew about Dawn (the little
sister concept) when he wrote 'Graduation Day', or whether he just had a
vague idea. In any event, this is the one example of real long term
planning that we've had.

> > Q: And at what point did you decide to have Spike fall in love with
> > Buffy?
> > J: That was towards the end of his first season [?Does he mean 3 or 4?],
> > where he had come on and really didn't have that much to do, he'd show
> > up and go [Spinal Tap voice] "I hate the Scooby gang. 'bye!", he was
> > sort of the wacky neighbour, and we thought, "Well, there's more there;
> > how do we find it?"
>
> And, wow, they actually did just keep Spike around with no idea what to do
> with him for a season. That's shaken my faith...

...towards the end of the season. But, well, yes. S4 is shaky and weak
that way, and it was pretty obvious that Spike seemed out of place and
criminally underused. S5 rectified that.

> > Q: Spike has often done heroic things, whether because he's had to or
> > because he wanted to. How far do you think he can go to being a real
> > hero figure, or do you think he'll never.?
> > J: That's one of the questions we're asking ourselves now as we break
> > next season, is like, y'know, 'cause Spike has done very selfless
> > things, he's
> > shown real caring, and at the same time he can be a complete pain in the
> > butt. We don't know the answer to that, and we're sort of gonna feel
> > our way around and find out.
>
> Jee-zus! You'd think they'd at least have decided on that one...!

Perhaps they have, now, but they're just not telling us. Spike is the
most complex character on either show as far as motivations are
concerned, because we've got the luggage of a bizarre fourth season and
strange developments in the fifth. I will admit that Spike worries me.
It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
streak. It's part of who he is.)

> > Q: [the question about repeated killing for an army of Slayers]
> > J: [mimes repeated drowning] .dunk. dunk. No, I think first of all,
> > this will probably be the last time we kill her, and hopefully different
> > from the time before, and no, in fact her death will not create a new
> > Slayer. The line now runs through Faith. So we'd have to kill Faith,
> > and if you want us
> > to do that. ["NOOOOOO!"] All right.
>
> Someone put that in the umtb FAQ, quick. A direct quote!

Hehe.

> > Q: Have you got any plans to bring Lindsay back?
> > J: Lindsay is another one of those actors who keeps getting other gigs,
> > and we hate him for it, but the answer is most assuredly yes.
>
> ...in a sweeps two-parter, with Darla, right? :-)

Possibly :o)

> Some interesting stuff there, though.

Indeed. The panel talk was alos nice and revealing, but I can't seem to
remember much of it. I want vids, dammit!

Mattia
--
"My beagle went swimming today and now he's typing on my keyboard with
his ample nose. Oh, and he's the bestest handsomeest beagle EVER."

Niall Harrison

Jul 24, 2001, 3:26:12 PM7/24/01
>> > We want it worked out in her character: we want her to
>> > be a little different, bring something a little different to the mix in
>> > terms of the gang.
>>
>> I don't see how the physics is necessary for this; I would've thought her
>> personality should be the thing that differentiates her.
>
> Well, yes. Skill set is important though. She could've been the Zeppo, I
> suppose..

Important that she has skills, yes. But physics is not, and should not be
made to be, relevant to the fantasy happenings in 'Angel'.

>> > We've got some plans for some of our old
>> > characters coming back, not the least of whom and very dear to my heart
>> > is Jonathan. [cheers]
>>
>> 'ray!
>
> Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.

Eh? You didn't like 'Superstar'?

>> > J: Nothing was really sketched out from the beginning except the very
>> > basic premise: Buffy and Xander and Willow, and the romance with Angel.
>> > It wasn't until, I think, late in the first season that I had the idea
>> > for "Buffy sleeps with Angel and he goes bad and becomes the villain".
>>
>> Well, that's scotched *that* rumour.
>
> Which rumor?

The rumour that all the major events up to the end of S3 were planned in
advance.

>> > Everything evolves; it comes usually maybe six months ahead, or it comes
>> > from a sudden shock or a sudden stroke of luck.
>>
>> ....and that gives Little Miss Muffet a serious knock.
>
> Not necessarily. he says usually, not always. To me that makes sense.
> He's said before that they get a basic outline, important points, etc
> done in advance and fill in the rest as they go along. Example: he
> pitched 'Angel' around the time Becoming II was being made, told Joyce
> that he was going to kill her off in S5 in S2 or 3.

I can believe he knew Buffy was going to die at the end of S5; but on this
basis I don't see him having the whole Glory/Dawn thing worked out back
then.

>> > Q: Spike has often done heroic things, whether because he's had to or
>> > because he wanted to. How far do you think he can go to being a real
>> > hero figure, or do you think he'll never.?
>> > J: That's one of the questions we're asking ourselves now as we break
>> > next season, is like, y'know, 'cause Spike has done very selfless
>> > things, he's shown real caring,

I'm amazed that the redemptionists on the alt groups haven't jumped on
this...

>> > and at the same time he can be a
>> > complete pain in the butt. We don't know the answer to that, and
>> > we're sort of gonna feel our way around and find out.
>>
>> Jee-zus! You'd think they'd at least have decided on that one...!
>
> Perhaps they have, now, but they're just not telling us.

No, I think in that case he'd have said 'you'll have to wait and see'.

> Spike is the most complex character on either show as far as motivations
> are concerned, because we've got the luggage of a bizarre fourth season
> and strange developments in the fifth.

Well, precisely. To have gone into it without a clear idea of where Spike
is going seems crazy to me.

> I will admit that Spike worries me.
> It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
> streak. It's part of who he is.)

Let's face it, it's more or less gone already. Everything he has done can
be explained in terms of selfishness, but I can't see him going bad any
time soon. :-/

>> > Q: [the question about repeated killing for an army of Slayers]
>> > J: [mimes repeated drowning] .dunk. dunk. No, I think first of all,
>> > this will probably be the last time we kill her, and hopefully different
>> > from the time before, and no, in fact her death will not create a new
>> > Slayer. The line now runs through Faith. So we'd have to kill Faith,
>> > and if you want us
>> > to do that. ["NOOOOOO!"] All right.
>>
>> Someone put that in the umtb FAQ, quick. A direct quote!
>
> Hehe.

I'm serious, actually.

Niall

--
Honesty is a beautiful lie
People say what they will to get by.

Mattia Valente

Jul 24, 2001, 7:28:46 PM7/24/01

Indeedy.

> >> 'ray!
> >
> > Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.
>
> Eh? You didn't like 'Superstar'?

Not particularly. The "ooh, it's fun and nifty and NEW!!" thing wore
off. It's not an ep I hate, but I felt that at that point in time, in a
season that already wasn't paying very much attention to the arc
(although we got some form of strange exposition..) it was out of place.
Not a fave of mine.

> >> Well, that's scotched *that* rumour.
> >
> > Which rumor?
>
> The rumour that all the major events up to the end of S3 were planned in
> advance.

Oh. That was rumored? Never heard that one (which surprises me..)

> >> ....and that gives Little Miss Muffet a serious knock.
> >
> > Not necessarily. he says usually, not always. To me that makes sense.
> > He's said before that they get a basic outline, important points, etc
> > done in advance and fill in the rest as they go along. Example: he
> > pitched 'Angel' around the time Becoming II was being made, told Joyce
> > that he was going to kill her off in S5 in S2 or 3.
>
> I can believe he knew Buffy was going to die at the end of S5; but on this
> basis I don't see him having the whole Glory/Dawn thing worked out back
> then.

No. Agreed. Definately not completely. Perhaps he had this 'new
character, perhaps little sister' thing in there, and that (obviously)
she wasn't real, and that it would be dramatic and strange, but that
doesn't quite constitute 'knowing what is going to happen'.

> I'm amazed that the redemptionists on the alt groups haven't jumped on
> this...

Indeed..perhaps because it was posted to ata only?

> >> Jee-zus! You'd think they'd at least have decided on that one...!
> >
> > Perhaps they have, now, but they're just not telling us.
>
> No, I think in that case he'd have said 'you'll have to wait and see'.

True. I'm just trying to repress the slight panic. Gotta repeat that
'trust in Joss' mantra a few times..although in this case it's more of a
'listen do Fury, listen to Fury..'

> > Spike is the most complex character on either show as far as motivations
> > are concerned, because we've got the luggage of a bizarre fourth season
> > and strange developments in the fifth.
>
> Well, precisely. To have gone into it without a clear idea of where Spike
> is going seems crazy to me.

Scary, on the one hand, but interesting on the other. Makes him
unpredictable and 'organic', developing as things move along...I'm not
sure it's good. I'm worried.

> > I will admit that Spike worries me.
> > It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
> > streak. It's part of who he is.)
>
> Let's face it, it's more or less gone already. Everything he has done can
> be explained in terms of selfishness, but I can't see him going bad any
> time soon. :-/

I don't expect him to at this point. But I don't want him fluffier than
he already is. Please, no true goody goody Spike. He needs to keep that
edge there (ie, Buffy needs to keep rejecting him. Hard, if necessary.
Be mean to him, I don't care..)

> >> Someone put that in the umtb FAQ, quick. A direct quote!
> >
> > Hehe.
>
> I'm serious, actually.

I know, but it's still funny...you think people read the FAQ?

<ducks and runs..>

Reality

Jul 24, 2001, 7:44:20 PM7/24/01

Mattia Valente <mat...@nksf.nl> wrote in message

Indeed, given the dodgy physics in previous eps.. but then again, it`s
fantasy physics, so that`s o.k then :) Suspension of disbelief? *two thumbs*
hahaha ;)

> We'll have to see how that pans out. Later on he did go on to say they
> would be exploring what it meant to be back after all those years, blah
> blah blah..

Oh, christ.. what`s next? We have the "Dallas shower scene" explanation of
Buffys return?? OI !! Joss!! NO !! ect ;)

> > > We want it worked out in her character: we want her to
> > > be a little different, bring something a little different to the mix
in
> > > terms of the gang.
> >
> > I don't see how the physics is necessary for this; I would've thought
her
> > personality should be the thing that differentiates her.
>
> Well, yes. Skill set is important though. She could've been the Zeppo, I
> suppose..

Or she may have needed the work and Joss fancied her.. allegedly.. haha ;)
Who knows? ;)

> > > but Warren is actually gonna make a reappearance,
> > > we've got some plans for him.
> >
> > As long as he doesn't bring more robots with him...
>
> Heh.
>
> > > We've got some plans for some of our old
> > > characters coming back, not the least of whom and very dear to my
heart
> > > is Jonathan. [cheers]
> >
> > 'ray!
>
> Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.

Oh, no.. Jesus Christ Johnathan star?? Hasn`t that been done?? mmm... ;)
Still, It`d give the wardrobe dept a bit of a boost.. ;)

> > > J: Nothing was really sketched out from the beginning except the very
> > > basic premise: Buffy and Xander and Willow, and the romance with
Angel.
> > > It wasn't until, I think, late in the first season that I had the idea
> > > for "Buffy sleeps with Angel and he goes bad and becomes the villain".
> >
> > Well, that's scotched *that* rumour.
>
> Which rumor?

Indeed.. lost me on that one.. Where you by any chance living real life
there?? ;) (joking ppl.. sheesh ;)

> > > Everything evolves; it comes usually maybe six months ahead, or it
comes
> > > from a sudden shock or a sudden stroke of luck.
> >
> > ....and that gives Little Miss Muffet a serious knock.
>
> Not necessarily. he says usually, not always. To me that makes sense.
> He's said before that they get a basic outline, important points, etc
> done in advance and fill in the rest as they go along. Example: he
> pitched 'Angel' around the time Becoming II was being made, told Joyce
> that he was going to kill her off in S5 in S2 or 3.
> Most of the stories may not break waaaay in advance, but I'd guess
> there's a sense of where he wants to go. Little Miss Muffet seems to be
> something that has been planned a good long while in advance. I'm
> actually a little annoyed I didn't ask if he knew about Dawn (the little
> sister concept) when he wrote 'Graduation Day', or whether he just had a
> vague idea. In any event, this is the one example of real long term
> planning that we've had.

Or could otherwise be interpreted as, "we haven`t a bloody clue".. Stephen
King once said he sits down to write a story with all but the first few
chapters in his head.. where it
goes from there, it goes.. I agree.. I`ve done that loads of times, with
music, writing ect.. maybe they`ll surprise us for by once writing out of
the box? :)

> > > Q: And at what point did you decide to have Spike fall in love with
> > > Buffy?
> > > J: That was towards the end of his first season [?Does he mean 3 or
4?],
> > > where he had come on and really didn't have that much to do, he'd show
> > > up and go [Spinal Tap voice] "I hate the Scooby gang. 'bye!", he was
> > > sort of the wacky neighbour, and we thought, "Well, there's more
there;
> > > how do we find it?"
> >
> > And, wow, they actually did just keep Spike around with no idea what to
do
> > with him for a season. That's shaken my faith...
>
> ...towards the end of the season. But, well, yes. S4 is shaky and weak
> that way, and it was pretty obvious that Spike seemed out of place and
> criminally underused. S5 rectified that.

Indeed, esp with Tim`s "fool for love/darla" crossover.. but JM was never
really a weak character.. he`s made both series for me.. I just hope they
don`t use him in S3/S6 in the
same lightweight way.. :)

> > > Q: Spike has often done heroic things, whether because he's had to or
> > > because he wanted to. How far do you think he can go to being a real
> > > hero figure, or do you think he'll never.?
> > > J: That's one of the questions we're asking ourselves now as we break
> > > next season, is like, y'know, 'cause Spike has done very selfless
> > > things, he's
> > > shown real caring, and at the same time he can be a complete pain in
the
> > > butt. We don't know the answer to that, and we're sort of gonna feel
> > > our way around and find out.
> >
> > Jee-zus! You'd think they'd at least have decided on that one...!
>
> Perhaps they have, now, but they're just not telling us. Spike is the
> most complex character on either show as far as motivations are
> concerned, because we've got the luggage of a bizarre fourth season and
> strange developments in the fifth. I will admit that Spike worries me.
> It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
> streak. It's part of who he is.)

And see above.. Is JM contractually obligated to remain on a network, now
they`ve split? mmm...

> > > Q: [the question about repeated killing for an army of Slayers]
> > > J: [mimes repeated drowning] .dunk. dunk. No, I think first of all,
> > > this will probably be the last time we kill her, and hopefully
different
> > > from the time before, and no, in fact her death will not create a new
> > > Slayer. The line now runs through Faith. So we'd have to kill Faith,
> > > and if you want us
> > > to do that. ["NOOOOOO!"] All right.
> >
> > Someone put that in the umtb FAQ, quick. A direct quote!
>
> Hehe.

Christ, how many shower scenes do we need?? hahaha ;)

> > > Q: Have you got any plans to bring Lindsay back?
> > > J: Lindsay is another one of those actors who keeps getting other
gigs,
> > > and we hate him for it, but the answer is most assuredly yes.
> >
> > ...in a sweeps two-parter, with Darla, right? :-)
>
> Possibly :o)

Haahah ;) Oh, well, maybe.. he can be "the dancing demon" ;)

> > Some interesting stuff there, though.
>
> Indeed. The panel talk was alos nice and revealing, but I can't seem to
> remember much of it. I want vids, dammit!
>
> Mattia
> --
> "My beagle went swimming today and now he's typing on my keyboard with
> his ample nose. Oh, and he's the bestest handsomeest beagle EVER."
> --Tim Minear, Salon.com, May 2001

I`d rather have a frontal lobotamy, than a an Angel chatopony.. erm.. did I
screw up that quote?? um.. ;) hahaha ;)

No offence peeps :)

Mattia Valente

Jul 24, 2001, 8:23:57 PM7/24/01

Erm....no thanks. 'Happy Aniversary' was bad enough as dodgy physics is
concerned.

> > We'll have to see how that pans out. Later on he did go on to say they
> > would be exploring what it meant to be back after all those years, blah
> > blah blah..
>
> Oh, christ.. what`s next? We have the "Dallas shower scene" explanation of
> Buffys return?? OI !! Joss!! NO !! ect ;)

We're talking about ANGEL, not Buffy, you nit..what it means for Fred to
be back in LA after living in a cave for five years, isolated and alone.
Besides, Joss has said, re: Buffy ressurection a la Dallas: "No. Dallas
was lame." Here's hoping it's not a bluff...

> > > I don't see how the physics is necessary for this; I would've thought
> > > her personality should be the thing that differentiates her.
> >
> > Well, yes. Skill set is important though. She could've been the Zeppo, I
> > suppose..
>
> Or she may have needed the work and Joss fancied her.. allegedly.. haha ;)
> Who knows? ;)

According to Amy, she was hired because of her glasses.

> > > 'ray!
> >
> > Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.
>
> Oh, no.. Jesus Christ Johnathan star?? Hasn`t that been done?? mmm... ;)
> Still, It`d give the wardrobe dept a bit of a boost.. ;)

It has, which is the point. I'd rather have another 'Earshot' than
another 'Superstar', as far as quality of ep is concerned.

> Or could otherwise be interpreted as, "we haven`t a bloody clue".. Stephen
> King once said he sits down to write a story with all but the first few
> chapters in his head.. where it
> goes from there, it goes.. I agree.. I`ve done that loads of times, with
> music, writing ect.. maybe they`ll surprise us for by once writing out of
> the box? :)

Sometimes it has happened, IMO (S4 Spike; they had no plan, and it
showed.) Writing can be a dynamic process, but you have to have a plan
as to where you're headed, where you want to go with it all, or it just
becomes muddled and strange (X-Files, anyone?). Specifics can be worked
out later, fleshed out, but you need a framework. 6 months isn't very
long, though..

> > ...towards the end of the season. But, well, yes. S4 is shaky and weak
> > that way, and it was pretty obvious that Spike seemed out of place and
> > criminally underused. S5 rectified that.
>
> Indeed, esp with Tim`s "fool for love/darla" crossover.. but JM was never
> really a weak character.. he`s made both series for me.. I just hope they
> don`t use him in S3/S6 in the same lightweight way.. :)

They're not going to use him at all in S3, I should think. What with the
no crossover thing the WB's insisting on. Spike was a weak and
directionless character in late S4; he still had charisma and presence,
because, well, James is good, but strenght he lacked.

Oh, and Tim Minear wrote 'Darla', Petrie wrote 'FFL'.

> > Perhaps they have, now, but they're just not telling us. Spike is the
> > most complex character on either show as far as motivations are
> > concerned, because we've got the luggage of a bizarre fourth season and
> > strange developments in the fifth. I will admit that Spike worries me.
> > It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
> > streak. It's part of who he is.)
>
> And see above.. Is JM contractually obligated to remain on a network, now
> they`ve split? mmm...

Whaa? JM is a Buffy regular. He never, ever was an Angel reg. He's in
Buffy's credits, where he's going to stay by all accounts. There will be
no Spike on Angel (in any way, you slash-whores..sheesh..) next season.
JM's contract has nothing to do with the network the show airs on; he's
under contract with Fox, who produce the show and own all the rights.
UPN and the WB just air them.

> > > Someone put that in the umtb FAQ, quick. A direct quote!
> >
> > Hehe.
>
> Christ, how many shower scenes do we need?? hahaha ;)

Well, Sarah has a 'no shower contract', apparently..

> I`d rather have a frontal lobotamy, than a an Angel chatopony.. erm.. did I
> screw up that quote?? um.. ;) hahaha ;)
>
> No offence peeps :)

If I knew what you were trying to say, I probably still wouldn't take
any..

Reality

Jul 24, 2001, 9:50:30 PM7/24/01
Oh, and here we go again.. sheesh ;)

Mattia Valente <mat...@nksf.nl> wrote in message

And my point was?? hello?? ;)

> > > We'll have to see how that pans out. Later on he did go on to say they
> > > would be exploring what it meant to be back after all those years,
blah
> > > blah blah..
> >
> > Oh, christ.. what`s next? We have the "Dallas shower scene" explanation
of
> > Buffys return?? OI !! Joss!! NO !! ect ;)
>
> We're talking about ANGEL, not Buffy, you nit..what it means for Fred to
> be back in LA after living in a cave for five years, isolated and alone.
> Besides, Joss has said, re: Buffy ressurection a la Dallas: "No. Dallas
> was lame." Here's hoping it's not a bluff...

I was talking about both series.. this "is" a discussion on "previously
stated" S2 and S5 spoilers?? erm.. Read between the lines.. sheesh ;)

> > > Well, yes. Skill set is important though. She could've been the Zeppo,
> > > suppose..
> >
> > Or she may have needed the work and Joss fancied her.. allegedly.. haha
;)
> > Who knows? ;)
>
> According to Amy, she was hired because of her glasses.

Really?? what a fun comment ;)

> > > Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.
> >
> > Oh, no.. Jesus Christ Johnathan star?? Hasn`t that been done?? mmm...
;)
> > Still, It`d give the wardrobe dept a bit of a boost.. ;)
>
> It has, which is the point. I'd rather have another 'Earshot' than
> another 'Superstar', as far as quality of ep is concerned.

I was taking the piss?? Sheesh.. ;)

I know, I was joking?? See below..

> > > Perhaps they have, now, but they're just not telling us. Spike is the
> > > most complex character on either show as far as motivations are
> > > concerned, because we've got the luggage of a bizarre fourth season
and
> > > strange developments in the fifth. I will admit that Spike worries me.
> > > It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
> > > streak. It's part of who he is.)
> >
> > And see above.. Is JM contractually obligated to remain on a network,
now
> > they`ve split? mmm...
>
> Whaa? JM is a Buffy regular. He never, ever was an Angel reg. He's in
> Buffy's credits, where he's going to stay by all accounts. There will be
> no Spike on Angel (in any way, you slash-whores..sheesh..) next season.
> JM's contract has nothing to do with the network the show airs on; he's
> under contract with Fox, who produce the show and own all the rights.
> UPN and the WB just air them.

Indeed, but is he contractually obligated to either network? agh.. Just
wondering.. :)

Faith,

> > > Hehe.
> >
> > Christ, how many shower scenes do we need?? hahaha ;)
>
> Well, Sarah has a 'no shower contract', apparently..
>
> > I`d rather have a frontal lobotamy, than a an Angel chatopony.. erm..
did I
> > screw up that quote?? um.. ;) hahaha ;)
> >
> > No offence peeps :)

> If I knew what you were trying to say, I probably still wouldn't take
> any..

Well there you go.. a one sentence summary on the attitude everyone should
take on the newsgroups.. They should include it in every group.. :)

Mattia Valente

Jul 25, 2001, 5:34:09 AM7/25/01
Reality wrote:

> Oh, and here we go again.. sheesh ;)

Always :-)

> > > Indeed, given the dodgy physics in previous eps.. but then again, it`s
> > > fantasy physics, so that`s o.k then :) Suspension of disbelief? *two
> > > thumbs* hahaha ;)
> >
> > Erm....no thanks. 'Happy Aniversary' was bad enough as dodgy physics is
> > concerned.
>
> And my point was?? hello?? ;)

It's hard to tell what your point is sometimes.

> > > Oh, christ.. what`s next? We have the "Dallas shower scene" explanation
> > > of Buffys return?? OI !! Joss!! NO !! ect ;)
> >
> > We're talking about ANGEL, not Buffy, you nit..what it means for Fred to
> > be back in LA after living in a cave for five years, isolated and alone.
> > Besides, Joss has said, re: Buffy ressurection a la Dallas: "No. Dallas
> > was lame." Here's hoping it's not a bluff...
>
> I was talking about both series.. this "is" a discussion on "previously
> stated" S2 and S5 spoilers?? erm.. Read between the lines.. sheesh ;)

Well, no, S3 and S6 stuff, really, but this particular segment of text
was commentary on bits relating to what Joss said about Fred, and how S3
of Angel is going to be developed. The you went off and dragged Buffy's
ressurection (which Joss wasn't saying very much about, and still
isn't..) into it.

> > According to Amy, she was hired because of her glasses.
>
> Really?? what a fun comment ;)

It was half in jest, but it seems the glasses she has on the show are
very much like the ones she wore to the audition..heh.

> > > Oh, no.. Jesus Christ Johnathan star?? Hasn`t that been done?? mmm...
> > > ;)
> > > Still, It`d give the wardrobe dept a bit of a boost.. ;)
> >
> > It has, which is the point. I'd rather have another 'Earshot' than
> > another 'Superstar', as far as quality of ep is concerned.
>
> I was taking the piss?? Sheesh.. ;)

Euh, why are you taking this personally? I'm a) agreeing with you and b)
suggesting that an ep of 'Earshot' quality would be more interesting. To
me, anyway.

> > > Indeed, esp with Tim`s "fool for love/darla" crossover.. but JM was
> > > never really a weak character.. he`s made both series for me.. I
> > > just hope they don`t use him in S3/S6 in the same lightweight way..
> > > :)
> >
> > They're not going to use him at all in S3, I should think. What with the
> > no crossover thing the WB's insisting on. Spike was a weak and
> > directionless character in late S4; he still had charisma and presence,
> > because, well, James is good, but strenght he lacked.
> >
> > Oh, and Tim Minear wrote 'Darla', Petrie wrote 'FFL'.
>
> I know, I was joking?? See below..

Erm, right. Didn't look like joking. Now if you'd use smileys only where
appropriate....

<g, d+r>

> > Whaa? JM is a Buffy regular. He never, ever was an Angel reg. He's in
> > Buffy's credits, where he's going to stay by all accounts. There will be
> > no Spike on Angel (in any way, you slash-whores..sheesh..) next season.
> > JM's contract has nothing to do with the network the show airs on; he's
> > under contract with Fox, who produce the show and own all the rights.
> > UPN and the WB just air them.
>
> Indeed, but is he contractually obligated to either network? agh.. Just
> wondering.. :)

He's not contractually obligated to any network, that's the point. He's
cotractually obligated to Fox TV, ME and Joss Whedon (one or several of
the above..) He makes the show, and the way things look, with zero
crossovers (due to the WB) the liklihood (already slim) of Spike on
Angel isn't very high. Unless, of course, he moves, which is bloody
unlikely.

> > > I`d rather have a frontal lobotamy, than a an Angel chatopony.. erm..
> > > did I screw up that quote?? um.. ;) hahaha ;)
> > >
> > > No offence peeps :)
> >
> > If I knew what you were trying to say, I probably still wouldn't take
> > any..
>
> Well there you go.. a one sentence summary on the attitude everyone should
> take on the newsgroups.. They should include it in every group.. :)

Erm, right. It doesn't preclude critical commentary. Doesn't mean I'm
taking anything personally, though...

<eg>

Niall Harrison

Jul 25, 2001, 9:13:56 AM7/25/01

>> > Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.
>>
>> Eh? You didn't like 'Superstar'?
>
> Not particularly. The "ooh, it's fun and nifty and NEW!!" thing wore
> off. It's not an ep I hate, but I felt that at that point in time, in a
> season that already wasn't paying very much attention to the arc
> (although we got some form of strange exposition..) it was out of place.
> Not a fave of mine.

Fair enough. I loved it. :-)

>> I'm amazed that the redemptionists on the alt groups haven't jumped on
>> this...
>
> Indeed..perhaps because it was posted to ata only?

S'alright, they've spotted it now. :-)

>> > I will admit that Spike worries me.
>> > It could get really bad (please, please don't let him loose his evil
>> > streak. It's part of who he is.)
>>
>> Let's face it, it's more or less gone already. Everything he has done can
>> be explained in terms of selfishness, but I can't see him going bad any
>> time soon. :-/
>
> I don't expect him to at this point. But I don't want him fluffier than
> he already is. Please, no true goody goody Spike. He needs to keep that
> edge there (ie, Buffy needs to keep rejecting him. Hard, if necessary.
> Be mean to him, I don't care..)

Thing is, they've got to go *somewhere*. They can't just keep teasing
people as they have been doing - they do have to come down on one side or
other of the fence at some point.

>> > Hehe.
>>
>> I'm serious, actually.
>
> I know, but it's still funny...you think people read the FAQ?

I live in hope...

Followups set, since this is now Buffy-only.

Niall

--
If I walk by the trees
I'll catch the falling leaves.

Andrew Poulter

Jul 25, 2001, 3:24:20 PM7/25/01

Niall Harrison <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

I couldn't agree more. Lets hope that they leave the phyisics well alone -
it has nothing to do with *this* show.

AJP

Andrew Poulter

Jul 25, 2001, 3:26:04 PM7/25/01

Niall Harrison <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

Perhaps as a physisist she'd be more analytical - one to back Wes up in the
"think before you leap" camp.

> >> 'ray!
> >
> > Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.
>
> Eh? You didn't like 'Superstar'?

I loved it, but its been done & I don't want to see it again.

AJP

Andrew Poulter

Jul 25, 2001, 3:28:52 PM7/25/01

Reality <Reali...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

"Fantasy Physics"? I do hope you were joking.

AJP

Niall Harrison

Jul 25, 2001, 3:40:00 PM7/25/01
Previously, on uk.media.tv.angel - Andrew Poulter <ajpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Niall Harrison <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> >>
>> Important that she has skills, yes. But physics is not, and should not be
>> made to be, relevant to the fantasy happenings in 'Angel'.
>
> Perhaps as a physisist she'd be more analytical - one to back Wes up in the
> "think before you leap" camp.

Good point.

>> > Rah. As long as it's not another 'Superstar'.
>>
>> Eh? You didn't like 'Superstar'?
>
> I loved it, but its been done & I don't want to see it again.

Well, yeah. But I don't see why anyone would assume that brining Jonathan
back means another 'Superstar'.

Niall

--
Today is whatever I want it to mean.

Niall Harrison

Jul 25, 2001, 3:41:00 PM7/25/01
Previously, on uk.media.tv.angel - Andrew Poulter <ajpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Reality <Reali...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

[Fred]

>> Indeed, given the dodgy physics in previous eps.. but then again, it`s

>> fantasy physics, so that`s o.k then :) Suspension of disbelief? *two
>> thumbs* hahaha ;)
>
> "Fantasy Physics"? I do hope you were joking.

Oh, it'll be all the rage soon, you mark my works. You pick a crack team
of famous physicists and get points every time they publish a paper.

Niall

--
Two hamsters, five minutes.

Andrew Poulter

Jul 25, 2001, 3:56:49 PM7/25/01

Niall Harrison <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

No, indeed not. I was really just following the argument through.

AJP

Andrew Poulter

Jul 25, 2001, 3:58:56 PM7/25/01

Niall Harrison <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

ROTFL!

I love it!

(Although I think you'd need to weight the points system to reflect the
importance of the paper. A new Hawkin or Gell-Mann paper must be worth more
points than one by "J. Random Graduate-Student" on falling toast, or shower
curtains). :-)

AJP

Niall Harrison

Jul 25, 2001, 4:08:18 PM7/25/01
>> > "Fantasy Physics"? I do hope you were joking.
>>
>> Oh, it'll be all the rage soon, you mark my works. You pick a crack team
>> of famous physicists and get points every time they publish a paper.
>
> ROTFL!
>
> I love it!
>
> (Although I think you'd need to weight the points system to reflect the
> importance of the paper. A new Hawkin or Gell-Mann paper must be worth more
> points than one by "J. Random Graduate-Student" on falling toast, or shower
> curtains). :-)

Oh, indeed. You'd also have to take into account the impact factor of the
journal they publish in. So, do you stock your team with geniuses [1]
who'll publish one paper a year in _Nature_, or hard-working but average
scientists who'll knock out twenty papers for, say, _Journal of
Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics_ [2] ? It's a gamble, and that's part of
the fun!

Niall

[1] Geneii?

[2] http://www.elsevier.nl/inca/publications/store/5/0/2/6/9/3/

--
I am a fraction - a part of a broken man.

Reality

Jul 25, 2001, 8:28:51 PM7/25/01

Andrew Poulter <ajpo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hahaha ;) Nope, being as they`ve already crossed the threshold on pretty
much everything.. Hence my "fantasy physics" joke.. ;)

Reality

Jul 25, 2001, 8:47:12 PM7/25/01

Reality <Reali...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

P.S Has to be Hawking and the unification theory.. ;) Always seemed a bit
self evident?? agh ;)

David Meadows

Jul 28, 2001, 4:05:53 AM7/28/01
"Niall Harrison" <s...@tirian.magd.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

I agree. This is one of the reasons why Buffy/Angel are not "science
fiction" (as we've discussed in another thread). Fantasy requires a
suspension of disbelief. True SF doesn't, at least not in the same way. True
SF should be plausible; therefore you don't suspend your disbelief, you
*believe*.

--
David Meadows
"That's the kind of woolly-headed liberal thinking