OT : Converting Real Video to VCD ?

Chris Ford

Dec 6, 2001, 3:43:53 PM12/6/01
Hi

Is anyone able to convert a Real Video file I have into a VCD so I can play it
on my DVD player ?

Im not sure if this is possible but if someone could offer their help it would
be very greatfully recieved !

Cheers

Chris

Harry the Horse

Dec 6, 2001, 6:02:50 PM12/6/01
"Chris Ford" <cfor...@aol.com> wrote in message
www.eo-video.com

Plus check out www.vcdhelp.com for all sorts of useful informtion regarding
VCD and SVCD.

Richard Griffiths

Dec 7, 2001, 10:56:08 AM12/7/01
> Hi
>
> Is anyone able to convert a Real Video file I have into a VCD so I can
play it
> on my DVD player ?

Absolutely not. Here's a challenge for all the technies and hackers out
there: it cannot be done.

RealVideo is an end format so once something has been encoded into a .rm
file you are stuck. You cannot take a high-quality RealVideo file and
reencode it to lower bit rates. You cannot take a RealVideo file and edit
it in Premier or anything else. You cannot put a RealVideo file into
Cleaner and churn out MPEG files or anything useful no matter what bitrate
it was originally encoded at.

Your only option with a high quality stream (say at least 700) would be to
play it full screen and plug the VGA output of your computer into what's
called a Scan Converter (about £100 for a cheap one) that produces a PAL
svideo or composite signal which can be recorded to tape or redigitised
using a capture card on a second computer. The audio you can take from the
speaker socket on your computer.

However, this is a bit of a handfisted way of making copies and is what we
in the trade call "lossy".

Richard.

--
Remove the NOSPAM if replying to this

Chris Ford

Dec 7, 2001, 1:24:45 PM12/7/01

>Absolutely not. Here's a challenge for all the technies and hackers out
>there: it cannot be done.

Thanks Richard , I had a feeling it wasnt possible but thought Id ask and see
anyhow

Cheers

Chris

JM

Dec 7, 2001, 1:58:06 PM12/7/01
cfor...@aol.com (Chris Ford) wrote in

There is a method mentioned on one of the VCD websites (don't have a URL
try a google on "VCD tools", but it's an iffy way, something to do with
turning off all graphic performance and running a frame by frame
screengrabber on the realvideo movie...

ie not impossible, but hardly worth it.

cheers
John