Help connecting DVD recorder

Trevor Appleton

Dec 20, 2003, 3:01:44 PM12/20/03
Help!

I need help connecting up a new DVD recorder.

have Panasonic DMRE50 EBS
TIVO PVR
SKY
VCR

Trevor Appleton

Dec 20, 2003, 3:02:35 PM12/20/03
BTW

I have no idea what RGB or AV means!

Trevor Appleton <tre...@weather.4dinternet.co.uk> wrote in message

David Beamish

Dec 20, 2003, 3:57:00 PM12/20/03
STOP!1!!111!! Trevor Appleton time:

> BTW
>
> I have no idea what RGB or AV means!

you could do with stating what model of TV you have, how many scart sockets
it has and how many of them are RGB compatible (RGB means Red Green Blue -
look in the manual).

AV = audio visual

If you dont get the help you want, try uk.media.home-cinema

Trevor Appleton

Dec 20, 2003, 4:56:58 PM12/20/03
TV is Panasonic TX-28PL4
AV1 Audio in/Video in/out, RGB in

AV2 Audio/Video in/out S-video in, Q link

AV3 - Front S-Video in, RCA audio/Video in

David Beamish <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

David Beamish

Dec 20, 2003, 5:43:03 PM12/20/03
STOP!1!!111!! Trevor Appleton time:

> TV is Panasonic TX-28PL4
> AV1 Audio in/Video in/out, RGB in
>
> AV2 Audio/Video in/out S-video in, Q link
>
> AV3 - Front S-Video in, RCA audio/Video in

Ok.. firstly.. would you mind stopping top posting? makes it harder to
repond :) thanks

Can I ask why you have a TIVO and a DVDR? Are they both for recording Sky
onto?

Trevor Appleton

Dec 20, 2003, 6:21:03 PM12/20/03

David Beamish <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

DVR for keeping things longer. TIVO for the convenience.

Yes I will record from the SKY box.

David Beamish

Dec 20, 2003, 7:10:02 PM12/20/03
STOP!1!!111!! Trevor Appleton time:

> DVR for keeping things longer. TIVO for the convenience.
>

> Yes I will record from the SKY box.

Ok well I am guessing you can put the Tivo into the Sky box as Sky boxes
(well mine anyway) have a scart output to connect to the TV and a Scart
for connecting to the video recording device.

The Sky box then plugs into one of your Scart sockets. It is up to you
if you use the RGB one or not. You might want to leave that for the
DVDR.

I dont know about your Tivo but does it have multiple scart outputs?

I am thinking you might need a scart switching box to get the DVDR and
the VHS video into the back of your TV. Does your DVDR have multiple
outputs? If so it can connect to the (potential) second output to the
second input of the TIVO so you can record from TIVO to DVDR.

Then the vhs and dvdr connect to a scart switching box like this:
http://tinyurl.com/jzo4

Its a manual switching box which means if you want to watch a DVD then
you'd need to select the DVD input on the box, and visa versa for
watching a VHS.

Its a bargin price and does a great job with the video.

Any of that any help?

Bigarbel

Dec 20, 2003, 10:16:56 PM12/20/03
This is my set-up; disconected my VCR as I never used it anymore.
I have a DVD-Player and that is connected to AV1 on my TV

TIVO:
Scart 1: TV out (goes to AV2 on TV)
Scart 2: SKY in**
Scart 3: DVD-R*

DVD-R
AV1: nothing*
AV2: TIVO*

SKY
AV1: Nothing
AV2: TIVO**

Record/view from SKY I do through TIVO (press VCR button on TIVO
remote to view DVD-R)
You need to change the output from the DVD-R to composite (NOT RGB)

Two changes can be made to my set-up.
1. You can connect your AV1 on your DVD recorder to your TV to have
direct viewing (RGB is possible then)
I don't do this because my DVD-Player is on AV1
2. Connect AV1 on your SKY with your AV1 on the DVD-R, for direct
recording without going through your TIVO; this can already be
occupied by your video, of course
i don't do this because this way it is very convienient; I record what
I want with TIVo in Best Quality and leave the box on. At the same
time I set my DVD-R to record from TIVO.
Although there is a small quality drop compared to direct connection,
it is barely noticable (to be honest: I don't see any difference)
--

--Bigarbel--

Check out my recent edit:
http://www.bigar.co.uk

Nigel Morgan

Dec 21, 2003, 6:11:14 AM12/21/03
On 21 Dec 2003 00:10:02 GMT, David Beamish <m...@privacy.net> inspired by Deep
Thought wrote:

>Then the vhs and dvdr connect to a scart switching box like this:
>http://tinyurl.com/jzo4
>
>Its a manual switching box which means if you want to watch a DVD then
>you'd need to select the DVD input on the box, and visa versa for
>watching a VHS.
>
>Its a bargin price and does a great job with the video.
>
>Any of that any help?

Hmm... looks good - and a good price too. But I bet www.cpc.co.uk have a better
range. They do a range of manual switch boxes or a range of 2, 3 or 5 way auto
in/out splitters. I've just bought a 6 input to 1 output switch box for £36 +
VAT with remote control built-in (i.e. you don't have to get off your bum to
switch inputs). It has 4 RCA/Phono (2 audio + 1 composite video) & S-Video
inputs (i.e. 4 sets of 3 RCA sockets & 4 S-Video sockets), two SCART inputs and
one RCA/S-Video output to say the TV.

Their prices are good too; free delivery on orders over £30 ex VAT & if ordered
before approx 3pm, free next day delivery is almost certain (via UPS courier).
You can order online once you've set up an account.

I only have one gripe: once you set up an account, you get inundated with weekly
special offers booklets. Still, you do get a free humungous catalogue every
year with over 2000 pages in.

Just a satisfied customer that's all!

Nigel

Remove the notme.spammers from my e-mail address to reply via e-mail

Aagh! Every time I learn something new... it pushes something old out of my brain!

David Beamish

Dec 21, 2003, 6:05:50 AM12/21/03
STOP!1!!111!! Nigel Morgan time:

> Hmm... looks good - and a good price too.

> Nigel

aye its widely regarded as one of the best boxes available as its RGB,
audio outputs and basically no pic degredation. I'd imagine a lot of the
people here that needed one, bought that.

However, yeah.. 3 inputs isn't that much I guess..

cpc are a pretty good lot. I'm not getting all the junk you are tho. No
idea why ;)

Trevor Appleton

Dec 21, 2003, 12:52:48 PM12/21/03

David Beamish <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Are you saying I will have to buy this switching device to connect
everything up?

David Beamish

Dec 21, 2003, 7:18:57 PM12/21/03
STOP!1!!111!! Trevor Appleton time:

> Are you saying I will have to buy this switching device to connect
> everything up?

possibly.. depends on your desired result for how you want it all to
function