OT: Should you trust shoujo fans?

Skip to the first unread message

Martin Hopley

16 Mar 2003, 15:09:2916/03/2003
Hi all,

Very off topic but I just wanted to tell you about something that
happened to Justin on his trip to Japan. As we were going to stay with
one of my friend's family and I knew how fussy Justin was with Japanese
food, I told him that if you're given anything to eat then it'd be very
rude to decline. I think I saw this in some shoujo thing a while ago and
I believe this is a blatent lie but it worked. So proving he has the
courage to be a mecha pilot, here's Justin eating crab's brains:

http://www.shadows-gathering.co.uk/The_infamous_crab_incident.html

Having said that, full credit to the as I could NEVER go that far. Raw
octopus was a pleasent surprise but crab's brains are a definate no! The
guy who showed him how to get to the cranium at the back of one of the
pictures is bigger in real life so I'd be scared if he told me as well!

cheerio,

Maritn

Justin Palmer

16 Mar 2003, 15:25:5916/03/2003
In article <3E74D9F9...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Hi all,

I think I'd better apologise on Martins behalf for posting this
twice; I guess its not just me that suffers from indecisiveness. ^_^
And, no, you can't trust shoujo fans.

> Very off topic but I just wanted to tell you about something
>that
>happened to Justin on his trip to Japan. As we were going to stay with
>one of my friend's family and I knew how fussy Justin was with Japanese
>food, I told him that if you're given anything to eat then it'd be very
>rude to decline. I think I saw this in some shoujo thing a while ago and
>I believe this is a blatent lie but it worked.

Did he learn that tactic from Piro of MegaTokyo?!!
Incidentally, this from a guy whos afraid of seaweed. At least
that doesn't stare back at you!

(snip)

>http://www.shadows-gathering.co.uk/The_infamous_crab_incident.html
>
>Having said that, full credit to the as I could NEVER go that far. Raw
>octopus was a pleasent surprise but crab's brains are a definate no! The
>guy who showed him how to get to the cranium at the back of one of the
>pictures is bigger in real life so I'd be scared if he told me as well!

I think I might have mentioned that this chap is a judo
instructor. I wasn't going to argue too much... his skill at
dismembering and cracking open a crab may also have made an impression
on me... ^_^

--
"Please give way to small | jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk |
children in the cat-bus area." | |

Martin Hopley

16 Mar 2003, 16:01:4916/03/2003
Hi All,

> I think I'd better apologise on Martins behalf for posting this
> twice; I guess its not just me that suffers from indecisiveness. ^_^

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm using the naff Netscape newsreader and it's
going kack a lot.

> And, no, you can't trust shoujo fans.

I resent that! But then again, the number of Japanese women I know who
are like raving fangirls and have played very cunning tricks on me leads
me to believe that there *may* be some truth in it.

>> Very off topic but I just wanted to tell you about something
>>that
>>happened to Justin on his trip to Japan. As we were going to stay with
>>one of my friend's family and I knew how fussy Justin was with Japanese
>>food, I told him that if you're given anything to eat then it'd be very
>>rude to decline. I think I saw this in some shoujo thing a while ago and
>>I believe this is a blatent lie but it worked.
> Did he learn that tactic from Piro of MegaTokyo?!!
> Incidentally, this from a guy whos afraid of seaweed. At least
> that doesn't stare back at you!

Oh come off it, you were scared of a Japanese hamburger until I forced
you to try one! Ok, you didn't like the Mayonaise but at least you tried
it! Then there was the yakitori (chicken on a stick) that you were
scared to eat at Matsuri in the Park until I forced you! :-)

I must say though that I'm only a little bit better and this year I
forced myself to eat raw octopus for the first time (which turned out to
be very tasty.) Next step is to eat raw octopus that's so fresh that
it's still moving. Sounds like I'm joking but I'm not as it's a
delicasy!!! (sp?)

> (snip)
>
>>http://www.shadows-gathering.co.uk/The_infamous_crab_incident.html
>>
>>Having said that, full credit to the as I could NEVER go that far. Raw
>>octopus was a pleasent surprise but crab's brains are a definate no! The
>>guy who showed him how to get to the cranium at the back of one of the
>>pictures is bigger in real life so I'd be scared if he told me as well!
> I think I might have mentioned that this chap is a judo
> instructor. I wasn't going to argue too much... his skill at
> dismembering and cracking open a crab may also have made an impression
> on me... ^_^

His skill in the art of diasecting a crab with minimum effort was quite
frankly disturbing! But he is a judo instructor so I'm just glad he
didn't tell me to eat it!

cheerio,

Martin

Dano

16 Mar 2003, 17:03:0716/03/2003
<snippage of crab-related shenanigans>

umm... linking to the images local on your hard-disk, it won't work ^^;;

-Dano

---

Justin Palmer

16 Mar 2003, 17:09:1016/03/2003
In article <3E74E63D...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Hi All,

(snip)

> And, no, you can't trust shoujo fans.
>
>I resent that!

That may be so, but its still true. ^_^

(snip)

> Incidentally, this from a guy whos afraid of seaweed. At least
>> that doesn't stare back at you!
>
>Oh come off it, you were scared of a Japanese hamburger until I forced
>you to try one!

I'm *still* scared, you know...!

(snip)

> Then there was the yakitori (chicken on a stick) that you were
>scared to eat at Matsuri in the Park until I forced you! :-)

If there are any legal types around here, I would appreciate
some advice on how I can get a restraining order to stop Martin doing
this to me (I even promise I won't let the Ad-M-66X near you, too... )

>> I think I might have mentioned that this chap is a judo
>> instructor. I wasn't going to argue too much... his skill at
>> dismembering and cracking open a crab may also have made an impression
>> on me... ^_^

(snip)

>His skill in the art of diasecting a crab with minimum effort was quite
>frankly disturbing! But he is a judo instructor so I'm just glad he
>didn't tell me to eat it!

Next time, I'm bribing him *first*... ^_^

Martin Hopley

17 Mar 2003, 04:14:1117/03/2003
Dano wrote:
> <snippage of crab-related shenanigans>
> umm... linking to the images local on your hard-disk, it won't work ^^;;

ARG!!! Sorry, I hate webdesign hence the crap look so I've redone it
again, still on:

http://www.shadows-gathering.co.uk/The_infamous_crab_incident.html

How the hell I'm going to cope with 3 weeks worth of photos I don't know
but I have to get the ones of Justin with the Eva and the Godzilla and
me with the 1:1 scale Rei scanned in at least.

cheerio,

Martin

Martin Hopley

17 Mar 2003, 04:24:0417/03/2003
Hi All,

> (snip)
>> And, no, you can't trust shoujo fans.
>>I resent that!
> That may be so, but its still true. ^_^

Just be glad you're not going to ask me to go on holiday with you again!
:-) (Assuming you're not going to!)

> (snip)
>>> Incidentally, this from a guy whos afraid of seaweed. At least
>>>that doesn't stare back at you!
>>Oh come off it, you were scared of a Japanese hamburger until I forced
>>you to try one!
> I'm *still* scared, you know...!

You can scape off the mayonaise, you know, and it tastes perfectly fine! :-)

> (snip)
>
>>Then there was the yakitori (chicken on a stick) that you were
>>scared to eat at Matsuri in the Park until I forced you! :-)
> If there are any legal types around here, I would appreciate
> some advice on how I can get a restraining order to stop Martin doing
> this to me (I even promise I won't let the Ad-M-66X near you, too... )

For a mecha pilot, your courage is very selective! Besides, after
travelling 10'000 odd miles, you went a whole holiday eating McDonalds!
And not even their teriyaki burgers! I will NEVER forgive you for that! :-)

I assume no-one wants to come with me in October? :-D

>>> I think I might have mentioned that this chap is a judo
>>>instructor. I wasn't going to argue too much... his skill at
>>>dismembering and cracking open a crab may also have made an impression
>>>on me... ^_^
> (snip)
>>His skill in the art of diasecting a crab with minimum effort was quite
>>frankly disturbing! But he is a judo instructor so I'm just glad he
>>didn't tell me to eat it!
> Next time, I'm bribing him *first*... ^_^

For some reason I just had a scary image of him as a bishounen
character! >_<; Then he'd be really evil!

Mata ne,

Martin

Martin Hopley

17 Mar 2003, 04:38:0617/03/2003
Our mate, Jcat, who's a blinking nice guy though one of his hobbies is
cosplay photography (we won't go into that) couldn't spell Justin of
obvious reasons so he spells it, Justice. Probably the best typo anyone
could hope for and only Wanza Ariake has a better name for a mecha pilot
^^; Unless someone can thing of a better one.

mata ne,

Martin

Justin Palmer

17 Mar 2003, 06:31:2817/03/2003
In article <3E75977...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes

>Our mate, Jcat, who's a blinking nice guy though one of his hobbies is
>cosplay photography (we won't go into that) couldn't spell Justin of
>obvious reasons so he spells it, Justice.

Wah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...!

(snip)

Justin Palmer

17 Mar 2003, 06:55:4017/03/2003
In article <3E759434...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley

<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Hi All,

(snip)
>Just be glad you're not going to ask me to go on holiday with you again!
>:-) (Assuming you're not going to!)

When I finish talking to the legal chaps, you're not even going
to be allowed onto the same planet...! ^_^

(snip)

>> I'm *still* scared, you know...!
>
>You can scape off the mayonaise, you know, and it tastes perfectly fine! :-)

The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.

(snip)

>> If there are any legal types around here, I would appreciate
>> some advice on how I can get a restraining order to stop Martin doing
>> this to me (I even promise I won't let the Ad-M-66X near you, too... )
>
>For a mecha pilot, your courage is very selective!

Facing off an invading horde of heavily armed alien aggressors,
fine. Eating their gunk, no. ^_^

(snip)

>I assume no-one wants to come with me in October? :-D

Hello! Kitty fetishists only, please. ^_^

(snip)
>>>His skill in the art of diasecting a crab with minimum effort was quite
>>>frankly disturbing! But he is a judo instructor so I'm just glad he
>>>didn't tell me to eat it!
>> Next time, I'm bribing him *first*... ^_^
>
>For some reason I just had a scary image of him as a bishounen
>character! >_<; Then he'd be really evil!

Well, Stephen has mentally scarred me for life by placing a
cuddly crab on top of my head the other day... (a cuddly crab! I ask
you! Theres even a bean bag octopus!)

Martin Hopley

17 Mar 2003, 12:16:5917/03/2003
Hi All,

> (snip)
>
>>Just be glad you're not going to ask me to go on holiday with you again!
>>:-) (Assuming you're not going to!)
> When I finish talking to the legal chaps, you're not even going
> to be allowed onto the same planet...! ^_^

Well if you're willing to deport me to another planet that I can
probably live with that, make sure there's cat girls on it though :D

> (snip)
>>> I'm *still* scared, you know...!
>>You can scape off the mayonaise, you know, and it tastes perfectly fine! :-)
> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.

It's people like you I want locked in a cell with nothing to eat for a
fortnight other than natto. I don't know what it's made of but the
Japanese say it's very healthy for you (translation, it tastes really
bad.) But I tried it as the family I was staying with in Niigata always
like a joke and the foreigner eating weird Japanese food is always fun
:-) I'm sure there are some people out there who aren't Japanese who
like this stuff, I'm assuming again it's an aquired taste so I'm going
to keep trying it until I like it.

> (snip)
>
>>> If there are any legal types around here, I would appreciate
>>>some advice on how I can get a restraining order to stop Martin doing
>>>this to me (I even promise I won't let the Ad-M-66X near you, too... )
>>For a mecha pilot, your courage is very selective!
>
> Facing off an invading horde of heavily armed alien aggressors,
> fine. Eating their gunk, no. ^_^

That's no way to talk about our Japanese friends! :-) Besides, their
junk is a damn sight more healthy then the American junk we get here.

> (snip)
>
>>I assume no-one wants to come with me in October? :-D
> Hello! Kitty fetishists only, please. ^_^

Thanks, I forgot about that! Where is Harmony Land anyway?

> (snip)

>>> Next time, I'm bribing him *first*... ^_^
>>For some reason I just had a scary image of him as a bishounen
>>character! >_<; Then he'd be really evil!
> Well, Stephen has mentally scarred me for life by placing a
> cuddly crab on top of my head the other day... (a cuddly crab! I ask
> you! Theres even a bean bag octopus!)

Oh, I've heard about them. I want one! ^^; The octopus anyway.

Mata ne,
--
Martin Hopley
Director/Writer for Shadows Gathering Kashira Theatre LTD

"Sadly, I am not Wanza Ariake."

Justin Palmer

17 Mar 2003, 12:55:5817/03/2003
In article <3E76030...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes

>Hi All,
>
>> (snip)
>>
>>>Just be glad you're not going to ask me to go on holiday with you again!
>>>:-) (Assuming you're not going to!)
>> When I finish talking to the legal chaps, you're not even going
>> to be allowed onto the same planet...! ^_^
>
>Well if you're willing to deport me to another planet that I can
>probably live with that, make sure there's cat girls on it though :D

Sorry, you'll have to speak to Dr. Law-Green about that. He
bought up the title deeds to every cat-girl in-habited planet in the
Galaxy before anyone else saw the boom developing...!

(snip)

>> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.
>
>It's people like you I want locked in a cell with nothing to eat for a
>fortnight other than natto. I don't know what it's made of but the
>Japanese say it's very healthy for you (translation, it tastes really
>bad.)

(snip)

Natto is possibly the greatest medicine in the universe, but
humanity will never know because no-one wants to try the stuff!

(snip)

>> Facing off an invading horde of heavily armed alien aggressors,
>> fine. Eating their gunk, no. ^_^
>
>That's no way to talk about our Japanese friends! :-)

I wasn't, I was just making a comparison. ^_^

> Besides, their
>junk is a damn sight more healthy then the American junk we get here.

Are you talking about Disney again? ^_^

(snip)

>> Hello! Kitty fetishists only, please. ^_^
>
>Thanks, I forgot about that! Where is Harmony Land anyway?

<click!> BOOM! Well, whats left of it is over there... and
there... and there... ^_^

(snip)

>(a cuddly crab! I ask
>> you! Theres even a bean bag octopus!)
>
>Oh, I've heard about them. I want one! ^^; The octopus anyway.

I might just put a real one in a cuddly skin just for revenge
purposes... ^_^

Stuart Dawson

17 Mar 2003, 16:41:5317/03/2003
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:55:58 +0000, Justin Palmer
<jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>Well if you're willing to deport me to another planet that I can
>>probably live with that, make sure there's cat girls on it though :D
>
>Sorry, you'll have to speak to Dr. Law-Green about that. He
>bought up the title deeds to every cat-girl in-habited planet
>in the Galaxy before anyone else saw the boom developing...!

<clicks fingers> So that's the real reason he became an astronomer!
To search the universe for intelligent life in the shape of cat girls.
Y'know, it all makes sense now. ^_^

--
Stuart Dawson - 327 art books now reviewed
http://www.jingoro.demon.co.uk/frame.htm

Stuart Dawson

17 Mar 2003, 16:43:0117/03/2003
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:38:06 +0000, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>only Wanza Ariake has a better name for a mecha pilot
>^^; Unless someone can thing of a better one.

You've never heard of Amanda the Commander?

Wednesday

17 Mar 2003, 23:08:0217/03/2003
Stuart Dawson <stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> wrote:
><clicks fingers> So that's the real reason he became an astronomer!
>To search the universe for intelligent life in the shape of cat girls.

I'm tempted to point out the difference between astronomy and Astroglide,
but the Golden Girls are on.
--
[ w. ] ::::: why are you laughing so much? are you under the drugs? - lena

Peter Boulter

18 Mar 2003, 01:18:0018/03/2003
Justin Palmer(jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk) added:

> >You can scape off the mayonaise, you know, and it tastes perfectly
> fine! :-)
> >
> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.

That's it exactly. It's all very well to just say 'scrape the mayonnaise
off' but the contamination remains!

== Peter ==
"There is no such thing as a coincidence
in this world. There is only necessity."
(Kaho Mizuki: Cardcaptor Sakura)

Martin Hopley

18 Mar 2003, 08:59:5018/03/2003
Hi all,

>>>You can scape off the mayonaise, you know, and it tastes perfectly
>>fine! :-)
>> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.
> That's it exactly. It's all very well to just say 'scrape the mayonnaise
> off' but the contamination remains!

Oh god, not another one! Just think of sweet/tasty things (not catgirls
mind) and chew! You're not another one of these people who refuses to
eat anything they can't pronounce are you? Be grateful you're not coming
on holiday with me! :-D

Cheerio,

Martin Hopley

18 Mar 2003, 09:07:3618/03/2003
Justin Palmer wrote:
> In article <3E76030...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
> <martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>>>(snip)

>>> When I finish talking to the legal chaps, you're not even going
>>>to be allowed onto the same planet...! ^_^
>>Well if you're willing to deport me to another planet that I can
>>probably live with that, make sure there's cat girls on it though :D
> Sorry, you'll have to speak to Dr. Law-Green about that. He
> bought up the title deeds to every cat-girl in-habited planet in the
> Galaxy before anyone else saw the boom developing...!

Damn monopoly tycoon! Well, he's not getting the Tokyo Mew Mew Figurines
I dragged back (Which I'm tempted to put onto Ebay if he doesn't answer
my e-mails!) unless he lets me on one planet! And you remember how much
of a pain getting those 5 back were!

> (snip)
>
>>> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.
>>It's people like you I want locked in a cell with nothing to eat for a
>>fortnight other than natto. I don't know what it's made of but the
>>Japanese say it's very healthy for you (translation, it tastes really
>>bad.)
>
> (snip)
> Natto is possibly the greatest medicine in the universe, but
> humanity will never know because no-one wants to try the stuff!

Oh, the Japanese eat it which is why they can pilot giant robots (in
anime at least) but no-one else will be able to as the fumes from that
stuff is like smelling salts!

>>Besides, their
>>junk is a damn sight more healthy then the American junk we get here.
> Are you talking about Disney again? ^_^

I wasn't but good point :p

> (snip)
>
>>> Hello! Kitty fetishists only, please. ^_^
>>Thanks, I forgot about that! Where is Harmony Land anyway?
> <click!> BOOM! Well, whats left of it is over there... and
> there... and there... ^_^

Oh don't worry, it'll reform in a few days. Just in time for my return
hopefully!

> (snip)
>
>>(a cuddly crab! I ask
>>>you! Theres even a bean bag octopus!)
>>Oh, I've heard about them. I want one! ^^; The octopus anyway.
> I might just put a real one in a cuddly skin just for revenge
> purposes... ^_^

Well you certainly know where to find them now though don't put one near
me with a dish of soya sauce as I'm crazy enough to eat it after our
holiday!

Justin Palmer

18 Mar 2003, 10:19:4518/03/2003
In article <m9gc7vsnph7rm7abf...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
<stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes

>On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:38:06 +0000, Martin Hopley
><martin...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>only Wanza Ariake has a better name for a mecha pilot
>>^^; Unless someone can thing of a better one.
>
>You've never heard of Amanda the Commander?

It rings a bell, but don't ask me why... another Tomino
offspring inflicted upon the solar system? ^_^

Martin Hopley

18 Mar 2003, 10:26:0018/03/2003
Justin Palmer wrote:
> In article <m9gc7vsnph7rm7abf...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
> <stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes
>
>>>only Wanza Ariake has a better name for a mecha pilot
>>>^^; Unless someone can thing of a better one.
>>You've never heard of Amanda the Commander?
> It rings a bell, but don't ask me why... another Tomino
> offspring inflicted upon the solar system? ^_^

It hasn't quite got the same style factor as Wanza though :)

Justin Palmer

18 Mar 2003, 10:31:2018/03/2003
In article <3E772828...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley

<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Justin Palmer wrote:
>> In article <3E76030...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
>> <martin...@ntlworld.com> writes

(snip)
>probably live with that, make sure there's cat girls on it though :D
>> Sorry, you'll have to speak to Dr. Law-Green about that. He
>> bought up the title deeds to every cat-girl in-habited planet in the
>> Galaxy before anyone else saw the boom developing...!
>
>Damn monopoly tycoon! Well, he's not getting the Tokyo Mew Mew Figurines
>I dragged back (Which I'm tempted to put onto Ebay if he doesn't answer
>my e-mails!) unless he lets me on one planet! And you remember how much
>of a pain getting those 5 back were!

Ever tried to pack five screaming cat-girls into a box? ^_^
(sort of a reverse Schrodinger if I think about it!)

(snip)
>> Natto is possibly the greatest medicine in the universe, but
>> humanity will never know because no-one wants to try the stuff!
>
>Oh, the Japanese eat it which is why they can pilot giant robots (in
>anime at least) but no-one else will be able to as the fumes from that
>stuff is like smelling salts!

Speaking as the Earth-based manifestation of the Church of
mecha, I can categorically state that natto is not *ever* on the menu!

(snip)

>>>Thanks, I forgot about that! Where is Harmony Land anyway?
>> <click!> BOOM! Well, whats left of it is over there... and
>> there... and there... ^_^
>
>Oh don't worry, it'll reform in a few days. Just in time for my return
>hopefully!

Good grief, hes worse than the T-1000!

(snip)

> The octopus anyway.
>> I might just put a real one in a cuddly skin just for revenge
>> purposes... ^_^
>
>Well you certainly know where to find them now though don't put one near
>me with a dish of soya sauce as I'm crazy enough to eat it after our
>holiday!

Oh, I would pay money to see this happen... ^_^

Martin Hopley

18 Mar 2003, 11:00:3018/03/2003
Justin Palmer wrote:
> In article <3E772828...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
> <martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>
>>Justin Palmer wrote:
>>
>>>In article <3E76030...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
>>><martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>>>
> (snip)
>
>>probably live with that, make sure there's cat girls on it though :D
>>
>>> Sorry, you'll have to speak to Dr. Law-Green about that. He
>>>bought up the title deeds to every cat-girl in-habited planet in the
>>>Galaxy before anyone else saw the boom developing...!
>>Damn monopoly tycoon! Well, he's not getting the Tokyo Mew Mew Figurines
>>I dragged back (Which I'm tempted to put onto Ebay if he doesn't answer
>>my e-mails!) unless he lets me on one planet! And you remember how much
>>of a pain getting those 5 back were!
> Ever tried to pack five screaming cat-girls into a box? ^_^
> (sort of a reverse Schrodinger if I think about it!)

They never screamed, they had their paws over their mouthes all the
time! And it was the bloody yellow one (anyone know the name of her?)
that ended up being one catgirl too many! (Not that there's ever too
many catgirls!)

> (snip)
>>The octopus anyway.
>>> I might just put a real one in a cuddly skin just for revenge
>>>purposes... ^_^
>>Well you certainly know where to find them now though don't put one near
>>me with a dish of soya sauce as I'm crazy enough to eat it after our
>>holiday!
> Oh, I would pay money to see this happen... ^_^

Well, that thing I told you about sashimi while it's still moving is
very real in Hakodate and probably Niigata and any other major port so I
guess I'm mad enough to give it a try next time.

Justin Palmer

18 Mar 2003, 11:07:0918/03/2003
In article <3E77429E...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley

<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes
>Justin Palmer wrote:
>> In article <3E772828...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
>> <martin...@ntlworld.com> writes

(snip)
> Ever tried to pack five screaming cat-girls into a box? ^_^
>> (sort of a reverse Schrodinger if I think about it!)
>
>They never screamed, they had their paws over their mouthes all the
>time! And it was the bloody yellow one (anyone know the name of her?)
>that ended up being one catgirl too many! (Not that there's ever too
>many catgirls!)

You weren't looking. I had to mace them. ^_^

(snip)

>> Oh, I would pay money to see this happen... ^_^
>
>Well, that thing I told you about sashimi while it's still moving is
>very real in Hakodate and probably Niigata and any other major port so I
>guess I'm mad enough to give it a try next time.

I've heard the stories, too. How do you think I got afraid of
Japanese food in the first place?! ^_^

Peter Boulter

19 Mar 2003, 01:31:0019/03/2003
Martin Hopley(martin...@ntlworld.com) added:

> >>fine! :-)
> >> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.
> > That's it exactly. It's all very well to just say 'scrape the
> > mayonnaise off' but the contamination remains!
>
> Oh god, not another one!

What do you mean, "not another one!" ?? ^_^

> Just think of sweet/tasty things (not catgirls mind) and chew!

If they're sweet and tasty things that's all the more reason /not/ to
ruin them by smearing stuff like mayonnaise on them.

> You're not another one of these people who refuses to
> eat anything they can't pronounce are you?

Of course, if I can't pronounce it how can I order it. ^_^

> Be grateful you're not coming on holiday with me! :-D

Having seen the 'Justin and the crab' pictures I'm very grateful I'm not
going on holiday with you. ^_^

Justin Palmer

19 Mar 2003, 09:57:5919/03/2003
In article <memo.20030319...@dragon.cix.co.uk>, Peter Boulter
<starh...@nospam.cix.co.uk> writes

>Martin Hopley(martin...@ntlworld.com) added:

>> > That's it exactly. It's all very well to just say 'scrape the
>> > mayonnaise off' but the contamination remains!
>>
>> Oh god, not another one!
>
>What do you mean, "not another one!" ?? ^_^

My fussiness over food has become something of a family legend;
I think Martin is a bit shocked that it might not be an evolutionary
singularity...!

(snip)

>> Be grateful you're not coming on holiday with me! :-D
>
>Having seen the 'Justin and the crab' pictures I'm very grateful I'm not
>going on holiday with you. ^_^

He did rather catch my expression well, didn't he? ^_^

Shez

19 Mar 2003, 13:56:0919/03/2003
Once upon a time in the faraway land of uk.media.animation.anime, Martin

Hopley <martin...@ntlworld.com> said:
>Hi all,

>>>fine! :-)
>>> The mayonnaise is still there in spirit form.
>> That's it exactly. It's all very well to just say 'scrape the
>>mayonnaise off' but the contamination remains!
>
>Oh god, not another one! Just think of sweet/tasty things (not catgirls
>mind) and chew! You're not another one of these people who refuses to
>eat anything they can't pronounce are you? Be grateful you're not
>coming on holiday with me! :-D

Aren't you the person who was trying to auction a Chobits "comfort
pillow" at Minami? After all the bishoujo body pillow discussions here,
I'm curious as to what the fate of that was - did someone actually shell
out loads money for it? Was the bidding frantic?

-Shez.

If Jesus came back they'd nail him up again. -- E Nesbit
Anime at the Last Stop Cafe: http://www.xerez.demon.co.uk/anime/
Use http://www.xerez.demon.co.uk/mailform.html for personal replies

Justin Palmer

19 Mar 2003, 14:06:5019/03/2003
In article <QB$HesCJ1...@xerez.nospam.co.uk>, Shez <see.sig@nospam.d
emon.co.uk.invalid> writes

>Once upon a time in the faraway land of uk.media.animation.anime, Martin
>Hopley <martin...@ntlworld.com> said:

(snip)

>Aren't you the person who was trying to auction a Chobits "comfort
>pillow" at Minami? After all the bishoujo body pillow discussions here,
>I'm curious as to what the fate of that was - did someone actually shell
>out loads money for it? Was the bidding frantic?

He decided to keep it. Sorry if thats a bit of a disappointment,
but after watching Martin lug if from Tokyo to Osaka to Hiroshima and
onto Kumamoto, I would imagine anyone would grow rather attached to it.
^_^

Wednesday

19 Mar 2003, 15:07:3119/03/2003
Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Shez <see...@nospam.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes

>>Aren't you the person who was trying to auction a Chobits "comfort
>>pillow" at Minami?

You're thinking of Ayacon -- that was someone else. Martin did, however,
auction off an Ai Yori Aoshi body pillow at Minami which did not have nearly
the rush on it (suppose that was a few months early).

Seems he did *buy* one:

> He decided to keep it. Sorry if thats a bit of a disappointment,
>but after watching Martin lug if from Tokyo to Osaka to Hiroshima and
>onto Kumamoto, I would imagine anyone would grow rather attached to it.
>^_^

*Attached*?!

*ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww*

Peter Boulter

20 Mar 2003, 01:31:0020/03/2003
Justin Palmer(jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk) added:

> >> Be grateful you're not coming on holiday with me! :-D
> >
> >Having seen the 'Justin and the crab' pictures I'm very grateful I'm
> >not going on holiday with you. ^_^
> >
> He did rather catch my expression well, didn't he? ^_^

Yes, he did. A sort of I-can't-believe-I'm-eating-this look I thought.
And on a vaguely related note, I quite liked those chairs.

Justin Palmer

20 Mar 2003, 10:58:4020/03/2003
In article <memo.20030320...@dragon.cix.co.uk>, Peter Boulter
<starh...@nospam.cix.co.uk> writes
>Justin Palmer(jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk) added:

(snip)

> He did rather catch my expression well, didn't he? ^_^
>
>Yes, he did. A sort of I-can't-believe-I'm-eating-this look I thought.

Theres a reason for that. ^_^

>And on a vaguely related note, I quite liked those chairs.

Chairs?! Well, yes, though giving that we were sitting on the
floor I think "back recliner" is a bit more accurate...!
Incidentally, I wish to apologize for looking like a complete
huck in the first picture. ^_^

Martin Hopley

20 Mar 2003, 12:35:5120/03/2003
Wednesday wrote:
> Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Shez <see...@nospam.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes
>>>Aren't you the person who was trying to auction a Chobits "comfort
>>>pillow" at Minami?

No, as stated by others, that one was sold last November for a silly
amount of money. I auctioned off a different comfort pillow for a
respectable price :-) More importantly, I got my money back so I'm
happy! ^^;

> Seems he did *buy* one:

I can justify it as I save more than 300 pounds by doing so :)

>> He decided to keep it. Sorry if thats a bit of a disappointment,
>>but after watching Martin lug if from Tokyo to Osaka to Hiroshima and
>>onto Kumamoto, I would imagine anyone would grow rather attached to it.
>>^_^
>
> *Attached*?!
> *ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww*

I like my chobits comfort pillow a lot but I'm not that disturbed! And I
hate to Wednesday for putting horrible images in my head! :P

Oh, I don't know if he's on here but was they guy who bought my chobits
towel the same guy who bought the chobits pillow in November.

Thanks to everyone who bought my stuff, by the way, I very nearly broke
even so I'll do it again next time only not on such a big scale.

Martin Hopley

20 Mar 2003, 12:43:5420/03/2003
Justin Palmer wrote:
> In article <QB$HesCJ1...@xerez.nospam.co.uk>, Shez <see.sig@nospam.d
> emon.co.uk.invalid> writes
>>Once upon a time in the faraway land of uk.media.animation.anime, Martin
>>Hopley <martin...@ntlworld.com> said:
> (snip)
>
>>Aren't you the person who was trying to auction a Chobits "comfort
>>pillow" at Minami? After all the bishoujo body pillow discussions here,
>>I'm curious as to what the fate of that was - did someone actually shell
>>out loads money for it? Was the bidding frantic?
> He decided to keep it. Sorry if thats a bit of a disappointment,
> but after watching Martin lug if from Tokyo to Osaka to Hiroshima and
> onto Kumamoto, I would imagine anyone would grow rather attached to it.
> ^_^

I had no intention of selling it for said reason and my previous comfort
pillow was far too small for anyone not of asian height, so I needed it
(though I used that phrase very loosely!)

Mata ne,

Justin Palmer

20 Mar 2003, 13:29:0220/03/2003
In article <3E79FBF7...@ntlworld.com>, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> writes

>Wednesday wrote:
>> Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Shez <see...@nospam.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes

(snip)

> *Attached*?!
>> *ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww*
>
>I like my chobits comfort pillow a lot but I'm not that disturbed!

Certain people <whistles innocently> might feel that is
debatable. ^_^

> And I
>hate to Wednesday for putting horrible images in my head! :P

(snip)

>Thanks to everyone who bought my stuff, by the way, I very nearly broke
>even so I'll do it again next time only not on such a big scale.

Only five boxes next time? ^_^

Peter Boulter

21 Mar 2003, 01:33:0021/03/2003
Justin Palmer(jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk) added:

> > He did rather catch my expression well, didn't he? ^_^
> >
> >Yes, he did. A sort of I-can't-believe-I'm-eating-this look I thought.
>
> Theres a reason for that. ^_^

But I don't think we want to know what it was! ^_^

> >And on a vaguely related note, I quite liked those chairs.
>
> Chairs?! Well, yes, though giving that we were sitting on the
> floor I think "back recliner" is a bit more accurate...!

That's the term for them!

> Incidentally, I wish to apologize for looking like a complete
> huck in the first picture. ^_^

Mappy

21 Mar 2003, 05:36:3121/03/2003
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:31 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
starh...@nospam.cix.co.uk (Peter Boulter) wrote:

>Martin Hopley(martin...@ntlworld.com) added:

>> > That's it exactly. It's all very well to just say 'scrape the
>> > mayonnaise off' but the contamination remains!
>> Oh god, not another one!
>What do you mean, "not another one!" ?? ^_^

Well, you can always ask for a burger without mayonaise :-)

>> Just think of sweet/tasty things (not catgirls mind) and chew!
>If they're sweet and tasty things that's all the more reason /not/ to
>ruin them by smearing stuff like mayonnaise on them.

I ad mit that when there's strong contamination then yes, mayonaise
tastes foul but reduce the contamination enough then it tastes
acceptable.

But the thing with Justin is that he previously wouldn't have eaten a
teriyaki burger even on it's own simply because he didn't know what it
was!

>> You're not another one of these people who refuses to
>> eat anything they can't pronounce are you?
>Of course, if I can't pronounce it how can I order it. ^_^

Well, I'll assume you're English like me so do as the other English do
and simply point and smile :-) There's an obvious danger of ordering
something rather sinister but hey, you're thousands of miles from
home, try something new! :-)

>> Be grateful you're not coming on holiday with me! :-D
>Having seen the 'Justin and the crab' pictures I'm very grateful I'm not
>going on holiday with you. ^_^

I can't take full credit for that moment in time, full credit has to
go to Yamada san for being so pursuasive :D

Mata ne,

Mappy

Happosai

21 Mar 2003, 05:45:2221/03/2003
Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3StqkCAw...@briareos.demon.co.uk>...

<snip>

> Incidentally, I wish to apologize for looking like a complete
> huck in the first picture. ^_^

Well, I don't know what one of those is, but I will forever associate being one
with that image (although I'm not sure what a partial huck would look like)...

[Happosai]
--
|\ | \ / /V\ Bringing together fans of Japanese
| \| a n i m e \/\/ =(@;@)= animation, graphic art and pop
~(,,) culture in the North-West of England
<http://www.NanimeW.Org.UK/> -=*=- <mailto:Info[at]NanimeW.Org.UK>

Justin Palmer

21 Mar 2003, 09:39:3221/03/2003
In article <28a9b26c.03032...@posting.google.com>, Happosai
<happosai.no...@nanimew.org.uk> writes
>Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3StqkCAwUee+E

>w...@briareos.demon.co.uk>...
>
><snip>
>
>> Incidentally, I wish to apologize for looking like a complete
>> huck in the first picture. ^_^
>
>Well, I don't know what one of those is, but I will forever associate being one
>with that image (although I'm not sure what a partial huck would look like)...

Complete huck: that guy off the Simpsons, whenever they want to
take a pot-shot at the Deep South. Its possible I did in fact mean
"Hick"... ^_^

Stuart Dawson

21 Mar 2003, 15:05:4221/03/2003
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:35:51 +0000, Martin Hopley
<martin...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I like my chobits comfort pillow a lot but I'm not that disturbed!

Perhaps not disturbed but you'll note there isn't exactly a massive
queue of people who aren't sad as hell forming up to buy them...

>Oh, I don't know if he's on here but was they guy who bought my chobits
>towel the same guy who bought the chobits pillow in November.

His name is Colin Beaumont.

May it go down in history with those other sad gits who have more
money than sense.

Mappy

22 Mar 2003, 07:52:0022/03/2003
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:05:42 +0000, Stuart Dawson
<stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:35:51 +0000, Martin Hopley
><martin...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I like my chobits comfort pillow a lot but I'm not that disturbed!
>Perhaps not disturbed but you'll note there isn't exactly a massive
>queue of people who aren't sad as hell forming up to buy them...

Taking your words literally, there wasn't any queues in Animate and
the rolled-up, vacuum packed dakimakuras are too big to have more than
one out at a time. But I'm also assuming you've not grown up with a
comfort pillow.

>>Oh, I don't know if he's on here but was they guy who bought my chobits
>>towel the same guy who bought the chobits pillow in November.
>
>His name is Colin Beaumont.
>
>May it go down in history with those other sad gits who have more
>money than sense.

I wish I had that much money to blow :-/

Mata ne,

Mappy

Justin Palmer

22 Mar 2003, 09:49:4022/03/2003
In article <3trm7vgrhhtcs5sd0...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
<stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes

>On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:35:51 +0000, Martin Hopley
><martin...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I like my chobits comfort pillow a lot but I'm not that disturbed!
>
>Perhaps not disturbed but you'll note there isn't exactly a massive
>queue of people who aren't sad as hell forming up to buy them...

Can I just say in Martins defence that he is no worse in this
regard, or better, than several other anime fans I know (or, thinking
about it, fans of other pursuits I have known). And at least he didn't
pay £400 for it. ^_^
Hell, I have a mecha with breast rockets, and another with a
groinal attachment for a gun thats taller than the robot...

(snip)

Stuart Dawson

23 Mar 2003, 04:26:1223/03/2003
On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:31:20 +0000, Justin Palmer
<jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Natto is possibly the greatest medicine in the universe, but
>>> humanity will never know because no-one wants to try the stuff!
>>
>>Oh, the Japanese eat it which is why they can pilot giant robots (in
>>anime at least) but no-one else will be able to as the fumes from that
>>stuff is like smelling salts!
>
> Speaking as the Earth-based manifestation of the Church of mecha,
> I can categorically state that natto is not *ever* on the menu!

I fear Brother that I'm going to have to refer you to Mac Plus OAV 2
here, where His Reverence Isamu Dyson is quite clearly seen selecting
some Natto in the UN Spacey base restaurant.

Stuart Dawson

23 Mar 2003, 04:28:1923/03/2003
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:31 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
starh...@nospam.cix.co.uk (Peter Boulter) wrote:

>> You're not another one of these people who refuses to
>> eat anything they can't pronounce are you?
>
>Of course, if I can't pronounce it how can I order it. ^_^

Option 1 "I'll have a number 56 with a number 12 please"
Option 2 "<point finger at random thing on menu and see if the waiter
looks surprised or not>"

Either works surprisingly well I think you'll find. ^_^

Justin Palmer

23 Mar 2003, 16:54:5823/03/2003
In article <98vq7vk5sir0o96qn...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
<stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes

>On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:31:20 +0000, Justin Palmer
><jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

(snip)

> Speaking as the Earth-based manifestation of the Church of mecha,
>> I can categorically state that natto is not *ever* on the menu!
>
>I fear Brother that I'm going to have to refer you to Mac Plus OAV 2
>here, where His Reverence Isamu Dyson is quite clearly seen selecting
>some Natto in the UN Spacey base restaurant.

I was referring to the CoM canteen, which only serves proper
mecha pilot food like carrots and pineapple salad.
Besides which, that was Isamu Dyson, who makes even kamikaze
pilots think "wow, isn't that a bit dangerous?!"

Nick Roberts

24 Mar 2003, 13:02:0724/03/2003
In message <aO8hz2Ay...@briareos.demon.co.uk>
Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <98vq7vk5sir0o96qn...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
> <stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes
> >On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:31:20 +0000, Justin Palmer
> ><jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> (snip)
> > Speaking as the Earth-based manifestation of the Church of mecha,
> >> I can categorically state that natto is not *ever* on the menu!
> >
> >I fear Brother that I'm going to have to refer you to Mac Plus OAV 2
> >here, where His Reverence Isamu Dyson is quite clearly seen selecting
> >some Natto in the UN Spacey base restaurant.
> >
> I was referring to the CoM canteen, which only serves proper
> mecha pilot food like carrots and pineapple salad.

So explodes another preconception. As you lot keep going on about hard
you are, I'd always assumed that your pilots just ate raw meat. Except
for snacks between meals, of course, which would involve biting the
heads off live rattlesnakes.

C'mon, guys - "Real mech pilots don't eat vegatables". [1]

[1] I originally had "Real mech pilots don't eat veggies", and then
came to the conclusion that eating vegetarians was perfectly OK, so
long as they were washed down with a pint or so of lighter fluid.

--
Nick Roberts
tigger @ argonet.co.uk http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/tigger/

Stuart Dawson

24 Mar 2003, 16:08:4724/03/2003
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:54:58 +0000, Justin Palmer
<jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>I fear Brother that I'm going to have to refer you to Mac Plus OAV 2
>>here, where His Reverence Isamu Dyson is quite clearly seen selecting
>>some Natto in the UN Spacey base restaurant.
>
>I was referring to the CoM canteen, which only serves proper
>mecha pilot food like carrots and pineapple salad.

Ever wondered why I eat out a lot?

>Besides which, that was Isamu Dyson, who makes even kamikaze
>pilots think "wow, isn't that a bit dangerous?!"

I'd rather go to a bar with him than with someone like Camille though.
Less whiney and a lot more entertaining.

--
Stuart Dawson - 330 art books now reviewed
http://www.jingoro.demon.co.uk/frame.htm

Stuart Dawson

24 Mar 2003, 16:10:4624/03/2003
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:02:07 GMT, Nick Roberts <tig...@argonet.co.uk>
wrote:

>So explodes another preconception. As you lot keep going on about hard
>you are, I'd always assumed that your pilots just ate raw meat.

Are you kidding? Have you any idea how nasty a does of food poisoning
can be in a cock pit, in zero G? >_<

--
Stuart Dawson - 330 art books now reviewed
http://www.jingoro.demon.co.uk/frame.htm

Justin Palmer

24 Mar 2003, 16:09:1124/03/2003
In article <589651d8...@bc63.argonet.co.uk>, Nick Roberts
<tig...@argonet.co.uk> writes

>In message <aO8hz2Ay...@briareos.demon.co.uk>
> Justin Palmer <jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <98vq7vk5sir0o96qn...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
>> <stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes
>> >On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:31:20 +0000, Justin Palmer
>> ><jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >>
>> (snip)
>> > Speaking as the Earth-based manifestation of the Church of mecha,
>> >
>> >I fear Brother that I'm going to have to refer you to Mac Plus OAV 2
>> >here, where His Reverence Isamu Dyson is quite clearly seen selecting
>> >some Natto in the UN Spacey base restaurant.
>> >
>> I was referring to the CoM canteen, which only serves proper
>> mecha pilot food like carrots and pineapple salad.
>
>So explodes another preconception. As you lot keep going on about hard
>you are, I'd always assumed that your pilots just ate raw meat.

(snip)

I think I might have pointed this out before: *mecha* pilots?
*Hard*?
I think, sir, you must be thinking of some other group...

Justin Palmer

24 Mar 2003, 16:33:3524/03/2003
In article <rosu7vc4e8hg573ap...@4ax.com>, Stuart Dawson
<stu...@jingoro.demon.co.uk> writes

>On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 21:54:58 +0000, Justin Palmer
><jus...@briareos.demon.co.uk> wrote:

(snip)

>I was referring to the CoM canteen, which only serves proper
>>mecha pilot food like carrots and pineapple salad.
>
>Ever wondered why I eat out a lot?

I've just had this wonderful picture forming in my mind of Pilot
First Class Dawson being pursued down the street by a bevy of bridge
bunnies, all yelling "Dawson-sempai, why won't you eat our food we made
for you? You're so meeeeeeeeeeeeeannnnn!" ^_^

>>Besides which, that was Isamu Dyson, who makes even kamikaze
>>pilots think "wow, isn't that a bit dangerous?!"
>
>I'd rather go to a bar with him than with someone like Camille though.
>Less whiney and a lot more entertaining.

Well, until it comes to deciding who has to pay for the
drinks... ^_^