Classic Films (was HMHB/pubz)

Roz Cawley

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

I agree, Drew - Casablanca - of course, and also.....

The African Queen

Brief Encounter

Ben Hur (think I've seen it 18 times now.....)

Spartacus

Doctor Zhivago

Lawrence of Arabia

David Lean's Oliver Twist (1938??)

Wonderful Life (James Stewart)

The Birds (Hitchcock)

Death in Venice

Dances with Wolves

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The Elephant Man

Porridge..........:-))

Which reminds me.......Millennial funny men.....

Ronnie Barker - Tommy Cooper - Doddie - and top of the tree,
irreplaceable - Morecombe and Wise

(Obs Yorks - oh, there *must* be a Yorkshireman (or woman) in there
somewhere!!!)

Roz Cawley
r...@delamici.demon.co.uk
http://www.delamici.demon.co.uk

"never try to teach a pig to sing....it wastes your time, and it annoys the
pig."

Flash

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <hcvKzdA1...@delamici.demon.co.uk>, Roz Cawley

<r...@delamici.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Ronnie Barker - Tommy Cooper - Doddie - and top of the tree,
> irreplaceable - Morecombe and Wise
> (Obs Yorks - oh, there *must* be a Yorkshireman (or woman) in there
> somewhere!!!)

Morecambe and Wise were originally going to be called Morecambe and
Leeds which leads me to believe that Ernie Wise was maybe born here.
There's a book of M&W sketches by Eddie Braben in Borders in Leeds
that's got some absolute belters in and is a bargain at only a fiver.
And because the voices are so familiar it's just like playing the video
in your head.

Flash

"There's a man with a funny face outside" "Tell him we've got one"

Steve Loft

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <Jr9OOHP0zPYdTo...@4ax.com>, The Big Man wrote:

> Cheers - mine's nice out

Put it away again - someone's coming.

--
Steve Loft, Methley, GOC.
'58 M Y* L+++ U- KQ C+ c++ B+ P99M p++ S(Rangers) R(LS26) Prat01

Tez Burke

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Roz Cawley <r...@delamici.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Lawrence of Arabia

> (Obs Yorks - oh, there *must* be a Yorkshireman (or woman) in there
> somewhere!!!)

There sure is, Roz - Peter O'Toole. From somewhere t'other side of Leeds
(might even be the Great Yorkshire Beer Desert, in which case it was
valuable experience for him to fight Bey Officer José Ferrer and his
highly trained team of top comedy 'tached janissaries).

Tez.

DAN

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <hcvKzdA1...@delamici.demon.co.uk>, Roz Cawley
<r...@delamici.demon.co.uk> writes

>Wonderful Life (James Stewart)

I was so disapointed the year before last that it was not on any of the
myriad channels of c**p on cable TV over Christmas, my lovely boys
(spouse and sons) bought me my very own copy. I never need to go
through the Christmas period without my fix of sentimentality again.
None of the said boys will actually sit through the whole film with me
they seem to have an unwritten rota. Each stays a while until relieved
by the next. They seem to think I need a companion at all times while
watching this. My ballet tapes do not nessecitate(1) this companionship.
--
DAN
(1) I must get a spell checker as that is not right but none of the other

Dr Drew

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <hcvKzdA1...@delamici.demon.co.uk>, Roz Cawley <r...@delamici.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Wonderful Life (James Stewart)

How could I have forgotten that one? Sentimental bollocks, yes - but
_brilliant_ sentimental bollocks....

"Clarence Oddbody, Angel, 2nd class."

--
Worrying Things Said By Drunk People no. 124: "Mike - do you remember
where we left the lorry?" (overheard in Chemic, 2/12/99)

Colin Blackburn

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:22:16 +0000 in article
<$fjKhDAI...@maximan.demon.co.uk>, DAN wrote:

> My ballet tapes do not nessecitate(1) this companionship

[...]

> (1) I must get a spell checker as that is not right but
> none of the other variants looked right either.

For necessary I was taught,

Never Eat Cake, Eat Salmon Sandwiches And Remain Young

It gets the esses and sees right for its derivations too.

Colin
--
uly: '61 M Y* L- U- B(-) KQ+ C c P98F p>+ ?Sh R(OX2) N(HD3) Prat3
i like my anarquismo sin adjetives

hannah d

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Colin Blackburn <phys...@ermine.ox.ac.uk> said:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:22:16 +0000 in article
> <$fjKhDAI...@maximan.demon.co.uk>, DAN wrote:
>
> > My ballet tapes do not nessecitate(1) this companionship
> [...]
> > (1) I must get a spell checker as that is not right but
> > none of the other variants looked right either.
>
> For necessary I was taught,
>
> Never Eat Cake, Eat Salmon Sandwiches And Remain Young
>
> It gets the esses and sees right for its derivations too.

I was taught "one Collar, two Socks" (one c, two esses)

which works well too:-)

..h

--
Deeha Spca - interplanetary agent of the dark side
ULYGK: '73 F Y--- L+ U++++ KQ+ C* c+ B++ P98S p+ Sh R(LS8)

James Dawson

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
hannah d <han...@scs.leeds.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Colin Blackburn <phys...@ermine.ox.ac.uk> said:
>
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:22:16 +0000 in article
> > <$fjKhDAI...@maximan.demon.co.uk>, DAN wrote:
> >
> > > My ballet tapes do not nessecitate(1) this companionship
> > [...]
> > > (1) I must get a spell checker as that is not right but
> > > none of the other variants looked right either.
> >
> > For necessary I was taught,
> >
> > Never Eat Cake, Eat Salmon Sandwiches And Remain Young
> >
> > It gets the esses and sees right for its derivations too.
> >

> I was taught "one Collar, two Socks" (one c, two esses)
>
> which works well too:-)

I was taught "n-e-c-e-s-s-a-r-y". But then I did have a boring teacher
:-(

--
James Dawson
"Hey, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something

nick odell

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:22:24 +0000 (GMT), han...@scs.leeds.ac.uk
(hannah d) wrote:

>I was taught "one Collar, two Socks" (one c, two esses)
>
>which works well too:-)

I was taught "shirt"

(One collar, two sleeves)

Which is more or less the same.

Except I'd muddle it up and think two cuffs....

Nick

--
minder to the fairies

Smylers

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
Mum <han...@scs.leeds.ac.uk> uttered something along the lines of:

> I was taught "one Collar, two Socks" (one c, two esses)
>
> which works well too:-)

So long as you remember which word to apply it to -- I could always
remember the expression, but kept forgetting which word it was for and
ending up with things like "sucess".

Smylers

Marcus Houlden

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:00:55 +0000 (GMT), Smylers
(csx...@scs.leeds.ac.uk) wrote in message
<1999Dec9.1...@leeds.ac.uk> to uk.local.yorkshire:

I just remember it by thinking how many sounds there are.
Success = suc + cess
Necessary = nec + es + sary
--
Marcus Houlden
ICQ: 29654055 http://www.houlden.f9.co.uk

Fenny

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
In article <384fe2ed...@news.cwcom.net>,
gurzhfvp...@cwcom.net.invalid says...

> I was taught "shirt"
>
> (One collar, two sleeves)

But shirt isn't how you spell necessary. Bit silly, innit, teaching you
to spell shirt when you need to spell necessary?

Fenny
--
'65 F Y+++ L+ U- KQ+ C c+ B-- p+ Sh+