Fined for having snow on your car

Alasdair

Dec 2, 2010, 7:40:44 AM12/2/10
According to Adam Blair of Drive Protect, some police forces are
issuing fixed penalty notices to motorists with snow on the roof of
their cars:

"We've had reports from Members that Police in parts of the country
are issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for having snow on your roof.

I've done a search and cannot find it reported on any major news
source, but there are a number of forums discussing it.

The thinking is that it is dangerous if the snow falls off and
obscures the visibility for the car behind.

In my opinion this thinking is completely flawed because

a) it's unrealistic in this snowstorm to completely clear your car of
snow before driving off

b) people are driving around at 10mph on roads that are covered in
snow -- excess snow on cars is hardly about to fly off uncontrollably
at that speed

c) the vision of other cars is ALREADY obscured and - in the most case
- peoples driving is accounting for the poor visibility."

Comments would be appreciated and what law is the driver of the snow
covered car breaking?

Alasdair.

Adrian

Dec 2, 2010, 7:49:06 AM12/2/10
On 02/12/2010 12:40, Alasdair wrote:
> I've done a search and cannot find it reported on any major news
> source, but there are a number of forums discussing it.

And several forces have denied having explicit policies to target
drivers for it.

> In my opinion this thinking is completely flawed because
>
> a) it's unrealistic in this snowstorm to completely clear your car of
> snow before driving off

It's not snow that's fallen whilst the vehicle is in use that's being
discussed, but drivers failing to clear build-ups of snow from the roof,
windows, lights before they set out.

> b) people are driving around at 10mph on roads that are covered in
> snow -- excess snow on cars is hardly about to fly off uncontrollably
> at that speed

People are also driving around at relatively normal speed on roads which
have been cleared with cars heavily covered in snow. Not for very long,
though.

> c) the vision of other cars is ALREADY obscured and - in the most case
> - peoples driving is accounting for the poor visibility."

I'm not quite sure I understand your logic. Are you really suggesting
that it's perfectly OK to drive off with only a porthole in your
windscreen cleared because everybody else is doing so, too, so long as
you then only pootle along at 20mph, straining to peer through it?

> Comments would be appreciated and what law is the driver of the snow
> covered car breaking?

The RTA, obviously. The most likely specific licence endorsement codes
are CD20 (Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users)
and CU50 (Causing or likely to cause danger by reason of load or passengers)

Steve O

Dec 2, 2010, 7:51:58 AM12/2/10

"Alasdair" wrote in message

Alasdair.

My guess is that they are going for using a vehicle in a dangerous
condition.
The only circumstances where I would condone the issue of an FPN in relation
to snow on a vehicle would be under circumstances I saw recently- some idiot
driving at around 50mph with a tiny little letterbox scraped out of his
windscreen which was about 8 inches deep with snow.
His view of the road will have been severely impaired, and considering it
wouldn't have taken much effort to clear the rest of the snow he would have
deserved it.

the-sbray

Dec 2, 2010, 7:54:54 AM12/2/10

Highway code rule 229 states:

Driving in adverse
weather conditions

Before you set off
• you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice
from your windows
• you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number
plates are clearly visible and legible
• make sure the mirrors are clear and windows are demisted
thoroughly
• remove all snow that might fall into the path of other
road users
• check your planned route is clear of delays and that no
further snowfall or severe weather are predicted.

(Laws CUR reg 35, RVLR reg 26 & VERA sect 43 & RV(DRM) reg 11)

Personally I think it's common sense to remove snow from your roof.
What would happen if you had to brake hard and you have 5" of loose
snow on your roof? You get a snow-covered windscreen which your wipers
can't removed.

Indeed it too me all of 3 mins with a very soft household brush the
other day to remove the snow from the car roof. OK I couldn't remove
the ice that had formed on the bottom, but this wouldn't have any
issues when driving.

freepo

Dec 2, 2010, 8:19:06 AM12/2/10
On Dec 2, 12:40 pm, Alasdair

If a car with snow on it's roof drives onto a snowless road the driver
will speed up like all other drivers and they usually find it amusing
to watch the snow from the roof fall on to the road behind them. But
this could cause an accident for someone behind, with a great chunks
of snow suddenly landing infront of their car.

If you have lots of snow on the roof the sensible thing to do is
remove it with a brush before setting off, of course this may spoil
your fun.

Ophelia

Dec 2, 2010, 8:31:43 AM12/2/10

"freepo" <free...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Up here (Scotland) you can be (and drivers are being) fined £60 for not
clearing your roof before you drive.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Mentalguy2k8

Dec 2, 2010, 8:33:25 AM12/2/10

"freepo" <free...@gmail.com> wrote in message

... and your paint job!

I don't agree that the person behind will be put in danger if a bit of snow
falls off my roof in front of them, into the big piles of snow that are
already on the road. If they're driving too fast or too close - given the
road conditions - then screw them.

Pete Zahut

Dec 2, 2010, 9:17:49 AM12/2/10

Dunno, but I had to use my B&Q discount card to scrape away the ice from my
windscreen this morning. Wasn't much good though - only got 10% off :-)

AlanG

Dec 2, 2010, 9:51:50 AM12/2/10
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:40:44 +0000, Alasdair <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk>
wrote:

Police are cunts?

Yellow

Dec 2, 2010, 10:23:24 AM12/2/10
In article <GeNJo.161704$gN7....@newsfe12.ams2>, Mentalguy2k8
@gmail.com says...

I was behind some twat yesterday who had not cleaned their roof and they
were randomly throwing large chunks of snow, as well as spray, at the
other cars sharing the road. Everyone was travelling at around 30, on a
road with a 70 speed limit.

At best it was a nuisance, at worst it was dangerous, but most of all it
was simply unnecessary.

Mike Ross

Dec 2, 2010, 11:09:37 AM12/2/10
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:40:44 +0000, Alasdair <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote:

I'll give you one comment; in these nasty conditions, it's more dangerous to
have a car pulled over at the side of the road to issue a FPN that it is to have
the car driving with some snow on the roof!

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.

Alasdair

Dec 2, 2010, 11:44:47 AM12/2/10
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:09:37 -0500, Mike Ross <mi...@corestore.org>
wrote:

>I'll give you one comment; in these nasty conditions, it's more dangerous to
>have a car pulled over at the side of the road to issue a FPN that it is to have
>the car driving with some snow on the roof!
>
>Mike

But the police and other law enforcement officials are not always
logical in their approach.

Cynic

Dec 2, 2010, 12:03:47 PM12/2/10
wrote:

>Comments would be appreciated and what law is the driver of the snow
>covered car breaking?

Well, here's my experience just this morning:

The roads were pretty much cleared, and I was able to drive safely at
60MPH along the left lane of the dual carriageway. Then a car
overtook me in the right-hand lane that must have had a foot of snow
on its roof. As it passed I was immediately enveloped in a blizzard,
and visibility was suddenly reduced to near-zero. Fortunately it did
not last more than a few seconds as I slowed down to get behind the
shedding snow, and the road was straight and clear of other traffic at
that point, so it was a non-event. The next car the prat passed might
not however have been so lucky. I suspect the driver was completely
oblivious to the hazard he was creating.

So my comment is that it is perfectly OK IMO for the police to give
such drivers a FPN. I wouldn't know the exact law being used, but I
suspect it would be the same one used for a lorry with an unsecured
load that is dropping stuff all over the road.

It took me about 20 seconds to sweep most of the the snow off my roof
and bonnet before leaving this morning, so there is really no excuse.

--
Cynic

Ophelia

Dec 2, 2010, 12:08:11 PM12/2/10

"Alasdair" <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote in message

Drivers around here have been fined £60 for not clearing their roof before
driving (Central Scotland)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

AlanG

Dec 2, 2010, 12:20:13 PM12/2/10
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:23:24 -0000, Yellow <ye...@please.no.spam.com>
wrote:

My car was throwing chunks off on tuesday. I had brushed all loose
snow off but there was about 3 inches that had iced up. Started to
come loose after I had been driving for half an hour and fell off the
roof in chunks the size of a dinner plate. Other cars were having the
same experience but it was no danger to anyone.

Of far more danger is the snow falls off roofs. Some of these are so
heavy they are ripping guttering away. If a child or elderly person
was underneath at the time they would be killed or at the least
seriously injured

Ophelia

Dec 2, 2010, 12:54:06 PM12/2/10

"AlanG" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Of far more danger is the snow falls off roofs. Some of these are so
> heavy they are ripping guttering away. If a child or elderly person
> was underneath at the time they would be killed or at the least
> seriously injured

Rather more difficult if not impossible to brush the snow from a high roof.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Cynic

Dec 2, 2010, 1:20:16 PM12/2/10
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:33:25 -0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
<Mental...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't agree that the person behind will be put in danger if a bit of snow
>falls off my roof in front of them, into the big piles of snow that are
>already on the road. If they're driving too fast or too close - given the
>road conditions - then screw them.

Read my post. You have obviously never driven behind a car at 60MPH+
with a large amount of snow on its roof. Nor had I until this
morning.

--
Cynic

Peter Crosland

Dec 2, 2010, 1:22:33 PM12/2/10
"Alasdair" <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote in message

It takes less than five minutes to clear all the snow with a soft brush.

Take your pick with the offences. Car in a dangerous condition and driving
without due care and attention for a start.

Peter Crosland

pete

Dec 2, 2010, 1:43:31 PM12/2/10

One significant problem is if you stop or slow down quickly (if that's
even possible on an icy road). When all the snow slides forward over
your windscreen and you can't see anything. The lack of vision may only
last a couple of seconds until you get round to turning on the wipers.
But if you were slowing rapidly there must have been a reason, so to
lose visibillity during that time is extra hazardous.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/022010121022356027.php

JMS

Dec 2, 2010, 1:59:02 PM12/2/10
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:31:43 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

Do you perhaps have a reference to newspaper reports of the court
cases of same?

JMS

Dec 2, 2010, 2:08:46 PM12/2/10
wrote:

>According to Adam Blair of Drive Protect, some police forces are

>issuing fixed penalty notices to motorists with snow on the roof of
>their cars:
>
>"We've had reports from Members that Police in parts of the country
>are issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for having snow on your roof.

As far as I can see this is a seasonal Urban Myth.

I have had two texts and two emails from friends - all of the pass it
on type.

I can find no reference to other than "rumours" anywhere on the web -
can anyone else?

(That does not mean I think clearing snow off the roof is not common
sense.)

However, I do not believe that any police force is issuing FPNs just
for having snow on the roof.

If there was snow and it came off and caused an accident - then that
would be different.

Mike P

Dec 2, 2010, 2:11:35 PM12/2/10
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:08:46 +0000, JMS boggled us with:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:40:44 +0000, Alasdair <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>According to Adam Blair of Drive Protect, some police forces are issuing
>>fixed penalty notices to motorists with snow on the roof of their cars:
>>
>>"We've had reports from Members that Police in parts of the country are
>>issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for having snow on your roof.
>

> As far as I can see this is a seasonal Urban Myth.
>
> I have had two texts and two emails from friends - all of the pass it on
> type.
>
> I can find no reference to other than "rumours" anywhere on the web -
> can anyone else?
>
> (That does not mean I think clearing snow off the roof is not common
> sense.)

Having ridden a motorbike through many winters, it's downright fucking
rude not to clear snow off your roof. It takes all of a minute on most
vehicles.

--
Mike P

AlanG

Dec 2, 2010, 2:23:27 PM12/2/10
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:54:06 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

>"AlanG" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Of far more danger is the snow falls off roofs. Some of these are so
>> heavy they are ripping guttering away. If a child or elderly person
>> was underneath at the time they would be killed or at the least
>> seriously injured
>
>Rather more difficult if not impossible to brush the snow from a high roof.

Indeed
We have just had a fall from the roof into our back yard. Blocked the
back door with a four foot pile of snow and made the missus jump when
it hit.

AlanG

Dec 2, 2010, 2:27:20 PM12/2/10

I have never known that happen in over 40 years.

Twatting truckers overtaking in wet weather are far more dangerous

Yellow

Dec 2, 2010, 2:31:46 PM12/2/10
In article <60lff691ovqkapl26...@4ax.com>,
inv...@invalid.com says...

And being shot at by someone with a gun, more dangerous still, but no
more relevant to the discussion as you meet few roofs (or gunmen) when
driving down a duel carriageway.

Ophelia

Dec 2, 2010, 3:54:33 PM12/2/10

"AlanG" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message

I'll bet!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Dec 2, 2010, 3:53:22 PM12/2/10

"JMS" <jmsmi...@live.co.uk > wrote in message

No, just complaints from drivers caught out and warnings from 'the law'
about it. So far as I know, this has only been happening in this latest cold
snap.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Dec 2, 2010, 3:54:05 PM12/2/10

"Mike P" <mikewp...@NNOSSPAMASMAPGmail.com> wrote in message

Agreed!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ian

Dec 2, 2010, 4:55:18 PM12/2/10

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in message
I bet the drivers of double deck buses aren't amused....!

Colditz

Dec 2, 2010, 5:35:28 PM12/2/10
"Alasdair" <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote in message

> According to Adam Blair of Drive Protect, some police forces are
> issuing fixed penalty notices to motorists with snow on the roof of
> their cars:

They are filth boys. They became filth boys to intimidate and bully people.
That's all the explanation you need.

Alex Heney

Dec 2, 2010, 5:48:57 PM12/2/10
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:08:46 +0000, JMS <jmsmi...@live.co.uk >
wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:40:44 +0000, Alasdair <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>According to Adam Blair of Drive Protect, some police forces are
>>issuing fixed penalty notices to motorists with snow on the roof of
>>their cars:
>>
>>"We've had reports from Members that Police in parts of the country
>>are issuing Fixed Penalty Notices for having snow on your roof.
>

>As far as I can see this is a seasonal Urban Myth.

Indeed.

this is what Humberside police had to say on the matter yesterday

http://www.humberside.police.uk/newsmedia/issued-1400hrs-01-december-bogus-text-message

And a Scottish news article on the subject.

http://local.stv.tv/airdrie/news/1620-police-advise-drivers-to-remove-snow-from-roof-and-bonnet/
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?

AndyW

Dec 3, 2010, 2:48:10 AM12/3/10

> As far as I can see this is a seasonal Urban Myth.
>
> I have had two texts and two emails from friends - all of the pass it
> on type.
>
> I can find no reference to other than "rumours" anywhere on the web -
> can anyone else?
>
> (That does not mean I think clearing snow off the roof is not common
> sense.)
>
> However, I do not believe that any police force is issuing FPNs just
> for having snow on the roof.
>
> If there was snow and it came off and caused an accident - then that
> would be different.

I see near misses quite often and not because of snow falling off behind.
What I see is people clearing glass and getting in and driving. When the car
warms up and they slow down the entire roof slides forward and totally
blinds them. Best case: they have come to a stop and have to get out and
clear the windscreen again holding up the traffic. Worst case: they are just
slowing down but still moving and suddenly have no front vision.

Police in my area stop people and tell them to clear their roofs. They have
had to press an FPN for refusing to comply. I'll try to dig out the
reference as it was in the local paper but their online archives are not
extensive.

Andy

AndyW

Dec 3, 2010, 2:51:31 AM12/3/10
"Alasdair" <ma...@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote in message
> The thinking is that it is dangerous if the snow falls off and
> obscures the visibility for the car behind.

The real danger is if the driver slows a little and the snow on the roof
slides forwards and over the windscreen blinding the driver. I see this
fairly often, usually at junctions and traffic lights but occassionally on
the motorway which is clear of snow and people are hitting 70 mph.
I live in scotland and regularly travel the M8 and M90 which travel through
higher areas where snow is common. It can be quite scary to see. I see it
once or twice a week in the snowy season.

Andy

Mike Scott

Dec 3, 2010, 3:24:20 AM12/3/10
On 02/12/2010 20:53, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Up here (Scotland) you can be (and drivers are being) fined £60 for not
>>> clearing your roof before you drive.
>>

>> Do you perhaps have a reference to newspaper reports of the court
>> cases of same?
>
> No, just complaints from drivers caught out and warnings from 'the law'
> about it. So far as I know, this has only been happening in this latest
> cold snap.

It seems to me that if existing (?) law is to applied differently, it
might just be polite to let people know, so they at least get the
opportunity to stay within the newly interpreted rules. Suddenly hitting
people with a penalty without warning for behaviour that was accepted
last year seems to me to be extremely heavy-handed.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

freepo

Dec 3, 2010, 3:50:51 AM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 1:33 pm, "Mentalguy2k8" <Mentalguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "freepo" <freepo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Dec 2, 12:40 pm, Alasdair
>
> > If a car with snow on it's roof drives onto a snowless road the driver
> > will speed up like all other drivers and they usually find it amusing
> > to watch the snow from the roof fall on to the road behind them. But
> > this could cause an accident for someone behind, with a great chunks
> > of snow suddenly landing infront of their car.
>
> > If you have lots of snow on the roof the sensible thing to do is
> > remove it with a brush before setting off, of course this may spoil
> > your fun.
>
> ... and your paint job!
>
> I don't agree that the person behind will be put in danger if a bit of snow
> falls off my roof in front of them, into the big piles of snow that are
> already on the road. If they're driving too fast or too close - given the
> road conditions - then screw them.

There are such things called 'soft bristle' brushes, softer than a
babies bottom some of them, certailnly softer than that sponge you
clean your car with.

freepo

Dec 3, 2010, 3:56:38 AM12/3/10
On Dec 2, 7:31 pm, Yellow <y...@please.no.spam.com> wrote:
> In article <60lff691ovqkapl26tme9j6ds76ibld...@4ax.com>,
> inva...@invalid.com says...
>

> > On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:23:24 -0000, Yellow <y...@please.no.spam.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >In article <GeNJo.161704$gN7.90...@newsfe12.ams2>, Mentalguy2k8
> > >@gmail.com says...

ROTFL ...

freepo

Dec 3, 2010, 4:00:29 AM12/3/10
On Dec 3, 8:24 am, Mike Scott <usenet...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid>
wrote:

They 've done it before suddenly fining people for eating an apple at
the wheel, when 10 years earlier such a thing would be unheard of.

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 4:13:28 AM12/3/10

"Mike Scott" <usen...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid> wrote in message

You asked about court stuff... these are FPNs they are giving out. I am in
Scotland if that makes a difference.

Dunno if I mentioned it here, but we live near the bottom of a hill and over
the past few days, the hill has been littered with cars stuck in the snow.
Yesterday, part of the windscreens were cleared, to allow traffic wardens to
issue tickets for obstruction:(

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Jethro

Dec 3, 2010, 4:14:20 AM12/3/10
> the wheel, when 10 years earlier such a thing would be unheard of.- Hide quoted text -

Althought, IIRC, the law they used *did* exist 10 years ago ....

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 4:14:42 AM12/3/10

"freepo" <free...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I just use my soft sweeping brush.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

fred

Dec 3, 2010, 4:37:26 AM12/3/10
In article <ida9fl$njj$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Mike Scott
<usen...@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid> writes
It has been applied this way for many years. IME a whole factory shift
of drivers too lazy to clear their cars of heavy snow that had fallen
during the day were booked for either driving with impaired visibility
or using a vehicle in a dangerous condition. That was 20 years ago.

Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse and I have no problem with
people being ticketed under these circumstances.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

AlanG

Dec 3, 2010, 5:29:39 AM12/3/10
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:54:33 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

>"AlanG" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 17:54:06 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"AlanG" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Rather more difficult if not impossible to brush the snow from a high
>>>roof.
>>>
>> Indeed
>> We have just had a fall from the roof into our back yard. Blocked the
>> back door with a four foot pile of snow and made the missus jump when
>> it hit.
>
>I'll bet!!

Just managed to dig a path out this morning. Part of the guttering has
pulled away. More expense :(.

Same thing happened last year at the front but we didn't spot it until
all the upstairs wall was soaked and the plaster coming off the wall.
£700 for repairs and redecorating and not worth claiming on the
insurance cos we pay the first 500 and they would only bump up the
premiums.

AlanG

Dec 3, 2010, 5:33:55 AM12/3/10
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:54:05 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

rubbish.
I have a tiny chevrolet matiz. There are few smaller cars around.
Takes me at least 10 minutes to clean snow off it and deice the glass.
And if the snow has iced onto the roof it is impossible to shift. All
one can do is sweep the soft stuff off

Francis Burton

Dec 3, 2010, 6:03:31 AM12/3/10
In article <8lqff1...@mid.individual.net>,

Ophelia <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote:
>> Indeed
>> We have just had a fall from the roof into our back yard. Blocked the
>> back door with a four foot pile of snow and made the missus jump when
>> it hit.
>
>I'll bet!!

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_e-WoUHmhA

Francis

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 6:43:25 AM12/3/10

"Francis Burton" <fbu...@nyx.net> wrote in message

oooooooooooooooooooofffffffffffff!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 6:41:59 AM12/3/10

"AlanG" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message

:( They will always get out of it if they can anyway!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 7:16:00 AM12/3/10
fred <n...@for.mail> wrote in news:HDzRcsBWpL+MFwrl@y.z:

It's not simply "ignorance of the law" is pure and simple fucking
stupidity by people unfit to be hehind the wheel of a car.

--

Regards,

Periander

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 7:17:12 AM12/3/10

dadae1...@o14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com.
> ..

>> On Dec 2, 1:33 pm, "Mentalguy2k8" <Mentalguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "freepo" <freepo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> news:b89e9f78-8ada-4adf-ab89-5be9b441cf07
@r40g2000prh.googlegroups.co
>>> m...

>>> ... and your paint job!
>>>
>>> I don't agree that the person behind will be put in danger if a bit
>>> of snow
>>> falls off my roof in front of them, into the big piles of snow that
>>> are already on the road. If they're driving too fast or too close -
>>> given the road conditions - then screw them.
>>
>> There are such things called 'soft bristle' brushes, softer than a
>> babies bottom some of them, certailnly softer than that sponge you
>> clean your car with.
>
> I just use my soft sweeping brush.

I just send my wife out, removing snow comes under the heading of
"houshold cleaning" as far as I'm concerned, who cares what she uses.

--

Regards,

Periander

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 7:19:11 AM12/3/10
AlanG <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in

> Just managed to dig a path out this morning. Part of the guttering has
> pulled away. More expense :(.
>
> Same thing happened last year at the front but we didn't spot it until
> all the upstairs wall was soaked and the plaster coming off the wall.
> £700 for repairs and redecorating and not worth claiming on the
> insurance cos we pay the first 500 and they would only bump up the
> premiums.

Just spent the morning clearing icicles for the same reason, don't want
them pulling the guttering down.

--

Regards,

Periander

Adrian

Dec 3, 2010, 7:25:44 AM12/3/10
On 03/12/2010 12:19 PM, Periander wrote:
> Just spent the morning clearing icicles for the same reason, don't want
> them pulling the guttering down.

Doesn't that count as "household cleaning", too...?

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 7:43:03 AM12/3/10

"Periander" <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote in message

'send out your wife' ?????? And would the big man not be cross with the wee
wife if she scratched 'his' car'? Would he perhaps care then what she was
using...?

God bless the poor lamb is all I can say:(
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 8:23:53 AM12/3/10

>>> I just use my soft sweeping brush.
>>
>> I just send my wife out, removing snow comes under the heading of
>> "houshold cleaning" as far as I'm concerned, who cares what she uses.
>
> 'send out your wife' ?????? And would the big man not be cross with
> the wee wife if she scratched 'his' car'? Would he perhaps care then
> what she was using...?
>
> God bless the poor lamb is all I can say:(

Actually I don't currently own a car - the family one is hers (well
technically so although as usual I've paid for it). I won't be getting a
fresh one of my own until the new year, fancy a Jag this time around.

But seriously I don't make her do all the snow clearing on her own, I send
the children out to help - and if they've missed any I will go out and help
by pointing this out to them.

--

Regards,

Periander

AlanG

Dec 3, 2010, 8:39:40 AM12/3/10

Yes except our roof isn't as big.
Still ended up with a 4ft pile of snow blocking the back door. I had
to dig a path about 12 ft through it before hitting the foot of snow
that had fallen naturally

AlanG

Dec 3, 2010, 8:41:36 AM12/3/10
On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:14:42 -0000, "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:

As do I but it will not shift frozen snow. That falls off as the car
warms up while you are driving

fred

Dec 3, 2010, 8:44:48 AM12/3/10
In article <Xns9E437DA331F2...@69.16.176.253>, Periander
<ulm@?.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> writes

>fred <n...@for.mail> wrote in news:HDzRcsBWpL+MFwrl@y.z:
>
>> It has been applied this way for many years. IME a whole factory shift
>> of drivers too lazy to clear their cars of heavy snow that had fallen
>> during the day were booked for either driving with impaired visibility
>> or using a vehicle in a dangerous condition. That was 20 years ago.
>>
>> Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse and I have no problem
>> with people being ticketed under these circumstances.
>
>It's not simply "ignorance of the law" is pure and simple fucking
>stupidity by people unfit to be hehind the wheel of a car.

I agree but I try to conduct myself in this group as if it was the
moderated group so avoid swearing :-)

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 8:41:56 AM12/3/10

"Periander" <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote in message

Why do I get the idea you are 'at it' ;)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Michael Swift

Dec 3, 2010, 9:23:01 AM12/3/10
In article <Xns9E437DDBF645...@69.16.176.253>, Periander
<ulm@?.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> writes

>> I just use my soft sweeping brush.
>
>I just send my wife out, removing snow comes under the heading of
>"houshold cleaning" as far as I'm concerned, who cares what she uses.

You would if she used a Brillo pad.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 9:47:05 AM12/3/10

"Michael Swift" <mike....@yeton.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <Xns9E437DDBF645...@69.16.176.253>, Periander
> <ulm@?.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> writes
>>> I just use my soft sweeping brush.
>>
>>I just send my wife out, removing snow comes under the heading of
>>"houshold cleaning" as far as I'm concerned, who cares what she uses.
>
> You would if she used a Brillo pad.

A wire brush?

--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

AlanG

Dec 3, 2010, 9:49:28 AM12/3/10

This is snow on the roof piled up on the edge as the sun thaws it
slightly. Ends up as icy snow a lot heavier than the flaky stuff. Our
gutters have been forced away from the wall but a few of the
neighbours have had their gutters torn off.

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 10:02:03 AM12/3/10
"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in

Guilty ... just spent the last hour and half digging out the car and
making a path to the road .. the good lady Periander contributed by
bringing me out a nice hot cup of coffee which was much appreciated. ;-)

--

Regards,

Periander

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 10:03:13 AM12/3/10

> In article <Xns9E437DDBF645...@69.16.176.253>, Periander
> <ulm@?.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> writes
>>> I just use my soft sweeping brush.
>>
>>I just send my wife out, removing snow comes under the heading of
>>"houshold cleaning" as far as I'm concerned, who cares what she uses.
>
> You would if she used a Brillo pad.

It's her car not mine (I don't own one at the moment) so for all I care she
could ;-)

--

Regards,

Periander

Ophelia

Dec 3, 2010, 10:07:18 AM12/3/10

>> Why do I get the idea you are 'at it' ;)
>
> Guilty ... just spent the last hour and half digging out the car and
> making a path to the road .. the good lady Periander contributed by
> bringing me out a nice hot cup of coffee which was much appreciated. ;-)

:))
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Mike Ross

Dec 3, 2010, 10:25:09 AM12/3/10
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:23:53 GMT, Periander <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote:

>"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.me.uk> wrote in

>>> I just send my wife out, removing snow comes under the heading of
>>> "houshold cleaning" as far as I'm concerned, who cares what she uses.
>>
>> 'send out your wife' ?????? And would the big man not be cross with
>> the wee wife if she scratched 'his' car'? Would he perhaps care then
>> what she was using...?
>>
>> God bless the poor lamb is all I can say:(
>
>Actually I don't currently own a car - the family one is hers (well
>technically so although as usual I've paid for it). I won't be getting a
>fresh one of my own until the new year, fancy a Jag this time around.

I highly recommend a CL-class Merc.

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'

Periander

Dec 3, 2010, 10:38:39 AM12/3/10
Mike Ross <mi...@corestore.org> wrote in

>>Actually I don't currently own a car - the family one is hers (well
>>technically so although as usual I've paid for it). I won't be getting a
>>fresh one of my own until the new year, fancy a Jag this time around.
>
> I highly recommend a CL-class Merc.

I'd have to buy second hand whereas I can buy new with the Jag and you do
get a lot for your money.

--

Regards,

Periander

Mike Ross

Dec 3, 2010, 2:36:36 PM12/3/10

Never seen the point of buying new; I could just as well go to the dealership
and burn twenty grand or so in front of their door - at least it would keep me
warm! But that's just me.

See what you can get on 2007 or later CL-class; very nice. This is the kind of
thing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-CL500-NEW-SHAPE-CL-500-2007-07-REG-/300498709181?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item45f71e6abd