Small Claims Court? How and costs?

outofpocket

Mar 20, 2006, 9:05:04 AM3/20/06
I just require some straightforward advice please:

I'm a student who does web design on a relatively small basis just to
make ends meet. Unfortunately one of my clients has been promising to
pay me for over 3 months now and finally I have lost patience and need
to know where I stand.

The website is complete,the amount owing is only £390.00, and the
client is very happy with it and has not complained once about
anything. Unfortunately when I ask for my account to be settled they
keep saying they are having financial difficulties at the moment and
ask for a little more time.

1. How much will it cost me to issue proceedings to claim the money
owed?
2. What happens if they haven't got the money?
3. If I do win my case could it be a case of being paid back by some
measly amount per month because of their circumstances?

Many thanks!

Willy

Mar 20, 2006, 11:05:05 AM3/20/06

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

> 1. How much will it cost me to issue proceedings to claim the money
> owed?

£30.00

> 2. What happens if they haven't got the money?

you get nothing, but the company gets a poor credit rating

> 3. If I do win my case could it be a case of being paid back by some
> measly amount per month because of their circumstances?

Yep, but if they are a business which is open to the public, then the
bailiffs can simply walk in and possess

Merryterry

Mar 20, 2006, 11:05:04 AM3/20/06

I am not an expert but in my experience:

Go to here
http://www.dca.gov.uk/civil/procrules_fin/contents/parts/part27.htm

Won't cost you a lot which you will get back.

If they haven't got the money you wont get paid but they will have an
outstanding court order against them and wont get any trade credit.

Highly unlikely that a Judge will allow them time to pay on such a
piddling (for them) amount.

Highly likely they will pay you if you get the court to issue the
papers but they will wait till the last possible moment to pay.

The proceedures are very simple and informal and I expect you will find
your local County Court staff very helpful.

Dont forget to add the Court Fees to the amount claimed.

outofpocket

Mar 20, 2006, 12:05:04 PM3/20/06
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:05:04 +0000, "Merryterry" <ter...@fsmail.net>

Your advice is very much appreciated - thank you!

outofpocket

Mar 20, 2006, 12:05:04 PM3/20/06
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:05:05 +0000, "Willy" <bbapw...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>outofpocket wrote:
>> The website is complete,the amount owing is only £390.00, and the
>> client is very happy with it and has not complained once about
>> anything. Unfortunately when I ask for my account to be settled they
>> keep saying they are having financial difficulties at the moment and
>> ask for a little more time.
>
>https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
>
>> 1. How much will it cost me to issue proceedings to claim the money
>> owed?
>
>£30.00

Grassy Knollington

Mar 22, 2006, 9:40:05 AM3/22/06
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:05:05 +0000, Willy wrote:

> outofpocket wrote:
>> The website is complete,the amount owing is only Ł390.00, and the

>> client is very happy with it and has not complained once about
>> anything. Unfortunately when I ask for my account to be settled they
>> keep saying they are having financial difficulties at the moment and
>> ask for a little more time.
>
> https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
>
>> 1. How much will it cost me to issue proceedings to claim the money
>> owed?
>

> Ł30.00

Just cost me Ł120 at local court? (To deal with the 3rd dodgy motor
trader I have dealt with in as many months)

Chris Howells

Mar 22, 2006, 12:35:03 PM3/22/06
Grassy Knollington wrote:

>>> 1. How much will it cost me to issue proceedings to claim the money
>>> owed?

>> £30.00
>>

> Just cost me £120 at local court? (To deal with the 3rd dodgy motor

> trader I have dealt with in as many months)

It depends on the amount being claimed.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/fees/county.htm

Incidentally the advise given to the OP is incorrect, it will cost him
£50, not £30, to claim £390.

Willy

Mar 22, 2006, 4:55:02 PM3/22/06

Chris Howells wrote:

> Incidentally the advise given to the OP is incorrect, it will cost him
> £50, not £30, to claim £390.

I stand corrected.

Grassy Knollington

Mar 22, 2006, 6:00:11 PM3/22/06