Gay Shame and Lesbian Weakness (and not even a bible in sig

Matthew Malthouse

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

In article <6nmmat$ikv$1...@eros.clara.net>,
"Kenny" <ken...@cyberdude.getridofthisbit.com> wrote:

} The grim evidence from the free
get-your-polaroid-done-as-the-Village-People
} stall at Duckie's post-Pride Gay Shame and Lesbian Weakness party.
}
} Look, I implore you, do NOT select this link... ;-)
}
} www.kennyp.clara.net/mary/pride98/duckie.htm

Peeps,

please put the hhtp:// (or whatever the apropriate protocol signifier might
be) on the begining or urls. I know that NC & IE will "guess" the right
protocol to use, but some software isn't that stupid.

Matthew

--
"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto"
mailto:matthew....@guardian.co.uk

Ian Cooper

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 00:34:44 +0100, matthew....@guardian.co.uk
(Matthew Malthouse) wrote:

>In article <6nmmat$ikv$1...@eros.clara.net>,
>"Kenny" <ken...@cyberdude.getridofthisbit.com> wrote:
>} www.kennyp.clara.net/mary/pride98/duckie.htm
>
>Peeps,
>
>please put the hhtp:// (or whatever the apropriate protocol signifier might
>be) on the begining or urls. I know that NC & IE will "guess" the right
>protocol to use, but some software isn't that stupid.

<Ian jumps up and down, grateful that someone else feels that way too>

And now that we have some distinctly odd FQDNs, it's going to be
necessary. Is www.d...@waterstones.co.uk an email address, or a
"URL"?

Ian
- who must re-read his RFCs to see if that's a valid URL, and also a
valid FQDN
--
Mail to antispam will be deleted automatically
To send me mail, replace "antispam" with "ian"

Ian Cooper

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

(Matthew Malthouse) wrote:

>please put the hhtp:// (or whatever the apropriate protocol signifier might

^^^^^^^

Presumably the protocol for stressed out hypertext: hyper hypertext
protocol :-)

Ian

Tom Jordaan

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 08:57:41 GMT, anti...@alethea.demon.co.uk (Ian Cooper)
wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 00:34:44 +0100, matthew....@guardian.co.uk
>(Matthew Malthouse) wrote:
>

>>please put the hhtp:// (or whatever the apropriate protocol signifier might

>>be) on the begining or urls. I know that NC & IE will "guess" the right
>>protocol to use, but some software isn't that stupid.
>
><Ian jumps up and down, grateful that someone else feels that way too>
>
>And now that we have some distinctly odd FQDNs, it's going to be
>necessary. Is www.d...@waterstones.co.uk an email address, or a
>"URL"?

An email address. waterstones.co.uk is a FQDN,
mailto:www.d...@waterstones.co.uk would be a valid URL.

Probably.

Tom.
(With just 270 headers to go...)
| This week's Ranma 1/2 quote: |
| Ranma: If it's got 'martial' in it, we can win! |
| |
| Join the worship of blue-haired demons at the Ryoko |
| Forever Fan Club: http://www.teleport.com/~bobtmigo/rffc/ |

Ian Cooper

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 00:19:41 GMT, ranma...@phlebas.demon.co.uk (Tom
Jordaan) wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 08:57:41 GMT, anti...@alethea.demon.co.uk (Ian Cooper)
>wrote:

>>And now that we have some distinctly odd FQDNs, it's going to be
>>necessary. Is www.d...@waterstones.co.uk an email address, or a
>>"URL"?
>
>An email address. waterstones.co.uk is a FQDN,
>mailto:www.d...@waterstones.co.uk would be a valid URL.

Yes, that's a valid mail URL. (It'd be valid irrespective of
waterstones.co.uk being an FQDN too - it's also got an MX record
[pointing to Demon if my tools are working properly].)

http://www.d...@waterstones.co.uk/ appears to be a "valid" HTTP URL
(try it and you'll probably[1] end up reading a different Web page to
the one you were reading before).

[1] I guess this could depend on the age/correctness of your client.

>Probably.

:)

That's why people need to quote the protocol part of URLs.

If www.d...@waterstones.co.uk *is* a valid *FQDN* (and is covered in
the URL RFC) then you *have* to supply the protocol - otherwise it
looks just like an email address!! That's one of the reasons why I
wonder whether it's really valid.

Ian
- who can remember FQDNs that contained _ characters...
--
Ian Cooper, by way of antispam filter
To send me email, please replace "antispam" with "ian"