Can i use a external drive usb hard drive to watch my divx files on the xbox 360

Dave T

Dec 16, 2007, 4:37:40 PM12/16/07
Can i use a external drive usb hard drive to watch my divx files on the xbox
360 , i have the latest updates and happily use a 2gb usb stick to watch my
divx films , but can be a pain topping it up with a new movie each time
etc....so a 80gb external drive might be the answer.....if its usable on a
xbox 360 via usb....anyone tried this ??

Dec 16, 2007, 5:06:24 PM12/16/07

"Dave T" <DI...@DONG.COM> wrote in message

Absolutely yes! I have a Seagate Freeagent 500gb external USB drive and it
does the trick fine. Use a program called Macdrive and format it in FAT32
and you're away!!

skidz

Dec 16, 2007, 5:28:50 PM12/16/07
"Dave T" <DI...@DONG.COM> wrote in message

you cannot connect a USB external HDD unless it is an 360 HDD but I have a
external 400GB Maxtor drive with all my movies on which I strean through the
media centre extender and play Divx/Xvid etc etc connected to my PC and use
a router to stream to 360>HDTV

skidz

It has removed 478 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Dave T

Dec 16, 2007, 5:30:59 PM12/16/07

"J" <.> wrote in message
Fantastic, i was thinking about buying a 80gb 2.5 inch type external h.d ,
so it can be powered from the usb slot , instead of using a external power
supply as well.

other than divx and avi files what else can you play via the usb slots ?

deKay

Dec 16, 2007, 5:55:15 PM12/16/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 16 Dec
2007 22:30:59 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.xbox, yawatina tan reek esk "Dave T" <DI...@DONG.COM> fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>other than divx and avi files what else can you play via the usb slots ?

Music and pictures.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

deKay

Dec 16, 2007, 5:56:16 PM12/16/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 16 Dec
2007 22:28:50 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.xbox,
yawatina tan reek esk "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com> fornis do marikano es
bono tan el:

>you cannot connect a USB external HDD unless it is an 360 HDD

Except of course that you can.

>but I have a
>external 400GB Maxtor drive with all my movies on which I strean through the
>media centre extender and play Divx/Xvid etc etc connected to my PC and use
>a router to stream to 360>HDTV

Why not just plug your drive into the 360?

matt

Dec 16, 2007, 6:22:33 PM12/16/07

"deKay" <an...@deleteme.lofi-gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 16
> Dec
> 2007 22:28:50 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.xbox,
> yawatina tan reek esk "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com> fornis do
> marikano es
> bono tan el:
>
>>you cannot connect a USB external HDD unless it is an 360 HDD
>
> Except of course that you can.

yup, i've played divx movies and tv shows off my 4 gig sandisk stick and
external drive, works great.

Chris F

Dec 16, 2007, 9:06:08 PM12/16/07
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:56:16 +0000, deKay
<an...@deleteme.lofi-gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 16 Dec
>2007 22:28:50 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.xbox,
>yawatina tan reek esk "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com> fornis do marikano es
>bono tan el:
>
>>you cannot connect a USB external HDD unless it is an 360 HDD
>
>Except of course that you can.
>
>>but I have a
>>external 400GB Maxtor drive with all my movies on which I strean through the
>>media centre extender and play Divx/Xvid etc etc connected to my PC and use
>>a router to stream to 360>HDTV
>
>Why not just plug your drive into the 360?

ssssssshhhhh

never ask a follow up question!

skidz

Dec 17, 2007, 5:37:39 AM12/17/07
"deKay" <an...@deleteme.lofi-gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 16
> Dec
> 2007 22:28:50 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.xbox,
> yawatina tan reek esk "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com> fornis do
> marikano es
> bono tan el:
>
>>you cannot connect a USB external HDD unless it is an 360 HDD
>
> Except of course that you can.
>
>>but I have a
>>external 400GB Maxtor drive with all my movies on which I strean through
>>the
>>media centre extender and play Divx/Xvid etc etc connected to my PC and
>>use
>>a router to stream to 360>HDTV
>
> Why not just plug your drive into the 360?

so you can download stuff ontoexternal HD from Marketplace too?and game
saves etc? Wow I did not know, why bother with MS 120GB HD then????

Skijumptoes

Dec 17, 2007, 6:03:20 AM12/17/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:37:39 GMT, "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com>
wrote:

>so you can download stuff ontoexternal HD from Marketplace too?and game
>saves etc? Wow I did not know, why bother with MS 120GB HD then????

Cause it doesn't need an external power source and is attached to the
console as opposed to being a seperate box, maybe?! :)

Chris F

Dec 17, 2007, 6:54:21 AM12/17/07
wrote:

>"deKay" <an...@deleteme.lofi-gaming.nospam.org.uk.invalid> wrote in message

>> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 16
>> Dec
>> 2007 22:28:50 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>> uk.games.video.xbox,
>> yawatina tan reek esk "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com> fornis do
>> marikano es
>> bono tan el:
>>
>>>you cannot connect a USB external HDD unless it is an 360 HDD
>>
>> Except of course that you can.
>>
>>>but I have a
>>>external 400GB Maxtor drive with all my movies on which I strean through
>>>the
>>>media centre extender and play Divx/Xvid etc etc connected to my PC and
>>>use
>>>a router to stream to 360>HDTV
>>
>> Why not just plug your drive into the 360?
>
>so you can download stuff ontoexternal HD from Marketplace too?and game
>saves etc? Wow I did not know, why bother with MS 120GB HD then????

no, the 360 usb ports are read only, you can't write anything to a usb
device plugged into them, unless theyve changed that in the last dash
update.

Dr. Glyndwr

Dec 17, 2007, 7:22:39 AM12/17/07
Dave T wrote:
> "J" <.> wrote in message
> Fantastic, i was thinking about buying a 80gb 2.5 inch type external h.d ,
> so it can be powered from the usb slot , instead of using a external power
> supply as well.

Careful. Firstly, bus-powering 2.5" hard disks from USB doesn't always
work, and you may have to tap the power from two different USB ports to
get the drive to spin up (they often come with two-tailed USB connectors
for this). So it could take up both USB ports on the front of your 360.

Secondly, plugging USB mass storage devices (hard disks, thumb drives,
etc) into the 360 will only work for FAT32 devices, and not NTFS, which
is the default format Windows will want to work with. You can't even
format FAT32 disks bigger than 32Gb under Windows any more:

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx

"12. What size USB storage device does the Xbox 360 support?

"The Xbox 360 will support as big of a storage device as you can format
using FAT32. Unfortunately when formatting a device in Windows Vista or
Windows XP you will be restricted to a maximum FAT32 size of 32GB. You
can work around this limitation by using a 3rd party utility or using an
alternative Operating System that does not have this restriction.
Please note that the maximum size of any single file on FAT32 is 4GB."

deKay

Dec 17, 2007, 7:56:30 AM12/17/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 17 Dec
2007 10:37:39 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.xbox,

yawatina tan reek esk "skidz" <skidpr...@google.com> fornis do marikano es
bono tan el:

>>>but I have a

>>>external 400GB Maxtor drive with all my movies on which I strean through
>>>the
>>>media centre extender and play Divx/Xvid etc etc connected to my PC and
>>>use
>>>a router to stream to 360>HDTV
>>
>> Why not just plug your drive into the 360?
>
>so you can download stuff ontoexternal HD from Marketplace too?and game
>saves etc?

Er, no. But that's not what anyone is talking about.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

Skijumptoes

Dec 17, 2007, 11:56:44 AM12/17/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:54:21 GMT, Chris F
<ch...@asifimtellingyoulot.com> wrote:

>>so you can download stuff ontoexternal HD from Marketplace too?and game
>>saves etc? Wow I did not know, why bother with MS 120GB HD then????
>
>no, the 360 usb ports are read only, you can't write anything to a usb
>device plugged into them, unless theyve changed that in the last dash
>update.

How are people using saves to unlock achievements then? I presumed
they were using usb sticks etc.

Chris F

Dec 17, 2007, 1:28:32 PM12/17/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:56:44 +0000, Skijumptoes <S...@privacy.net>
wrote:

using one of those datel XSATA things, or whatever theyre called, i
imagine.

that lets you backup and restore your 360 hdd drive contents using a
pc