using Australian PS in UK????

Duncan Cochran

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Hi

I am considering buying my playstation from Australia. The power and
TV requirements for each country are the same. However, I don't think
the Australian PS will play games bought in the UK the same way people
in the UK cannot easily play games which were made for the US.

Is this correct?

Duncan

coc...@sjh.bi.umist.ac.uk

Brian Baird

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Duncan Cochran wrote:

> I am considering buying my playstation from Australia. The power and
> TV requirements for each country are the same. However, I don't think
> the Australian PS will play games bought in the UK the same way people
> in the UK cannot easily play games which were made for the US.
>
> Is this correct?

Almost - Australian games /are/ PAL games to all intents & purposes. For
instance, there was a good demand for Australian copies of 1080 on the
N64 - it came out six months before the UK release & ran on an ordinary
UK machine...

--

Brian @ DMA

[ All opinions & views are my own, not DMA's, yadda, yadda, yadda ]

Boggis

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <7he82r$2tmm$1...@probity.mcc.ac.uk>,
coc...@sjh.bi.umist.ac.uk (Duncan Cochran) wrote:
> Hi

> I am considering buying my playstation from Australia. The power and
> TV requirements for each country are the same. However, I don't think
> the Australian PS will play games bought in the UK the same way people
> in the UK cannot easily play games which were made for the US.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Duncan

I bought my PlayStation in Oz a few years back, and since they are PAL,
all PAL games will work on them. No probs with UK games at all - unlike
NTSC machines which have two "regions" (US/Asia) PAL ones are the same
everywhere. In fact, when I got back from Oz my machine started skipping
and generally cocking up, and Sony UK even replaced it for me and
honoured my Australian warranty! You'd better check that they'll still
do this though.

One question - you've got a .ac.uk address, why don't you buy it in the
UK? What would be the advantage of buying one there? They weren't any
cheaper when I was there!

Cheers,

Boggis xxx

--
Toby Galbraith ("Boggis")
-don't ask me why!-

Duncan Cochran

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Boggis

A relative is visiting and the scost si $170 which at the current
excahnge is less than £70. The cheapest I have seen in Manchester is
£99. Memeory cards likewise, controllers about the same price.

Thanks for the info about the PAL games. Makes me feel better.

Duncan

Digital Wizards

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
to Duncan Cochran
Typical prices are around the A$184 to A$199 depending on bundled games
etc.

As to the games - yes we use the same zone as you guys (SCEE) and PAL
format - the current model is SCPH-7502 A.

Cheers

Terry

PS we can do you a modded PSX for A$225 (pickup) featuring our own
Aussie Phantom ModChip
(see address below for features)
= Digital Wizards - Home of the NEW AUSSIE Phantom ModChip
= Bringing the best of US and UK designs downunder - and making them
work!
email digital...@hotmail.com
Visit Us At http://www.uq.net.au/~zztgunso

Bjorn Aarts

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
No it isn't there are three zones for psx games, japan, us and europe +
australia

So in europe you will have the same games as in australia, but if you mod
your psx, you can play games from japan and the us on you australian psx
in the UK