Play Want Bin

Zomoniac

Mar 22, 2004, 7:34:18 AM3/22/04
Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:

Play:

Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) - 74.8% complete! It will be done!
Ridge Racer Revolution (PS1) - Far, FAR harder than any other RR game.
Damnit.
UT2004 (PC) - Loving it big styleeee!
Sega Swirl (DC) - Started playing this with a mate at 9pm on Saturday.
Stopped at 4am! Amazing.

Want:

SB: LoC (XBox) out on Friday, should be fun.
100% on GT3!!!
SHENMUE 3! STILL!

Bin:

NBA/NFL/NHL2K3 because there's never been a single person other than me
online!

Zo

Toby Newman

Mar 22, 2004, 7:50:54 AM3/22/04
Play
Eternal Darkness
I will finish this. One day. I'm on Ashes-to-ashes so I'm nearly
there after 1.3 yrs! I even bought my first HP lovecraft book to get into
the whole horror/mythos/ancients frame of mind, in a last push.

Super Puzzle Fighter 2X (DC)
I never want to play a different colour-arrangement-type-game again!
This one wins.

UT2K3
...in preparation for Play.com delivering UT2K4 DVD.

Mario Kart DD!!
Still. And it is still fun. And I've not finished it yet.

Want
UT2K4
Usual suspects (Shenmue 3, DNF, Doom 3, HL2)
To have finished Eternal Darkness
Room in my game collection for Burnout 2, Harvest Moon (AWL), FZero.

Bin
All other colour-arrangement-type-games.

--
Toby
asktoby.com

QT

Mar 22, 2004, 8:01:27 AM3/22/04
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:34:18 +0000 (UTC), "Zomoniac"
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
>Play:

Arc : Twilight of the Spirits: Levelling up to be able to defeat the
final boss, which is ultrahard. A very good game, except for that
levelling-up which is extremely boring. That might be the case with
all JRPGs though :-)

>Want:

A good FPS for PS2, still undecided whether to replay Half-life or try
to get a copy of Red Faction.
Just out of boredom, exchange PS2 for an XBox maybe?

>Bin:

Being forced to level up in some RPGs for days.
Forte Agent, for losing some postings on this cool newsgroup ?

qt

Nathan

Mar 22, 2004, 8:10:06 AM3/22/04
oooooh he's here again...the man with Zomoniac in his eyes

> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:
>
> Gran Turismo 3 (PS2) - 74.8% complete! It will be done!

Hmm. I should pick up where I left off too (which was very early on)

Anyway:

Dance Dance Revolution Extreme - The challenges kill me. I don't have
enough endurance.

Xenosaga - Slowing down but wanting to pick up the pace a bit

Eternal Darkness - Only managing a chapter or two a week though at the
current rate. It's quite an easy game when you get down to it but it's
just braving up to play it :P

That's about it. Other stuff on and off but no point listing that here
:P

> Want:
> SHENMUE 3! STILL!

Bah you'll be wanting it forever. I want this so much too but I have
decided that assuming it'll never happen will mean I won't be
disappointed.

Also want Harvest Moon: I believe that DVDsoon haven't got any copies.
Nothing can be "packing" for that long. At first it said "on order" when
the release date had passed, so I reckon they just put everyone's game
"packing" so they wouldn't get a load of pissed off pre-orderers emailing
them.

> Bin:

working from home. There's a feeling when playing videogames that I
should really be working for that deadline this friday, so I'm not really
enjoying them as much now. Still, after next week hopefully I'll be free
to play willy nilly.

--
Nathan.
Bow to the Cow!

Mike Jenkins

Mar 22, 2004, 8:14:27 AM3/22/04
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
>Play:

Beyond Good and Evil (GC) - Almost completely excellent game, finished
it in 11 hours but feel like it was over too quickly.

>Want:

Er. Not much at all really.

>Bin:

Beyone Good and Evil - SOLD already.

--
Mike Jenkins
Dreamcast/Gamecube FAQs - http://www.kwik-e-mart.org

The Rev

Mar 22, 2004, 8:48:22 AM3/22/04
After disposing of Elmer McCurdy's corpse, Zomoniac wrote:

> Play:

Pokemon Sapphire (GBA) - Yes. Still. Forty-five hours in now. I missed my
one chance to get a certain Pokemon, so my Pokedex will never be complete.
A deeply distressing experience, as you can imagine. I've got all eight
gym badges now, but I'm guessing I'll have to do some serious levelling up
before facing the Elite Four.

Beyond Good & Evil (Xbox) - Played through the first dungeon. Enjoyable
enough, but didn't grab me. Maybe I need to play more to discover what the
fuss is about.

> Want:

A working PS2, please.

Harvest Moon (GC) - Yes, I've decided, I do want this.

Pokemon Colosseum (GC) - Should be waiting for me when I get back to work
in a couple of weeks.

> Bin:

Final Fantasy X (PS2) - Tried this after leaving it for a couple of years
abotu twnety hours in. Didn't have a clue what I was doing. And my PS2 is
refusing to work properly, so I won't be playing it for a while. If ever.

--
http://www.mysecretshame.co.uk
My Secret Shame

deKay

Mar 22, 2004, 8:49:46 AM3/22/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 22 Mar
2004 12:34:18 +0000 (UTC), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Zomoniac"
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Play:

Since Friday, I've only played:
The Organise All My Stuff and Refit My Store Cupboard Game (RL)

I had officially run out of game space. NOW I HAVE ROOM FOR MORE GAMES!

>Want:

Every game in the whole world ever. Specifically, more MD and MS games. JUST
BOUGHT TALMIT'S ADVENTURE. I've very excited. Although, I would prefer to
have Marvel Land...

>Bin:

Painting. And carpet laying. And pollyfillaing. And anything that isn't
gaming, basically.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk

Mal Franks

Mar 22, 2004, 9:08:55 AM3/22/04
In article <c3mmga$4n0$1...@sparta.btinternet.com>, during a brief moment of
lucidity, the_pro...@hotmail.com says...

PLAY

Dark Age Of Camelot (PC)

WANT

Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC)

Half Life 2 (PC)

Doom 3 (PC)

The Sims 2 for my missus - she's annoyed that the date has now slipped to
September

BIN

Play.com for not shipping my copy of UT2K4 despite pre-ordering

City Link - for not re-delivering my DVD player on Friday and I had taken
the day off especially for this.

Toby Newman

Mar 22, 2004, 9:33:27 AM3/22/04
# Mal Franks

> The Sims 2 for my missus - she's annoyed that the date has
> now slipped
> to September

I don't know anything about Sims 2. Is it going to be an
incredible next-gen real life experience with convincing AI and a
massive interactive game world etc etc, or is it just The Sims in
true 3D?

OJLim

Mar 22, 2004, 9:59:53 AM3/22/04
"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (GC) - Wonderful wonderful wonderful. Plays
like a dream (unlike another 3D Harvest Moon I know), looks beautiful
(ditto) and I can live out my farming fantasies again.

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2) - Finished... again. Where's Twin Snakes?

> Want:

MGS: TS (GC) - DVDBO = CRAP. Not using them ever again.

> Bin:

DVDBO.

Technical problems occurring at gigs. BOOOOO!

-OJ

Tim Miller

Mar 22, 2004, 10:01:13 AM3/22/04
Toby Newman wrote:

> Bin
> All other colour-arrangement-type-games.

I have been playing Puyo Pop Fever (GC), Puyo Pop (GBA) and Mr Driller 2
(GBA). You are wrong.

Tim (tm)
tim at economic-truth.co.uk
http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine

deKay

Mar 22, 2004, 10:08:48 AM3/22/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 22 Mar 2004
14:59:53 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
yawatina tan reek esk OJLim <oj...@lineone.net> fornis do marikano es bono tan
el:

>> Bin:

>Technical problems occurring at gigs. BOOOOO!

Tch. You really should ditch that mime track, you know :)

Paul Evans

Mar 22, 2004, 10:17:53 AM3/22/04
Zomoniac wrote:
> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:

GTA Vice City (PS2): There comes a time where one has to admit he's shit. Only
23% complete for fuck's sake.

Soul Calibur II (PS2): There comes a time where one has to admit he's shi...

TimeSplitters 2(PS2): There comes a time yadda yadda yadda...

Sonic The Hedgehog (GG): Well, here's one game I'm still good at!

World Class Leaderboard (GG): I had completely forgotten what a good golf game
this was.

> Want:

A job.

> Bin:

Student Loans Company. The c*nts wait until the deadline to inform me that the
information I sent them isn't enough. THEY'VE HAD FOUR FUCKING WEEKS TO TELL ME
THIS. Even if I was still doing my old job, I'm still £380 short of the minimum
pay-per-month limit to start making payments on my loans.

They want me to prove that I'm currently not working, despite my very lengthy
explanation I sent them. I'm not on the dole, and I haven't got a job. What am I
living on? The money that was originally earmarked for my Australia holiday -
the money I had earned from my previous job. They can go and burn in hell.

Bunch of fucking arseholes the lot of them.

Paul.

Paul Evans

Mar 22, 2004, 10:25:02 AM3/22/04
Toby Newman wrote:
> # Mal Franks
>
>> The Sims 2 for my missus - she's annoyed that the date has
>> now slipped
>> to September
>
> I don't know anything about Sims 2. Is it going to be an
> incredible next-gen real life experience with convincing AI and a
> massive interactive game world etc etc, or is it just The Sims in
> true 3D?

It's sort of somewhere in the middle. Your sims can grow old, have kids (who
share it's parent's DNA). They can get married, divorced (which entails
literally losing half your property), have affairs, be aware of events around
them, visit neighbours, kids can go downtown etc.

Kids have new interactions (things like jumping on beds, throwing tantrums
etc.), teenagers can become troublemakers (just like real life then!), get
arrested etc.

To actually play Sims 2 on my PC would actually require me buying a new one, so
I'm holding out for the reviews over at alt.games.the-sims first before I make
the effort. It looks like they've gone the whole hog on this one, but I await
the inevitable bug reports...

Paul.

Toby Newman

Mar 22, 2004, 10:29:23 AM3/22/04
# Tim Miller

> Toby Newman wrote:
>>
>> Bin
>> All other colour-arrangement-type-games.
>
> I have been playing Puyo Pop Fever (GC), Puyo Pop (GBA) and Mr Driller
> 2 (GBA). You are wrong.
>
> Tim (tm)

Despite never playing it, I'll grant you Mr Driller 2 on the strength of
Mr Driller DC and Mrs Driller PC. Puyo Pop (or Mean Bean Machine as the
version I am used to) is good but lacks a lot of the planning of Super
puzzle fighter I think.

Chris Whitworth

Mar 22, 2004, 10:20:44 AM3/22/04
100% Zomoniac!

> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:

Prince Of Persia: The Sands of Time (XBox): I'd be getting through this a
lot quicker if I didn't have to turn it off before I destroy the controller
in frustration every two hours or so - not through difficulty, or anything,
but through annoying little pissy things like the fact that every time you
save the game you have to watch the 10 second waking up animation before
the game starts; the annoying voice overs; the fact the rewind seems to
take a second or so to kick in sometimes and rewinds waaaaaaay too slowly;
the camera ducking down behind a wall so I can't see when I'm being
attacked by those fucking bird things; those fucking bird things; etc, etc.
Shame, really, because it's a good game when it's not ANNOYING THE FUCK out
of me.

Puyo Pop (GBA): Yay, got the extra levels unlocked

Battlefield Vietnam (PC): It's Battlefield 1942, except with even less
distinct graphics. Some good maps, some utterly shit maps. Planes and
helicopters still utterly impossible to fly or use in any meaningful way.
Not convinced about this one, sorry.

Being mugged on the way home from the pub and having my mobile phone stolen
(Real Life)

FF:CC (GC): I like the single player. You're all wrong.

> Want:

UT2004 (PC): Play still have my order marked as "processing". Barstewards.

> Bin:

Fucking bastard scally mugger cuntys.

Chris
--
Chris Whitworth - Programmer at Strangelite

"back when I was young, we had to travel back in time to put the tape
in so the game would load before we died."
--otama, ua2

Chris Whitworth

Mar 22, 2004, 10:23:59 AM3/22/04
100% Mal Franks!

> City Link - for not re-delivering my DVD player on Friday and I had taken
> the day off especially for this.

All Couriers In The World Are Shit.

There is not one single package handling company in the world who can
delivery anything on time, undamaged, to the right location, and deal with
your complaint professionally and quickly when one of the first three fails.

James Sutherland

Mar 22, 2004, 10:36:32 AM3/22/04
"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:c3mmga$4n0$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

> Play:

Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - Finished it last night and immediately started
playing it again. I really, really enjoyed this game. Going to play
through a second time with a walkthrough, I think, so I can get 100%
completion. Probably leave it for a few weeks, though.

Final Fantasy IX (PS) - Since I've pretty much just done FFVII, FFX and
FFX-2 back-to-back, I quite fancy playing through this one now. I never
completed it first time for some reason, despite enjoying it. Just done
the first hour or so, so far.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC) - Seems to be great so far. I've not played it
online yet, but the offline mode is really good fun.

> Want:

Harvest Moon to turn up.

> Bin:

Nothing.

Toby Newman

Mar 22, 2004, 10:41:17 AM3/22/04
# Chris Whitworth

> UT2004 (PC): Play still have my order marked as "processing".
> Barstewards.

Same, same...

It is marked as "in stock" now though, and a mate just got the "Your UT2K4
package has been posted" email.

Mal Franks

Mar 22, 2004, 10:58:38 AM3/22/04
In article <Xns94B49D9F89...@192.168.2.115>, during a brief
moment of lucidity, chris.whitw...@strangelite.com says...

> 100% Mal Franks!
>
> > City Link - for not re-delivering my DVD player on Friday and I had taken
> > the day off especially for this.
>
> All Couriers In The World Are Shit.
>
> There is not one single package handling company in the world who can
> delivery anything on time, undamaged, to the right location, and deal with
> your complaint professionally and quickly when one of the first three fails.
>
> Chris

Shitty Link - seem to be the worst of the bunch though. I once took a day
off for a computer to be delivered and it was delivered that day but at
8pm! (they'd somehow forgotten to send it out in the van that morning -
and an employee drove it round to my house in her car)

Actually i've never had any problems with UPS or Parcel Force [1]

Mal

[1] though the latter did lose one of work's laptops - but it was on the
way to be repaired, was a Pentium 133 and the insurance bought a Celery
500. Result!

Tim Miller

Mar 22, 2004, 10:57:09 AM3/22/04
Toby Newman wrote:

> Despite never playing it, I'll grant you Mr Driller 2 on the strength
> of Mr Driller DC and Mrs Driller PC. Puyo Pop (or Mean Bean Machine
> as the version I am used to) is good but lacks a lot of the planning
> of Super puzzle fighter I think.

Puyo Pop Fever has the addition of the fever mode, which means you've got to
constantly plan to counter, and then to work out how to spark a chain
reaction. It's great.

Chris Whitworth

Mar 22, 2004, 11:12:53 AM3/22/04
100% Mal Franks!

> In article <Xns94B49D9F89...@192.168.2.115>, during a brief
> moment of lucidity, chris.whitw...@strangelite.com says...
>> 100% Mal Franks!
>>
>> > City Link - for not re-delivering my DVD player on Friday and I had
>> > taken the day off especially for this.
>>
>> All Couriers In The World Are Shit.
>>
>> There is not one single package handling company in the world who can
>> delivery anything on time, undamaged, to the right location, and deal
>> with your complaint professionally and quickly when one of the first
>> three fails.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Shitty Link - seem to be the worst of the bunch though. I once took a
> day off for a computer to be delivered and it was delivered that day but
> at 8pm! (they'd somehow forgotten to send it out in the van that morning
> - and an employee drove it round to my house in her car)
>
> Actually i've never had any problems with UPS or Parcel Force [1]

I've had more problems with Parcel Force than I care to think about. They
are in my mobile phone as "Parcel Farce". They are fucking abysmal.

Chris Whitworth

Mar 22, 2004, 11:12:07 AM3/22/04
100% Toby Newman!

> # Chris Whitworth
>
>> UT2004 (PC): Play still have my order marked as "processing".
>> Barstewards.
>
> Same, same...
>
> It is marked as "in stock" now though, and a mate just got the "Your UT2K4
> package has been posted" email.

Mine's just been posted. Yay0r! Soon I shall be fragging again.

Chris Whitworth

Mar 22, 2004, 11:14:14 AM3/22/04
100% Tim Miller!

> Toby Newman wrote:
>>
>> Despite never playing it, I'll grant you Mr Driller 2 on the strength
>> of Mr Driller DC and Mrs Driller PC. Puyo Pop (or Mean Bean Machine
>> as the version I am used to) is good but lacks a lot of the planning
>> of Super puzzle fighter I think.
>
> Puyo Pop Fever has the addition of the fever mode, which means you've
> got to constantly plan to counter, and then to work out how to spark a
> chain reaction. It's great.

What *is* fever mode? Is it a worthwhile enough addition to the game to make
me buy it? I've got Puyo Pop (GBA) and have played it until my fingers bled,
but I'm loathe to pay 20quid for a console version when it's so much more
suited to a GBA...

El Dave

Mar 22, 2004, 11:35:28 AM3/22/04
Chris Whitworth wrote:

>>>UT2004 (PC): Play still have my order marked as "processing".
>>>Barstewards.
>>
>>Same, same...
>>
>>It is marked as "in stock" now though, and a mate just got the "Your UT2K4
>>package has been posted" email.
>
> Mine's just been posted. Yay0r! Soon I shall be fragging again.

Mine too. Hooray - even though I pre-ordered it so it should have been
posted already. Bah. I didn't see it in shops (well, shop - Gamestation)
on Friday either.

Also:

PLAY

UT2004 demo (PC) - I really haven't played any modes other than the
single Onslaught map. It's ace. And, as an added bonus, I appear to rule
- at first I put it down to my opponents being a constant influx of
"n00bs", but now I'm starting to wonder whether I really am quite good.
It certainly makes a change!

Pinball Dreams (Amiga) - oh man! Addicted all over again! Damn it Amiga
and your temptations!

Discworld Noir (PC) - still cool!

WANT

UT2004 (PC DVD) - as above!

BIN

Still LucasArts - some tasty screenshots of the cancelled Sam and Max
fanned the flames of my wrath yesterday. :)

Toby Newman

Mar 22, 2004, 11:38:51 AM3/22/04
# Chris Whitworth

> Mine's just been posted. Yay0r! Soon I shall be fragging again.
>
> Chris

Mine's just been posted too. Supergrate.

deKay

Mar 22, 2004, 11:36:19 AM3/22/04
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 22 Mar
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Chris Whitworth
<chris.whitw...@strangelite.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Mine's just been posted. Yay0r! Soon I shall be fragging again.

You filthy beggar. Oh, hang on - that's an "a".

James Sutherland

Mar 22, 2004, 11:46:12 AM3/22/04
Chris Whitworth <chris.whitw...@strangelite.com> wrote in

> What *is* fever mode? Is it a worthwhile enough addition to the game
> to make me buy it?

You have a fever bar which increases as you counter your opponent's
attacks. When it fills up you enter fever mode in which a load of combo-
ready patterns of Puyo are dropped onto your screen. As long as you can
keep on finding the combos, you can stay in fever mode for a while and keep
attacks going against your opponent.

It changes the game a fair bit, as it makes you play a lot more
defensively. You need to keep different-coloured groups of Puyo ready so
that you can counter attack easily to raise your fever bar, and to counter
the fever mode attacks if your opponent gets it. You actually start
wanting your opponent to attack you so that you can get your counter
attacks in.

Kramer

Mar 22, 2004, 12:12:25 PM3/22/04
James Sutherland wrote:
> "Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:c3mmga$4n0$1
> @sparta.btinternet.com:
>
>> Play:

Tetris Advance (GBA): Finally, a proper GBA Tetris game. Has everything
you'd want from Tetris.

Paintball: Like Counterstrike, but with an aching body.

Dancing Stage Unleashed (Xbox): Some okay tunes, mixed with loads of
Japanese weirdness. More physically demanding than paintballing.

>> Want:

Harvest Moon (GC): This Friday!

Easter Holidays.

>> Bin:

Prince of Persia (Xbox): Wonderful game, but I'm not gonna go through it
again.

K.

Chris Whitworth

Mar 22, 2004, 12:33:55 PM3/22/04
100% James Sutherland!

> Chris Whitworth <chris.whitw...@strangelite.com> wrote in
>
>> What *is* fever mode? Is it a worthwhile enough addition to the game
>> to make me buy it?
>

> [description of fever mode]

Sounds interesting. Is the AI any good? None of the people I have around to
play against would even come close to being worth playing against :)

Paul Tomlin

Mar 22, 2004, 12:58:55 PM3/22/04
<the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
>Play:

Star Ocean - Till the End of Time (PS2) - Japanese version.
fan-bloody-tastic. The story isn't particularly great, but aside from
some slightly-too-long dungeons (I'm talking about you, Cirlsour
Ruins!) and dumb AI for your characters the gameplay element is ace.
Kind of the antithesis of Xenosaga then.

Shin Megami Tensei III (PS2) - Although not especially long enough to
give proper comments regarding its quality. First impressions make it
seem like it may be really good, though I'm not counting on Altus
being able to get Sony to approve the a US release of this one.
Basically, you play a guy given demonic powers by, errr, Loius Cypher
(think about it ^_-) in order to prevent something-or-other going down
in a now distorted and demon infested Tokyo. To do this you have to
convince various demons you go against to join your party by bribing
them, etc. You can then make more powerful monsters, done by merging
the monsters you have. All the demons are based on proper religous and
mythical figures and stuff. The shear complexity of it all is kind of
melting my brain at the moment though. The character design is pretty
fantastic as well, plus the game uses two-tone shading to great effect
(in that the characters end up looking just like Altus's normal
promo-art).

Venus and Braves (PS2) - Completely fluked though a battle I'd been
putting off all week, after previously getting trounced, by being able
to leave the town then re-enter within the three or so days I had
before the next event, resulting in Blood not being depressed, and a
massive stat-boost for my then-happy Ninjas. Hurrah!

>Want:

Nothing particularly new - Xenosaga II, Sakura Taisen MP, etc, etc

>Bin:

Nothing in particular.

The Rev

Mar 22, 2004, 1:02:36 PM3/22/04
After disposing of Elmer McCurdy's corpse, Paul Tomlin wrote:

> Venus and Braves (PS2) - Completely fluked though a battle I'd been
> putting off all week, after previously getting trounced, by being able to
> leave the town then re-enter within the three or so days I had before the
> next event, resulting in Blood not being depressed, and a massive
> stat-boost for my then-happy Ninjas. Hurrah!

For someone without Japanese knowledge and who doesn't like playing games
with pieces of paper on his lap, this is going to be impossible, isn't it?

Because I really, really want it and it's really, really cheap.

--
http://www.mysecretshame.co.uk
My Secret Shame

Paul Tomlin

Mar 22, 2004, 1:16:14 PM3/22/04
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:02:36 +0000, "The Rev"
<the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>After disposing of Elmer McCurdy's corpse, Paul Tomlin wrote:
>
>> Venus and Braves (PS2) - Completely fluked though a battle I'd been
>> putting off all week, after previously getting trounced, by being able to
>> leave the town then re-enter within the three or so days I had before the
>> next event, resulting in Blood not being depressed, and a massive
>> stat-boost for my then-happy Ninjas. Hurrah!
>
>For someone without Japanese knowledge and who doesn't like playing games
>with pieces of paper on his lap, this is going to be impossible, isn't it?

Only the story, really (there is an FAQ on Gamefaqs going up to about
a third of the way though, but you don't want paper ^_^).

The actual game segments away from the visual novel stuff is really
pretty straight forward, the actual combat is pretty damn mathematical
in that a lot can be planned in advance of going in (there is some
randomness to it, but its easy enough). The rest of the game is kind
of an asset management thing which is easy enough to handle after a
little experience. Its mostly checking for new people at the inn,
wandering around to town to see if anything interesting happens, go on
patrol around the world map killing monsters and stuff.

And, thruthfully, I know very little Japanese beyond the usual
katakana and a few other bits and pieces, so I'm not in that much of a
better situation (beyond the fact that I can live with the bits of
paper - I survived four Sakura Taisen games after all...). I've not
been using paper for this though, its not complicated enough really.

>Because I really, really want it and it's really, really cheap.

Yes, it is ^_^

If you find it interesting, I'd have a quick scan of the gameplay
sections of the Story Translation FAQ on Gamefaqs, and if it still
sounds interesting then go for it. Its ace!

The artwork and music is absolutely beautiful as well.

OJLim

Mar 22, 2004, 1:35:14 PM3/22/04
deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 22
> Mar 2004 14:59:53 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk OJLim <oj...@lineone.net>
> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>> Bin:
>>>
>>Technical problems occurring at gigs. BOOOOO!
>>

> Tch. You really should ditch that mime track, you know :)

Music goes in cycles though right? So I figure it's just about time for
Milli Vanilli to come back into style...

-OJ

Pessimist

Mar 22, 2004, 2:07:08 PM3/22/04

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:

Ace Golf (GC) - Makes smooth, relaxing pictures on my television set.
S(uper) M(onkey) B(all) (GC) - "Among 279 colorectal cancer patients,
consumption of bacon was high, and banana & papaya was low".

> Want:

Games with proper sound effects. These modern sampled sounds are of no use to
me. I want big bass bleeps.
Technical problems to solve themselves whilst I'm in the pub.

> Bin:

Nurses. It's your job to be young, and disarmingly cheerful, and have two soft
hands, and be knowingly sexy, and smell nice next to me. Sort it out, please, or
I'm not coming back.

Andrew Hollingbury

Mar 22, 2004, 3:12:31 PM3/22/04

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:

Final Fantasy X-2 - YRP GO! (I keep wanting to say YuRiPa, I'm SUCH a
saddo...) Literally finished chapter 1 a couple of minutes ago, and I'm
really enjoying this despite the occasional thwack-the-X-button battles. Is
there an accessory later on that speeds up AP acquisition? I get foolishly
excited whenever I learn new abilities. Paine is pleasingly like me (except
female and wearing bondage leather) and a nice foil to the Yuna-and-Rikku
idiocy.

Ratchet and Clank - um, started again using the save on the latest OPS2
disc. The Tesla Coil is BEST. Now I REALLY REALLY want the sequel, but I
know I really shouldn't buy it literally the day after I got FFX-2. When I
get back to uni and can "rent" it from GAME I might do.

> Want:

Ratchet and Clank 2, duh.
Jak 2 - I really despise Jak and Daxter. But for some reason I've decided I
want the sequel. WHY? It'll probably be rubbish!
Sly Raccoon 2 : Band of Thieves - I'm obviously in the midst of some
platform renaissance.
Xenosaga 2 blah blah blah RPGs blah
Syberia 2 - must be out soon.
Champions of Norrath/Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 - I don't have enough 2 player
games for the PS2, they sound mindlessly hack-and-slashy enough.

> Bin:

Having to go to Exeter for an optician's appointment. I need to waste 3
hours in Exeter city centre somehow. Bah.

Andrew H

Nathan

Mar 22, 2004, 3:35:16 PM3/22/04
oooooh he's here again...the man with OJLim in his eyes

> Music goes in cycles though right? So I figure it's just about time for
> Milli Vanilli to come back into style...

Well Busted aren't far off really.

Plus with the churn-it-out generic singers of the whole Pop-stars thing I'm
sure no-one would care anymore.

There was such an uproar with Milli Vanilli, but you know now people care
more about what they're doing in heat than the performance probably, so
people would just go "oh, really?" now.

--
Nathan.
Bow to the Cow!

Nathan

Mar 22, 2004, 3:38:36 PM3/22/04
oooooh he's here again...the man with Kramer in his eyes

> Dancing Stage Unleashed (Xbox): Some okay tunes, mixed with loads of
> Japanese weirdness. More physically demanding than paintballing.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~trspangl/files/aaroninjapan/yasu_max300
_feet_only.avi

or

http://tinyurl.com/2m49p

This might interest you.

This is my feet while playing DDR*

Anyway is there a full songlist for DSU? Some of the tracks seemed a bit
different to the usual UK DDR lists (kylie, spice girls et al) so I'm
curious about it, or whether I should just stick to my l33t DDR Extreme :)

Did you buy an Xbox mat? I really like my mat (as it has a sponge-inside
so that it stays flat and is easy on the feet), so I'd consider one of
those PS2->Xbox things.

* Lie. it's someone elses. Anyway this video makes me cry. But i am
getting a bit better.

Paul Tomlin

Mar 22, 2004, 4:21:33 PM3/22/04
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:12:31 -0000, "Andrew Hollingbury"
<a.holl...@OHNOukonline.co.uk> wrote:

>"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>>
>> Play:
>
>Final Fantasy X-2 - YRP GO! (I keep wanting to say YuRiPa, I'm SUCH a
>saddo...) Literally finished chapter 1 a couple of minutes ago, and I'm
>really enjoying this despite the occasional thwack-the-X-button battles. Is
>there an accessory later on that speeds up AP acquisition?

I believe there is, although it may be a pain to get, I didn't bother
myself I have to admit.

*sigh* It looks like I'm the only one who wasn't particularly grabbed
by this one, so obviously I'm completely wrong about it or something.

Well, okay, I kind of went from liking this, to hating this, to liking
it again by the end. Maybe one day I'll try it again, but given how
many games I seem to be buying I doubt I'll get time for some reason
^_^

Kramer

Mar 22, 2004, 4:36:08 PM3/22/04
Nathan wrote:
> oooooh he's here again...the man with Kramer in his eyes
>
>> Dancing Stage Unleashed (Xbox): Some okay tunes, mixed with loads of
>> Japanese weirdness. More physically demanding than paintballing.

> http://tinyurl.com/2m49p
>
> This might interest you.

Yeah it deffo would..... if I could watch the videos! When I click to watch,
it gives an error message.

> Anyway is there a full songlist for DSU? Some of the tracks seemed a
> bit different to the usual UK DDR lists (kylie, spice girls et al) so
> I'm curious about it, or whether I should just stick to my l33t DDR
> Extreme :)

There's only 35 songs, rather than your 110!

A couple of Blondie tunes

'This is Big Bro.....' - a Big Brovaz song (which I can't remember the name
of)

and Ebenezer Good are the licensed tracks I can think of.

All the rest is nuts Japanese dance music. Unfortunately, I'm not too into
this type of 'nuts', but it's fine for playing the game to.

> Did you buy an Xbox mat? I really like my mat (as it has a
> sponge-inside so that it stays flat and is easy on the feet), so I'd
> consider one of those PS2->Xbox things.

£29.99 including game and dance mat, from Toys R Us. I prefer the tunes on
my old PS version, and DSU is much harder from the default settings. Mat
seems pretty good.

Good fun in multiplayer though, and it pisses my mates off no end getting
high scores especially as I never dance at clubs.

Quality.

K.

Nathan

Mar 22, 2004, 4:55:15 PM3/22/04
oooooh he's here again...the man with Nathan in his eyes

> Also want Harvest Moon: I believe that DVDsoon haven't got any copies.
> Nothing can be "packing" for that long. At first it said "on order"
> when the release date had passed, so I reckon they just put everyone's
> game "packing" so they wouldn't get a load of pissed off pre-orderers
> emailing them.

PROOF THAT MOANING TO THE NEWSGROUP WORKS:

Harvest Moon: GESHIPPORIZED!

Nathan

Mar 22, 2004, 4:56:44 PM3/22/04
oooooh he's here again...the man with Kramer in his eyes

> and Ebenezer Good are the licensed tracks I can think of.

> All the rest is nuts Japanese dance music. Unfortunately, I'm not too
> into this type of 'nuts', but it's fine for playing the game to.

hehe seems like it's worth it for ebeneezer goode.

I actually like the "nuts" stuff just because it's that. It's almost like
part of the challenge to not start laughing at the music when you're
playing.

I assume the japanese stuff is probably your usual bunch of "konami's own".

Anyway ta for the info. Ł30 with mat is a good price really.

Chibi Ilpalazzo

Mar 22, 2004, 5:00:40 PM3/22/04
Nathan wrote:

HURRAH!

James Sutherland

Mar 22, 2004, 6:19:39 PM3/22/04
Paul Tomlin <kero...@btinternet.com> wrote in

>>Final Fantasy X-2 - YRP GO! (I keep wanting to say YuRiPa, I'm SUCH a
>>saddo...) Literally finished chapter 1 a couple of minutes ago, and
>>I'm really enjoying this despite the occasional thwack-the-X-button
>>battles. Is there an accessory later on that speeds up AP
>>acquisition?
>
> I believe there is, although it may be a pain to get, I didn't bother
> myself I have to admit.

There are a couple of items that'll help you gain AP, I think, but at
least one of them is mutually exclusive with getting 100% completion.
Not that anybody would ever get 100% completion on their first run
through the game anyway, at least not without a guide.

> *sigh* It looks like I'm the only one who wasn't particularly grabbed
> by this one, so obviously I'm completely wrong about it or something.

I can see why somebody wouldn't like it, but it just clicked with me from
the opening movie onwards. I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it,
except for one boss battle that ended in a thrown controller.

I wonder how close the translation is to the original? There were a fair
few cultural references in there (including a fairly long Scooby Doo gag
at one point). It had the feel of a Working Designs style translation to
me (not that that's a bad thing).

Tim Miller

Mar 23, 2004, 3:59:24 AM3/23/04
Chris Whitworth wrote:

>>> What *is* fever mode? Is it a worthwhile enough addition to the game
>>> to make me buy it?
>>
>> [description of fever mode]

I agree with James' description of how it changes the tactics. However,
there's another element. You want to keep near-ready groups together to try
and counter any atacks, but at the same time if you clear your playfield you
get an all-clear mode, where a huge pre-formed chain is dropped and you can
play to set it off. And if you do, you get a massive attack on your
opponent.

> Sounds interesting. Is the AI any good? None of the people I have
> around to play against would even come close to being worth playing
> against :)

The AI is really easy until half-way through the medium course, when it gets
bastard hard.

Chris Whitworth

Mar 23, 2004, 5:45:27 AM3/23/04
100% Tim Miller!

> The AI is really easy until half-way through the medium course, when it
> gets bastard hard.

Oh good :) The GBA version isn't really worth playing until you've unlocked
the bonus levels :)

Sprite

Mar 23, 2004, 6:54:06 AM3/23/04

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
>
> Play:

Final Fantasy X-2! Gonna go play some more in a bit. Fun game.

The "order as much stuff off the internet in one go and then get
super-excited when it arrives" game.

> Want:

HARVEST MOON! it will be here soooon!

> Bin:

The "finding a home for all the stuff I ordered" game. Oops.

--
Sue

El Dave

Mar 23, 2004, 11:01:41 AM3/23/04
Toby Newman wrote:
>>UT2004 (PC): Play still have my order marked as "processing".
>>Barstewards.
>
> Same, same...
>
> It is marked as "in stock" now though, and a mate just got the "Your UT2K4
> package has been posted" email.

I've just had an (unsolicited!) email from Play apologising for the
delay and letting me know that everyone's orders for UT2004 have been
fulfilled now - and a voucher code for £2 off my next purchase. Very
good of them and a nice surprise, considering I wasn't that bothered - I
only ordered it a few days before release date anyway!

Even by being late on this occasion (due to a "supplier delivery
problem" apparently), Play have still managed to impress me with their
service! Not something you can say for most firms...

Chris Whitworth

Mar 23, 2004, 11:18:55 AM3/23/04
100% El Dave!

> Toby Newman wrote:
>> It is marked as "in stock" now though, and a mate just got the "Your
>> UT2K4 package has been posted" email.
>
> I've just had an (unsolicited!) email from Play apologising for the
> delay and letting me know that everyone's orders for UT2004 have been
> fulfilled now - and a voucher code for £2 off my next purchase. Very
> good of them and a nice surprise, considering I wasn't that bothered - I
> only ordered it a few days before release date anyway!
>
> Even by being late on this occasion (due to a "supplier delivery
> problem" apparently), Play have still managed to impress me with their
> service! Not something you can say for most firms...

I got the same email. Yay for play!

Toby Newman

Mar 23, 2004, 11:41:28 AM3/23/04
# Chris Whitworth

> Yay for play!
> Chris

yay!

Steve Jackson

Mar 23, 2004, 12:12:17 PM3/23/04
Would you like a chocolate-covered pretzel Chris Whitworth?

>> I've just had an (unsolicited!) email from Play apologising for the
>> delay and letting me know that everyone's orders for UT2004 have been

>> fulfilled now - and a voucher code for ś2 off my next purchase. Very

>> good of them and a nice surprise, considering I wasn't that bothered - I
>> only ordered it a few days before release date anyway!
>>
>> Even by being late on this occasion (due to a "supplier delivery
>> problem" apparently), Play have still managed to impress me with their
>> service! Not something you can say for most firms...
>>

> I got the same email. Yay for play!

I got the same email too x 3. Same code in each though.

--
:: Steve Jackson - My site: http://tinyurl.com/iisf
:: Use Amazon? http://tinyurl.com/4kdn to help a preschool charity

Sprite

Mar 23, 2004, 1:44:12 PM3/23/04

"Andrew Hollingbury" <a.holl...@OHNOukonline.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Nobody's done one yet and it's after midday! So here goes:
> >
> > Play:
>
> Final Fantasy X-2 - YRP GO! (I keep wanting to say YuRiPa, I'm SUCH a
> saddo...) Literally finished chapter 1 a couple of minutes ago, and I'm
> really enjoying this despite the occasional thwack-the-X-button battles.
Is
> there an accessory later on that speeds up AP acquisition? I get
foolishly
> excited whenever I learn new abilities. Paine is pleasingly like me
(except
> female and wearing bondage leather) and a nice foil to the Yuna-and-Rikku
> idiocy.

<snip>

There are techniques you can use to get AP more quickly..... spoiler space,
read on if you want to find out more!

AP is aquired not just through battles but also by using certain abilities
in battle, specifically those that the character would've learnt in the
first place. For example (I'll pick Paine since you like her so much), with
the warrior dresssphere, using Sentinel gets you AP but it doesn't hurt the
enemy. So you can fight a really easy enemy whilst just using Sentinel and
build up your AP. Another one is the White Mage's Pray, providing it
restores HP and that they're not just at max.

I get excited too :-)

I think there's bound to be an accessory though, I'm only in chapter 2
myself but past experience tells me there will be. FF games always seem to
have them... I suspect it'll be a dresssphere maybe, since they were always
on weapons before. Just a hunch though!

Enjoy!

--
Sue

Sprite

Mar 23, 2004, 1:48:44 PM3/23/04

"James Sutherland" <ja...@guybrush.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:c3mmga$4n0$1
> @sparta.btinternet.com:
>
> > Play:
>
> Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - Finished it last night and immediately started
> playing it again. I really, really enjoyed this game. Going to play
> through a second time with a walkthrough, I think, so I can get 100%
> completion. Probably leave it for a few weeks, though.

There aren't many games I buy walkthroughs for, but the FF series is one of
them. I think it's a collectors' thing for me really, as I don't really use
it so much for the walthrough itself. I'm on the first runthrough of FFX-2
now and I only really glance at abilities and stuff.

Anyway, my point, the FFX-2 Official Walkthrough (piggyback I think) is
fantastic... like the other FF guidebooks in the series it's so pretty and
worth every penny. I just like owning them really... hehe.

Oh yeah, and it's full of detail blah blah blah and has a little section
listing exactly what you need for 100% in addition to telling you what
affects completion throughout the main walkthrough and the secrets section.

But they're so pretty....

--
Sue

James Sutherland

Mar 23, 2004, 2:04:58 PM3/23/04
"Sprite" <sue.k...@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Anyway, my point, the FFX-2 Official Walkthrough (piggyback I think)
> is fantastic... like the other FF guidebooks in the series it's so
> pretty and worth every penny. I just like owning them really... hehe.

Yeah, I got a couple of the walkthroughs for the earlier FF games, and
they're generally really nice. I might well get the FFX-2 one before I
play through it again. Good as GameFAQs is, a guide book is much more
convenient to use plus, as you say, you get a load of nice artwork with
them too.

Toby Newman

Mar 24, 2004, 3:13:07 AM3/24/04
# James Sutherland

> Yeah, I got a couple of the walkthroughs for the earlier FF games, and
> they're generally really nice. I might well get the FFX-2 one before I
> play through it again. Good as GameFAQs is, a guide book is much more
> convenient to use plus, as you say, you get a load of nice artwork with
> them too.

I usually dump .txt FAQs onto my palm, that makes gamefaqs a lot better.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Mar 24, 2004, 10:29:34 AM3/24/04
Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Woohoo! My first play want bin in months! And I'm late

> Play:
Beyond Good and Evil - PS2
I really like this. Except I'm in the factory and I've missed a fuse
somewhere and can't get back out :(

Magic the Gathering: Battlegrounds
Playing this two player with my oldest son - it's inane but fun
Crystal Chronicles: Four player with my missus and two boys is a gas
Final Fantasy X-2: The hottob scene. Rikku wants my white weewee

> Want:
Harvest moon. I'm hankering for turnips

> Bin:
Being back in a nine to five after a lovely four month sabbatical. I
don't have time to read news, ferchrissakes

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <chewbury...@nelefa.org>
Knight of the Wholly Gnarly Widget

DBSnappa

Mar 25, 2004, 6:53:06 AM3/25/04
chewbury...@nelefa.org (Sir Chewbury Gubbins) scribbled:

> Zomoniac <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Woohoo! My first play want bin in months! And I'm late
>
>> Play:
> Beyond Good and Evil - PS2
> I really like this. Except I'm in the factory and I've missed a fuse
> somewhere and can't get back out :(

I've heard (or read) posted on here that you can get another fuse to get out
of the factory, just continue to head forward (he says, having not started
the game yet!)

--
DBSnappa

ICQ 109045511
GamerTag DBSnappa

No god is a philosopher or seeker of wisdom, for he is wise already. Neither
do the ignorant seek after wisdom. For herein lies the evil of ignorance;
that he who is neither good nor wise is nevertheless satisfied with himself.