PWB Bonfire edition

1 view

Steve Jackson

Nov 5, 2007, 1:13:25 AM11/5/07
Play:

Tomb Raider Anniversary (PSP): Another game bought just because it was
cheap (£14.99 in Argos). I started it Saturday morning and was quite
enjoying it until the postman came and my head was turned by another PSP
title:

Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground (PSP): "If you build it, they will come."
I'm loving this very much, simple and repetitive yet so much fun. You
build a dungeon, wait for monsters to populate it, go in kill them and
then use the loot to buy more new rooms, twisty passageways, and other
features to encourage more dangerous yet rewarding monsters to move in.
Rinse and repeat. There is a loose plot and quests to complete as
well, and it claimed a large chunk of my weekend. I just wish there was
an option to turn off the awful in-game music.

Stranglehold (360): I nabbed this from Gamestation along with PES2008
for my son for only £39.99 for the pair. It's just as the demo
suggested, nothing earth shattering, but a nice and stylish,
straight-forward shooter. Good use of fancy slow-mo moves and the
precision shooting can be especially satisfying.

Heavenly Sword (PS3): But only briefly. I finally managed to beat Roach
yesterday morning at the first attempt after being completely stuck on
that part last week.

Want:

To stop buying games at my current rate. Especially the ones I buy them
just because they are cheap.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii).

And it wouldn't be my Want list without Time Crisis 4 (PS3).

Bin:

Game purchasing weakness.

Zomoniac

Nov 5, 2007, 3:31:10 AM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05 06:13:25 +0000, Steve Jackson <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> said:

> Play:

> Stranglehold (360):

This, under the same circumstance. It has its problems, like the camera
can do some really stupid stuff at times and the LT to interact with
stuff sometimes has very peculiar results, but it's an enjoyable enough
straight out shooter, with some cool set pieces and lots of big
explosions.

> Heavenly Sword (PS3):

And this. Started it and played up to what I presume is the end of
chapter two (Whiptail boss). It's hit and miss. The face-work is
absolutely phenomenal, every little movement is picked up, the shaders
are astonishing. They're so good they don't even have the zombie
effect. They're about as far ahead of Gears as Shenmue was ahead of
Virtua Fighter. But Nariko's hair is just weird. As for the game, it's
decent enough for a mindless hack 'n' slash with some incredibly basic
puzzles, but the AI is crap, the camera is crap and it's incredibly
linear. The production, the design of the cut-scenes and all the voice
acting is leagues ahead of any game I've ever seen before, but
ultimately the gameplay is a bit lacking.

FIFA 08 (360) - Challenge Mode 3 completed. It would be nice if just
once, ever, somebody didn't think they were better than me for scraping
a 2-1 win in a ranked Leeds vs Chelsea match.

PGR3 (360) - Finished career mode. Lovely.

GT5P demo (PS3) - It's like what I said about it t'other day. Perfect,
but too slow.

NFS Prostreet demo (360) - The sky is bright blue, which surprised me.
Decent enough, but with so many great racers around it's surplus to my
requirements.

PES2008 (360) - Got because it came with a free Stranglehold. Oh dear.
It's like watching a Benny Hill representation of football, with
cartoon characters running around at light-speed, bolt upright like
badly put together stick robots. The animation is just awful. Frankly
anyone who claims this to be like a real simulation of football has
clearly never, ever seen a football match.

> Want:

GT5, Singstar. And Heavenly Sword has made me want GoW3.

> Bin:

PES fanbois.

--
Zo

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 5, 2007, 3:31:17 AM11/5/07
In article <fgmcf3$15df$1...@energise.enta.net>,
Steve Jackson <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote:
>Play:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: The Shivering Isles (360) - I hereby call
a moratorium on game titles longer than four words. Joking aside, I'm very
happy this is out on disk media now. The Shivering Isles story is well
worth the price, and satisfying to play even with my high-level character.
I find myself most interested in the politics of the Shivering Isles,
where you have two distinct socio-political factions that are forced to
coexist by virtue of a dictatorship. Yes, it's only a video game, but this
sort of story detail is what renders my watercraft buoyant. And makes me
think of new ways to fix the Iraq problem. No, no hubris here. :)

Nanwaka Densetsu (DC) - I'm at something of a standstill since I don't
actually understand Japanese. I can identify where every bit of text is in
the binary code, I just don't know what any of it means. The monster names
are particularly annoying, as they're all four-character strings that
don't map well to English equivalents.

X-men vs. Street Fighter (SAT) - Ah, memories. Playing this game was just
like riding a bicycle, in that all my m@d ski11z came right back to me.
Using Ken and Ryu, I was able to run right up to Apocalypse and beat him
with no continues. I forgot that you end up having to fight your partner
at the very end in order to win the game properly.

Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter (SAT) - Spent some time with the
sequel as well, which is more challenging but more satisfying. And I love
the Norimaro character. I'm a little mad at myself because I let the
battery in my Japanese Saturn go, so I lost my previous save file with all
the fun fun characters unlocked. Can somebody explain to be where the hell
Shuma-Gorath came from, and if he's a Marvel or Capcom character?

Last Gladiators (SAT) - Speaking of lost save files... I had archived a
save onto one of my Saturn cartridges, but it's apparently from 1998. It
therefore lacks my Knights of the Rose and Samurai Warriors high scores,
which number in the billions. Wait, does the UK calculate a billion as a
thousand-million? I forget whether or not those words-for-numbers are
different before you hit a trillion.

>Want:

An Eee - Illogical technology lust continues unabated. Film at eleven

Infinite Undiscovery (360) - Found a trailer for this on Xbox Live while
hunting around for discounted downloads. Looks like Square/Enix's answer
to Monster Hunter, with real-time combat and possible instanced network
play a la Guild Wars, Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Online. But can
they pick a properly poetic English name before they print it, please?

A new Baldur's Gate game - What's left of Interplay still has the rights
to publish at least a half-dozen D&D games under the existing licence, so
I wish they would exercise their conractual rights and put something out.
Or barring that, reskin some other RPG and call it a Baldur's Gate game.
Anything that increases the number of available RPG titles on consoles is
a good thing in my book.

>Bin:

Not being able to go to the anime convention this weekend due to the lack
of funds - It's probably for the best, as I go to those things looking to
find import games and always leave with several not-so-rare Megadrive
games in hand that I don't remember I already own. Anybody want one of my
four NTSC copies of Shining in the Darkness? :)

-KKC, who screwed up his plan to get a 1337 Gamerscore.
--
-- Universal survival rule #109 - Chicken nuggets must be served -- kendrick
in a quantity that is also a prime number. Failure to do so will -- @io.com

WCZ

Nov 5, 2007, 4:03:28 AM11/5/07

"Zomoniac" <the_pro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

How can it be perfect with a but? Surely that makes it not perfect.

</pedant>

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 4:14:19 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Steve Jackson
<qwe...@qwerty.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Play:

Ico (PS2)
Am I the only one who finds this frustrating? Over all, I'm thinking it's 50%
beautiful and amazing, 50% annoying and stupid. I've just passed the
waterfall, and my saved game says 5 hours although because I had to redo bits
so many times yesterday the gap from 4 to 5 took over two hours. Main issues
are Yorda getting kidnapped as you have no way of telling how long you can
leave her alone for (and in different bits of the game it's different) and
dying because the camera flicks slightly to the side when you have to do a
jump (and miss). And back you go for miles again. GRR.

Phoenix Wright 3 (DS)
I'm on the last case now. That's Case 5, for those idiots here who were
saying it had 4 cases. Tch. And, it's a tie-up-loose-ends case, clearly -
everyone is back, and it looks like Phoenix's past, the location of Maya's
mum, and Edgeworth's secret are all going to be revealed. Amazing! And!
DRAMA! Phoenix is in hospital, leaving Rqtrjbegu gb or gur qrsrapr ynjlre.
Fantastic.

Um, that's all. I didn't get time for MySims or Zelda :(

>Want:

It would probably be quicker to list what I *don't* want. But, if I had to be
concise...

The Simpsons (360)
Orange Box (360)
Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Link's Terrorist Trainer (Wii)
Apollo Justice (DS)

>Bin:

Uncharted (PS3)
Looked pretty on Gamer.tv, but gameplay was a yawn-frenzy. The more I see of
it, the less I care.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 4:17:52 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
2007 02:31:17 -0600, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Kendrick Kerwin Chua
<kend...@nospam.io> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>>Want:
>
>An Eee - Illogical technology lust continues unabated. Film at eleven

Mine should be here this week \o/

The Rev

Nov 5, 2007, 4:25:19 AM11/5/07
Steve Jackson wrote:
> Play:

> Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground (PSP): "If you build it, they will come."
> I'm loving this very much, simple and repetitive yet so much fun. You
> build a dungeon, wait for monsters to populate it, go in kill them and
> then use the loot to buy more new rooms, twisty passageways, and other
> features to encourage more dangerous yet rewarding monsters to move in.
> Rinse and repeat. There is a loose plot and quests to complete as
> well, and it claimed a large chunk of my weekend. I just wish there was
> an option to turn off the awful in-game music.

I played some of this on Saturday morning. I've got the level two boss
hanging around now, but I'm not ready yet. Also, I've never played with
sound on and it's been fine, so try that if the music's too awful.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) - The method for unlocking
Symphony of the Night is just stupid, but I've done it now, so I've been
playing that. It's not that the Rondo remake is bad, it's very, very
difficult and SotN is lovely.

Nurikabe and Slitherlink (DS) - Lovely puzzle action. Mmmmm. I think
Slitherlink's the better puzzle, but Nurikabe's bite-sized puzzles make it
far more addictive.

> Want:

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP) - It's on the way. And the post just
came, so there's an outside chance of it being lying by the front door right
now. I'd expect it nearer the end of the week, though. ...And here comes the
boss with the post. Nothing for me.

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I hope this is more 64 than Sunshine. I really
didn't get on with Sunshine. Far too hard. Void levels were lovely, though.

Guitar Hero 3 (PS3) and Mass Effect (360) - My two Christmas list games. I
probably won't get either.

> Bin:

Scrabble Interactive 2007 Edition (DS) - Career mode gets far too hard far
too quickly. Computer's getting forty points a turn while I stare at a rack
full of vowels.

Pogo Island (DS) - Shit collection of shit minigames.

Marvel Trading Card Game (DS) - Twenty minutes of reading, followed by a
puzzle to solve to show I understand how to play. I don't. I really wanted
to get into this, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. The basic rules don't
seem overly complicated, but I obviously don't understand them because I
couldn't do the puzzle. Not helped by a horrible interface. (It's probably
absolutely fine when you know how it all works, but it's just baffling for me.)

The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (DS) - Everything about it now
seems like an annoying chore when I try to play. Not sure what happened there.

Throwing out so many game boxes and manuals when I moved. I know I don't
have room for them, so putting lots of games in wallets and boxes without
the packaging made sense, but it would be nice to have some of those manuals
now.

--
Xbox Live Gamertag: That Rev Chap
http://www.inverty.com

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 5, 2007, 4:31:45 AM11/5/07
In article <1tnti3h9ij2mjp87v...@4ax.com>,

deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
>2007 02:31:17 -0600, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Kendrick Kerwin Chua
><kend...@nospam.io> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>>Want:
>>
>>An Eee - Illogical technology lust continues unabated. Film at eleven
>
>Mine should be here this week \o/

Agh. Envy. Avarice. You going to leave it alone as a Xandros machine, or
will you throw some version of Windows on it for gaming purposes? Or will
you attempt to split the difference by running a VMWare installation?

-KKC, who lost the link with screenshots of a successful WOW installation
on an Eee...

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 4:39:38 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
2007 03:31:45 -0600, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do

uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Kendrick Kerwin Chua
<kend...@nospam.io> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>>Mine should be here this week \o/

>Agh. Envy. Avarice. You going to leave it alone as a Xandros machine, or
>will you throw some version of Windows on it for gaming purposes? Or will
>you attempt to split the difference by running a VMWare installation?

I doubt I'll be gaming on it at all, to be honest. Certainly won't touch it
with Windows either, but I will probably switch to a "full" GUI rather than
the "Easy Mode" one that it comes with by default.

Chris Stevens

Nov 5, 2007, 4:43:55 AM11/5/07
"The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Want:
>
> Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP) - It's on the way. And the post just
> came, so there's an outside chance of it being lying by the front door
> right now. I'd expect it nearer the end of the week, though. ...And here
> comes the boss with the post. Nothing for me.
>
> Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I hope this is more 64 than Sunshine. I really
> didn't get on with Sunshine. Far too hard. Void levels were lovely,
> though.

I think Sunshine got an unduly bad press. I thought it was a fine game, and
the FLUDD really added to the gameplay (although I can understand the
purists' objections).

> Guitar Hero 3 (PS3) and Mass Effect (360) - My two Christmas list games. I
> probably won't get either.

Just out of curiosity, why the PS3 version of GH3 rather than the 360?

>> Bin:

> The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (DS) - Everything about it now
> seems like an annoying chore when I try to play. Not sure what happened
> there.

<gasp> I think this is the first bad word I've heard said about it. I'm
still eagerly anticipating it. But not enough to have actually gone out and
bought it yet. :\

Chris.

GT: SomethingWitty

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 4:41:19 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk The Rev
<the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I hope this is more 64 than Sunshine. I really
>didn't get on with Sunshine. Far too hard. Void levels were lovely, though.

But! Void! Levels! Only! Hard! Bits! Of! Game![1]

YOU CONFUSE ME.

[1] Oh, and getting one of the shines on the Pachinko machine. I'll give you
that too.

The Rev

Nov 5, 2007, 4:47:26 AM11/5/07
Chris Stevens wrote:
> "The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Guitar Hero 3 (PS3) and Mass Effect (360) - My two Christmas list games. I
>> probably won't get either.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why the PS3 version of GH3 rather than the 360?

Wireless guitar as standard. Quite an important consideration with a kitten
in the house.

>> The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (DS) - Everything about it now
>> seems like an annoying chore when I try to play. Not sure what happened
>> there.
>
> <gasp> I think this is the first bad word I've heard said about it. I'm
> still eagerly anticipating it. But not enough to have actually gone out and
> bought it yet. :\

I don't know what happened. The game's still the same, but now it's just
pissing me off. The moment I get stuck I turn off, instead of enjoying the
puzzle.

The Rev

Nov 5, 2007, 4:50:50 AM11/5/07
deKay wrote:
> <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I hope this is more 64 than Sunshine. I really
>> didn't get on with Sunshine. Far too hard. Void levels were lovely, though.
>
> But! Void! Levels! Only! Hard! Bits! Of! Game![1]
>
> YOU CONFUSE ME.

Well, I didn't get too far through the game, but I couldn't seem to do any
of the levels open to me. There was an annoying bit behind a rollercoaster
with flip gates where the camera kept jumping around and some level with a
time limit to get up a cliff or something. I don't really remember. None of
the void levels had troubled me too much up to that point.

Chris Whitworth

Nov 5, 2007, 4:55:15 AM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05, Steve Jackson <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote:
> Play:

World of Warcraft (PC) - Not so much this weekend, but still consuming most of
my evening gaming hours, because I can largely play it in a distracted fashion
whilst watching TV. I /think/ I'm levelling much faster than last time around.
I definitely remember spending weeks in Darkshore first time, and I seem to
have almost completely bypassed Ashenvale. Spent a lot more time in the
Redridge mountains, though. Maybe I've just got more efficient in my levelling.

Brane Traneing (Wii) - Was fully intending to not buy any more games for aages
but I was in a bad mood on saturday morning and needed retail therapy. It's
entertaining but, uh, there's not much to it, is there? You can do a test, or
practise the individual bits of the test, and... well, that's about it. Some
of the puzzles are fucking tricky, though.

Super Paper Mario (Wii) - The other half of Saturday's retail therapy, and a
much more satisfying purchase than Brain Training. It's a bit lightweight,
but the 2D/3D flipping thing is a really nice idea and there's some lovely
imaginitive level design in there. Except for that stupid bit with the
hamster wheel. Who decided that was a good idea? Anyway, hooray for silly
anarchic humour in games and also hooray for platform games that aren't mind
buggeringly difficult. And also hooray for games that I can play from the
comfort of my sofa more than 2" from the screen: All XBox360 games ever, I'm
looking at you, right?

> Want:

> Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground (PSP): "If you build it, they will come."

You have me intruiged. This sounds intruiging.

Super Mario Galaxy. 10/10 review on Eurogamer, friend in Japan raving about it
like it's the second coming of Christ. Which, given that it's the spiritual
successor to Mario 64, it may as well be.

A Wavebird, so I can go back and replay all my GC games from the comfort of
my sofa, as it occurs that it was an amazing console with shitloads of great
games that I never really dug into properly.

Disgaea PSP to turn up.

> Bin:
>
> Game purchasing weakness.

Hamster wheels.

Chris
--
Gamertag: parm * BRING BACK BLUE SKY IN GAMES *

"Back when I was young, we had to travel back in time to put the tape in so
the game would load before we died."

Chris Whitworth

Nov 5, 2007, 4:57:36 AM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05, The Rev <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> (Sunshine) Void levels were lovely, though.

YOU ARE SO WRONG.

I liked Sunshine other than that, mind, although the tightrope bits were a
pain in the arse.

Koalaboy

Nov 5, 2007, 5:06:45 AM11/5/07
Steve Jackson wrote:
> Play:

PGR 4 (360): I'm just not in the mood for a car game right now, which is
a shame, because this is stunning. Absolutely stunning. It'll go back,
as it's a rental, but I may pick it up at retail next year when I feel
the need for racing.

> Want:

The following, which will all drop through the letterbox in the next
month (amongst others).

Call of Duty 4 (PS3)
Ratchet and Clank (PS3)
Super Mario Galaxies (Wii)
Assassin's Creed (PS3)
Mass Effect (360)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)

Also want holiday... which luckily will occur just after all of the
above have arrived.

> Bin:
>
> Game purchasing weakness.

Indeed !! I'm broke. Completely so.

Also:

Eternal Sonata (360): No motivation to come back to this. Looks nice,
sounds nice, but bored me.
Conan (PS3): Same as above.
Skate (PS3): Umm, same again.
Stranglehold (360): Can you see the pattern here ?

All of the above will be traded for Guitar Hero 3 on the PS3.

Gareth Robert Halfacree

Nov 5, 2007, 5:05:54 AM11/5/07
Steve Jackson wrote:
> Play:
Orange Box (X360) & Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
They didn't arrive on Friday, damnit; though that did give me a chance
to finish Halo 3. Hoping they'll turn up today, as it's now been over a
week since I ordered them.

> Want:
See above. Also an Xbox 360 Force-Feedback wheel, but not at current
prices.

> Bin:
Work. As per.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk

Stewart Smith

Nov 5, 2007, 5:18:22 AM11/5/07
Haven't done one of these for a while.

Play:
Super Paper Mario (Wii): Cragley Ho! Two more hearts to get.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS): Great stuff, lovely comedy moment during
the cut scene at the end of the Ghost Ship. Unfortunately got to do
another run through of the Ocean King's Temple now.

Want:
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): Must finish SPM first though.

Bin:
By the looks of it, chapter 6 of SPM, do I really have to svtug 100
onqqvrf va n ebj? I think I'll go do some side quest stuff.

Shak

Nov 5, 2007, 5:22:13 AM11/5/07

"Steve Jackson" <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote in message
> Play:

God of War 2. Managed to squeeze in a couple of hours this weekend, but
still not as much as I wanted to. Hopefully I'll have this done before SMG
arrives. GOW2 itself is fab although there are a few bits where I wonder why
I'm playing (often between cutscenes...)

PW3. Still on the supermega last case, and still loving it.

> Want:

Mario Galaxy. EG has a review and I want it quick.

> Bin:

Nothing.

Shak

Shak

Nov 5, 2007, 5:26:58 AM11/5/07
"deKay" <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05
> Nov
> 2007 06:13:25 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Steve Jackson
> <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Play:
>
> Ico (PS2)
> Am I the only one who finds this frustrating? Over all, I'm thinking it's
> 50%
> beautiful and amazing, 50% annoying and stupid. I've just passed the
> waterfall, and my saved game says 5 hours although because I had to redo
> bits
> so many times yesterday the gap from 4 to 5 took over two hours. Main
> issues
> are Yorda getting kidnapped as you have no way of telling how long you can
> leave her alone for (and in different bits of the game it's different) and
> dying because the camera flicks slightly to the side when you have to do a
> jump (and miss). And back you go for miles again. GRR.

You're not the only one who thought that about the game, but probably the
only one carrying on playing in spite of that. Personally, I finally "got"
the game (with respect to its controls) over half way through, and before I
did I was frustrated with it.

Shak

Shak

Nov 5, 2007, 5:37:39 AM11/5/07

"Chris Whitworth" <usenet...@parm.net> wrote in message

> On 2007-11-05, The Rev <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> (Sunshine) Void levels were lovely, though.
>
> YOU ARE SO WRONG.
>
> I liked Sunshine other than that, mind, although the tightrope bits were a
> pain in the arse.
>
> Chris

Uh? I thought the lovability of the void levels were universal?

Shak

Dr. Glyndwr

Nov 5, 2007, 5:45:43 AM11/5/07
The Rev wrote:
> Chris Stevens wrote:
>> "The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Guitar Hero 3 (PS3) and Mass Effect (360) - My two Christmas list
>>> games. I probably won't get either.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why the PS3 version of GH3 rather than the 360?
>
> Wireless guitar as standard. Quite an important consideration with a
> kitten in the house.

The 360 version has wireless as standard too. You're confusing it with
Rock Band, I think.

I'm pondering 360-vs-PS3 for GH3 too. Dunno which version to go for.

Koalaboy

Nov 5, 2007, 5:52:38 AM11/5/07

This is one game where the console 'noise' doesn't really matter. I
settled on the PS3 version because the DLC can be bought with money
rather than points, and I have more hard-disk space at my disposal.

I was very close to getting the Wii version for the added 'speaker'
effect, and inbuilt wireless (will the PS3 and 360 versions need extra
batteries ?) but after reading about the sound lacking, and the graphics
being worse than the PS2 version, gave up on that idea.

Chris Stevens

Nov 5, 2007, 5:55:05 AM11/5/07
"Steve Jackson" <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote in message
> Play:

Halo 3 (360)
Nice to be back into the swing of things. The rest of the world seems to
have raised their game over the last 3 weeks, however. Ouch.

Tiger Woods 08 (360)
Finally converted the last remaining bronzes on the Tiger Challenge to
silver or better. I think that that part of the game is finished for me now,
as I'll *never* get golds on some of the challenges (I'm thinking
particularly about the Bingo Bango Bongo rounds against unfair AI).

Tetris Evolution (360)
Nice change of pace for late in the evening, and the first Tetris game since
the Gameboy version that I haven't absolutely hated. Not sure about all the
wanky different game types, and the emphasis placed on T-spins, but good and
enjoyable nonetheless.

PGR3 (360)
This was a fairly shambolic attempt at a first game with one of my newly
online friends. We couldn't stay in the same room for more than a few
minutes, and his voice comms were all over the place. I think he needs to
look at his router.

PGR4 (360)
Bought for me by the good lady wife as a bribe to get my hair cut (I've
habitually kept it short in recent years, but was toying with the idea of
growing it out a bit, and was in the everso attractive 'tufty' phase). I may
be shorn now, but it was worth it. ;) Super-lovely, swish and slick, this is
a very, very nice game. I like the bikes, especially as they seem a million
times easier to build big Kudos scores with. I've not had a chance to play
it too much yet, just finishing the first chapter of arcade and the first
set of races in the career. I'm not sure I understand the way the garages
and unlocking vehicles work yet - I bought some cars from the PGR shop, but
not all of them appeared selectable prior to my next race. I'm sure I'll get
my head around it soon enough - it's no doubt just me being stoopid.

> Want:

The Orange Box (360)
This must be acquired. Soon.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
Less pressing, but a big want nevertheless.

Tomb Raider Anniversary (360)
I'm feeling strangely drawn to this. I liked TR:L a lot, and this has been
getting fairly positive reviews. Surely not to be sniffed at at that budget
price?

> Bin:

Choices/Blockbusters
Went to trade Bioshock for Orange Box yesterday, to be told that they
couldn't take any trade-ins at the minute because they're in the process of
switching over to the Blockbuster system. I fear that this may be the end of
stupidly generous trade-in prices. :( I went, on the off-chance, to Game to
see what they would offer, and swiftly walked out in disgust.

Dan Harding, Fabian Wilnis, Jason De Vos, David Wright (RL)
Shambles, the lot of you.

Chris.

GT: SomethingWitty

The Rev

Nov 5, 2007, 6:05:08 AM11/5/07
Dr. Glyndwr wrote:
> The Rev wrote:
>> Chris Stevens wrote:
>>> "The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Just out of curiosity, why the PS3 version of GH3 rather than the 360?
>>
>> Wireless guitar as standard. Quite an important consideration with a
>> kitten in the house.
>
> The 360 version has wireless as standard too. You're confusing it with
> Rock Band, I think.

Oh, that makes things more complicated. Hmm.

> I'm pondering 360-vs-PS3 for GH3 too. Dunno which version to go for.

I'm now leaning toward the 360 version. I like Achievements. And the
leaderboards will be better populated on the 360 version.

Mind you, the PS3 is region free, so any foreign spin-offs would work on the
PS3. Not sure if there will be any, but you never know.

Oh, I dunno. I've asked for the PS3 version, so might as well leave it at
that unless something comes up.

Beck

Nov 5, 2007, 6:19:37 AM11/5/07

"Steve Jackson" <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote in message
> Play:

PLAY

The Simpsons Game (360). I put this in the play bit, but I actually
finished it last night. Brilliant game, certainly the best Simpsons game so
far IMO. Such a funny game with hundreds of nods to videogames past and
present. It was a delight to play.

Timeshift (360). This game has surprised me. The demo level was not
awesome but the game is really quite enjoyable. Graphically it looks great
with some good varied level locations. Not been overly difficult so far
except for one particular section which forced me to put the game down for
24 hours. Having gone back to it I finished the hard bit and carried on.
Probably not inspiring enough to be contender for game of the year, but its
a solid FPS with a few puzzles based around time shifing - pause, rewind,
forward.

WANT

November is always a big month and it annoys me. Had probably 6 months of
slow games then they all come at once in one month.

Ratchet and Clank (PS3). Not much can be said about Ratchet and Clank, I
just want to play it.

Call of Duty 4 (360) Initially ordered 360 version then changed my mind to
PS3 version now changed my mind back to 360 version. This dithering has
probably cost me a place in the preorder queue.

Assassins Creed (PS3) Is it going to be a hyped up lemon?

Mass Effect (360) Can't wait for this. Loved the KOTOR series and know it
will be similar to that.

Uncharted Drakes Fortune (PS3) Lara Croft meets Indiana Jones, but I don't
care, it looks good.

BIN

Painful sensitive teeth :-(

Dr. Glyndwr

Nov 5, 2007, 6:20:25 AM11/5/07
Koalaboy wrote:

> Dr. Glyndwr wrote:
>> I'm pondering 360-vs-PS3 for GH3 too. Dunno which version to go for.
>
> This is one game where the console 'noise' doesn't really matter. I
> settled on the PS3 version because the DLC can be bought with money
> rather than points, and I have more hard-disk space at my disposal.

That's a good point.

I hear from reviews that the 360's online play is much better, and it
has achievements. Personally, I don't care about online play very much,
and I refuse to allow myself to start to care about achievements!

> I was very close to getting the Wii version for the added 'speaker'
> effect, and inbuilt wireless (will the PS3 and 360 versions need extra
> batteries ?)

I'm sure they do, as I understand the 360 one just takes AAs like all
360 controllers. That's fine by me as I have a stack of NiMHs in
rotation. Dunno about the PS3 version.

> but after reading about the sound lacking, and the graphics
> being worse than the PS2 version, gave up on that idea.

Me too. It's either PS3 or 360.

If the PS3's wireless guitar worked with GH1/2 PS2 in backwards
compatability mode, I'd get it for that, no question. But it appears
that it does not, although I've not seen any definitive answers to that
on the forums. I am thinking that it makes more sense to get GH3 and
Rock Band on the same platform (as they are promising the guitars will
be compatable, so I only need to get two), and Rock Band will be neater
on the PS3 because of the four USB ports meaning you don't need the
extra trailing USB hub you will on the 360.

Decisions, decisions.

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 6:42:37 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov

uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk The Rev
<the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Well, I didn't get too far through the game, but I couldn't seem to do any

>of the levels open to me. There was an annoying bit behind a rollercoaster
>with flip gates where the camera kept jumping around

I never understand this at all. Every single time discussion comes up about
Sunshine, someone ALWAYS mentions the camera being crap at this point in the
game. I didn't have a single problem, because I used the manual camera
controls. Did everyone else forget they were there or something?

Mind you, when running around on Sunshine, I tend to "steer" using the camera,
instead of moving Mario left and right, IYSWIM.

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 6:43:09 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Stewart Smith <nos...@ee.ed.ac.uk>

fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Haven't done one of these for a while.

>Bin:
>By the looks of it, chapter 6 of SPM, do I really have to svtug 100
>onqqvrf va n ebj?

No, you don't :)

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 6:44:42 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk The Rev
<the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>> Just out of curiosity, why the PS3 version of GH3 rather than the 360?
>
>Wireless guitar as standard. Quite an important consideration with a kitten
>in the house.

But it has those huge plectrum-shaped receivers! That dangle out the front of
your PS3! And tease kittens!

The Rev

Nov 5, 2007, 6:48:28 AM11/5/07
deKay wrote:
> <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> Well, I didn't get too far through the game, but I couldn't seem to do any
>> of the levels open to me. There was an annoying bit behind a rollercoaster
>> with flip gates where the camera kept jumping around
>
> I never understand this at all. Every single time discussion comes up about
> Sunshine, someone ALWAYS mentions the camera being crap at this point in the
> game. I didn't have a single problem, because I used the manual camera
> controls. Did everyone else forget they were there or something?

As I remember, it was a timed section and there was no time to line up the
camera to make the next jump using the manual controls.

Not using manual controls - Mario falls back down because the camera's in a
stupid position.

Using manual controls - Mario falls back down because I can't line the
camera up in time.

> Mind you, when running around on Sunshine, I tend to "steer" using the camera,
> instead of moving Mario left and right, IYSWIM.

I think I used to do that, too.

Chris Stevens

Nov 5, 2007, 6:50:49 AM11/5/07

>>Well, I didn't get too far through the game, but I couldn't seem to do any
>>of the levels open to me. There was an annoying bit behind a rollercoaster
>>with flip gates where the camera kept jumping around
>
> I never understand this at all. Every single time discussion comes up
> about
> Sunshine, someone ALWAYS mentions the camera being crap at this point in
> the
> game. I didn't have a single problem, because I used the manual camera
> controls. Did everyone else forget they were there or something?

You have to admit, though, that even with the manual camera controls, that
particular bit was harder than it should have been had the camera been
'right'. It was a struggle to complete, where other similar sections without
camera difficulties were a breeze. Not, for me, a game breaker, but I do
understand the complaints that everyone in the world (except you) have about
it.

Chris.

GT: SomethingWitty

Stewart Smith

Nov 5, 2007, 6:51:10 AM11/5/07
deKay wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
> 2007 10:18:22 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Stewart Smith <nos...@ee.ed.ac.uk>
> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> Haven't done one of these for a while.
>> Bin:
>> By the looks of it, chapter 6 of SPM, do I really have to svtug 100
>> onqqvrf va n ebj?
>
> No, you don't :)

Phew. I got about 5 in the last time before deciding I'd played long
enough for the day. If it had been done like the excellent wrestling
chapter of Paper Mario 2 it might have been more fun.

Stew

Chris Whitworth

Nov 5, 2007, 7:09:11 AM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
> 2007 09:47:26 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk The Rev
><the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>> Just out of curiosity, why the PS3 version of GH3 rather than the 360?
>>
>>Wireless guitar as standard. Quite an important consideration with a kitten
>>in the house.
>
> But it has those huge plectrum-shaped receivers! That dangle out the front of
> your PS3! And tease kittens!

I think we're all missing the main point here, which is: where are all the
pictures of The Rev's kittens with captions like "ON UR KONSOL PLAYIN UR
GAMEZ" on and that? Mmm?

Shak

Nov 5, 2007, 7:17:36 AM11/5/07
"deKay" <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05
> Nov
> 2007 09:50:50 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk The Rev
> <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Well, I didn't get too far through the game, but I couldn't seem to do any
>>of the levels open to me. There was an annoying bit behind a rollercoaster
>>with flip gates where the camera kept jumping around
>
> I never understand this at all. Every single time discussion comes up
> about
> Sunshine, someone ALWAYS mentions the camera being crap at this point in
> the
> game. I didn't have a single problem, because I used the manual camera
> controls. Did everyone else forget they were there or something?
>
> Mind you, when running around on Sunshine, I tend to "steer" using the
> camera,
> instead of moving Mario left and right, IYSWIM.

I don't recall having problems here either - but like you I always had a
digit on the camera controls. I do the same in all games with manual
controls.

Shak

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 7:30:57 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 5 Nov
2007 11:50:49 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk "Chris Stevens"
<ne...@thestevensfamily.plus.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>You have to admit, though, that even with the manual camera controls, that
>particular bit was harder than it should have been had the camera been
>'right'.

No, I can't admit that, because it wasn't hard at all. I managed it on my
second attempt (IIRC).

>It was a struggle to complete, where other similar sections without
>camera difficulties were a breeze. Not, for me, a game breaker, but I do
>understand the complaints that everyone in the world (except you) have about
>it.

I can understand it would be difficult if I had problems with the camera, but
I didn't :)

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 7:31:55 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
09:57:36 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
yawatina tan reek esk Chris Whitworth <usenet...@parm.net> fornis do

marikano es bono tan el:

>YOU ARE SO WRONG.

No, you are. An entire game which is just void levels would be amazing. I
would even break my £25 rule for one.

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 7:35:55 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
09:55:15 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,

yawatina tan reek esk Chris Whitworth <usenet...@parm.net> fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>Brane Traneing (Wii) - Was fully intending to not buy any more games for aages

>but I was in a bad mood on saturday morning and needed retail therapy.

WHAT

Is this out already?! I thought it wasn't due until next year? Nintendo
advertise the hell out of the DS version (which has been out ages), but don't
mention the Wii one? Pff.

>It's
>entertaining but, uh, there's not much to it, is there? You can do a test, or
>practise the individual bits of the test, and... well, that's about it. Some
>of the puzzles are fucking tricky, though.

Are they the same puzzles as the DS game(s)? Well, clearly some aren't (no
mic).

Chris Whitworth

Nov 5, 2007, 7:45:59 AM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
> 09:55:15 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
> yawatina tan reek esk Chris Whitworth <usenet...@parm.net> fornis do
> marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Brane Traneing (Wii) - Was fully intending to not buy any more games for aages
>>but I was in a bad mood on saturday morning and needed retail therapy.
>
> WHAT
>
> Is this out already?! I thought it wasn't due until next year? Nintendo
> advertise the hell out of the DS version (which has been out ages), but don't
> mention the Wii one? Pff.

Sorry, I clearly meant Big Brain Academy. Sorry to get you all excited.

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 7:58:14 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
12:45:59 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,

yawatina tan reek esk Chris Whitworth <usenet...@parm.net> fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

> Sorry to get you all excited.

I hear that a lot :(

QT

Nov 5, 2007, 8:18:11 AM11/5/07
Chris Whitworth wrote:
> On 2007-11-05, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
>> 09:55:15 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
>> yawatina tan reek esk Chris Whitworth <usenet...@parm.net> fornis do
>> marikano es bono tan el:
>>
>>> Brane Traneing (Wii) - Was fully intending to not buy any more games for aages
>>> but I was in a bad mood on saturday morning and needed retail therapy.
>> WHAT
>>
>> Is this out already?! I thought it wasn't due until next year? Nintendo
>> advertise the hell out of the DS version (which has been out ages), but don't
>> mention the Wii one? Pff.
>
> Sorry, I clearly meant Big Brain Academy. Sorry to get you all excited.
>
> Chris

No excitement here so no worries. Couldn't care less about the Wii.

qt

Toby Newman

Nov 5, 2007, 9:00:01 AM11/5/07
> Play:

Pro Evo 4 (XB)
Still playing in my race-to-china tournament on XBL. It's cool to work
through every single team because you really get a good feel for how
they all differ.

Compiz fusion (PC)
Following a dist-upgrade to kubuntu gutsy I now have the above working. Who
would have thought it would be so fun that it basically dominated my whole
weekend.

> Want:

Wiimote support to mature in linux so that I can use it to control my box
whilst it's sending images to the telly. I'm thinking this would work really
well with ScummVM.

> Bin:

NVidia's waning support of 3D stereo.
My having bought 3D shutter glasses when I got an ATI card, rueing the day,
waiting until I needed to upgrade, buying an NVidia card, and getting one
just ONE GENERATION LATE for NVidia's 3D stereo support to work.

--
-Toby

Toby Newman

Nov 5, 2007, 9:00:01 AM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>>Play:
> Ico (PS2)
> Am I the only one who finds this frustrating? Over all, I'm thinking it's 50%
> beautiful and amazing, 50% annoying and stupid. I've just passed the
> waterfall, and my saved game says 5 hours although because I had to redo bits
> so many times yesterday the gap from 4 to 5 took over two hours. Main issues
> are Yorda getting kidnapped as you have no way of telling how long you can
> leave her alone for (and in different bits of the game it's different) and
> dying because the camera flicks slightly to the side when you have to do a
> jump (and miss). And back you go for miles again. GRR.

I had none of those problems: You can leave Yorda unattended for precicely
"not long", so just don't do it, okay? I honestly don't remember a single
camera niggle.
The whole game was enjoyably easy (it must have been - I played it whilst
recovering from general anaesthetic).

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 5, 2007, 9:13:07 AM11/5/07
In article <slrnfitrb5...@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de>,

Toby Newman <goo...@asktoby.com> wrote:
>On 2007-11-05, deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>>>Play:
>> Ico (PS2)
>> Am I the only one who finds this frustrating? Over all, I'm thinking it's 50%
>> beautiful and amazing, 50% annoying and stupid. I've just passed the
>> waterfall, and my saved game says 5 hours although because I had to redo bits
>> so many times yesterday the gap from 4 to 5 took over two hours. Main issues
>> are Yorda getting kidnapped as you have no way of telling how long you can
>> leave her alone for (and in different bits of the game it's different) and
>> dying because the camera flicks slightly to the side when you have to do a
>> jump (and miss). And back you go for miles again. GRR.
>
>I had none of those problems: You can leave Yorda unattended for precicely
>"not long", so just don't do it, okay? I honestly don't remember a single
>camera niggle.

I've actually suspended my play exactly where deKay is now, at or around
the waterfall. You end up having to leave Yorda in a completely different
room while you run around climbing ladders and pushing switches and making
tea so that the big aquaduct valves open up the right way. Maybe I missed
an obvious place for her to stand while I do all this so that she doesn't
feel lonely and unappreciated.

-KKC, who needs to play God of War 2, Twilight Princess and about a dozen
FPS games to be caught up with the rest of the group. :)
--
-- Universal survival rule #109 - Chicken nuggets must be served -- kendrick
in a quantity that is also a prime number. Failure to do so will -- @io.com
result in a geometric disturbance conducive to the resurrection of Cthulhu.
Disregard this rule if the meat in the nuggets is not actually chicken.

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 9:22:05 AM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Toby Newman <goo...@asktoby.com>

fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>I had none of those problems: You can leave Yorda unattended for precicely
>"not long",

I left her for a good half an hour in the sewer, and she was fine. After the
East Reflector bit, you have to climb a large ladder to hit a switch to drop a
bridge. I got to the top of the ladder as Yorda was about half way up, the
switch was just inside the next room, I pulled it, and Yorda was nabbed right
away. Net time away from her: 3 seconds.

>so just don't do it, okay?

I've found three places so far where it's impossible *not* to leave her for a
relatively long period.

>I honestly don't remember a single
>camera niggle.

The jump to the chain just past the waterfall was the worst - you can't line
up and have to do it at an almost isometric view, then, as you're about to
jump, the camera swings round to view the chain right in front of you, by
which time you've committed and so you die.

>The whole game was enjoyably easy (it must have been - I played it whilst
>recovering from general anaesthetic).

Admittedly, my main difficulty is perhaps with the controls.

Kendrick Kerwin Chua

Nov 5, 2007, 9:30:44 AM11/5/07
In article <m49ui3p307npmdmit...@4ax.com>,

deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
>2007 14:00:01 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Toby Newman <goo...@asktoby.com>
>fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>I honestly don't remember a single
>>camera niggle.
>
>The jump to the chain just past the waterfall was the worst - you can't line
>up and have to do it at an almost isometric view, then, as you're about to
>jump, the camera swings round to view the chain right in front of you, by
>which time you've committed and so you die.

This is easier than you think. You don't have to position Honry Harry any
particular way, as he will automatically leap towards the chain if you
don't touch the analog stick when you hit the button. It's rather like the
automatic jump in Burning Rangers, in that it's counter-intuitive on the
surface. I had no trouble with the chain(s) once I figured that out.

-KKC, doing fun things with Robohelp.

Shak

Nov 5, 2007, 9:54:49 AM11/5/07
"Kendrick Kerwin Chua" <kend...@nospam.io> wrote in message

> In article <m49ui3p307npmdmit...@4ax.com>,
> deKay <an...@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>The jump to the chain just past the waterfall was the worst - you can't
>>line
>>up and have to do it at an almost isometric view, then, as you're about to
>>jump, the camera swings round to view the chain right in front of you, by
>>which time you've committed and so you die.
>
> This is easier than you think. You don't have to position Honry Harry any
> particular way, as he will automatically leap towards the chain if you
> don't touch the analog stick when you hit the button. It's rather like the
> automatic jump in Burning Rangers, in that it's counter-intuitive on the
> surface. I had no trouble with the chain(s) once I figured that out.

It's the same with combat and other jumping tasks. Once you figure out the
nuances of the control scheme (which really isn't that conventional) it's a
joy to play.

Shak

Mal F

Nov 5, 2007, 10:48:59 AM11/5/07
In article <fgmcf3$15df$1...@energise.enta.net>, qwe...@qwerty.invalid
says...
> Play:

Crysis Demo (PC) - rather enjoyable, if short demo. Definitely
considering it. Looks tasty on the new PC too.

Bioshock (PC) - finally finished this after restarting it from scratch
when I bought my new PC instead of merely copying over my saved games.
Tbg gur tnzr raqvat sbe crbcyr jub fnir gur yvggyr fvfgref - gb sngvthrq
jvgu guvf gb fgneg ntnva naq xvyy gurz ng gur zbzrag gubhtu.

Far Cry (PC) - bought this in early 2005 to play on my then new PC from
Mesh. But had trouble with that PC and when i finally got a replacement
that didn't BSOD all the bloody time I was too busy playing Dark Age Of
Camelot.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit, graphics were pretty good, the
ability to choose your route to your goal, choose whether to stealthily
bypass enemies or go in "all guns blazing" but bloody hell it's a long
game.

Had the same game cliche as Bioshock jurer gur sevraqyl crefba
thvqvat lbh nybat gur tnzr gheaf bhg gb or whfg nf zhpu bs n ivyynva nf
gur znva ivyynva.

Painkiller (PC) - another old game that I've never got to the end of,
due to a problem with the PC before the Mesh one. However, I'm taking my
time with this game and playing others as this one is rather tiring as
it's in the same vein as Serious Sam where you enter an area, get locked
in and then fight off hordes of monsters before being allowed to move
on.

Quake Wars (PC) - only played this for twenty minutes in the past month.
Decided to try the engineer class which builds turrets to hurt enemy
players - fun enough and I'll endeavour to play more this week.

> Want:

Crysis (PC)

Warhammer Online Beta (PC)

Another week off...no two...no three etc to play more
unfinished/unplayed games - Pariah (PC) is next on the list.

> Bin:

Money being tight due to wife's unemployment

A week off not being long enough

Christmas incoming (the expense not the receiving pressies bit though)

--
Quake Wars: http://stats.enemyterritory.com/profile/Malkomm
XFire: http://profile.xfire.com/malkomm

Rach

Nov 5, 2007, 11:21:26 AM11/5/07
Chris Stevens wrote:
> "The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Want:
>> Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP) - It's on the way. And the post just
>> came, so there's an outside chance of it being lying by the front door
>> right now. I'd expect it nearer the end of the week, though. ...And here
>> comes the boss with the post. Nothing for me.
>>
>> Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I hope this is more 64 than Sunshine. I really
>> didn't get on with Sunshine. Far too hard. Void levels were lovely,
>> though.
>
> I think Sunshine got an unduly bad press. I thought it was a fine game, and
> the FLUDD really added to the gameplay (although I can understand the
> purists' objections).

I really didn't like Sunshine. Its probably the only Mario game along
with Mario Bros 2 that I didnt like.

Animal Crossing - 060 242 305 520, Rachel in Aldera
Mario Kart - 442 443 634 105
Tetris - 036 829 294 623
42 ATC - 536 950 274 327
My Wii - 0342 9378 8490 9253

Paul Evans

Nov 5, 2007, 11:33:34 AM11/5/07
Play:

The Signing On Game (RL): Yep, I'm now officially a scrounger :-(. Actually,
my appointment with the Job Centre was quite productive, and I've been given
the details of a couple of Manchester-based admin jobs that I will be
applying for tomorrow. Apparently I have to apply for two jobs a week (which
is more or less what I've been doing since February anyway) and take three
steps a week to further my jobhunting process (again, as I do daily jobsite
searches via a multitude of search engines, it goes a hell of a lot further
than three steps). Wasn't quite as painful as I remember from 2001, but then
I've had a lot of work experience since then.

As I expected, however, there isn't any real training options open to me,
because apparently, I'm more than skilled enough for most admin/marketing
jobs (although from past experience, not skilled *enough* to even be called
in for an interview for said jobs), although I've arranged to see their
careers advisor to see what else I should be looking at. The downside is,
because I've waited so long to actually put in a claim, I don't qualify for
contributions-based JSA, just the regular JSA, which has some nasty strings
attached, i.e. I have to accept any minimum-wage job offered to me. Having
said that, minimum wage is a lot higher than it was in 2001, so it's
certainly a livable wage under my circumstances.

Oblivion (PC): I think I must be a glutton for punishment because over the
weekend I started yet another new game. Now considering that my previous two
attempts had ended up being totally corrupted at 370 and 50 hours
respectively, I'm being a lot more tentative this time around. The only mod
I have running (other than official mods) is the "No persistent enchantment
glow" mod which has never given me any trouble in the past. One mod that I
suspect was the cause of all my troubles of late was the "Carry four times
more loot" mod which I forgot to turn off when I started a new game last
time. However, only time will tell of course.

Want:

SimCity Societies (PC): So it may not be the extensive city-management sim
that all the SC purists are after, but seeing as the last SC game I played
was SC2000, I'm not being put off by that. SCS looks like being a lot of fun
in its own way.

A job, naturally.

Bin:

Bonfire Night: How is tonight going to differ from the last 28 days of yobs
shoving fireworks up their arses?

Paul.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 5, 2007, 12:01:50 PM11/5/07
Steve Jackson the Monkey was never naughty:
> Play:

A little bit of phantom hourglass, otherwise nothing really. Gaming
ennui ftw.

> Want:

Nothing, until I read the Mario Galaxy review on Eurogamer this morning.
So, that.

> Bin:

Cars. Timing belt died this morning. Nice consumable part. Costs about
25 quid. Sadly, when it dies, it tends to take the whole fecking engine
with it. As it did in my case. So, once the garage calls back, it's
time to decide if it's paying the grand bill or buying a new car.

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins <cho...@chewbury.net.invalid>
... Blog : http://www.nelefa.org

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 5, 2007, 12:04:29 PM11/5/07
Toby Newman the Monkey was never naughty:

Yup - I think the problem Mr Kay is having is that he's not suitably
paniced. The point of the game is NOT to solve the puzzles and get out
of the castle - that's secondary. The point of the game is to SAVE THE
GIRL. So you only leave her if you absolutely must and for the bare
minimum of time.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 5, 2007, 12:15:54 PM11/5/07
Chris Whitworth the Monkey was never naughty:
> On 2007-11-05, The Rev <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> (Sunshine) Void levels were lovely, though.
>
> YOU ARE SO WRONG.

NO HE IS NOT!

I would have been 100% delighted with Sunshine if the WHOLE GAME had
been comprised of fluddless puzzle levels.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 5, 2007, 12:17:40 PM11/5/07
QT the Monkey was never naughty:

Thanks for posting that - you added so much to the thread.

I seem to have completely given up on BBA for some reason - haven't
played it in weeks. Probably because you all sent in scores that were
double mine :)

jochta

Nov 5, 2007, 12:26:13 PM11/5/07
Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
> Steve Jackson the Monkey was never naughty:
>> Play:
>
> A little bit of phantom hourglass, otherwise nothing really. Gaming
> ennui ftw.
>
>> Want:
>
> Nothing, until I read the Mario Galaxy review on Eurogamer this morning.
> So, that.
>
>> Bin:
>
> Cars. Timing belt died this morning. Nice consumable part. Costs about
> 25 quid. Sadly, when it dies, it tends to take the whole fecking engine
> with it. As it did in my case. So, once the garage calls back, it's
> time to decide if it's paying the grand bill or buying a new car.
>
> Choobs

I would blame owner rather than car as it was owner error that didn't
get the belt changed at the specified interval in the car's literature.

Having had one go on me when I was 19 in my first car and when I didn't
know better (luckily the car was on exhaust stroke when it went and the
repair wasn't too expensive) I am now insistent that they are changed at
the right time and check that they have been.

Trousers

Nov 5, 2007, 12:30:16 PM11/5/07
Steve Jackson wrote:
> Play:

I bought a Wii so;

Wii Sports : Everybody loves it - even the mother in Law. Clearly broken
though as the wife has the highest score.

Excite Truck : I was ready to struggle with the control method but it's
totally intuitive. And the jumping and the boosting and the everything
is all good so far.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves : The wife and the child love it and it's been
worth it so far for the Marks & Spencer voiced bloke doing the form
introductions.

Also played

PGR4 (360) : Up to 15th in Career and tried a Superstar Arcade race on a
motorbike - much harder than the cars that discipline.

Pinball FX (360) : The new free table for a couple of goes. Worth it for
nowt that's for sure.

> Want:

To know if Tiger Woods 08 is any good before I crack the cellophane on
it. Got it bundled with the console from Game along with Fifa 08 which
they swapped for Excite Truck easy enough. Anyone got an opinion?

Super Mario Galaxy. Obviously.

> Bin:
>
> Game purchasing weakness.

Console purchasing weakness.

Chris Stevens

Nov 5, 2007, 12:43:08 PM11/5/07
"Trousers" <get...@bibble.com> wrote in message

>> Want:
>
> To know if Tiger Woods 08 is any good before I crack the cellophane on it.
> Got it bundled with the console from Game along with Fifa 08 which they
> swapped for Excite Truck easy enough. Anyone got an opinion?

I can't speak definitively about the '08 iteration, but '07 was a major
disappointment to me. Not, you understand, in terms of content, because it
had plenty of courses, game modes and options, but purely in terms of the
feel of the swing. Given that that one simple mechanic is central to
everything you do in the game, if it is broken then the game's broken. What
might be worth doing is to check the IGN review of '08, because they pretty
much nailed what the problems were with '07. If they say that the swing is
massively improved, then I say yeah, break the seal. If they don't then keep
it virgin and ditch it. :)

Chris.

GT: SomethingWitty

Toby Newman

Nov 5, 2007, 1:00:01 PM11/5/07
On 2007-11-05, Mal F <spa...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> In article <fgmcf3$15df$1...@energise.enta.net>, qwe...@qwerty.invalid
> says...
>> Play:
>
> Crysis Demo (PC) - rather enjoyable, if short demo. Definitely
> considering it. Looks tasty on the new PC too.

Gosh, it's good, isn't it?
I was pulling an acceptable 25FPS I guess and it did really look stunning,
especially when you get to watch sunrise. Those faces in the cutscenes
looked like CGI.

I don't think I'll buy it, yet. I'll wait until one or two upgrade's time
in order to do it justice.

> Far Cry (PC) - bought this in early 2005 to play on my then new PC from
> Mesh. But had trouble with that PC and when i finally got a replacement
> that didn't BSOD all the bloody time I was too busy playing Dark Age Of
> Camelot.

I skipped this one for the same reason I'm skipping Crysis now. A few years
on, I'm wondering if I should load it up an play it. I could probably
buy it for about 40p these days.

DBSnappa

Nov 5, 2007, 1:00:27 PM11/5/07

Or buy a car that has a timing chain, not a belt.

jochta

Nov 5, 2007, 1:14:17 PM11/5/07

My current one has a chain :)

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 1:52:00 PM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
17:17:40 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
yawatina tan reek esk Sir Chewbury Gubbins
<chewbury...@nelefa.org.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>I seem to have completely given up on BBA for some reason - haven't
>played it in weeks. Probably because you all sent in scores that were
>double mine :)

Well, I haven't played it in ages because I can't seem to get any time on the
Wii these days.

Bloody MySims. Grr.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

"Zomoniac is wrong"

deKay

Nov 5, 2007, 1:50:50 PM11/5/07
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
17:04:29 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,

yawatina tan reek esk Sir Chewbury Gubbins
<chewbury...@nelefa.org.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Yup - I think the problem Mr Kay is having is that he's not suitably

>paniced. The point of the game is NOT to solve the puzzles and get out
>of the castle - that's secondary. The point of the game is to SAVE THE
>GIRL. So you only leave her if you absolutely must and for the bare
>minimum of time.

But there's no way of knowing if you must leave her, or you've missed
something so shouldn't need to.

[ste parker]

Nov 5, 2007, 2:42:48 PM11/5/07
deKay wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
> 2007 06:13:25 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk Steve Jackson
> <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>> Play:
>
> Ico (PS2)
> Am I the only one who finds this frustrating? Over all, I'm thinking it's 50%
> beautiful and amazing, 50% annoying and stupid. I've just passed the
> waterfall, and my saved game says 5 hours although because I had to redo bits
> so many times yesterday the gap from 4 to 5 took over two hours. Main issues
> are Yorda getting kidnapped as you have no way of telling how long you can
> leave her alone for (and in different bits of the game it's different) and
> dying because the camera flicks slightly to the side when you have to do a
> jump (and miss). And back you go for miles again. GRR.

I found it frustrating at times, then I just realised it'd be easier to
keep her by my side at virtually all possible times which worked a lot
better. If I'd have known beforehand it was a 10+ hour game I probably
wouldn't have persevered, but knowing it was less game me reason to get
through it. It was all a bit less inspiring and heartwarming than I'd
been led to believe, I'll put it that way!

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

[ste parker]

Nov 5, 2007, 2:47:08 PM11/5/07
The Rev wrote:
>> Play:
>>

> Nurikabe and Slitherlink (DS) - Lovely puzzle action. Mmmmm. I think
> Slitherlink's the better puzzle, but Nurikabe's bite-sized puzzles make
> it far more addictive.

What's Nurikabe then? And what's bite-size? I generally take less than
10 mins for anything Slitherlink's thrown at me yet (ploughing through
the 18x10's at the moment) which doesn't seem overly chunky.

> Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - I hope this is more 64 than Sunshine. I

> really didn't get on with Sunshine. Far too hard. Void levels were
> lovely, though.

More 64 from what I read, but than I wouldn't have said Sunshine was
that hard either - I found it consistently just about right. I've never
really managed to ever get into Mario 64 yet.

> Throwing out so many game boxes and manuals when I moved. I know I don't
> have room for them, so putting lots of games in wallets and boxes
> without the packaging made sense, but it would be nice to have some of
> those manuals now.

I'm shedding a tear right now for the sacrifice, a game should never
have to be seperated from it's box & manual, it's like losing it's soul!

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

[ste parker]

Nov 5, 2007, 2:48:23 PM11/5/07
The Rev wrote:
> Chris Stevens wrote:
>> "The Rev" <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (DS) - Everything about it
>>> now seems like an annoying chore when I try to play. Not sure what
>>> happened there.
>>
>> <gasp> I think this is the first bad word I've heard said about it.
>> I'm still eagerly anticipating it. But not enough to have actually
>> gone out and bought it yet. :\
>
> I don't know what happened. The game's still the same, but now it's just
> pissing me off. The moment I get stuck I turn off, instead of enjoying
> the puzzle.

I get this every time I have to deal with the main dungeon, it's putting
me off doing the other bits as I don't want to find out the next thing I
have to do is go back there again :(

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

[ste parker]

Nov 5, 2007, 2:50:22 PM11/5/07
Rach wrote:

> I really didn't like Sunshine. Its probably the only Mario game along
> with Mario Bros 2 that I didnt like.

That the "not really Mario Bros" Mario 2? And Sunshine was a fine game!

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

[ste parker]

Nov 5, 2007, 2:52:32 PM11/5/07
deKay wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 05 Nov
> 2007 09:50:50 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.misc, yawatina tan reek esk The Rev
> <the_rev_y...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> Well, I didn't get too far through the game, but I couldn't seem to do any
>> of the levels open to me. There was an annoying bit behind a rollercoaster
>> with flip gates where the camera kept jumping around
>
> I never understand this at all. Every single time discussion comes up about
> Sunshine, someone ALWAYS mentions the camera being crap at this point in the
> game. I didn't have a single problem, because I used the manual camera
> controls. Did everyone else forget they were there or something?

Even using that, I found that section to be very arsey with regards to
the limits of where you could actually move the camera to given the
close proximity of various surfaces.

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

[ste parker]

Nov 5, 2007, 2:58:43 PM11/5/07
Beck wrote:

> "Steve Jackson" <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote in message
>> Play:
>>

> PLAY
>
> The Simpsons Game (360). I put this in the play bit, but I actually
> finished it last night. Brilliant game, certainly the best Simpsons
> game so far IMO. Such a funny game with hundreds of nods to videogames
> past and present. It was a delight to play.
>
> Timeshift (360). This game has surprised me. The demo level was not
> awesome but the game is really quite enjoyable. Graphically it looks
> great with some good varied level locations. Not been overly difficult
> so far except for one particular section which forced me to put the game
> down for 24 hours. Having gone back to it I finished the hard bit and
> carried on. Probably not inspiring enough to be contender for game of
> the year, but its a solid FPS with a few puzzles based around time
> shifing - pause, rewind, forward.

I suppose someone's got to make up the far reaches of a bell curve ;)

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

Trooper

Nov 5, 2007, 3:43:43 PM11/5/07
In article <fgnloh$vpm$1...@aioe.org>, davidjb...@REMOVEMEhotmail.com
says...

Or buy a car with a non-interference engine, or buy a pedal bike, or
walk, or my personal favourite buy an old luxobarge which you drive till
it breaks and then buy another.

Currently on an XJ6, having been through a 520i, a 530i and an LS400 in
the past 5 years. Total cost of ownership of all four cars, including
purchase and servicing (but not petrol) = £1800.

Rach

Nov 5, 2007, 4:00:37 PM11/5/07
Steve Jackson wrote:
> Play:

Phoenix Wright 3 (DS)- Up to the third case. I thought the second case
was rubbish, but I accidently ran into a spoiler on DeKay's blog which
probably spoilt it for me. Anyway I'm hoping this next case will be better!

LocoRoco (PSP) - I decided to get this after reading very good reviews
and I agree, its a good little game. Very addictive and for some reason
I love the music!

GTA: LCS (PSP) - Still playing this, don't seem to get much time to play
though...I have the same problem with my Wii at the moment :(

> Want:

Tomb Raider - Anniversary (PSP)
A 360
Guitar Hero 3 (Wii)
Mario Galaxy (Wii)
SimCity Societies (PC)

> Bin:

Having no time to play on my Wii

James Sutherland

Nov 5, 2007, 4:23:22 PM11/5/07
Steve Jackson <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote in news:fgmcf3$15df$1
@energise.enta.net:

> Play:

Castlevania (PSP) - Got to the second half of Symphony yesterday.
Despite having played it through twice before, it's still absolutely
fantastic. Good as they are, they've never quite recaptured the
brilliance with the GBA and DS games. Trying to unlock the PC Engine
game, but the 3D remake is really hard. Plays okay, but looks fairly
ropey. The graphics are far too dark, and turn to mush as soon as they
move on the PSP's screen. Despite not being designed for the system,
Symphony is a lot better in this regard.

Also playing Monster Hunter 2 on the PSP and the odd bit of Zelda, which
is annoying me slightly because my DS won't calibrate in a way that lets
me roll right yet still touch things in the middle of the screen with
any accuracy.

> Want:

Mario, obviously.

Zak and Wiki (Wii) - This sounds great, but has come out at a stupid
time of the year. There're just an insane number of games coming out in
the next week or so, in fact. Just next week in the US, we have: Mario &
Sonic, Bladestorm, Sonic Rivals 2, Soul Calibur Legends, Assassin's
Creed, Orcs & Elves, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Contra 4 and
Godzilla Unleashed, all of which I'm interested in. My solution is to
just buy Mario and try to avoid the rest.

> Bin:

Nothing.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 6, 2007, 2:17:22 AM11/6/07
jochta the Monkey was never naughty:

> I would blame owner rather than car as it was owner error that didn't
> get the belt changed at the specified interval in the car's literature.

Had the specified interval been reached, the owner would undoubtedly
have changed the timing belt, as he's been stung by this before. Given,
though, that the timing belt is not due to be changed for another 20,000
miles, the owner feels perfectly justified in blaming the pile of shit
:-/

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 6, 2007, 2:18:37 AM11/6/07
deKay the Monkey was never naughty:

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 5 Nov 2007
> 17:04:29 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do uk.games.video.misc,
> yawatina tan reek esk Sir Chewbury Gubbins
><chewbury...@nelefa.org.invalid> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Yup - I think the problem Mr Kay is having is that he's not suitably
>>paniced. The point of the game is NOT to solve the puzzles and get out
>>of the castle - that's secondary. The point of the game is to SAVE THE
>>GIRL. So you only leave her if you absolutely must and for the bare
>>minimum of time.
>
> But there's no way of knowing if you must leave her, or you've missed
> something so shouldn't need to.

Yes! And there's the beautiful dilemma of the game! The whole "do I risk
it?" thing.

WCZ

Nov 6, 2007, 3:40:04 AM11/6/07

"Chris Stevens" <ne...@thestevensfamily.plus.com> wrote in message

> "Trousers" <get...@bibble.com> wrote in message
>>> Want:
>>
>> To know if Tiger Woods 08 is any good before I crack the cellophane on
>> it. Got it bundled with the console from Game along with Fifa 08 which
>> they swapped for Excite Truck easy enough. Anyone got an opinion?
>
> I can't speak definitively about the '08 iteration, but '07 was a major
> disappointment to me. Not, you understand, in terms of content, because it

Have you got your versions confused here? I played the TW08 demo and I'd
say the swing is broken in 08 not in the 07 version which I thoroughly
enjoyed. The demo prevented me from buying the game in any case.

In conclusion. TW08 < TW07.

Chris Stevens

Nov 6, 2007, 3:52:22 AM11/6/07
"WCZ" <Dav1...@willnotwork.com> wrote in message

>>> To know if Tiger Woods 08 is any good before I crack the cellophane on
>>> it. Got it bundled with the console from Game along with Fifa 08 which
>>> they swapped for Excite Truck easy enough. Anyone got an opinion?
>>
>> I can't speak definitively about the '08 iteration, but '07 was a major
>> disappointment to me. Not, you understand, in terms of content, because
>> it
>
> Have you got your versions confused here? I played the TW08 demo and I'd
> say the swing is broken in 08 not in the 07 version which I thoroughly
> enjoyed. The demo prevented me from buying the game in any case.
>
> In conclusion. TW08 < TW07.

I think we're talking about the Wii version here. I was, anyway. :) As you
say though, on the 360 versions, '07 is close to perfection, but '08 has
annoyed many people with the increased swing sensitivity. Personally, I
still like it a lot.

Chris.

GT: SomethingWitty

WCZ

Nov 6, 2007, 4:11:02 AM11/6/07

"Chris Stevens" <ne...@thestevensfamily.plus.com> wrote in message

Ah, yes, Mr. Trousers needs to go on a post clarity course when referring to
multiple consoles. Or I could be an idiot. Cross out whatever is not
applicable.

> Chris.
>
> GT: SomethingWitty

Mal F

Nov 6, 2007, 5:42:06 AM11/6/07
In article <slrnfiugce...@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de>,
goo...@asktoby.com says...

> On 2007-11-05, Mal F <spa...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > In article <fgmcf3$15df$1...@energise.enta.net>, qwe...@qwerty.invalid
> > says...
> >> Play:
> >
> > Crysis Demo (PC) - rather enjoyable, if short demo. Definitely
> > considering it. Looks tasty on the new PC too.
>
> Gosh, it's good, isn't it?
> I was pulling an acceptable 25FPS I guess and it did really look stunning,
> especially when you get to watch sunrise. Those faces in the cutscenes
> looked like CGI.
>
> I don't think I'll buy it, yet. I'll wait until one or two upgrade's time
> in order to do it justice.

decided to bite bullet and ordered the collector's edition from game. my
3.2GHz (overclocked) quad core and 8800GTX should be sufficient for me
:-)

> > Far Cry (PC) - bought this in early 2005 to play on my then new PC from
> > Mesh. But had trouble with that PC and when i finally got a replacement
> > that didn't BSOD all the bloody time I was too busy playing Dark Age Of
> > Camelot.
>
> I skipped this one for the same reason I'm skipping Crysis now. A few years
> on, I'm wondering if I should load it up an play it. I could probably
> buy it for about 40p these days.

definitely recommend it - can get it from £1.99 + p&p from amazon
marketsellers - recommend dling the patches for it too (think last one
is 1.4) as the later ones added the previously xp 64-bit version only
features for 32-bit users as PCs by then were up to the task (better
graphics and more insects and birds)

mal

hurricanepilot

Nov 6, 2007, 6:11:20 AM11/6/07
On Nov 5, 6:13 am, Steve Jackson <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote:
> Play:

> Stranglehold (360): ... Good use of fancy slow-mo moves and the
> precision shooting can be especially satisfying.

Having completed the game I can safely assure you that shooting people
in the heed in slow-mo *NEVER* gets boring. Level 2 is
uncharacteristically long btw, so don't use it as a yardstick for
subsequent levels.

A day late, but:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary (360) - Over-solving puzzles FTL! I keep
getting to the end of levels in a decent time, then I spend about an
hour fucking about with switches trying to work out where I've got to
go next...cue forehead-slapping incident when the obvious makes itself
painfully...um...obvious. A good Tomb Raider fix, especially if you've
never played, or have forgotten, the original. I'm ignoring the
achievements on this one as there's so much to buy at the
moment...still pangs a little when I screw up a boss fight or a QT
section though.

Eye Of Judgment (PS3) - It's lacking a private online game mode, but
swift invites and intially obscure room settings seem to be the key to
playing against friends. Great fun, and the rumours about a star wars
or transformers theme at a later date are getting me a little too
excited.

PGR4 (360) - I've got the "TV on the Radio" song going through my head
right now. Currently at rank 17 in the career mode. I've nothing but
praise for this game.

> Want:

Assassins Creed (PS3)

Guitar Hero (360) - I'm toying with delaying this till crimbo and
adding it to my christmas list, but I don't know as I can wait that
long.

Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Haze and Kane and Lynch are all also on
the radar for this side of christmas, but the collectors edition of AC
and the wireless guitar bundle for GH2 are about all I'll be able to
get past the wife this month.

COD4 (360) - I may just grab this for the multiplayer, and trade it in
in a few weeks when everyone gets distracted by the next wave of
games.

> Bin:

My dead 360 gamepad. I've never killed a gamepad before, but I've worn
the pads to nubs, the X button don't work much any more and the left
stick stays in a forward position when I let go of it.

I was going to say having to use google groups to post, but I'm having
a hard time working out what I don't like about it. Sure, you can see
my email address, and my spam drawer is now registering hundreds
instead of tens of messages, but none of it hits my inbox so no harm
done.

Toby Newman

Nov 6, 2007, 9:00:01 AM11/6/07

I imagine petrol (and insurance) is pretty high on those, though?

Toby Newman

Nov 6, 2007, 9:00:01 AM11/6/07

Quite. I had one fail and got the garage to pay for it since they didn't
suggest it be changed at the previous service, when it was due.

Trooper

Nov 6, 2007, 9:07:19 AM11/6/07
In article <slrnfj050k...@ID-171443.user.uni-berlin.de>,
goo...@asktoby.com says...

MPG ranges between 22-30mpg across all of them, but considering my other
car at the time did 15mpg, I was over the moon with that ;)

Insurance isn't actually too bad, the LS400 was the worst at £450 for a
30yr old with 3 points and 6 years no claims. I pay £250 on my Nissan
Micra 1.3 in comparison.

Russell Marks

Nov 6, 2007, 9:11:28 AM11/6/07
Steve Jackson <qwe...@qwerty.invalid> wrote:

> Play:

Escape From Monkey Island (PS2) - well, I did finish it, but had to
resort to consulting an FAQ a few times. :-( I was hoping the puzzle
solutions wouldn't be quite as nonsensical as in the original games,
and to be fair most weren't, but that's the problem I have with the
adventure genre really - it only takes one puzzle to be beyond you for
whatever reason and you're utterly stuck.

Polarium Advance (GBA) - finished off the last couple of puzzles in
Daily Polarium... which unlocked 16 more in Polarium Reference. Bah. I
think I'd have preferred the 365 puzzles in Daily mode being The Lot
rather than having a bunch more crazy-hard puzzles to do.

> Want:

Puzzle Quest (PS2) - if it's not on CD. But it probably will be.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto (PS2) to arrive. This sounds very MDK-ish but
some enthusiastic comments convinced me to give it a shot despite
that. I just hope it's not as relentlessly hard as that was.

> Bin:

Escape From Monkey Island freezing on me a couple of times. Even with
my obsessive saving I still lost half an hour one time.

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PS2) - a sort of MGS-meets-Splinter-Cell
but with more emphasis on combat than stealth. It seemed a bit
mediocre and rather overrated to me (but then so do MGS and Splinter
Cell) and like the original PS1 Syphon Filter it's *much* too keen on
spawning enemies when you reach certain points, which makes it all
feel very forced and artificial. Anyway, it wasn't actually terrible
or anything, but it did get quite tedious at times and I'm glad I got
it cheap.

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror at one point making you navigate narrow
planks over instant-death sludge pits with floaty imprecise controls -
and if you get anywhere near the edge of the plank you slide off. Ugh.

-Rus.

jochta

Nov 6, 2007, 9:14:29 AM11/6/07
Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
> jochta the Monkey was never naughty:
>> I would blame owner rather than car as it was owner error that didn't
>> get the belt changed at the specified interval in the car's literature.
>
> Had the specified interval been reached, the owner would undoubtedly
> have changed the timing belt, as he's been stung by this before. Given,
> though, that the timing belt is not due to be changed for another 20,000
> miles, the owner feels perfectly justified in blaming the pile of shit
> :-/
>
> Choobs

Presumably the car was new and this was the first time it was due to be
changed? Or maybe if it's 2nd-hand the previous owner didn't get it changed?

If it hasn't made it to the time to be changed and it was a genuine part
then I would get onto the manufacturer. Sounds like a warranty job
and/or the belt wasn't of satisfactory quality and you can claim under
the SoGA.

Dr. Glyndwr

Nov 6, 2007, 9:21:20 AM11/6/07
hurricanepilot wrote:
> Assassins Creed (PS3)
>
> Guitar Hero (360) - I'm toying with delaying this till crimbo and
> adding it to my christmas list, but I don't know as I can wait that
> long.

If you don't mind me asking, why your relative choices of platform
there? I have much the same decision to make soon...

Koalaboy

Nov 6, 2007, 9:33:54 AM11/6/07

I've just decided to go with the 360 version over the PS3 for the
following reasons:

1) I can buy the GH2 bundle, then the GH3 disk, and *NOT HAVE TO BOTHER
WITH FECKING BATTERIES*.

There. That's said it. What stupidity decided that moving to wireless
without the option to have a wired version, was all that anyone needed ?

(And this ignoring the fact that apparently 5 buttons and a pick bar are
too much bandwidth for bluetooth, whereas two analog multidirectional
sticks, a D-Pad, and many buttons are apparently fine - thus requiring
silly dangly-dongles).

Yes, I'll end up paying a bit more, but I'll actually get more tracks to
play, having never played GH2.

Oh, and some very occasional multiplayer with people I know ;)

hurricanepilot

Nov 6, 2007, 10:17:49 AM11/6/07

That was just a mistake, sorry. I'll buy both games on the 360.

However, in order to maybe facilitate your decision making process:

The specific reason for getting GH3 on the 360 is that I know a number
of other people that will be getting the game, most of which only have
a 360. With multiplayer/leaderboards in mind, it's the obvious choice
for me.

As for AC (and for that matter any other game that is available on
both platforms,) I'll chose the 360 because of the achievements and
the fact that background voice chat is always available. Even when
playing single player games, I've a few friends that I'll spend hours
yapping to. Something that, at present, can't be done on the PS3
without there being specific support within the game.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Nov 6, 2007, 10:23:43 AM11/6/07
jochta the Monkey was never naughty:
> Sir Chewbury Gubbins wrote:
>> jochta the Monkey was never naughty:
>>> I would blame owner rather than car as it was owner error that didn't
>>> get the belt changed at the specified interval in the car's literature.
>>
>> Had the specified interval been reached, the owner would undoubtedly
>> have changed the timing belt, as he's been stung by this before. Given,
>> though, that the timing belt is not due to be changed for another 20,000
>> miles, the owner feels perfectly justified in blaming the pile of shit
>> :-/
>>
>> Choobs
>>

> Presumably the car was new and this was the first time it was due to be
> changed? Or maybe if it's 2nd-hand the previous owner didn't get it changed?

Second hand car, and as far as I'm aware, a timing belt is counted as a
consumable and therefore not covered by the warranty. Though I could be
wrong.

DBSnappa

Nov 6, 2007, 10:49:03 AM11/6/07
Steve Jackson wrote:
> Play:

A whole day late...
Half Life 2, Ep 1 (360) It's still Half Life, but feels curiously
constricted compared to the original game. It was enjoyable if bloody
short at <4hrs to get through it in save times, add a little more for
deaths.

GW:RE (360) got within 100k of my highscore. I think I understand what's
required to beat it, just not sure I have the skill to do so ;)

> Want:

SMG
COD4 (360)
Assassin's Creed (360)

a few others that can wait until the holidays now.

> Bin:

shitty net connections

[ste parker]

Nov 6, 2007, 4:46:27 PM11/6/07
Mal F wrote:

> definitely recommend it - can get it from £1.99 + p&p from amazon
> marketsellers - recommend dling the patches for it too (think last one
> is 1.4) as the later ones added the previously xp 64-bit version only
> features for 32-bit users as PCs by then were up to the task (better
> graphics and more insects and birds)

I had to give up when I got to the top of the ship not that far in as I
died somewhere in the region of 50 times then gave up entirely.

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

[ste parker]

Nov 6, 2007, 4:49:36 PM11/6/07
hurricanepilot wrote:

> As for AC (and for that matter any other game that is available on
> both platforms,) I'll chose the 360 because of the achievements and
> the fact that background voice chat is always available. Even when
> playing single player games, I've a few friends that I'll spend hours
> yapping to. Something that, at present, can't be done on the PS3
> without there being specific support within the game.

What, you can talk to other people via the 360 (with the headset?) who
you're not playing a game with whilst you are?

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

Gareth R Halfacree

Nov 6, 2007, 5:27:18 PM11/6/07
Gareth Robert Halfacree wrote:
> Orange Box (X360)

Portal = Game of the Year, If Not Decade. That is all.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk

The Rev

Nov 7, 2007, 4:04:49 AM11/7/07
[ste parker] wrote:
> The Rev wrote:
>>
>> Nurikabe and Slitherlink (DS) - Lovely puzzle action. Mmmmm. I think
>> Slitherlink's the better puzzle, but Nurikabe's bite-sized puzzles
>> make it far more addictive.
>
> What's Nurikabe then? And what's bite-size? I generally take less than
> 10 mins for anything Slitherlink's thrown at me yet (ploughing through
> the 18x10's at the moment) which doesn't seem overly chunky.

Easier to see it than explain it. Look here -

http://www.nikoli.com/en/puzzles/nurikabe/

Most puzzles right now take me two or three minutes, though the odd one has
taken longer.

--
Xbox Live Gamertag: That Rev Chap
http://www.inverty.com

Dr. Glyndwr

Nov 7, 2007, 4:09:08 AM11/7/07

Yes. Press the Guide button, go to your Friends list, select Invite to
Private Chat.

hurricanepilot

Nov 7, 2007, 4:26:05 AM11/7/07

Well yeah. you just bring up the dash with the guide button, select a
friend, and select "invite to private chat". Doesn't matter what
they're playing, they'll be able to join your chat and you can both
carry on as you were.

It's why I occasionally log on in "stealth" mode, as there are people
on my list that'll spam me with a chat request the second they see my
name show up.

Mal F

Nov 7, 2007, 4:25:25 AM11/7/07
In article <5pc5dqF...@mid.individual.net>, imag...@hotmail.com
says...
aye that was a bastard of a section for sure.

i admit to not being above using god mode to get past a section i've
given up on, although i turn it off afterwards.

DBSnappa

Nov 7, 2007, 4:30:29 AM11/7/07

Or, accept chat invite.

Koalaboy

Nov 7, 2007, 4:34:49 AM11/7/07
hurricanepilot wrote:

> It's why I occasionally log on in "stealth" mode, as there are people
> on my list that'll spam me with a chat request the second they see my
> name show up.

Number one reason why you shouldn't buy your mum an XBox 360.

Chris Whitworth

Nov 7, 2007, 4:51:16 AM11/7/07
On 2007-11-06, Gareth R Halfacree <use...@halfacree.co.uk> wrote:
> Gareth Robert Halfacree wrote:
>> Orange Box (X360)
>
> Portal = Game of the Year, If Not Decade. That is all.

Told you!

Chris
--
Gamertag: parm * BRING BACK BLUE SKY IN GAMES *

"Back when I was young, we had to travel back in time to put the tape in so
the game would load before we died."

Toby Newman

Nov 7, 2007, 9:00:01 AM11/7/07
On 2007-11-06, Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com> wrote:
> Giants: Citizen Kabuto (PS2) to arrive. This sounds very MDK-ish but
> some enthusiastic comments convinced me to give it a shot despite
> that. I just hope it's not as relentlessly hard as that was.

It is quite like MDK, but the similarity is more in the humour than the gameplay.
I would say that MDK is a much better game but I didn finish both
and did enjoy both. Giants has some very tricky levels later on.

[ste parker]

Nov 7, 2007, 2:43:24 PM11/7/07

I find the mere thought of doing this quite unsettling.

--
[ste]
gamertag: stefcha

It is loading more messages.