Infected you tube link via facebook message

1 view

cynic

Mar 1, 2010, 11:52:06 AM3/1/10
I've just spent a couple of hours scanning and cleaning my system
after a known contact message came in on facebook with a link to an
allegedly humourous you tube page. The virus alert went off but it
seems to have already harvested my contacts and sent the thing on to
them. If any of you get a similar message dont open it.
There were multiple threats - three trojan files which showed up early
in the system clean and a worm which only showed near the end of the
full scan.

Clive George

Mar 1, 2010, 12:54:01 PM3/1/10

Was it actually a youtube link or somewhere else?

Andrew Gabriel

Mar 1, 2010, 1:12:02 PM3/1/10
In article <cc1206ea-0022-4e82...@b7g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

I received one of these recently from a friend,
who had no idea he'd sent it, but lots of his
friends received it. Fortunately, I don't run
Windows* so it didn't manage to deploy its payload.

* well, I do sometimes, but it's not allowed out
onto the Internet.

--
Andrew Gabriel

cynic

Mar 1, 2010, 2:05:34 PM3/1/10

probably something else in fact but I'm not minded to go back there
again to check

Peter Crosland

Mar 1, 2010, 2:11:38 PM3/1/10
"cynic" <icel...@talktalk.net> wrote in message

What security software do you use? It sounds as though it need changing,
updating or supplementing.

Peter Crosland

Clint Sharp

Mar 1, 2010, 5:30:04 PM3/1/10
In message
Koobface?
--
Clint Sharp

Alan Murphy

Mar 2, 2010, 4:59:22 AM3/2/10
"cynic" <icel...@talktalk.net> wrote in message

My wife's computer running XP Pro went down a
couple of weeks ago from trojans and finally would
not boot. I was about to do a system restore and
lose all the data, including PAYE records, when I
read about Knoppix. This is a complete Linux system
bootable, on a CD, and what's more completely free.
I was able to read and save the data on hard disk to
a UBS memory stick, all 'documents and data' and
'program files'. A real lifesaver. HTH.

Cheers, Alan.

dennis@home

Mar 2, 2010, 5:19:43 AM3/2/10

"Alan Murphy" <afm...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> My wife's computer running XP Pro went down a
> couple of weeks ago from trojans and finally would
> not boot. I was about to do a system restore and
> lose all the data, including PAYE records,

Just what you want to know.. possibly losing all that personal PAYE data to
whomever was running the trojans.
Why do people insist on putting personal data on machines connected to the
internet, probably without a proper firewall and possibly without proper AV
software?
I bet the data wasn't encrypted either.

Peter Crosland

Mar 2, 2010, 10:25:39 AM3/2/10
"Alan Murphy" <afm...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

But no substitute for having effective, and up to date anti-virus and
anti-Trojan software in the first place.

Peter Crosland

Clint Sharp

Mar 5, 2010, 3:51:25 AM3/5/10
In message <kIqdnaz6AZRusBDW...@brightview.co.uk>, Peter
Crosland <g6...@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>"Alan Murphy" <afm...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> My wife's computer running XP Pro went down a
>> couple of weeks ago from trojans and finally would
>> not boot. I was about to do a system restore and
>> lose all the data, including PAYE records, when I
>> read about Knoppix. This is a complete Linux system
>> bootable, on a CD, and what's more completely free.
>> I was able to read and save the data on hard disk to
>> a UBS memory stick, all 'documents and data' and
>> 'program files'. A real lifesaver. HTH.
>
>But no substitute for having effective, and up to date anti-virus and
>anti-Trojan software in the first place.
And no substitute for making regular backups, it's trivial to do these
days. Plus the infected machine was likely to also have been a source of
cyber attacks on other machines and networks so it's very anti social to
allow a machine to get into that state.

--
Clint Sharp