Resistor Colour-code Calculator

PeterC

Oct 16, 2009, 2:44:12 PM10/16/09
Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread a short while ago.

There's this:

http://myfreewares.weebly.com/resistor-colour-code-solver.html

Seems versatile: colours to value, value to colours and P(ower)-V-I-R.

There's a portable zip on the page - no setting up needed.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Matty F

Oct 16, 2009, 5:57:33 PM10/16/09
On Oct 17, 7:44 am, PeterC <giraffenos....@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
> Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread a short while ago.
>
> There's this:
>
> http://myfreewares.weebly.com/resistor-colour-code-solver.html
>
> Seems versatile: colours to value, value to colours and P(ower)-V-I-R.
>
> There's a portable zip on the page - no setting up needed.

I use this web-based one. No program to download:
http://samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/4_band_resistor_color_code_page.en.html

Although most of the resistors that I have are not the value stated,
because they have been removed from aircraft and replaced.

Graham.

Oct 16, 2009, 6:48:51 PM10/16/09

"Matty F" <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message news:f5d531e1-56ba-4fef...@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> On Oct 17, 7:44 am, PeterC <giraffenos....@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
>> Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread a short while ago.
>>
>> There's this:
>>
>> http://myfreewares.weebly.com/resistor-colour-code-solver.html
>>
>> Seems versatile: colours to value, value to colours and P(ower)-V-I-R.
>>
>> There's a portable zip on the page - no setting up needed.
>
> I use this web-based one. No program to download:
> http://samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/4_band_resistor_color_code_page.en.html

I use a mnemonic, too racist to be repeated here ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Frank Erskine

Oct 16, 2009, 7:19:09 PM10/16/09
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:48:51 +0100, "Graham." <m...@privacy.net> had
this to say:

Don't we all? ;-)))

--
Frank Erskine

Tim W

Oct 16, 2009, 8:00:35 PM10/16/09
Matty F <matty...@yahoo.co.nz>
wibbled on Friday 16 October 2009 22:57

I'm out of date... Can anyone explain how you know which direction to read a
6 band resistor in? There doesn't seem to be an obvious asymmetry...

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Graham.

Oct 16, 2009, 8:12:00 PM10/16/09

"Tim W" <t...@dionic.net> wrote in message news:hbb1f3$2np$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> Matty F <matty...@yahoo.co.nz>
> wibbled on Friday 16 October 2009 22:57
>
> I'm out of date... Can anyone explain how you know which direction to read a
> 6 band resistor in? There doesn't seem to be an obvious asymmetry...

Left to right. (Yes I know, I know).
Bring back "Body-Tip-Spot" is what I say.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Matty F

Oct 16, 2009, 9:51:26 PM10/16/09
On Oct 17, 11:48 am, "Graham." <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> "Matty F" <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in messagenews:f5d531e1-56ba-4fef...@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> > On Oct 17, 7:44 am, PeterC <giraffenos....@homecall.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Apologies if this was mentioned in the thread a short while ago.
>
> >> There's this:
>
> >>http://myfreewares.weebly.com/resistor-colour-code-solver.html
>
> >> Seems versatile: colours to value, value to colours and P(ower)-V-I-R.
>
> >> There's a portable zip on the page - no setting up needed.
>
> > I use this web-based one. No program to download:
> >http://samengstrom.com/nxl/3660/4_band_resistor_color_code_page.en.html
>
> I use a mnemonic, too racist to be repeated here ;-)

Quoting "young girls" and "virginity" is not racist :)

PeterC

Oct 17, 2009, 3:46:08 AM10/17/09

FSVO rotsiser

(I think I've just molished a new jbeq)

The Natural Philosopher

Oct 17, 2009, 4:25:52 AM10/17/09
Do you? 10 years as a design engineer left them second nature to me.

Andrew Gabriel

Oct 17, 2009, 5:06:08 AM10/17/09
In article <hbbv2g$2s9$4...@news.albasani.net>,

I certainly knew them well before age 11 (and before I would have
known what a virgin or a racist was, so it's unlikely any mnemonics
would have helped me), but I do remember "body, tip, spot"!

TBH, one of the things that initially attracted me to electronics at
such a young age was the pretty colours on resistors, and being
curious about why. My father had done lots of electronics before I
was born, and I retrieved his boxes of it from the loft, and started
from there.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2009, 6:10:20 AM10/17/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:06:08 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> In article <hbbv2g$2s9$4...@news.albasani.net>,
> The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>> Graham. wrote:
>>> "Matty F" <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> news:f5d531e1-56ba-4fef-8330-
af4281...@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

nxl/3660/4_band_resistor_color_code_page.en.html

>>> I use a mnemonic, too racist to be repeated here ;-)
>>>
>> Do you? 10 years as a design engineer left them second nature to me.
>
> I certainly knew them well before age 11 (and before I would have known
> what a virgin or a racist was, so it's unlikely any mnemonics would have
> helped me), but I do remember "body, tip, spot"!
>
> TBH, one of the things that initially attracted me to electronics at
> such a young age was the pretty colours on resistors, and being curious
> about why. My father had done lots of electronics before I was born, and
> I retrieved his boxes of it from the loft, and started from there.

Ther capacitors were even nicer - don't see them these says. Looked a bit
like liquorice allsorts.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Dave Liquorice

Oct 17, 2009, 6:41:44 AM10/17/09
On 17 Oct 2009 10:10:20 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

> Ther capacitors were even nicer - don't see them these says. Looked a
> bit like liquorice allsorts.

Oy! I don't look like a capacitor, although I am becoming a little
rounder than I was.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Adrian C

Oct 17, 2009, 9:57:29 AM10/17/09
PeterC wrote:

> FSVO rotsiser
>
> (I think I've just molished a new jbeq)

Opps. ye shed door is ajar. Wrong planet!

--
Adrian C

John Whitworth

Oct 17, 2009, 5:34:55 PM10/17/09

"Matty F" <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message

Blimey! That brings back memories!

JW

John Whitworth

Oct 17, 2009, 5:37:30 PM10/17/09

"Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Ther capacitors were even nicer - don't see them these says. Looked a bit
> like liquorice allsorts.

Capacitors were all quite boring when I started. Just blue or orange film
around the metal.

But I did love hoarding resistors. I used to nip into Tandy on the way home
from school - buy a pack of resistors, and use my Battery Club card! :-)

Andy Dingley

Oct 17, 2009, 7:04:10 PM10/17/09
On 17 Oct, 11:10, Bob Eager <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Ther capacitors were even nicer - don't see them these says. Looked a bit
> like liquorice allsorts.

Pigs for the end breaking off the swiss-roll though, if you pulled on
the lead when soldering.

What was the name for these? Polyethylene foil and a cement dip AFAIR,
but they had a name too?

geoff

Oct 17, 2009, 7:04:51 PM10/17/09
In message
<858584c1-1666-40fe...@b25g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
Matty F <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> writes

You'd better remind me of that one ...

--
geoff

geoff

Oct 17, 2009, 7:04:12 PM10/17/09
In message <qpvhd59nnhcfq7qap...@4ax.com>, Frank Erskine
<frank....@btinternet.com> writes
I don't know what you're on about

--
geoff

geoff

Oct 17, 2009, 7:07:19 PM10/17/09
In message <7jtjgcF...@mid.individual.net>, Bob Eager
<rd...@spamcop.net> writes
I used to have a girlfriend who used to nick them and turn them into
eaarrings

--
geoff

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2009, 7:13:34 PM10/17/09

Are we talking abiut the same thing? These were rectangular, flattish,
with rounded edges (typically about a cm per side, 2-3mm thick, wires
from two of the bottom corners, horizontal stripes. Polyester ISTR.

Frank Erskine

Oct 17, 2009, 7:34:42 PM10/17/09
On 17 Oct 2009 23:13:34 GMT, Bob Eager <rd...@spamcop.net> had this to
say:

They were modern things. Proper condensers (mica) were maybe 1" x 3/4"
x 1/16" and dipped in brown wax, or encased in brown bakelite
(engraved with the value) with large flat tags sticking out of the
ends.

Or Hunts/TCC paper ones in an aluminium tube with rubber seals in the
ends.

Then of course there were wet electrolytics that had to be kept
upright...

--
Frank Erskine

The Natural Philosopher

Oct 17, 2009, 7:36:38 PM10/17/09

Mylar - I think those were mylar film. Or possibly ceramics. Mullard
made em IIRC.

http://store.triodestore.com/mullardfishcaps.html

I remember at that time..yes. its coming back. You could get stripey
humbugs that were coil wound plastic, then mylar film, which was better,
and polycarbonate, which was way best of all, because instead of a coil
(flattened) they interleaved the plates.. Very low self inductance AND
they ground the ends down to precision values.

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2009, 7:40:16 PM10/17/09

Yep, seen (and mostly used) all of those too. But not as pretty...

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2009, 7:40:59 PM10/17/09

I gave SWMBO a pair of proper Pentium II earrings once.

John Whitworth

Oct 17, 2009, 7:48:20 PM10/17/09

> I gave SWMBO a pair of proper Pentium II earrings once.

Did the increase to triple-core processing help with multi-tasking?

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2009, 8:17:54 PM10/17/09

She still has them - just seen!

Bob Eager

Oct 17, 2009, 8:18:27 PM10/17/09

Not really. But total power increased at least tenfold.

brass monkey

Oct 17, 2009, 8:33:43 PM10/17/09

"Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

The 2.2uF bumblebees made decent xmas streamers.

Derek Geldard

Oct 17, 2009, 9:55:15 PM10/17/09
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:34:42 +0100, Frank Erskine
<frank....@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>Are we talking abiut the same thing? These were rectangular, flattish,
>>with rounded edges (typically about a cm per side, 2-3mm thick, wires
>>from two of the bottom corners, horizontal stripes. Polyester ISTR.
>
>They were modern things. Proper condensers (mica) were maybe 1" x 3/4"
>x 1/16" and dipped in brown wax, or encased in brown bakelite
>(engraved with the value) with large flat tags sticking out of the
>ends.
>
>Or Hunts/TCC paper ones in an aluminium tube with rubber seals in the
>ends.

That is *OLD* .

>Then of course there were wet electrolytics that had to be kept
>upright...

Really ? Never new that. That could explain one or two things ...

Presumably one only ever encountered them hard mounted on (pre-war)
wireless set chassis.

Derek.

Matty F

Oct 18, 2009, 1:12:31 AM10/18/09
On Oct 18, 12:04 pm, geoff <ra...@kateda.org> wrote:
> In message
> <858584c1-1666-40fe-9e8d-321f06d7e...@b25g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
> Matty F <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> writes

As taught to teenage Air Force engineers:
Bad Boys Root Our Young Girls Before Viginity Gives Way.
I have no idea what that means :)

Ian White

Oct 18, 2009, 2:25:23 AM10/18/09
Matty F wrote:

>As taught to teenage Air Force engineers:
>Bad Boys Root Our Young Girls Before Viginity Gives Way.
>I have no idea what that means :)

Oh, so that's what the "virginity" was all about. I learned 6-7-8-9 as
"...But Violet Grey's Willing."

--
Ian White

PeterC

Oct 18, 2009, 4:05:01 AM10/18/09

Sorry - been on the PPs and BAs.

Geo

Oct 18, 2009, 9:09:15 AM10/18/09
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:04:10 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley <din...@codesmiths.com>
wrote:

>What was the name for these? Polyethylene foil and a cement dip AFAIR,
>but they had a name too?

Mullard c280 Polyesters
Tropical fish
http://www.electrojumble.org/DATA/C280_Series.pdf

Ebay uk item (sold) 160359738926

--
Geo

geoff

Oct 18, 2009, 9:46:00 AM10/18/09
In message
<bbf68ea4-713a-4bd7...@m7g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Matty F <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> writes

I've led a sheltered life ...

cheers

--
geoff

Bob Eager

Oct 18, 2009, 10:41:53 AM10/18/09

That's the ones! They *were* polyester after all!

Andrew Gabriel

Oct 18, 2009, 4:09:31 PM10/18/09
In article <in4LvTRn...@demon.co.uk>,

geoff <ra...@kateda.org> writes:
> I used to have a girlfriend who used to nick them and turn them into
> eaarrings

You could have left them charged up...

--
Andrew Gabriel

John Whitworth

Oct 18, 2009, 4:25:23 PM10/18/09

"Ian White" <I...@ifwtech.co.uk> wrote in message

We were taught it a little bit different. I'm sure it was 'rape' instead of
'root', and the last four words were 'but virgins go without'.

I don't remember it being 'bad' either. But can't think what it was.

geoff

Oct 18, 2009, 4:30:49 PM10/18/09
In message <hbfslr$2a4$2...@news.eternal-september.org>, Andrew Gabriel
<and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <in4LvTRn...@demon.co.uk>,
> geoff <ra...@kateda.org> writes:
>> I used to have a girlfriend who used to nick them and turn them into
>> eaarrings
>
>You could have left them charged up...

But I chose to live, instead

--
geoff

Grimly Curmudgeon

Oct 22, 2009, 10:00:34 AM10/22/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember "John Whitworth"
<sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> saying something like:

>We were taught it a little bit different. I'm sure it was 'rape' instead of
>'root', and the last four words were 'but virgins go without'.
>
>I don't remember it being 'bad' either. But can't think what it was.

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Virgins Go Without.
Throwing sensitivity to the wind, the other version substituted 'Black'
for 'Bad'. I've no doubt there's a perfectly acceptable but dead boring
version out there.

RobertL

Oct 22, 2009, 10:11:49 AM10/22/09
On Oct 22, 3:00 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon <grimly4REM...@REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:

I was taught "willingly" not "without".

'Bad' Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Virgins Go Willingly.

The Natural Philosopher

Oct 22, 2009, 10:44:21 AM10/22/09
Its the 7 colours of the spectrum, with black for nought, brown for one
(halfway between black and red) grey for eight and white for nine.

I never had any problems, or need for mnemonics.

After a while the coses were second nature for preferred values in the
E20 range anyway.

Had to think a bit for high precision sometimes.