Draingin Board Router Jig

Jake

Aug 27, 2005, 3:23:26 PM8/27/05
Hi All,

We've just installed a Belfast-style kitchen sink with an iroko
worktop. We used a jigsaw to cut out for the sink and now we need to
make the "draining board" area.

I've seen a special router jig on Screwfix.com for £100.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101361&ts=70498&id=24677

Anybody know of a cheaper alternative or if they are available for
hire...

Jake Howlett
http://jake.typepad.com/

Mr Fuxit

Aug 27, 2005, 3:59:37 PM8/27/05
The cheapest alternative is to make your own jig; it's only a slotted
board with one end propped up on a block!
If you make your own then you can decide the pattern of the grooves;
parallel, in a fan, curved, or a combination of all these.
You can cut the slots with your router or, by drilling the ends of the
slots first and joining the holes with a jigsaw.

Jake

Aug 27, 2005, 5:02:10 PM8/27/05
This is something I was thinking of doing and probably what I'll end up
with if no cheap alternative is suggested.

Thanks Mr Fuxit. I hadn't thought about fanning it out.

ben

Aug 27, 2005, 6:00:53 PM8/27/05
Jake wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've just installed a Belfast-style kitchen sink with an iroko
> worktop. We used a jigsaw to cut out for the sink and now we need to
> make the "draining board" area.
>
> I've seen a special router jig on Screwfix.com for Ł100.

> http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101361&ts=70498&id=24677
>
> Anybody know of a cheaper alternative or if they are available for
> hire...
>
> Jake Howlett
> http://jake.typepad.com/

Sheet Perspex is a must for making jigs/templates of this ilk.

I jus cant believe the prices they are charging for the vast majority of
these jigs, ludicrus.

themetz

Aug 27, 2005, 6:52:18 PM8/27/05
You could try www.gcip.co.uk - I've used them in the past to make
various jigs for me. You would need to let them know size etc that you
looking for - but other than that they'll make pretty much what you like

ben

Aug 27, 2005, 9:52:04 PM8/27/05
Jake wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've just installed a Belfast-style kitchen sink with an iroko
> worktop. We used a jigsaw to cut out for the sink and now we need to
> make the "draining board" area.
>
> I've seen a special router jig on Screwfix.com for Ł100.

> http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101361&ts=70498&id=24677
>
> Anybody know of a cheaper alternative or if they are available for
> hire...
>
> Jake Howlett
> http://jake.typepad.com/

This is the cheapest method I can come up with if you understand my
drawings.
Sorry not very good at technical drawing. :-(
http://www.zones.myby.co.uk/ROUTER%20SLIDE.jpg
Any questions please ask.