What instead of gravel?

brass monkey

Jan 28, 2011, 4:07:15 AM1/28/11
2nd posting attempt

We basically have a concrete drive, previous owners used some grass on the
side for extra parking. Lifted the grass, black membrane and gravel. Fine
when we came, now PITA weeds come through. I've seen black plastic
squares/honeycombs which have grass inside but presumably are ok for cars to
drive onto? What the devil are they or any better ideas? Ta muchly.

The Medway Handyman

Jan 28, 2011, 4:15:18 AM1/28/11
What size gravel?

Tim Watts

Jan 28, 2011, 4:28:44 AM1/28/11
brass monkey (a...@b.com) wibbled on Friday 28 January 2011 09:07:

"grass grid" or something like that...

I've also heard of railway ballast finished with an inch or so of topsoil.
The soil works into the top layer of the ballast - sow hardy grass or for a
more bombproof and droughtprood greenery, clover.

The car wheels will indent the grass but will hit stone immediately avoiding
muddy ruts.

--
Tim Watts

brass monkey

Jan 28, 2011, 6:04:40 AM1/28/11

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 28/01/2011 09:07, brass monkey wrote:
>> 2nd posting attempt
>>
>> We basically have a concrete drive, previous owners used some grass on
>> the
>> side for extra parking. Lifted the grass, black membrane and gravel. Fine
>> when we came, now PITA weeds come through. I've seen black plastic
>> squares/honeycombs which have grass inside but presumably are ok for cars
>> drive onto? What the devil are they or any better ideas? Ta muchly.
>>

> What size gravel?

It must be 8 to 10mm but the weeds are such a !"�$" it's impossible to keep
it looking good. Maybe I should rip it up and put 2 or 3 sheets of membrane.

Nightjar

Jan 28, 2011, 6:09:28 AM1/28/11

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 28, 2011, 6:13:49 AM1/28/11
If you want grass that you an park on, I have found that MOT type 1
covered in topsoil to about half an inch is OK.

If you want gravel that wont grow weeds forget the membrane. It's
useless as seeds land on top along with dirt and rain, and they grow.
Use pathclear twice a year.

John Williamson

Jan 28, 2011, 6:15:09 AM1/28/11
It's expensive, but when I worked for a landscape gardening company, we
used to strip the topsoil off, put three inches of scalpings (Crushed
limestone with the fines left in) down, then compact it, then put gravel
on top. Five years later, there were still no weeds except where we'd
left holes for planting. It stayed slightly porous, so water could run
away, too.

If you want to keep it looking green, then try something like this:-

http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/civil/bodpave-paving-grid.htm

There are concrete versions, too, just google for grass paving grids.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

MuddyMike

Jan 28, 2011, 6:10:48 AM1/28/11

"brass monkey" <a...@b.com> wrote in message

I had an area like that at the last house. I simply mowed the weeds, added a
bit of grass seed and after a while it ended up as "hard grass". Whatever
you put under gravel weeds will always grow in the muck that accumulates
between the stones.

Mike

Nightjar

Jan 28, 2011, 6:27:45 AM1/28/11

Extra membraane probably won't help. Over the years, dirt accumulates in
the gravel and gives the weeds something to grow in. Mine has been down
for 12 years and is overdue to be lifted and sieved.

Colin Bignell

Message has been deleted

Dave Liquorice

Jan 28, 2011, 6:30:37 AM1/28/11
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:04:40 -0000, brass monkey wrote:

> It must be 8 to 10mm but the weeds are such a !"£$" it's impossible to
> keep it looking good. Maybe I should rip it up and put 2 or 3 sheets of
> membrane.

But presumably these weeds are wind blown seedlings growing above the
existing membrane in the gravel. More membrane isn't going to help.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Adrian C

Jan 28, 2011, 6:46:19 AM1/28/11
On 28/01/2011 11:15, John Williamson wrote:

> http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/civil/bodpave-paving-grid.htm

Recycled beer crates?

--
Adrian C

The Medway Handyman

Jan 28, 2011, 11:35:00 AM1/28/11
On 28/01/2011 11:04, brass monkey wrote:

Thats the problem, you need 18mm gravel. My front garden & drive are
18mm gravel. Garden has a membrane below, drive has 4" of type 1
compacted below. We get a few weeds, but a quick zap with weed killer
keeps it looking nice.