Fence Painting

Endulini

Feb 28, 2011, 3:06:14 PM2/28/11
Hi All,

I've got a stretch of fence to paint in the spring and was thinking of
investing in a sprayer, are they any good? Can you use any make of fence
paint in them or are the ones that are advertised really any different and
specifically formulated for spraying (I only ask as the shade that the wife
really wants isn't available in a spray bottle)? Is it possible to hire
them.....?

Thanks

Chewbacca

Feb 28, 2011, 4:44:55 PM2/28/11

I've tried a sprayer, and to be honest a bit of breeze and it blows back
in yer face, any holes in the fence and it sprays all over next doors
plants. So I went back to rubber gloves, put the stuff in a bucket and
use a big brush. A bit slower, but not much.

Another John

Feb 28, 2011, 4:54:12 PM2/28/11
> I've got a stretch of fence to paint in the spring and was thinking of
> investing in a sprayer, are they any good?

I got a Cuprinol one a few years ago: so far I've used it only three
times, but by god it was worth it! It really is SO much faster than
brushing.

>Can you use any make of fence
> paint in them or are the ones that are advertised really any different and
> specifically formulated for spraying (I only ask as the shade that the wife
> really wants isn't available in a spray bottle)?

Well.... I used mine the first two times with the special Cuprinol
thixotropic fence preserver, which I was buying in any case -- I
splashed out (so to speak) on the sprayer in a fit of diy-mania.

I last used it a couple of years ago, and recently I noticed the O-rings
were perishing [all things must pass: no complaints]. Soooo I
thought: since this sprayer is on the way out, I'll try using cresote in
it (Creoseal, to be precise: genuine creosote has recently acquired the
toxicity of plutonium apparently). I tried the creoseal, and it sprays
that fantastically well too: done my hut now. No doubt it's buggered
the sprayer, but I don't care: life is [now] too short for me to spend
hours tooling around with a brush.

>Is it possible to hire them.....?

Undoubtedly - haven't looked, but you can hire anything these days.

FINALLY: although fantastically efficient, the sprayer is also
fantastically messy: you will get paint everywhere if you're not
careful. Get a good decorator-sized dust sheet, and cover everything
around the area you're spraying. Wear your overalls, and safety gogs
(unless you're a speccy 4-eyes like me). And you need a very large sheet
of cardboard (e.g. a collapsed large box), which you will pin behind the
fence that you're spraying, so that you don't spray the neighbour's
property. And don't spray in anything stronger than a very light breeze.

hth
John

Another John

Feb 28, 2011, 5:10:40 PM2/28/11
I said ...

Should have said:

> ... you will get paint everywhere even if you're careful.

Feb 28, 2011, 7:27:19 PM2/28/11
On 28/02/2011 20:06 Endulini wrote:

> I've got a stretch of fence to paint in the spring and was thinking of
> investing in a sprayer, are they any good?

I tried this and will be using a brush next time. The spray either blew
all over the place or clogged up the nozzle (Homebase sale so possibly
old stock).

Matty F

Mar 1, 2011, 12:35:05 AM3/1/11
On Mar 1, 9:06 am, "Endulini" <Endul...@Fruit.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a stretch of fence to paint in the spring and was thinking of
> investing in a sprayer, are they any good?

Usually spraying a fence is a really messy business.
I altered my fence so that each panel unbolts. Actually the rails have
slots that hang on bolts.
Now I can remove a section of fence, lay it down away from the road on
old corrugated iron and spray it all over, even the underneath.

I have recently painted trellis, flat on a sheet of plastic. I sloshed
the paint on with a hearth brush and wiped the excess off the plastic
and reused it.
That was easy enough. I was going to make a trough 1800x1200mm to dunk
the panel in, but that would need a lot of paint.

hugh

Mar 1, 2011, 6:12:54 AM3/1/11
In message <yHUap.109783$ud6.1...@newsfe19.ams2>, Chewbacca
<Che...@nospam.net> writes
You can only use the water based fence colouring in them not genuine
preservative.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

John Rumm

Mar 1, 2011, 9:25:06 AM3/1/11
On 01/03/2011 11:12, hugh wrote:
> In message <yHUap.109783$ud6.1...@newsfe19.ams2>, Chewbacca
> <Che...@nospam.net> writes
>> On 28/02/2011 20:06, Endulini wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've got a stretch of fence to paint in the spring and was thinking of
>>> investing in a sprayer, are they any good? Can you use any make of fence
>>> paint in them or are the ones that are advertised really any different
>>> and specifically formulated for spraying (I only ask as the shade that
>>> the wife really wants isn't available in a spray bottle)? Is it possible
>>> to hire them.....?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I've tried a sprayer, and to be honest a bit of breeze and it blows back
>> in yer face, any holes in the fence and it sprays all over next doors
>> plants. So I went back to rubber gloves, put the stuff in a bucket and
>> use a big brush. A bit slower, but not much.
> You can only use the water based fence colouring in them not genuine
> preservative.

I found if you get a cheap pump up garden sprayer, and fill with proper
cuprinol or similar through a cotton cloth filter to catch any bits.
Then they work quite well. (don't omit the filter, or any fleck of rust
from the can will clog the spray)

--
Cheers,

John.

hugh

Mar 1, 2011, 9:39:45 AM3/1/11
In message <xpWdnVkxF78gnPDQ...@brightview.co.uk>, John
Rumm <see.my.s...@nowhere.null> writes

>On 01/03/2011 11:12, hugh wrote:
>> In message <yHUap.109783$ud6.1...@newsfe19.ams2>, Chewbacca
>> <Che...@nospam.net> writes

>>> I've tried a sprayer, and to be honest a bit of breeze and it blows back
>>> in yer face, any holes in the fence and it sprays all over next doors
>>> plants. So I went back to rubber gloves, put the stuff in a bucket and
>>> use a big brush. A bit slower, but not much.
>> You can only use the water based fence colouring in them not genuine
>> preservative.
>
>I found if you get a cheap pump up garden sprayer, and fill with proper
>cuprinol or similar through a cotton cloth filter to catch any bits.
>Then they work quite well. (don't omit the filter, or any fleck of rust
>from the can will clog the spray)

Yes they will work - for a while. I think it was Cuprinol (if not
Ronseal) I asked but they did rule out using the shed and fence
preserver in their spray, and no, they didn't market a suitable one.