power point locations in kitchen

gazz

Aug 22, 2008, 6:31:46 PM8/22/08
having our kitchen re-done, need a load of plug sockets putting in as it
currently only has 2 double sockets in the entire kitchen, everything was
then run off extension leads,

Is there a minimum distance they need to be from the kitchen sink? at the
moment one of the sockets is about 20cm to the side of the draining board
end of the sink, there's only a little bit of worktop left after the
draining board then it's the wall, so that place is ideal for the kettle, so
i dont want to loose that socket location.

The kitchen is going to be put on it's own new ring main, obviousely on it's
own rcbo, sink is going to be stainless steel,

Andy Wade

Aug 22, 2008, 6:53:21 PM8/22/08
gazz wrote:

> Is there a minimum distance they need to be from the kitchen sink?

300 mm clearance, measured horizontally along the wall behind the sink,
is recommended. Height of sockets should be a minimum of 150 mm above
the work surface.

--
Andy

gazz

Aug 22, 2008, 7:47:45 PM8/22/08

"Andy Wade" <spamb...@maxwell.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message

> gazz wrote:
>>
>> Is there a minimum distance they need to be from the kitchen sink?
>
> 300 mm clearance, measured horizontally along the wall behind the sink, is
> recommended.

would that be measured from the actual sink bowl, or the end of the drainer?

Andy Wade

Aug 22, 2008, 9:00:59 PM8/22/08
gazz wrote:

> would that be measured from the actual sink bowl, or the end of the
> drainer?

From the extreme ends, regardless of whether a drainer or a bowl.

--
Andy

NOSP...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2008, 8:23:01 AM8/23/08

Is that in some legislation somewhere as I've seen this topic
mentioned in this ng a few times but always thought there was some
doubt about it .

Andy Wade

Aug 23, 2008, 9:29:50 AM8/23/08
NOSP...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is that in some legislation somewhere as I've seen this topic
> mentioned in this ng a few times but always thought there was some
> doubt about it .

No, it's a recommended interpretation of the BS 7671 requirements for
segregation of electrical and non-electrical services. It's in the
IET's Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations [1] as well as
various NICEIC publications, etc.

All kitchen electrical installation work is Part-P notifiable. If you
choose to ignore established guidance you may have to argue your case
with anyone sent to inspect and test your work.

[1] New edition just out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electricians-Guide-Building-Regulations-Wiring/dp/0863418627/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219497584&sr=1-3
--
Andy