Is it possible to paint over silicone?

Ed Sirett

Jun 24, 2008, 6:09:18 PM6/24/08
I'm half interested to know if it's possible to paint over silicone
sealant. The stuff that says "not suitable for over painting".

It's not that important to me, I've tried to see if masonry paint will
take. It's doing a pretty good job, the first coat was 'rejected' into
streaks but the second has almost complete coverage and the third is
looking good.

I'm fairly sure CT101 (aka S/fix FT101) would do a good job if I tried.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried any other primers/preps on silicone.

Martin Bonner

Jun 25, 2008, 8:10:07 AM6/25/08
On Jun 24, 11:09 pm, Ed Sirett <e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm half interested to know if it's possible to paint over silicone
> sealant. The stuff that says "not suitable for over painting".
>
> It's not that important to me, I've tried to see if masonry paint will
> take. It's doing a pretty good job, the first coat was 'rejected' into
> streaks but the second has almost complete coverage and the third is
> looking good.

I had pretty much identical experience with Farrow and Ball oil-
eggshell and would expect the same with any oil paint. It would be
interesting to know how the water-based acrylics do.

Ed Sirett

Jun 25, 2008, 3:08:39 PM6/25/08

I could try a stadardall purpose acrylic primer, it would be 'rejected'
on the first coat but like the masonry paint a couple of coats (each
taking about 15 min to dry) might be quite good.

meow...@care2.com

Jun 26, 2008, 8:32:17 AM6/26/08
On Jun 25, 8:08 pm, Ed Sirett <e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 05:10:07 -0700, Martin Bonner wrote:
> > On Jun 24, 11:09 pm, Ed Sirett <e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> I'm half interested to know if it's possible to paint over silicone
> >> sealant. The stuff that says "not suitable for over painting".
>
> >> It's not that important to me, I've tried to see if masonry paint will
> >> take. It's doing a pretty good job, the first coat was 'rejected' into
> >> streaks but the second has almost complete coverage and the third is
> >> looking good.
>
> > I had pretty much identical experience with Farrow and Ball oil-
> > eggshell and would expect the same with any oil paint.  It would be
> > interesting to know how the water-based acrylics do.
>
> I could try a stadardall purpose acrylic primer, it would be 'rejected'
> on the first coat but like the masonry paint a couple of coats (each
> taking about 15 min to dry) might be quite good.

But would they last long, with silicone being so soft?

NT

teddy...@hotmail.com

Jun 26, 2008, 9:46:00 AM6/26/08
On 25 Jun, 20:08, Ed Sirett <e...@makewrite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

> I could try a stadardall purpose acrylic primer, it would be 'rejected'
> on the first coat but like the masonry paint a couple of coats (each
> taking about 15 min to dry) might be quite good.

If I'm right in my interpretation of your word "rejected" - i.e. that
the paint cissed, then I suspect that any adhesion you might think
you're achieving would be illusory. The paint might stay there due to
gravity and inertia, but would have no resilience.

Just my 02p

Edward

Ed Sirett

Jun 26, 2008, 4:20:45 PM6/26/08

You're probably right. The problem is that the low modulus frame sealant
has been badly applied and some is on the rend of the window reveal.
From a weatherproofing POV the silicone will do just fine but it would be
better if the render all had the same colour.
If the matter becomes an issue I'll just spread a thin coat of CT1 over
it further thinned by Desolvit and over-paint the next day.