Table Top Halogen Ovens ?

the_constructor

Aug 28, 2009, 1:55:54 PM8/28/09
The wife and I are thinking about getting one of these table top halogen
ovens after seeing one for the first time at a friends house.

We have looked on YouTube and various other wiebsites and seen all the hype
about them.

Are they really that good....?

Do they break down often and are spares easy to get....?

Cicero

Aug 28, 2009, 3:21:47 PM8/28/09

I bought one about four months ago and it's produced consistently good
results. The cat loves the roast chicken. Cleaning is a bit of a problem
(forget 'self cleaning' - it's a joke) because the base needs quite a
large sink to accommodate it. Cleaning can be eased by placing a large
dinner plate in the bottom to catch juices to be extracted and poured
away. For relatively small meals it's good but larger items simply won't
fit in.

The best price I found was: www.coopersofstortford.co.uk

I don't know about spares, but mine hasn't broken down yet.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

the_constructor

Aug 28, 2009, 5:19:15 PM8/28/09

"Cicero" <shel...@hellfire.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:55:54 +0100, the_constructor wrote:
>
>> The wife and I are thinking about getting one of these table top halogen
>> ovens after seeing one for the first time at a friends house.
>>
>> We have looked on YouTube and various other wiebsites and seen all the
>> hype about them.
>>
>> Are they really that good....?
>>
>> Do they break down often and are spares easy to get....?

> I bought one about four months ago and it's produced consistently good
> results. The cat loves the roast chicken. Cleaning is a bit of a problem
> (forget 'self cleaning' - it's a joke) because the base needs quite a
> large sink to accommodate it. Cleaning can be eased by placing a large
> dinner plate in the bottom to catch juices to be extracted and poured
> away. For relatively small meals it's good but larger items simply won't
> fit in.
>
> The best price I found was: www.coopersofstortford.co.uk
>
> I don't know about spares, but mine hasn't broken down yet.
>
> Cic.

Hi Cic, Thanks for the information.
This is the cheapest and best deal that I have found so far, plus you get
bonus accessories:
http://www.pressplayshopping.tv/store/product.asp?WebProductID=627
Still abit worried about breakdowns though

Cicero

Aug 28, 2009, 5:49:41 PM8/28/09

The 'extender ring' would be useful but all the other accessories
listed (except lid stand) are included in most other cheaper versions.

As far as breakdowns are concerned I would be inclined to consider this
item almost a throw-away item once it was out of guarantee, but there may
be spares available. I just haven't bothered to look for them, because
there's so little to go wrong.

Lino expert

Aug 28, 2009, 5:58:56 PM8/28/09
On 28 Aug, 18:55, "the_constructor" <the_construc...@freeukisp.co.uk>
wrote:

I would highly recommend one.
They save electricity as they cook things in a fraction of the time of
a conventional oven - for example something that perhaps takes 20 mins
in an oven will do in the same, or sometimes less time, from a
standing start, no need to get it up to heat first. You can also of
course cook at the 'fan oven temperature' shown on packaging or in
recipes, which is lower to start with.
I had one that wasn't halogen, that lasted probably about five years
and I've had the halogen one as a replacement now for about three. The
first one just simply stopped working and unfortunately I can't tell
you about spares (which I know is what you're most interested in)
because I had the replacement one bought as a present so didn't have
to worry about fixing the first one. However, if it's any help at all,
the first one performed consistently throughout its life.
As has already been said, the cleaning isn't *that* easy, but unlike
the previous poster I'd say due to the gubbins being in the lid
meaning you can't, of course, give it a good old sloosh in a washing
up bowl and so the method I use is to invert it in the top of its
glass bottom and wash it with a fairly dry sponge, so water doesn't
get in to the motor etc.
I'd agree with the previous poster's comment that you can't fit a
whole lot in one (if you wanted to roast a chicken that would be all
you could do in it at one time) and would also mention that the fan's
quite strong...so if you're cooking faggots in their foil tin with a
loosened lid, if said lid's not still well enough secured it'll be up
on the bottom of the heating/fan/motor housing burning merrily before
you can say knife, but I still wouldn't be without mine.