what to do with central heating pipes running along wall

benpost

Jul 10, 2008, 10:25:42 AM7/10/08
this is what i have in most rooms:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24loqyd&s=4

twin 15mm pipes for the central heating system running just above the
skirting board. they have been painted several times and the paint is
all lumpy and scabby.

any suggestions as to what to do with them? i could sand them down
and re paint, but it would be hard to paint them properly. i saw in
screwfix a plastic cover for twin pipes , anyone seen it? also boxing
in could be an option.

just wondered what you diy experts would do ! less work the better,
but want a tidy finish! :)

benpost

Jul 10, 2008, 10:28:17 AM7/10/08
sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

Slider

Jul 10, 2008, 10:31:11 AM7/10/08

"benpost" <olne...@talktalk.net> wrote in message

> sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

Can you re-route under the floor boards?

benpost

Jul 10, 2008, 10:36:58 AM7/10/08
concrete floors!

GMM

Jul 10, 2008, 10:43:32 AM7/10/08
On 10 Jul, 15:36, benpost <olney_...@talktalk.net> wrote:
> concrete floors!

The plastic covers seem not bad - I've been thinking about them
myself. My only reservation with them is they're a similar material
to the plastic trunking we have for power data etc in my office at
work, and it seems to 'age' pretty quickly. It's not so much dirt
(although I wouldn't object if the cleaners came into my office more
often) but they discolour a bit an collect scratches easily. Perhaps
they could be painted once they got a bit scabby - you'd probably
paint them when you did the walls anyway.

Only ramblings, you understand, from one thinking about a similar
situation...

RobertL

Jul 10, 2008, 10:46:07 AM7/10/08
On Jul 10, 3:25 pm, benpost <olney_...@talktalk.net> wrote:
> this is what i have in most rooms:
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24loqyd&s=4
>
> twin 15mm pipes for the central heating system running just above the
> skirting board.  they have been painted several times and the paint is
> all lumpy and scabby.
>
> any suggestions as to what to do with them?  i could sand them down
> and re paint,

paint stripper is easier than sanding, but you do need to take care
not to get it any of it on your skin at all (and eyes of course).

Robert

meow...@care2.com

Jul 10, 2008, 11:04:11 AM7/10/08
benpost wrote:

For a tidy finish you'll have to smooth them. Coarse sandpaper or
cautious use of a flap wheel etc may take the high spots down, and
gloss paint should fill in the resulting scratched finish.

Or you could make a feature of them, paint them some funky colour, or
multuple colours, or a pattern. Or a dot of colour on each drip. Or go
crazy and solder a halved t junction onto them, and add a bit of wacky
shaped pipe to each. Yes... I've seen most of these done, not the last
one but something similar.

Boxing doesnt really work for me. It makes the undesired object much
bigger.

NT

tonyjeffs

Jul 10, 2008, 11:10:47 AM7/10/08
I'd consider taking the skirting boards off, getting new ones, making
a channel in the wood if necessary so that the pipe will fit between
the new skirtings and the wall, and relocating the pipes so they're
out of view. Big job though.

Tony

dennis@home

Jul 10, 2008, 1:55:07 PM7/10/08

"benpost" <olne...@talktalk.net> wrote in message

Polish them and varnish them?

Built in seating?

Replace them with skirting heaters is a good bet.
E.g.
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/copy_of_Smiths_Sureline_Parimeter_Range.html

Graeme

Jul 10, 2008, 2:26:48 PM7/10/08
In message
<5e5d08a8-37de-4ff3...@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, GMM
<Han...@dsl.pipex.com> writes

>On 10 Jul, 15:36, benpost <olney_...@talktalk.net> wrote:
>> concrete floors!
>
>The plastic covers seem not bad - I've been thinking about them
>myself.

My wife bought some from a catalogue. Not Tupperware - another one with
a door to door man. Anyway, they were fine. Easy to trim to size, and
clip on the pipe. However, they did start to discolour after 3 or 4
years, but were cheap enough to throw away and replace. No, not
terribly environmentally friendly.

--
Graeme

nightjar

Jul 10, 2008, 3:42:10 PM7/10/08

"benpost" <olne...@talktalk.net> wrote in message

> sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

http://www.norscreenfilters.co.uk/Pipe_covers_en.htm

Colin Bignell

Steve Walker

Jul 10, 2008, 4:53:53 PM7/10/08
benpost wrote:
> sorry this pic is bigger and the right way up!:
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=255te9y&s=4

Screw a batten to the wall 120mm above the floor, and then fix the top edge
of skirting board to it. This creates a tidy cavity behind, but with a bit
of care it's barely noticable.

Andrew Gabriel

Jul 12, 2008, 2:20:57 AM7/12/08
In article <6dnb71F...@mid.individual.net>,

A variation on this is to strip the plaster to 120mm above the floor
and fix the battern to the brickwork, thereby flush mounting it into
the plaster.

--
Andrew Gabriel