When to skim V filler

ss

Nov 17, 2011, 4:30:23 AM11/17/11
Just taken wallpaper off kitchen wall, now I know why it was papered :-(
The wall has numerous nicks and scratches. Is it better to skim the wall
or just use filler and sand flush where necessary.
I would need to attempt the skimming myself and not something I am
particularly good at.

Martin Brown

Nov 17, 2011, 4:38:35 AM11/17/11
On 17/11/2011 09:30, ss wrote:
> Just taken wallpaper off kitchen wall, now I know why it was papered :-(
> The wall has numerous nicks and scratches. Is it better to skim the wall
> or just use filler and sand flush where necessary.

I can just about skim small areas if there is a good surface to either
side to work against. But I could not do a whole wall to save my life.

I am always amazed how good plasterers can do it quickly and get a true
vertical flat surface nicely polished at the right moment as it cures.

> I would need to attempt the skimming myself and not something I am
> particularly good at.

I think you just answered your own question.
Filler is a lot more forgiving. Skimming plaster is not.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

matthelliwell

Nov 17, 2011, 4:42:45 AM11/17/11
Fill and sand and then rehang heavy lining paper, assuming your
plastering skills are as good as mine.

matt

ss

Nov 17, 2011, 5:05:40 AM11/17/11
I did some skimming about 5 years ago in a house I was going to rent, ok
job for renting but wouldnt have been entirely happy for my home.

Yes I can fill and sand then decide if it needs lining paper, I think
thats my best option.

fred

Nov 17, 2011, 6:01:11 AM11/17/11
In article <005xq.22401$E17....@newsfe22.ams2>, ss
<wee...@hotmail.com> writes
You can get a decent finish with lining paper if you use virgin pulp
rather than the recycled muck in the sheds. Decent stuff doesn't expand
and contract as much as the other when wet and finishing it in acrylic
eggshell gives a pretty durable finish suitable for kitchens.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

PeterC

Nov 17, 2011, 6:19:20 AM11/17/11
This stuff seems to be good (but a bit pricey):

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MAVNWLPT/
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

matthelliwell

Nov 17, 2011, 6:47:07 AM11/17/11
On Nov 17, 11:19 am, PeterC <giraffenos....@homecall.co.uk> wrote:

> This stuff seems to be good (but a bit pricey):
>
> http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MAVNWLPT/

I found that very good on ceiling - no soaking, quite stiff and
doesn't tear so much easier to get into place. However around windows
and doors I found the the stiffness a problem as it makes it difficult
to get it into all the corners and edges.

Matt

Weatherlawyer

Nov 17, 2011, 8:48:22 AM11/17/11
> that's my best option.

If you go over it with a sander briskly, dust it, then dampen the wall
with a little thin pva and go over it with with polyfiller with a hawk
and trowel, it should be a quick enough job you'd be happy with.

harry

Nov 17, 2011, 12:31:34 PM11/17/11
> and trowel, it should be a quick enough job you'd be happy with.- Hide quoted text -

+1
Above is right.
Try using a spatula instead of a plasterers float.
A lot easier to use. Stanley makes one. Semi rigid bit of sheet
plastic with wooden/other handle. You use a "wiping" action.
They have them in most DIYplaces.
Press hard,don't try to put a layer on, just fill the cracks.
Easy you will find.

PeterC

Nov 17, 2011, 12:44:30 PM11/17/11
That's worth knowing. I wonder if there's a method for doing it without
exposing an external corner with raw edges.

The Medway Handyman

Nov 17, 2011, 2:39:05 PM11/17/11

fred

Nov 17, 2011, 4:48:14 PM11/17/11
In article <12x28mfoeyddb.v...@40tude.net>, PeterC
<giraffe...@homecall.co.uk> writes
Their regular virgin pulp range is perfectly adequate and much cheaper:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MAVLP/

I have used it here and most visitors think the walls are skimmed
unlined. To avoid oversoaking I cut and pasted one sheet at a time,
stepped back, admired the rest of the work for 5mins then put up the
sheet. Previously I had pasted one, cut the next, then put up the former
and so on, the result was too much delay, too much soak and shrinkage
gaps on drying.

One word of caution with that company, they are small and just cannot
turn around orders in the timescales that you would expect from an
online presence. I have previously placed an urgent order then got an
email 5 days later telling me there had been a CC problem and could we
go through it manually. With 5 days delay I had to tell them to stuff it
and buy locally as I expect 1-2day processing on internet orders.

That said, they are a nice bunch with good hearts, just (IME) a bit
overwhelmed by their success. Just don't anything to arrive with in 5
days.

Weatherlawyer

Nov 17, 2011, 7:30:37 PM11/17/11
If he's goingover the whole wall and all of them he will be done in an
hour and ready to sand again in 2 with a flexible steel, plaserers
float.

Terry Casey

Nov 18, 2011, 5:01:29 AM11/18/11
In article <lQepITBeEYxOFwPC@y.z>, n...@for.mail says...

> http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MAVLP/
>

> One word of caution with that company, they are small and just cannot
> turn around orders in the timescales that you would expect from an
> online presence. I have previously placed an urgent order then got an
> email 5 days later telling me there had been a CC problem and could we
> go through it manually. With 5 days delay I had to tell them to stuff it
> and buy locally as I expect 1-2day processing on internet orders.
>
> That said, they are a nice bunch with good hearts, just (IME) a bit
> overwhelmed by their success. Just don't anything to arrive with in 5
> days.

They do seem to a bit behind the times - I looked at their 'Contact Us'
page to find their location (Middlesborough) and found this:

Please Note that we are closed on Monday 30th May for the Bank Holiday.

--

Terry