Re-using ceramic tiles

Invisible Man

Jan 11, 2009, 9:52:44 AM1/11/09
Our kitchen is fully tiled including windowsill etc.

Tiles are Pilkingon, a little under 200mm square and about 6mm thick.
They appear to be glazed gloss ceramic with an indented diamond pattern.

They appear to be obsolete.

No idea how they are fixed.

We want to make some changes to the kitchen. We need a few tiles for
areas that were not previously tiled but do not need at least 30 of the
tiles that are currently in place.

Anyone know if there is any chance of getting tiles off in one piece so
they can be re-used? Photo at:

http://flickr.com/photos/billbaillie/3187212253/

Invisible Man

Jan 11, 2009, 10:42:51 AM1/11/09
PS. Needless to say if anyone knows where I can find some.....

RW

Jan 11, 2009, 11:32:41 AM1/11/09

"Invisible Man" <Invi...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

I know someone who needed to do much the same thing.
His method was to hire a "Reciprocating Saw" and slowly cut down behind
individual tiles to clear the adhesive.
Diamond edged blades were what he used.

Mind you.......The tiles being removed in a 10ft square bathroom had actual
9ct gold diamond shape edge inlays and were being replaced because the Arab
lady "Didn't like the gold effect and wanted plain whte" 2 years after their
installation ! Only £120 a tile FFS!
You can work out what the entire room cost fully tiled at 12" x 9" tiles if
you like

meow...@care2.com

Jan 11, 2009, 11:38:10 AM1/11/09

I've found that sometimes removing the grout is enough to cause tiles
to come loose - but often not of course.

NT

Stuart Noble

Jan 11, 2009, 1:09:11 PM1/11/09
They always come off easily when you're going to dump them.
IME the adhesive sticks to the tile better than the wall so, if you
don't mind damaging the plaster a bit, they should come off intact.
Leave them overnight in a bucket of soapy water to get the adhesive off.

gilli

Jan 11, 2009, 2:28:49 PM1/11/09

I have removed many tiles by heating them with a heat gun...

If you are patient enough, they will nearly fall off..
might need a bit of prying to shorten the process...obviously if you
are doing a whole field of tiles, you might have to break
the first one to get prying access. I pried with a stiff scraper
knife to spread the force...just gently
while continuing the heating of the tile...put something soft below
to let the tile fall on (or grab with a pair of
pliers so it does not break,) then scrape the adhesive off before it
cools(both on tile and wall area )

I suggest good ventilation as fumes from softening adhesive might not
be nice.

Results vary depending on the original adhesive, but it is worth a
try.
I have had varying success, but it always works on a large percentage
of the tiles.
In a flat I had once, where the neighbours were very sensitive to
noise, I even used a torch to do the entire
kitchen ...obviously hotter than the heat gun, but more
hazardous...but quieter...

good luck.
David G

Matty F

Jan 12, 2009, 1:47:46 AM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 7:09 am, Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Leave them overnight in a bucket of soapy water to get the adhesive off.

Is that right? I have some very expensive tiles here with adhesive on.
I'll do an experiment tonight.

Stuart Noble

Jan 12, 2009, 3:12:33 AM1/12/09

Yes, hot water and washing up liquid.

Dave Liquorice

Jan 12, 2009, 2:39:45 AM1/12/09
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:47:46 -0800 (PST), Matty F wrote:

>> Leave them overnight in a bucket of soapy water to get the adhesive
>> off.
>
> Is that right? I have some very expensive tiles here with adhesive on.
> I'll do an experiment tonight.

Depends on the adhesive, ordinary stuff will soften if left in water water
proof stuff as one might use in a bathroom won't...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 12, 2009, 4:03:38 AM1/12/09
In article
<e5675e0d-30cb-429d...@p2g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

Depends on the type. Common tile adhesive (water resistant) will soften
eventually. Mortar based (waterproof) won't.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Dingley

Jan 12, 2009, 7:57:32 AM1/12/09
On 12 Jan, 06:47, Matty F <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 7:09 am, Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > Leave them overnight in a bucket of soapy water to get the adhesive off.
>
> Is that right? I have some very expensive tiles here with adhesive on.

Sometimes. Not usually for good jobs in bathrooms though, as it
depends on the adhesive / grout used. Epoxy grouts can be really
awkward to get off.

If it didn't work, do it again with hydrochloric acid (muriatic /
brick acid / wall acid from a builder's merchant). Don't over-soak in
acid though, as it can highlight any damage to the glazed front
surface.

A good tool for sawing tiles off walls in a fit state to re-apply them
is the Fein Mutleymaster with a carbide blade, but I hesitate to start
_that_ thread again. 8-)

Matty F

Jan 13, 2009, 12:00:14 AM1/13/09
On Jan 13, 1:57 am, Andy Dingley <ding...@codesmiths.com> wrote:
> On 12 Jan, 06:47, Matty F <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 12, 7:09 am, Stuart Noble <stuart_no...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > > Leave them overnight in a bucket of soapy water to get the adhesive off.
>
> > Is that right? I have some very expensive tiles here with adhesive on.
>
> Sometimes. Not usually for good jobs in bathrooms though, as it
> depends on the adhesive / grout used. Epoxy grouts can be really
> awkward to get off.

After a day's soaking, the adhesive is slighly softer but not much.
It's grey and looks like cement. When it was taken off the wall it
took the wallboard off with it.
Not to worry, there are plenty of tiles with a soft white adhesive
instead.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 13, 2009, 3:58:57 AM1/13/09
In article
<ac7f0e66-b0dd-435e...@l33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,

Matty F <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> After a day's soaking, the adhesive is slighly softer but not much.
> It's grey and looks like cement. When it was taken off the wall it
> took the wallboard off with it.

If they were mounted on plasterboard I doubt it is mortar so should soften
enough to remove.

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *