Stove rope adhesive ?

sndev...@pensbyboys.wirral.sch.uk

Feb 2, 2009, 3:17:04 AM2/2/09
I've just replaced the special rope that goes into the doors of my
wood burning stove, just seemed to press in. Trouble is sometimes when
I open the doors it falls out. Should it be stuck in and with what ?
I've got fire cement sealant but wouldn't this just make it hard ?
Anything from screwfix ??

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 2, 2009, 4:22:35 AM2/2/09

Y'know i had a proper adhesive, and it didn't work, so I used some UHU
and it seems to have stuck..whiffs a bit when it gets hot..

andrew

Feb 2, 2009, 5:07:24 AM2/2/09
sndev...@pensbyboys.wirral.sch.uk wrote:

Holts exhaust sealant, use it sparingly in the slot behind the rope. I think
it contains waterglass which sets if the door gets hot enough but once set
it is brittle so you don't want it on the front of the rope.

AJH

Dave Liquorice

Feb 2, 2009, 4:57:11 AM2/2/09
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 00:17:04 -0800 (PST),
sndev...@pensbyboys.wirral.sch.uk wrote:

> Should it be stuck in and with what ?

Yes, with stove rope adhesive/glue. Didn't the place you bought the rope
from sell it as well?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Baker

Feb 2, 2009, 5:16:42 AM2/2/09

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 2, 2009, 5:19:29 AM2/2/09
yep. The brittlness is what ***s you there.

thats why I used a rubbery one.

Doors are not normally much over 100-150C..

andrew

Feb 2, 2009, 6:07:49 AM2/2/09
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> The brittlness is what ***s you there.

Not really in my experience because it just soaks into the back of the rope
and sets there and in the back of the slot, the front of the rope remains
flexible. I think I run my stove too hot to use a rubbery compound anywhere
on it. Because the stove is "overdriven" it causes the brick chimney (fire
cement lined) to act as a thermal store like a masonry stove.

This is quite the opposite to the pellet stove where none of the surfaces
get warm and the flue exit is low temperature so I can seal with high
temperature silicone.

AJH

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 2, 2009, 7:18:49 AM2/2/09
andrew wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> The brittlness is what ***s you there.
>>

> Not really in my experience because it just soaks into the back of the rope
> and sets there and in the back of the slot, the front of the rope remains
> flexible. I think I run my stove too hot to use a rubbery compound anywhere
> on it. Because the stove is "overdriven" it causes the brick chimney (fire
> cement lined) to act as a thermal store like a masonry stove.

Min failed because to close the doors properly used a lot of pressure,
which sheared the glue line.

Hence use of flexible.

You never glue a flexible to a rigid with rigid glue if you want it to
to stay flexible..

fred

Feb 2, 2009, 1:22:06 PM2/2/09
In article <123357712...@proxy02.news.clara.net>, The Natural
Philosopher <a@b.c> writes

>Min failed because to close the doors properly used a lot of pressure,
>which sheared the glue line.
>
>Hence use of flexible.
>
>You never glue a flexible to a rigid with rigid glue if you want it to
>to stay flexible..

Would high temperature silicone work as 'glue' for the rope? IIRC it's
good for 250degC which should be fine for the door and flexible.
--
fred