Newton Membrane

seani

Aug 14, 2006, 11:47:26 AM8/14/06
I recently commisioned an independent damp report, and the upshot is
that I need to remove the plaster to a height of about 1m in several
downstairs rooms, and recover, inserting a Newton nembrane where
appropriate.

Is this the sort of thing that any decent plasterer should be able to
take in their stride, or do I really need to find one with specific
experience?

Any recommendations for a decent plasterer capable of doing the job in
Derbyshire?

Phil

Aug 14, 2006, 11:51:19 AM8/14/06

Seems that there may be more to a 'Newton membrane' than just sticking
it behind some plaster:

http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/installation%20guide/installsurveyorsguide.htm

Sounds like overkill unless it's below ground level etc...

Dave Plowman (News)

Aug 14, 2006, 3:04:29 PM8/14/06
In article <1155570446....@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

seani <ing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently commisioned an independent damp report, and the upshot is
> that I need to remove the plaster to a height of about 1m in several
> downstairs rooms, and recover, inserting a Newton nembrane where
> appropriate.

Is this ground floor or semi-basement? A Newton membrane is only normally
fitted below ground level.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mark

Aug 14, 2006, 6:36:15 PM8/14/06

seani <ing...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I recently commisioned an independent damp report, and the upshot is
> that I need to remove the plaster to a height of about 1m in several
> downstairs rooms, and recover, inserting a Newton nembrane where
> appropriate.
>
> Is this the sort of thing that any decent plasterer should be able to
> take in their stride, or do I really need to find one with specific
> experience?

I've used Newton membrane a few times its not especially difficult to work
with but I would try and find a builder that had done this type of work
before,
I don't think I would trust most plasterers
with fixing anything to a wall. I think Newton have an approved Contractors
list if you email them.
http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk

-

seani

Aug 15, 2006, 5:16:18 AM8/15/06

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <1155570446....@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> seani <ing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I recently commisioned an independent damp report, and the upshot is
> > that I need to remove the plaster to a height of about 1m in several
> > downstairs rooms, and recover, inserting a Newton nembrane where
> > appropriate.
>
> Is this ground floor or semi-basement? A Newton membrane is only normally
> fitted below ground level.

It's a fairly old (1885) stone built cottage with concrete floors and
no gap under the house. The back garden slopes down towards the house
and although there are drains and soakaways, these don't always do the
job. I'm also looking to rearrange the drainage and guttering to take
some of the pressure off problem areas.

The previous owners seem to have take the option of slapping as many
layers of paper and paint on as possible, and left the drains and
gutters almost completely blocked in some cases. I'm hoping that some
fairly simple maintenance should improve matters considerably. It isn't
*that* bad at the moment, but I don't want to be replacing skirting
boards, redecorating etc. without solving the problem.

seani

Aug 15, 2006, 5:17:43 AM8/15/06

I've taken your advice. It's quite a fundamental requirement before we
consider the rest of the property, so I won't take any chances.

Mark

Aug 15, 2006, 1:30:25 PM8/15/06

I try and avoid making suggestions regarding how to deal with damp there is
no one size fits all solutions

Despite what the two opposing opinions say.

But in the case you describe ^ before spending money fitting an internal
membrane you should carefully evaluate the external drainage away from the
wall.

If a French drain has already been laid it may have become blocked and need
reinstating.

http://www.ihbc.org.uk/Technical%20Papers/French%20Drains.htm

the internal walls should be cleaned of all previous plaster and re
plastered using Lime plaster.

only when you have exhausted all other options and still have an
unacceptable damp wall start thinking membrane.

-

Sean Inglis

Aug 15, 2006, 2:45:07 PM8/15/06
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:30:25 +0000, Mark wrote:

> "seani" <ing...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I've used Newton membrane a few times its not especially difficult to
>>> work
>>> with but I would try and find a builder that had done this type of work
>>> before,
>>> I don't think I would trust most plasterers
>>> with fixing anything to a wall. I think Newton have an approved
>>> Contractors
>>> list if you email them.
>>> http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk
>>>

>> I've taken your advice. It's quite a fundamental requirement before we
>> consider the rest of the property, so I won't take any chances.
>>

> I try and avoid making suggestions regarding how to deal with damp there is
> no one size fits all solutions

This is why I opted for an independent survey (www.pdoyle.net if anyone's
interested - extremely thorough and very helpful)

In this case I'm following expert advice, but as the expert in question
studiously avoids recommendations for firms to carry out the work so as to
remain independent, I just need someone to execute it.

> Despite what the two opposing opinions say.
>
> But in the case you describe ^ before spending money fitting an internal
> membrane you should carefully evaluate the external drainage away from the
> wall.
>
> If a French drain has already been laid it may have become blocked and need
> reinstating.
>
> http://www.ihbc.org.uk/Technical%20Papers/French%20Drains.htm

There are:

1) Two standard drains

2) A soakaway

3) Several drains that resemble the french drains in your link.

The french drains look a little clogged, but water seems to run freely -
I've removed what I can, but doing more means chipping the long drain
covers away from the cement and I'm doing other less ball-aching jobs
first.

The soak-away was completely blocked when we moved in. Two bin-bags full of
viscous black gunk later, and it drains like a champ. I'm also rerouting
the guttering so that it pours into the "real" drain and that should
massively reduce the pressure on the soak-away.

In advance of any works, I'll be stripping the layers of wallpaper inside,
removing the skirting board and carpets and chipping away any loose and
crumbly plaster. Then letting the whole lot breath for a while.

Hopefully this should help matters.

> the internal walls should be cleaned of all previous plaster and
re
> plastered using Lime plaster.
>
> only when you have exhausted all other options and still have an
> unacceptable damp wall start thinking membrane.

As I say, it was expert advice. At this stage, I'd rather overdo things
and be able to get on with the rest of our renovations. I do appreciate
the pointers though (from everyone :-)).

Thanks

Sean