Disposable chisels?

The Medway Handyman

Oct 23, 2008, 1:19:46 PM10/23/08
Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws - chuck them
away & buy a new one, cheaper than getting them sharpened, Stanley knife
blades have always been disposable, I've got a Stanley plane with
disposable blades, circular saw blades - cheaper to buy a new one, same
with drill bits really.

But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.

Does such a thing exist?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Peter Andrews

Oct 23, 2008, 1:33:34 PM10/23/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Get your grandaughter to sharpen them for you while you build her that
rubber band gun!

Peter

Kevin

Oct 23, 2008, 1:39:17 PM10/23/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws - chuck them
> away & buy a new one, cheaper than getting them sharpened, Stanley knife
> blades have always been disposable, I've got a Stanley plane with
> disposable blades, circular saw blades - cheaper to buy a new one, same
> with drill bits really.
>
> But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

if you don't use them often they don't need sharpening that often either :-)
and it takes next to no time to sharpen one if its not been abused

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Owain

Oct 23, 2008, 2:11:44 PM10/23/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.
> Does such a thing exist?

I think a lot of carpenters just use Aldidly screwdriver sets and a big
hammer for this purpose.

Owain

meow...@care2.com

Oct 23, 2008, 2:38:36 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 6:19 pm, "The Medway Handyman"

<davidl...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws - chuck them
> away & buy a new one, cheaper than getting them sharpened, Stanley knife
> blades have always been disposable,  I've got a Stanley plane with
> disposable blades,  circular saw blades - cheaper to buy a new one, same
> with drill bits really.
>
> But why not chisels?  I don't use them often, but I like them sharp.  PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

You can get chisels for 33p, but at those sort of prices they dont
come sharpened - or even ground down to an edge, so dont fit your
requirement.

Chisels are quick & easy to resharpen if youre not going to use them
for fine finish work, just use an angle grinder, light pressure and
plenty of rest time so it doesnt get too hot. Fine for rough and
middling work.

NT

The Medway Handyman

Oct 23, 2008, 3:06:40 PM10/23/08

Really? Typical job might be chopping out a mortice for a lock (after
drilling out waste). Nothing that would show.

I've got a Rexon bench belt sander - that do?

TheOldFellow

Oct 23, 2008, 3:45:12 PM10/23/08
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:19:46 GMT
"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws - chuck them
> away & buy a new one, cheaper than getting them sharpened, Stanley knife
> blades have always been disposable, I've got a Stanley plane with
> disposable blades, circular saw blades - cheaper to buy a new one, same
> with drill bits really.
>
> But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

I felt the same way until I discovered the 'Scary Sharp' method of
sharpening. A piece of plate glass, ten or so increasingly fine grades
of emery paper stuck down with 3M spray adhesive. Start with the 80
grit and move up to the 1500 grit - ten minutes max.

Of course it doesn't work if you use your chisels as screwdrivers or to
open paint cans, but for normally worn chisels it's too easy to miss.

R.

meow...@care2.com

Oct 23, 2008, 3:51:51 PM10/23/08
On Oct 23, 8:06 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
<davidl...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

Well theyre fine for that. 3 for £1 at poundland - but gotta grind em
first. I use such chisels for any job where they're liable to get
damaged - abuse them any way you like at that price.

> I've got a Rexon bench belt sander - that do?

I've never tried doing it that way. I use the angle grinder for a lot
of sharpening (with a grit disc) as its so quick & convenient. The
result is quite sharp, though certainly not razor sharp. The main
issue is that the grit speed is way above ideal, so continuous
grinding would overheat the metal quickly, ruining it. Solution: use
minimum pressure, grind for 20 secs max, let it cool 30 secs before
continuing. Very fast way to work.

NT

Tanner-'op

Oct 23, 2008, 5:17:16 PM10/23/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws -
> chuck them away.

Use these for the jobs that ruin saws and keep the Disston saws for the good
work - pays dividends.

(snipped) cheaper than getting them sharpened,

But YOU break a saw in to the feel of your hand - what's the matter, 3
months of research didn't teach how to sharpen and set a hand or tenon saw -
bloody Philistine!

> Stanley knife blades have always been disposable, I've got a Stanley
> plane with disposable blades,

That's not a tool - it's a D-i-Y toy - a bit like that Tonka toy you've got
as a van!

circular saw blades - cheaper to buy a
> new one,

Depends on what you mean by a circular saw - the one with a 6" blade or the
proper one with a 3 foot blade?

>same with drill bits really.

What's the matter Dave, don't you *KNOW* how to sharpen a drill bit?
Easiest thing in the world to do, and I wouldn't dream of throwing a drill
bit away - unless it's broken or the temper or tungsten bit has gone through
heat - believe it or not, I've still got 1/2" drill bits from my
apprenticeship days.

> But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.

That's what separates the tradesmen from the *HANDYMEN* Dave. *NO* self
respecting tradesman would spend months breaking-in new, high quality tools
and then *THROW* them away because they're *blunt* - and they actually make
time during the day for "tool maintenance".

It's a PITA to buy and break in new tools - bloody amateur!

> Does such a thing exist?

Yes, you buy them from the likes of the Pound shop or the local market!

Tanner-'op

--
Who has no need for subliminal advertising in his signature

Tanner-'op

Oct 23, 2008, 5:25:53 PM10/23/08

That's when you need a sharp, good quality wood chisel the most - especially
on an internal door.

And you reckon that you do "a *good* class of work! I'd hate to come behind
you and put that job right, especially if was a hardwood door - or even a
"printed" finished 'mock' hardwood (softwood) one!

> I've got a Rexon bench belt sander - that do?

Funnily enough, if you know what you're doing (and you obviously don't) you
can make a great job of grinding a correct bevel into a chisel with one -
and then use the old Arkansas oil stone to finish it off with an extremely
sharp edge.

nightjar

Oct 23, 2008, 5:44:40 PM10/23/08

> Really? Typical job might be chopping out a mortice for a lock (after
> drilling out waste). Nothing that would show.

Quicker and a much better job with a router, a mortice cutter and a simple
jig.

Colin Bignell

dennis@home

Oct 23, 2008, 5:46:28 PM10/23/08

"Tanner-'op" <tannerop@i......nvalid.com> wrote in message

> Funnily enough, if you know what you're doing (and you obviously don't)
> you can make a great job of grinding a correct bevel into a chisel with
> one - and then use the old Arkansas oil stone to finish it off with an
> extremely sharp edge.

I use an oil stone, its twenty years old.

I now have some diamond plates that I can use for rough grinding without
getting the bench grinder out.

Its easy to sharpen chisels and plane irons.

John Rumm

Oct 23, 2008, 6:26:38 PM10/23/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws - chuck them
> away & buy a new one, cheaper than getting them sharpened, Stanley knife
> blades have always been disposable, I've got a Stanley plane with
> disposable blades, circular saw blades - cheaper to buy a new one, same
> with drill bits really.
>
> But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

El cheapo chisel and a belt sander will give a workable disposable tool
without much fuss.

I have a friend who a chippy, and most of his chisel collection he
treats with no care at all (he does tend to buy the 10 for £20 packs!)
on the grounds that he can use them in all sorts of ways for unorthodox
things and not have to worry about damaging the tool. Over the years I
have seen him strip tiles, cut pipes, chase walls, lift paving blocks
and carry out many other "non conventional" jobs with chisels, because
it "gets the job done" and the cost of the tool can be easily accounted
for in the reduction in time to do the job. On the odd occasion he needs
a sharp chisel, a bench grinder or belt sander will be pressed into
service.

He says "any fool can do the job with the right tools, it takes skill to
do it without them!" (I watched him do the skirtings in a large
conservatory the other day - total tool set on site: one jack saw, one
pencil, one tape measure, one Makita combi, and some plugs and screws.
All mitres cut freehand without the aid of even a combination square.
All internal joints scribed with the complicated bit "sawn" out with the
panel saw rather than a coping saw! Perfect result, about 90 mins
duration including fixing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice

Oct 23, 2008, 6:39:37 PM10/23/08
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:17:16 +0100, Tanner-'op wrote:

>> Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws -
>> chuck them away.
>

> But YOU break a saw in to the feel of your hand - what's the matter, 3
> months of research didn't teach how to sharpen and set a hand or tenon
> saw

You can't sharpen a hard point saw...

>> same with drill bits really.
>
> What's the matter Dave, don't you *KNOW* how to sharpen a drill bit?
> Easiest thing in the world to do,

Yep and it makes a tremendous difference to how well they drill holes.
Also drills straight from the packet/shop are not really sharp either.

> and they actually make time during the day for "tool maintenance".

More of a quick couple of swipes on the stone when the edge starts to go
rather than waiting 'till it's blunt and requireing 5 or 10 mins to get
the edge back.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Frank Erskine

Oct 23, 2008, 8:11:21 PM10/23/08
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:38:36 -0700 (PDT), meow...@care2.com wrote:

>Chisels are quick & easy to resharpen if youre not going to use them
>for fine finish work, just use an angle grinder,

An angle grinder? Don't you mean a bench grinder, followed by an
oilstone?

I get the idea that all former joiner finesse is disappearing
rapidly...

:-)
--
Frank Erskine

meow...@care2.com

Oct 23, 2008, 10:31:43 PM10/23/08
Frank Erskine wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:38:36 -0700 (PDT), meow...@care2.com wrote:
>

> >Chisels are quick & easy to resharpen if youre not going to use them
> >for fine finish work, just use an angle grinder,
>
> An angle grinder? Don't you mean a bench grinder, followed by an
> oilstone?

no. Angle grinders can sharpen a whole pile of things very quickly,
and give a good enough edge for drill bits, and various tools that
dont need the finest sharpness.

> I get the idea that all former joiner finesse is disappearing
> rapidly...
>
> :-)

There's always non-fine work to do too. Why spend extra time on it for
the same result?

NT

nightjar

Oct 24, 2008, 4:05:58 AM10/24/08

"TheOldFellow" <theold...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I felt the same way until I discovered the 'Scary Sharp' method of
> sharpening. A piece of plate glass, ten or so increasingly fine grades
> of emery paper stuck down with 3M spray adhesive. Start with the 80
> grit and move up to the 1500 grit - ten minutes max.
>
> Of course it doesn't work if you use your chisels as screwdrivers or to
> open paint cans, but for normally worn chisels it's too easy to miss.

A lot of people will also need a jig to hold the chisel at the same angle on
two different strokes.

Colin Bignell

TheOldFellow

Oct 24, 2008, 5:12:29 AM10/24/08
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:05:58 +0100
"nightjar" <cpb@<insert my surname here>.me.uk> wrote:

> "TheOldFellow" <theold...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I felt the same way until I discovered the 'Scary Sharp' method of

> > sharpening.<snip>

> A lot of people will also need a jig to hold the chisel at the same angle on
> two different strokes.

I agree, although with practice it's not necessary for the touch-up
sharpening to put an edge back on a well profiled chisel. This is
good:

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/165/videos/sandpaper-sharpening/

I use a jig for regrinding, but not for touch up - in fact I probably
put a second bevel on - it works so why worry.

R.

Doug Piranha

Oct 24, 2008, 7:14:54 AM10/24/08

Brian - you really are a bullying wanker. If you're such a hotshot,
how come you live in a council house in Caerphilly?

Man at B&Q

Oct 24, 2008, 7:27:55 AM10/24/08
On Oct 23, 10:17 pm, "Tanner-'op" <tannerop@i......nvalid.com> wrote:
> The Medway Handyman wrote:
> > Seems to me everything is disposable these days, hardpoint saws -

> months of research didn't teach how to sharpen and set a hand or tenon saw -

My Grandad used to sharpen his own saws, unfortunately he passed away
before I got the chance to learn. So, how does one sharpen a hardpoint
saw?

MBQ

whisky-dave

Oct 24, 2008, 8:25:18 AM10/24/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> But why not chisels? I don't use them often, but I like them sharp. PITA
> sharpening chisels & I really don't have the time.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

yes from the local poundshops, I used them to hack away at the brickwork to
put a 2 way switch socket on the wall, didn;t have the proper mortar chisel
set
and the poundshop chisels did the job.

Baz

Oct 24, 2008, 8:47:46 AM10/24/08

"Tanner-'op" <tannerop@i......nvalid.com> wrote in message
> The Medway Handyman wrote:
>> meow...@care2.com wrote:
>>> On Oct 23, 6:19 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
>>> <davidl...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
<SNIP>>

> Funnily enough, if you know what you're doing (and you obviously don't)
> you can make a great job of grinding a correct bevel into a chisel with
> one - and then use the old Arkansas oil stone to finish it off with an
> extremely sharp edge.
>

> Tanner-'op

Who the F&*$ does "Tannerop" think he is.
What a rude person.
If he thinks he knows so much, he should share it rather than rubbish
everyone!!

Baz

Message has been deleted

stuart noble

Oct 24, 2008, 10:00:43 AM10/24/08
And builders chucking wheelbarrows and shovels in the skip because they
weren't worth cleaning. May all have to change I think

The Medway Handyman

Oct 24, 2008, 10:34:44 AM10/24/08
Doug Piranha wrote:

> Brian - you really are a bullying wanker. If you're such a hotshot,
> how come you live in a council house in Caerphilly?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

The Medway Handyman

Oct 24, 2008, 10:37:56 AM10/24/08
Tanner-'op wrote:
<Snip Drivel>

> Tanner-'op

> Who has no need for subliminal advertising in his signature

Because he never achieved anything worth advertising.

You could always use the sig line;

Tanner-'op
I was a foreman & I live in a council house.

Wanker!

The Medway Handyman

Oct 24, 2008, 11:27:46 AM10/24/08
Tanner-'op wrote:
<SNIP ABUSE>

I'm not going to bother replying to the points you make in yet another
pathetic attempt at a personal attack. I'm geting bored with it and I'm
sure eveyone else is as well.

It doesn't make you look big or clever - it simply makes you look like a
complete twat.

You might like to reflect on the fact that around 70% of my work now comes
from previous customers who want more work done and around 10% comes from
their reccommendations.

If you can't post something positive and helpful then do us all a favour &
FOAD.

George

Oct 24, 2008, 11:33:12 AM10/24/08

"nightjar .me.uk>" <cpb@<insert my surname here> wrote in message

Do you normally have a little dance when doing work. :-P

Tim S

Oct 24, 2008, 11:54:39 AM10/24/08
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Dave,

It's time to discover the 2nd biggest productivity enhancement of USENET:
the killfile.

The 1st is pull the ADSL jack out of the wall ;->

Cheers

Tim

The Medway Handyman

Oct 24, 2008, 1:34:27 PM10/24/08
Tim S wrote:
> The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:
>
> Dave,
>
> It's time to discover the 2nd biggest productivity enhancement of
> USENET: the killfile.

I don't need to killfile him now I know he lives in a council house in
Caerphilly! I haven't stopped laughing since I found out.

The Wanderer

Oct 24, 2008, 1:44:15 PM10/24/08
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:34:27 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> Tim S wrote:
>> The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> It's time to discover the 2nd biggest productivity enhancement of
>> USENET: the killfile.
>
> I don't need to killfile him now I know he lives in a council house in
> Caerphilly! I haven't stopped laughing since I found out.

But this is usenet, people can - and do - make all sorts of unsubstantiated
claims.

I just find it sad that people have to get into personal slanging matches
in this NG.

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Tanner-'op

Oct 24, 2008, 2:34:39 PM10/24/08

Wrong name - and It takes one to recognise one that's for sure!

>If you're such a hotshot, how come you live in a council house in
>Caerphilly?

Where the hell is that?

And as for living accomodation - it ain't a council house!

Tanner-'op

Tanner-'op

Oct 24, 2008, 2:35:41 PM10/24/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Doug Piranha wrote:
>

>> Brian - you really are a bullying wanker. If you're such a hotshot,
>> how come you live in a council house in Caerphilly?
>
> Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Don't build your hopes up Dave ;-)

Tanner-'op

Oct 24, 2008, 2:37:23 PM10/24/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Tanner-'op wrote:
> <SNIP ABUSE>
>
> I'm not going to bother replying to the points you make in yet another
> pathetic attempt at a personal attack. I'm geting bored with it and
> I'm sure eveyone else is as well.
>
> It doesn't make you look big or clever - it simply makes you look
> like a complete twat.
>
> You might like to reflect on the fact that around 70% of my work now
> comes from previous customers who want more work done and around 10%
> comes from their reccommendations.

And you still have to post in a DIY group to get your information - oh and
use throw-away chisels!

The Medway Handyman

Oct 24, 2008, 3:55:27 PM10/24/08

Tanner-'op, the Council house cowboy from Caerphilly!

Oh what a loser you are.

Even McDonalds workers can afford houses in Caerphilly.

Kevin

Oct 24, 2008, 4:04:05 PM10/24/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Tanner-'op wrote:
>> The Medway Handyman wrote:

>>> Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
>> Don't build your hopes up Dave ;-)
>
> Tanner-'op, the Council house cowboy from Caerphilly!
>
> Oh what a loser you are.
>
> Even McDonalds workers can afford houses in Caerphilly.

when are you going to learn you look just a bigger prat rising to the
bait, anyone that runs a business needs to act differently to an
individual, I would not dream of posting some of the replies you do then
put my business name as a sig

ask Gerald Ratner

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

geoff

Oct 24, 2008, 6:28:35 PM10/24/08
In message <WSpMk.91227$Zl2...@newsfe01.ams2>, Kevin
<donte...@ntlworld.com> writes
But then ...

Some of us don't care any more

--
geoff

meow...@care2.com

Oct 24, 2008, 6:48:44 PM10/24/08

DIY is where the knowledge is found. The average tradesman doesn't
have the level of knowledge found here, and doesn't need to.

NT

Message has been deleted

John Rumm

Oct 24, 2008, 9:48:07 PM10/24/08

By replacing it with a nice new one usually...

--
Cheers,

John.

The Wanderer

Oct 25, 2008, 2:55:16 AM10/25/08

I'm minded of the aphorism

' He who argues with a fool risks confusing the onlookers as to who is the
bigger fool'.

nightjar

Oct 25, 2008, 6:59:31 AM10/25/08

"George" <lo...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

It keeps the staff entertained.

Colin Bignell

~misfit~

Oct 25, 2008, 7:19:15 PM10/25/08
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Tanner-'op" typed:

One word:

Wanker.
--
Shaun.

Doug Piranha

Oct 27, 2008, 6:37:06 AM10/27/08
On Oct 24, 6:34 pm, "Tanner-'op" <tannerop@i......nvalid.com> wrote:
> >> --
> >> Who has no need for subliminal advertising in his signature
>
> > Brian - you really are a bullying wanker.
>
> Wrong name - and It takes one to recognise one that's for sure!
>
> >If you're such a hotshot, how come you live in a council house in
> >Caerphilly?
>
> Where the hell is that?
>
> And as for living accomodation - it ain't a council house!
>
> Tanner-'op

Uhuh.......

Brian, how's your '99 Daewoo Lanos going these days? Any more bother
with it after you fitted the new ECU?