Painting a radiator

Stephen

Jul 2, 2010, 1:56:41 PM7/2/10
I've rubbed down some scuffed up radiators in my house, with wet and dry its
as smooth as a babies bum. First go at rubbing a rad down, took ages lol but
will be worth it or well cheaper than replacing.

So do I have to prime it or just paint it by brush with radiator enamel or
aerosol for a nicer finish ?

Thanks

ericp

Jul 2, 2010, 2:50:55 PM7/2/10

I always use white car undercoat aerosol on them. The stuff that is a
bit like enamel paint. Seems nearest to the original finish and easy
to apply with masking.

Nitro®

Jul 2, 2010, 4:47:58 PM7/2/10

"ericp" <er...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

With aerosols I would add that you start spraying 3-4 inches before
making contact with the target surface. Also, work left to right on the
first pass, release spray after passing target surface then repeat in the
opposite direction.

Do not try to cover it in one go, give it 2-3 coats to avoid 'runs'.

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.

John

Jul 2, 2010, 5:17:31 PM7/2/10

"Nitro®" <nitr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Perhaps I am unusual, but I have had very good results from ordinary white
gloss.

One radiator that I did spray with something (years ago) - yellowed and
crazed.

I always remove the radiator and lay it flat to paint it. The difficult bit
is resisting putting it back too soon and getting hand prints on the paint.

NT

Jul 2, 2010, 7:28:58 PM7/2/10
On Jul 2, 10:17 pm, "John" <Who90nos...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Nitro®" <nitro...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > "ericp" <er...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

You can paint them with anything, car paints, model enamels, household
gloss or even emulsion. emulsion's the worst, it darkens in time and
doesnt clean well. Oil gloss is better but a lot weaker than the other
2. I'd go with car spray or an enamel.

NT

Spamlet

Jul 2, 2010, 7:09:53 PM7/2/10

"John" <Who90...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
And, despite their popularity with the graffiti brigade, there is not much
actual paint in an aerosol can, so it may be cheaper to buy a new rad...

Andrew Gabriel

Jul 3, 2010, 5:20:42 AM7/3/10
In article <i0lu8t$1up$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

"Spamlet" <spam.m...@invalid.invalid> writes:
> And, despite their popularity with the graffiti brigade, there is not much
> actual paint in an aerosol can, so it may be cheaper to buy a new rad...

Personally, I hate painted radiators, particularly painted the original
colour which is pointless. The finish never comes close to the
manufacturer's original. I would certainly consider replacing a radiator
that was in need of decorating (and just did one for my parents, although
in that case we really couldn't work out why it wasn't spewing water
everywhere given how rust it had got).

There are a few things which always puzzle me about decorators...
1) Why do they always paint radiators (as per my gripe above)?
2) Why is that they can make a superb job of painting straight line
boundaries along skirting and architrave, and even between walls which
are different colours, but are totally incapable of avoiding leaving
paintbrush dabs all over the sides and faces of switches and sockets?
3) Seeing how they won't remove switches and sockets, how is it that
they manage to carefully paint the screw threads of every ceiling rose
so you can only ever open it again with a hammer?

"The Gasman Cometh" is now playing in my head...

--
Andrew Gabriel

ransley

Jul 3, 2010, 7:12:13 AM7/3/10

If its bare metal prime it, for best finish spray it

David WE Roberts

Jul 4, 2010, 6:37:09 AM7/4/10

"Andrew Gabriel" <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <i0lu8t$1up$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Spamlet" <spam.m...@invalid.invalid> writes:
<snip>

> 3) Seeing how they won't remove switches and sockets, how is it that
> they manage to carefully paint the screw threads of every ceiling rose
> so you can only ever open it again with a hammer?
>
> "The Gasman Cometh" is now playing in my head...

Be thankful you didn't move into a house where the ceilings had been Artexed
without taking the trouble to remove and refit the ceiling roses.
We can't even see the join between the base and the cover.

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder