Hanging radiators on plasterboard

k.du...@virgin.net

Jun 22, 2008, 10:34:22 AM6/22/08
When my 17th cent. timberframed house was renovated 40 years ago a lot
of walls were smoothed up using plasterboard.

I have just discovered that in the area below a window where I planned
to replace the 40 year old radiator with a new one there seems to be
only one leaf of blockwork, and a 5 inch gap and then plasterboard. I
cannot find any studs supporting the plasterboard except at its edges
- the distance from floor to window cill is only 2 feet anyway.

Now obviously a previous, slightly smaller radiator has been hanging
from this plasterboard quite happily for 40 years without falling off,
and the radiator I plan to fit is only a fairly light 400 x 1200
single, nevertheless, I would feel happier with some advise about what
sort of fixing to use.

If I hang it directly from the plasterboard again, what sort of
fixings should I use? Or would it be possible/practical to get a 7 or
8 inch masonry fitting, drill right through into the blockwork, insert
some sort of mega Rawlplug type fitting and screw it all together.

Thoughts please. TIA

Keith

EricP

Jun 22, 2008, 10:49:01 AM6/22/08

If it was mine, I would remove the plasterboard between the existing
supports. Then put new supports in including ones for the radiator and
put a new sheet of plasterboard over it.

The material cost is so small and you will know it will do the job.

The Natural Philosopher

Jun 22, 2008, 10:51:27 AM6/22/08

The problem with fixing to plasterboard is to spread the load over it
enough to avoid it crumbling where the fixings go.

e.g. a mirror glue to palsterboad is a lot safer than one screwed to it.

In this case, my definite recommendation would be to remove the
plasterboard from behind teh radiator COMPLETLEY and either put in
lateral bits of wood between the studs to take the screws, re-board and
skim, or possibly replace the whole section with a bit of ply or MDF,
and then use scrim tape top stop the joint cracking and reskim the
bloody lot.

Or possibly use 'no more nails' to glue up ply disks behind where the
mounting points go (temporary screws will hold that in place while the
glue sets).

Plasterboard is cheap and quick, but by the time you have faffed around
with making places to mount things, and skimmed it, any wall that needs
anything mounted off it like kitchen cupboards and the like, is often
better made from 15mm MDF, especially if you can get away without butt
joining panels.

When painted with emulsion it looks exactly like a very well plastered wall.

It also tiles well.

And it holds up slightly longer than plasterboard when it gets soaked.

Bruce

Jun 22, 2008, 12:47:43 PM6/22/08
k.du...@virgin.net wrote:

>If I hang it directly from the plasterboard again, what sort of
>fixings should I use?

Try something like these:
http://tinyurl.com/5s64u3

>Or would it be possible/practical to get a 7 or
>8 inch masonry fitting, drill right through into the blockwork, insert
>some sort of mega Rawlplug type fitting and screw it all together.

Possible, but if the situation is as you described, you are more
likely to bend/break the plasterboard without doing anything much to
help support the radiator.

John Stumbles

Jun 22, 2008, 6:12:15 PM6/22/08
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 07:34:22 -0700, k.dunbar wrote:

> Now obviously a previous, slightly smaller radiator has been hanging
> from this plasterboard quite happily for 40 years without falling off,
> and the radiator I plan to fit is only a fairly light 400 x 1200
> single, nevertheless, I would feel happier with some advise about what
> sort of fixing to use.
>
> If I hang it directly from the plasterboard again, what sort of
> fixings should I use? Or would it be possible/practical to get a 7 or
> 8 inch masonry fitting, drill right through into the blockwork, insert
> some sort of mega Rawlplug type fitting and screw it all together.

I doubt you could find the hole in the masonry to get the plug into. If
you're going to support the rad on the pb I'd cut out holes (a very large
holsaw is good for this) in the middle of where the rad brackets will go,
slip some batten through behind the pb and screw and solvent-free glue it
in place, refit the disc of pb from the holesaw with solvent-free or caulk
or whatever to glue & make good, then fit the rad brackets into your nice
load-spreading supports.

--
John Stumbles

I'm more non-competitive than you

k.du...@virgin.net

Jun 23, 2008, 2:22:44 AM6/23/08
On Jun 22, 11:12 pm, John Stumbles <john.stumb...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I doubt you could find the hole in the masonry to get the plug into. If
> you're going to support the rad on the pb I'd cut out holes (a very large
> holsaw is good for this) in the middle of where the rad brackets will go,
> slip some batten through behind the pb and screw and solvent-free glue it
> in place, refit the disc of pb from the holesaw with solvent-free or caulk
> or whatever to glue & make good, then fit the rad brackets into your nice
> load-spreading supports.
>
> --
> John Stumbles
>
> I'm more non-competitive than you

Now that sounds a brilliant idea. A good compromise - especially as I
am not expereienced at removing and replacing plasterboard etc. as
suggested earlier. Many thanks.

Keith

Thomas Prufer

Jun 23, 2008, 2:33:16 AM6/23/08
On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 15:49:01 +0100, EricP <er...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>If it was mine, I would remove the plasterboard between the existing
>supports. Then put new supports in including ones for the radiator and
>put a new sheet of plasterboard over it.
>
>The material cost is so small and you will know it will do the job.

I'd add 5" worth of insulation, too, while it's open and it being right behind
the radiator and all.

Thomas Prufer