Changing speakers

1 view

Peter Twydell

May 23, 2009, 6:51:08 AM5/23/09
My Panasonic Home Cinema system has 7 ohm speakers, a front pair and a
rear pair.. Can I safely replace the front pair only with 8 ohm
speakers, i.e. without damaging the speakers or the amp?
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

meow...@care2.com

May 23, 2009, 7:03:25 AM5/23/09
Peter Twydell wrote:
> My Panasonic Home Cinema system has 7 ohm speakers, a front pair and a
> rear pair.. Can I safely replace the front pair only with 8 ohm
> speakers, i.e. without damaging the speakers or the amp?

yes

NT

The Natural Philosopher

May 23, 2009, 7:04:11 AM5/23/09
Peter Twydell wrote:
> My Panasonic Home Cinema system has 7 ohm speakers, a front pair and a
> rear pair.. Can I safely replace the front pair only with 8 ohm
> speakers, i.e. without damaging the speakers or the amp?
yes.

Dave Osborne

May 23, 2009, 7:13:56 AM5/23/09
Peter Twydell wrote:
> My Panasonic Home Cinema system has 7 ohm speakers, a front pair and a
> rear pair.. Can I safely replace the front pair only with 8 ohm
> speakers, i.e. without damaging the speakers or the amp?

In a word, yes. The dynamic impedance of a loudspeaker is all over the
place anyway (i.e. it varies with frequency and may drop as low as 2 Ohm
in places). Normally, speakers are a nominal 2, 4, 8 or 16 Ohm impedance
which relates to their average impedance. Calling a speaker 7 Ohm is a
bit of a nonsense. There's no reason why they couldn't have called it 8
Ohm and eliminated any confusion.

What may affect the end result is the sensitivity of your new speakers.
If they are more sensitive that the old speakers, then they will be
too loud compared with the other speakers in the setup. If they are less
sensitive then they will be too quiet compared with the other speakers.
Usually, on your cinema amp, you can adjust the relative volume of each
part of your setup.

Also, if you are replacing smaller speakers with larger speakers, you
may have a setting on your amp where you can tell your amp you've
connected full-size speakers. This will send more bass frequencies to
the new speakers.

HTH

Peter Twydell

May 23, 2009, 7:23:34 AM5/23/09
In message <77q43kF...@mid.individual.net>, Dave Osborne
<rum...@nospam.invalid> writes

Thanks everyone for the swift replies.

The system is indeed adjustable for front/rear bias, delay, etc., and
the bass is also adjustable. As is practically everything else

Dave Plowman (News)

May 23, 2009, 8:03:02 AM5/23/09
In article <P010llIc...@twydell.demon.co.uk>,

Peter Twydell <pe...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> My Panasonic Home Cinema system has 7 ohm speakers, a front pair and a
> rear pair.. Can I safely replace the front pair only with 8 ohm
> speakers, i.e. without damaging the speakers or the amp?

Yes - the figure is only a nominal one. And any amp will happily drive a
higher impedance speaker - just at reduced level. But not in this case.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

To e-mail, change noise into sound.