silver sand, plasterers' sand, children's sand, etc

Stephen

May 6, 2011, 4:27:41 PM5/6/11
Hello,

I had a look on google groups because I am sure this gets asked every
summer but I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
ways to buy it.

Builders' sand is soft but red, and I understand it would stain
children's clothes, so that rules that out.

Sharp sand is sandy in colour but would it be too sharp?!

Am I right to think plasterers' sand is just a finer version of sharp
sand? So it might be just what I need?

And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?

I have read old posts of people digging and lining holes to make a
sand pit but I was going to have something above ground. I thought
four sides of treated timber (gravel board?) to contain the sand and a
sloping plywood roof to keep the rain off and cats out. Any flaws with
that plan?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Tim W

May 6, 2011, 4:40:22 PM5/6/11

"Stephen" <ste...@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message

Crikey I am sure I used to know the answer to that when I was young and had
children but I have completely forgotten it now. What is happening to me?

Tim W

Tabby

May 6, 2011, 5:15:31 PM5/6/11

IIRC kids sand is free of clay and red sand, both of which stain

NT

John Stumbles

May 6, 2011, 5:36:10 PM5/6/11
On Fri, 06 May 2011 21:27:41 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> I had a look on google groups because I am sure this gets asked every
> summer but I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
> Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
> ways to buy it.
>
> Builders' sand is soft but red, and I understand it would stain
> children's clothes, so that rules that out.
>
> Sharp sand is sandy in colour but would it be too sharp?!
>
> Am I right to think plasterers' sand is just a finer version of sharp
> sand? So it might be just what I need?
>
> And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?

I think what you want is silver sand aka playpit sand. A few year ago I
got a 1 tonne bag delivered which was about 10 times more than I needed
but still worked out cheaper than buying it by the little retail bags
sold in B&Q or Homebase etc.

Builders'/soft sand definitely stains and claggs up with water - not what
you want. Sharp sand which I think is the same as plasterers' sand
(actually used for rendering not plaster plastering) may stain as well,
and is a bit gritty - not pleasant for play.

> I have read old posts of people digging and lining holes to make a sand
> pit but I was going to have something above ground. I thought four sides
> of treated timber (gravel board?) to contain the sand and a sloping
> plywood roof to keep the rain off and cats out. Any flaws with that
> plan?

Sounds good. You'll need something to separate sand from ground but let
water out. The non-woven ply-something textile stuff they use on
building sites etc for various purposes is good for this: tough as nails
but water runs through it.

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?

Gazz

May 6, 2011, 6:01:09 PM5/6/11

> I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
> Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
> ways to buy it.

Doesn't the proper sandpit sand come with cat turds already in it?

Dave Starling

May 6, 2011, 6:17:28 PM5/6/11
On May 6, 11:01 pm, "Gazz" <n...@spam.ta> wrote:>
> Doesn't the proper sandpit sand come with cat turds already in it?

If he accidentally leaves the lid off for just one night he will soon
get those added for free. Around here you just have to dig over a
small patch of soil and by morning you will see paw marks all over it.
Cats will go bonkers to christen a new sandpit.

Dave.

Dave Liquorice

May 6, 2011, 6:25:17 PM5/6/11
On 6 May 2011 21:36:10 GMT, John Stumbles wrote:

>> And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?
>

> I think what you want is silver sand ...

Silver sand is what I understand play pit sand to be. Go to a
builders merchant and if the is an option of washed go fo that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Frank Erskine

May 6, 2011, 7:45:35 PM5/6/11
On Fri, 6 May 2011 21:40:22 +0100, "Tim W" <tim....@mtavirgin.net>
wrote:

>Crikey I am sure I used to know the answer to that when I was young and had
>children but I have completely forgotten it now. What is happening to me?

You're starting to "get old". It's the better option of the two... ;-)

ISTR silver sand as the "posh" stuff used by gardeners in the 50s, but
I've never seen it advertised anywhere on the Interweb..

--
Frank Erskine

John Rumm

May 6, 2011, 7:59:28 PM5/6/11
On 06/05/2011 21:27, Stephen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a look on google groups because I am sure this gets asked every
> summer but I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
> Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
> ways to buy it.
>
> Builders' sand is soft but red, and I understand it would stain
> children's clothes, so that rules that out.

Some places its yellow - but either way it stains.

> Sharp sand is sandy in colour but would it be too sharp?!

Sharp can be ok depending on what you local stuff is like. Often not
unlike beach sand - a mixtures of granule sizes with larger fragments of
stone in it. (aka grit sand)

> Am I right to think plasterers' sand is just a finer version of sharp
> sand? So it might be just what I need?

Plasters is usually fine and washed.

> And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?

Can be too fine for doing anything satisfying with... same goes for
paving sand.

Kiln dried is often not too bad.

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher

May 7, 2011, 5:04:47 AM5/7/11
I think its sold as 'playpit' sand.

The Natural Philosopher

May 7, 2011, 5:05:46 AM5/7/11

Only coprolites..

Rick Hughes

May 7, 2011, 6:17:24 AM5/7/11

"Stephen" <ste...@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message

Builders sand in my part of the world is sand dredged at sea ... it is
golden yellow ..... your red sand is probably pit sand.
Sharp sand is the same but too rough for a play area.

Extra fine jointing sand & silver sand I would avoid as they are too fine
... will get everywhere.
Try & get normal dredged builders sand ... B&Q might have it.

Treated wood above ground, lined with some PVC is better than dug in ...
there are loads of plans for these.
Whatever you have, cover the pit or it will very quickly have a unique aroma
... courtesy of local feline population.

Stephen

May 7, 2011, 6:34:52 AM5/7/11
On Sat, 07 May 2011 00:45:35 +0100, Frank Erskine
<frank....@btinternet.com> wrote:

>ISTR silver sand as the "posh" stuff used by gardeners in the 50s, but
>I've never seen it advertised anywhere on the Interweb..

It's in the Wickes catalogue, which is how I learnt that such a thing
exists, but I've never seen any on the shelf at my local store.

Stephen

May 7, 2011, 7:21:32 AM5/7/11
On Sat, 07 May 2011 00:59:28 +0100, John Rumm
<see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:

[about silver sand]

>Can be too fine for doing anything satisfying with... same goes for
>paving sand.

Is that too fine for children to do anything with, or too fine for DIY
uses?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Stephen

May 7, 2011, 7:24:15 AM5/7/11
On 6 May 2011 21:36:10 GMT, John Stumbles <john.s...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> You'll need something to separate sand from ground but let
>water out. The non-woven ply-something textile stuff they use on
>building sites etc for various purposes is good for this: tough as nails
>but water runs through it.

I was thinking of putting a base in to contain the sand but I had
thought of using 18mm ply or osb3, depending what I could find
cheaply. If it is covered when not in use, does it really need
drainage?

Thanks,
Stephen.

John Rumm

May 7, 2011, 12:53:40 PM5/7/11

It has its DIY uses, but is not very satisfying for kids - it so fine it
has little body and even when wet is not easy to make free standing
"things" out of. IME play sand works better with a bit more variation in
grit size so that it locks together better.

Stephen

May 8, 2011, 3:52:48 PM5/8/11
On Sat, 07 May 2011 17:53:40 +0100, John Rumm
<see.my.s...@nowhere.null> wrote:

>It has its DIY uses, but is not very satisfying for kids - it so fine it
>has little body and even when wet is not easy to make free standing
>"things" out of. IME play sand works better with a bit more variation in
>grit size so that it locks together better.

Now I'm not sure what to buy, the other replies seemed to recommend
it!

Dave Liquorice

May 8, 2011, 6:41:57 PM5/8/11
On Sun, 08 May 2011 20:52:48 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> It has its DIY uses, but is not very satisfying for kids - it so
fine
>> it has little body and even when wet is not easy to make free
standing
>> "things" out of. IME play sand works better with a bit more
variation
>> in grit size so that it locks together better.
>
> Now I'm not sure what to buy, the other replies seemed to recommend
> it!

Depends what the kids want to do with the sand.

Builders soft sand is more akin to what you'll find on a beach and
when damp will make sandcastles from packed and up turned buckets. It
does contain a lot of very fine mud and will stain clothing and
fingers. It'll mostly wash out though.

Silver sand won't have quite the same the damp constructional
properties but when dry will pour and flow nicely and you can push it
into heaps with toy diggers etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

John Rumm

May 8, 2011, 9:42:40 PM5/8/11

When filling ours, I used kiln dried, and chucked a bag of sharp sand in
there as well to add some body.

trkm...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2013, 12:11:37 AM10/15/13
I know this post is old however I wanted to get the correct answer. sand is usually silica with some kind of metal oxide if its red could be iron oxide and silica. silver sand is simply silica with very very very little metal oxide. it does not refer to its color nor does it refer to the grit. I do park with tree which involves burning wood and silver sand is used there. I hope that helps at least it's already answer thanks

Tim+

Oct 15, 2013, 2:57:21 AM10/15/13
I'm sorry but you've failed your assignment. You've failed to quote any of
the original message and new sentences should start with a capital letter.
As for "I do park with tree", what does this mean?

Please try harder.

Tim

Tim Watts

Oct 15, 2013, 5:44:50 AM10/15/13
On Tuesday 15 October 2013 05:11 trkm...@gmail.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

> I know this post is old however I wanted to get the correct answer. sand
> is usually silica with some kind of metal oxide#

and random amounts of clay...

> > if its red could be iron
> oxide and silica. silver sand is simply silica with very very very little
> metal oxide. it does not refer to its color nor does it refer to the grit.
> I do park with tree which involves burning wood and silver sand is used
> there. I hope that helps at least it's already answer thanks

Rick Hughes

Oct 15, 2013, 5:48:46 AM10/15/13
On 15/10/2013 05:11, trkm...@gmail.com wrote:
> I know this post is old however I wanted to get the correct answer. sand is usually silica with some kind of metal oxide if its red could be iron oxide and silica. silver sand is simply silica with very very very little metal oxide. it does not refer to its color nor does it refer to the grit. I do park with tree which involves burning wood and silver sand is used there. I hope that helps at least it's already answer thanks

Is this a quizz ? ............. no idea what this is about?
Also the "I do park with tree which involves burning wood" reads like
some dubious code in Personal section of newspaper.

Tim+

Oct 15, 2013, 6:54:01 AM10/15/13
It was a late reply to this thread back in June 2011.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/silver$20sand/uk.d-i-y/Y70Iyaf2Jnw/aAj7XehzYrkJ

I think this rash of super-late responses is down to some college setting
students an assignment.

Tim

F Murtz

Oct 15, 2013, 7:05:10 AM10/15/13
But whats with the trees bit?

Scott M

Oct 15, 2013, 7:08:39 AM10/15/13
Tim+ wrote:

> I think this rash of super-late responses is down to some college
> setting students an assignment.

Since all of the respondants seem to these use gmail/googlemail accounts
I'm of the opinion that Google has "revamped" GoogleGroups and people
are finding it easier to post but without realising what it is they're
posting to. Without being arsed to look, it's as if they've turned their
interface into something akin to YahooAnswers[1].

[1] A viler pit of mummery, uselessness and bizarre human nature I've
yet to find

--
Scott

Scott M

Oct 15, 2013, 7:24:10 AM10/15/13
F Murtz wrote:

> But whats with the trees bit?

Tablet auto-mangling. Could be almost anything.

Mentalguy2k8

Oct 15, 2013, 7:46:22 AM10/15/13

"F Murtz" <hag...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> I think this rash of super-late responses is down to some college
>> setting students an assignment.
>>
>> Tim
> But whats with the trees bit?

He goes to a park that has sand and trees in it, and makes a wood fire?

Tim+

Oct 15, 2013, 8:13:46 AM10/15/13
Scott M <no_one@no_where.net> wrote:
> Tim+ wrote:
>
>> I think this rash of super-late responses is down to some college >
>> setting students an assignment.
>
> Since all of the respondants seem to these use gmail/googlemail accounts
> I'm of the opinion that Google has "revamped" GoogleGroups and people are
> finding it easier to post but without realising what it is they're posting to.

I don't think so. Notice how NONE of these messages are ever responded to
by the OP? I thought it was spammers at first when they posted URLs but
many are coming without web links now.

I reckon it's a box ticking exercise for a college course.

Tim