Look what I found under the wallpaper

Donwill

Mar 15, 2011, 6:38:25 AM3/15/11
Taking old damaged wallpaper off a lounge wall I found this:-

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww239/llunbwcad/DIY/

And it's GLOSS paint. Who would have painted their lounge wall with
that??????????? :-(

Don

Jim K

Mar 15, 2011, 6:43:34 AM3/15/11

to seal plaster against wallpaper paste (and use up the glorious
orange leftovers ;>))

Jim K

Peter Scott

Mar 15, 2011, 6:57:32 AM3/15/11
Perhaps they had wild kids and got fed up with redecorating.

Andy Dingley

Mar 15, 2011, 7:11:38 AM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 10:38 am, Donwill <Donwill.see...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> And it's GLOSS paint. Who would have painted their lounge wall with
> that??????????? :-(

I have a stack of old Practical Householders as bog reading. The '70s
ones are hilarious. "Burnt orange" as a colour for lounge walls.

Donwill

Mar 15, 2011, 7:24:49 AM3/15/11
It looks like the first coat over plaster. Since the house was built in
the 60s I thought they may have been on the waccy baccy :-)
Don

Jim K

Mar 15, 2011, 7:27:12 AM3/15/11

....as applied in son #2's bedroom (on 2 walls)

Where ya bin daddio?! ;>P

Jim K

Skipweasel

Mar 15, 2011, 7:39:11 AM3/15/11
In article <ca1f85a5-f9a6-4e99-9930-096a07edb3a6
@k20g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>, jk98...@gmail.com says...

> ....as applied in son #2's bedroom (on 2 walls)

And one wall in our bedroom with a floor to ceiling medieval smiling sun
on it. Everyone has gout, as the French say.

Message has been deleted

Jim K

Mar 15, 2011, 7:50:06 AM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 11:39 am, Skipweasel <skipweaselnos...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> In article <ca1f85a5-f9a6-4e99-9930-096a07edb3a6
> @k20g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>, jk989...@gmail.com says...

> > ....as applied in son #2's bedroom (on 2 walls)
>
> And one wall in our bedroom with a floor to ceiling medieval smiling sun
> on it. Everyone has gout, as the French say.

no - I applied it ;>)))

Jim K

Nick Leverton

Mar 15, 2011, 8:50:24 AM3/15/11
In article <MPG.27e960398...@85.214.73.210>,

Skipweasel <skipweas...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>In article <ca1f85a5-f9a6-4e99-9930-096a07edb3a6
>@k20g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>, jk98...@gmail.com says...
>> ....as applied in son #2's bedroom (on 2 walls)
>>

>And one wall in our bedroom with a floor to ceiling medieval smiling sun
>on it.

That colour looks very like my bedroom did when a teenager in the early
70s :) And my parents couldn't believe I wanted it orange, either !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Bob Eager

Mar 15, 2011, 9:10:50 AM3/15/11

Son #2 here has a similar orange colour, flicked on over a purple base.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Owain

Mar 15, 2011, 9:10:59 AM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 11:11 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
> > And it's GLOSS paint. Who would have painted their lounge wall with
> > that??????????? :-(
> I have a stack of old Practical Householders as bog reading. The '70s
> ones are hilarious. "Burnt orange" as a colour for lounge walls.

I had orange bedroom walls in one house. Probably done in the 70s, and
probably still quite popular in some parts of west Scotland :-)

The ceiling in this house was gloss painted onto the plasterboard. It
peeled off in huge strips.

Owain

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 15, 2011, 11:00:47 AM3/15/11
drugs began to take hold. I remember Donwill
<Donwill...@invalid.invalid> saying something like:

Somebody with a hooky gallon of orange gloss in the 70s.

Gazz

Mar 15, 2011, 11:39:47 AM3/15/11

"Donwill" wrote

> And it's GLOSS paint. Who would have painted their lounge wall with
> that??????????? :-(

prolly the same twonks who has this house before me, tho i guess they just
let their kid do what it wanted in it's bedroom,
it was half covered in lovely woodchip paper, one wall was painted with
green gloss, half another wall was painted in purple gloss, the door was
painted in red matt emulsion, and under the woodchip was the kids 'art'
couple of 4 foot swastikas, one of those pentagram things, an upside down
jesus cross, and a couple of 'fuck you mum and dad's' dotted about.

the door frame has a window above it, handy to let light into the stairwell
from the room i guess, and that had glass paint on it, with some nice
phrases like 'piss off, i'm wanking' and 'keep out you bitch' on it.

The parents bedroom wasnt that much better... top half pink, bottom half
purple (emulsion thankfully) and a sickly pink and gold border with hearts
and kiss lips and the word 'love' all over it.
and a green carpet, dunno what the curtians were, as they'd been burnt in
the garden before we saw the place.

TMC

Mar 15, 2011, 11:52:39 AM3/15/11

"Donwill" <Donwill...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

That brings back memories

When we moved into this house some 35 years ago the hall and landing
ceilings were just that colour

Made you want to duck when coming through the front door

Ours was either emulsion or eggshell not gloss however

All of the upstairs doors were royal blue gloss

Tony

TMC

Mar 15, 2011, 12:00:11 PM3/15/11

"TMC" <an...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message

We also put the same pressed hardboard 6 panel doors with the brass handles
in around 1980 but they have long since gone

Still have the brass handles on the upstairs doors though

Regards

Chris J Dixon

Mar 15, 2011, 12:12:52 PM3/15/11
Gazz wrote:

>prolly the same twonks who has this house before me, tho i guess they just
>let their kid do what it wanted in it's bedroom,
>it was half covered in lovely woodchip paper, one wall was painted with
>green gloss, half another wall was painted in purple gloss, the door was
>painted in red matt emulsion, and under the woodchip was the kids 'art'

A house I owned briefly had the smallest bedroom fully Artexed
and painted a bold shade of purple throughout. I guess it must
have been a teenager's choice. It was bad enough simply getting
into the room without leaving the skin of your knuckles on the
wall.

The upside of moving out was that this was one room that I
escaped having to redecorate.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
ch...@cdixon.me.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Skipweasel

Mar 15, 2011, 12:22:48 PM3/15/11
In article <8u91te...@mid.individual.net>, Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid
says...
> When we redecorated a rented flat I lived in once, under the wallpaper
> in one room was written, in red gloss; "Celeste" hates this bloody
> prison".

I found a cartoon of a woman with "Auntie Marg" daubed under it on our
kitchen wall. It was in white gloss on duck-egg satin hiding under
wallpaper with peppermills and olive-oil bottles on it.

Skipweasel

Mar 15, 2011, 12:27:21 PM3/15/11
In article <Z4KdnThcAfOgFuLQ...@bt.com>, an...@nowhere.co.uk
says...

> All of the upstairs doors were royal blue gloss

House I worked on recently had all the woodwork painted gloss black.

Luckily it'd been put on so badly most of it just came off with a
scraper in long sheets.

Message has been deleted

Skipweasel

Mar 15, 2011, 1:14:00 PM3/15/11
In article <8u9iha...@mid.individual.net>, Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid
says...

> > I found a cartoon of a woman with "Auntie Marg" daubed under it on our
> > kitchen wall. It was in white gloss on duck-egg satin hiding under
> > wallpaper with peppermills and olive-oil bottles on it.
>
> My eyes! My eyes!
>
> (And I haven't even seen it.)

Fortunately it was hidden under several other layers, too. Including one
with images of china plates all over it.

Owain

Mar 15, 2011, 4:01:04 PM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 4:22 pm, Skipweasel wrote:
> I found a cartoon of a woman with "Auntie Marg" daubed under it on our
> kitchen wall.

Sexually explicit?

> It was in white gloss on duck-egg satin hiding under
> wallpaper with peppermills and olive-oil bottles on it.

It sounds like the sort of design popular in the 70s when coordinating
kettles, toasters, slow-cookers, tea-towels, roller blinds, wallpaper
and crockery were fashionable.

Owain

Skipweasel

Mar 15, 2011, 4:14:50 PM3/15/11
In article <44ad85fd-4228-4518-87c8-d42808233542
@r6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, spuorg...@gowanhill.com says...

> > I found a cartoon of a woman with "Auntie Marg" daubed under it on our
> > kitchen wall.
>
> Sexually explicit?

No - caricature.

> > It was in white gloss on duck-egg satin hiding under
> > wallpaper with peppermills and olive-oil bottles on it.
>
> It sounds like the sort of design popular in the 70s when coordinating
> kettles, toasters, slow-cookers, tea-towels, roller blinds, wallpaper
> and crockery were fashionable.

That's about right for the age of the house. Very much the "We've been
to Torremolinos on a package holiday and we've eaten garlic and had
coffee in a glass" sort of thing.

JohnW

Mar 15, 2011, 5:05:46 PM3/15/11
On 15 Mar, 15:52, "TMC" <a...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> "Donwill" <Donwill.see...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Yep, I painted my bedroom in burnt orange and midnight blue in the
early 70s. I am not sure my mum was impressed at the time.

John

The Natural Philosopher

Mar 15, 2011, 5:35:02 PM3/15/11
> ##

Ah, but did you also have a crescent moon and silver starts on the
ceiling..?

> John

Lobster

Mar 16, 2011, 4:17:06 AM3/16/11

Same era; I did my ceiling in very dark khaki. Seemed like a good idea
at the time, as I recall. My Mum still lives in the house; she still
whinges about the number of coats of paint it took to get it back to its
current whiter shade of pale.

Meant I was in a poor position to resist my own offspring's urges last
year, though. However, when he announced he was going to use red gloss,
I at least managed to persuade him to restrict it to the skirting boards :(

David

Message has been deleted

Donwill

Mar 16, 2011, 5:07:03 AM3/16/11

Tim Watts

Mar 16, 2011, 6:14:57 AM3/16/11
Lobster (davidlobs...@hotmail.com) wibbled on Wednesday 16 March 2011
08:17:

> Meant I was in a poor position to resist my own offspring's urges last
> year, though. However, when he announced he was going to use red gloss,
> I at least managed to persuade him to restrict it to the skirting boards
> :(

If my daughter turns goth and paints the room black, and if that's all she
does, I will consider myself very fortunate!

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Mar 16, 2011, 6:17:19 AM3/16/11
Donwill (Donwill...@invalid.invalid) wibbled on Wednesday 16 March 2011
09:07:

I dunno. You'll probably find houses in Spain that look like that.

Works best with sunlight though...

Here's a restaurant in London:

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/dynamic/00473/5048869_473841t.jpg

--
Tim Watts

Donwill

Mar 16, 2011, 8:04:21 AM3/16/11
God!!!! that would put me off my food :-)
Don

Chris J Dixon

Mar 16, 2011, 8:12:49 AM3/16/11
Lobster wrote:

>Meant I was in a poor position to resist my own offspring's urges last
>year, though. However, when he announced he was going to use red gloss,
>I at least managed to persuade him to restrict it to the skirting boards :(

Reminds me of my first house. The bedroom was quite long, and the
previous owner had picked up a piece of red carpet which turned
out to be far too small. No problem, he just painted the rest of
the floor to (almost) match. He was clearly in a hurry - when I
came to get rid, the foam back was well stuck to the paint.

Skipweasel

Mar 16, 2011, 8:48:15 AM3/16/11
In article <16f658-...@squidward.dionic.net>, t...@dionic.net says...

> If my daughter turns goth and paints the room black, and if that's all she
> does, I will consider myself very fortunate!

Lesser of two weevils, innit.

Donwill

Mar 16, 2011, 10:18:18 AM3/16/11
On 16/03/2011 12:48, Skipweasel wrote:
> In article<16f658-...@squidward.dionic.net>, t...@dionic.net says...
>
>> If my daughter turns goth and paints the room black, and if that's all she
>> does, I will consider myself very fortunate!
>>

> Lesser of two weevils, innit.

Hornblower or Jack Aubrey ?
Don

Skipweasel

Mar 16, 2011, 10:26:21 AM3/16/11
In article <8ubv5...@mid.individual.net>,
Donwill...@invalid.invalid says...

> > Lesser of two weevils, innit.
> >

> Hornblower or Jack Aubrey ?

Oh, Aubrey without a doubt.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 16, 2011, 10:58:26 AM3/16/11
drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel
<skipweas...@googlemail.com> saying something like:

>In article <16f658-...@squidward.dionic.net>, t...@dionic.net says...
>> If my daughter turns goth and paints the room black, and if that's all she
>> does, I will consider myself very fortunate!
>>

>Lesser of two weevils, innit.

'Lessor', if you're hiring them out.

Jules Richardson

Mar 16, 2011, 4:33:10 PM3/16/11
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:17:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:
> I dunno. You'll probably find houses in Spain that look like that.
>
> Works best with sunlight though...

Our dining room's reasonably orangey, with lots of dark wood and sunlight
(big patio door type thing* on one wall, big picture window on another).
Definite Spanish / Mexican feel to it (and the kitchen, which is kind of
a sandy red).

* it opens out onto a flower bed. The woman who built the place in the
'40s was a bit bonkers. I'll get round to adding the patio bit at some
point. :-)

cheers

Jules