Laying vinyl flooring

someone

Jul 13, 2008, 5:02:41 PM7/13/08
I have a (slightly under) 2 metre x 2 metre bathroom which is L-shaped
owing to a shower enclosure. There is also a toilet pan oval, and two
radiator pipes going into the floor off the side of one of the walls. I plan
to try and make a template out of old computer paper stuck together, and
then transfer this to my piece of vinyl flooring, which is exactly 2 metres
x 2 metres.

Has anyone else here laid vinyl flooring, and do they have any hints or
websites they can recommend? I haven't been able to get much info about how
to go about this. I have the Stanley knife at the ready, though.

someone

George (dicegeorge)

Jul 13, 2008, 5:27:36 PM7/13/08
i'd use cardboard from cardboard boxes not paper
to make a template out of

--

[george]

Andy Hall

Jul 13, 2008, 6:05:56 PM7/13/08

Taking out the toilet pan and putting it back on top of the vinyl will
be much better than cutting around it and should make templating much
easier.

The Medway Handyman

Jul 13, 2008, 6:17:46 PM7/13/08
someone wrote:
> I have a (slightly under) 2 metre x 2 metre bathroom which is
> L-shaped owing to a shower enclosure. There is also a toilet pan
> oval, and two radiator pipes going into the floor off the side of one
> of the walls. I plan to try and make a template out of old computer
> paper stuck together, and then transfer this to my piece of vinyl
> flooring, which is exactly 2 metres x 2 metres.

Do you have the old floor covering to use as a template?

> Has anyone else here laid vinyl flooring, and do they have any hints
> or websites they can recommend? I haven't been able to get much info
> about how to go about this. I have the Stanley knife at the ready,
> though.

I have laid vinyl before, in my own homes with reasonable results. Its not
as easy as you might think. I wouldn't do it for a paying customer.

Cut the vinyl 1/2" oversize to your template & adjust it once down. Buy a
new pack of blades for the Stanley knife. In a bathroom, silicone will
cover any slight errors at the edges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Anna Kettle

Jul 14, 2008, 1:34:38 AM7/14/08

And it will stretch / settle, so cut oversize and dont try for a
perfect fit until it has been in place for a week

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation

Bob Mannix

Jul 14, 2008, 2:59:23 AM7/14/08

"someone" <som...@flibbernet.com> wrote in message
Vinyl is particularly unforgiving when cut at the edges. As another said,
remove the toilet. I would remove skirting boards, lay and refit over the
top. I have just dome mine (similar size). Removed basin pedestal, toilet,
bath panel and skirting. Laid hardboard sheets first on top of floorboards
(after leaving to acclimatise on landing) then vinyl. Still buggered it up
around door. Not like carpet, one mis-cut and you've had it :o( . Many
fitters (like another poster) refuse to lay vinyl as one miscut and they
have to bear the cost of replacement. Good luck!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)>

someone

Jul 14, 2008, 7:45:04 AM7/14/08
I appreciate all your comments which gave me some pause for thought.

The person in the shop that sold me the vinyl also said to remove the toilet
pan, but really that would not be possible for someone with my limited tools
and plumbing skills. However I'll investigate the possibility of using
cardboard instead of paper for the template as well as letting it settle for
a week. I can't use the old covering as these are rubber tiles glued to the
floor. Sounds like silicon mastic will be my friend.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm very grateful.

someone

Rod

Jul 14, 2008, 7:53:12 AM7/14/08

If your WC pan is screwed to the floor and there is any flexibility in
the waste connection, there is a chance that you just need to undo two
(or four) screws, slide the vinyl underneath, rescrew. I promise you
that would be easier than getting the 'oval' cut exactly right.

Of course if the pan is stuck down and/or there is no flexibility, you
might be right. :-(

--
Rod

onset.