Wiki: Oil

meow...@care2.com

Dec 29, 2008, 1:37:26 PM12/29/08
Another one for your additional input...

NT

==Lubricating oils==
Oils whose primary use is for lubrication.

===Machine oil===
Machine oil is a thin light petrolum oil used for undemanding
lubrication, such as small machinery, hand tools etc. It is also
widely used to thinly coat steel tools before export, preventing rust.

Sewing machines and many other appliances use machine oil.

Baby oil is machine oil with a little mild perfume added, and this is
a very convenient way to buy machine oil for many DIYers. (The method
of its extraction from babies remains a closely guarded secret.)

===Engine oil===
Engine oils are excellent lubricants. They are highly stable petroleum
derived oils, with additives to enhance their stability even further.

20/50 was once the most common engine oil grade, but 10/30 took over
as the dominant grade a couple of decades ago. 10/30 is less viscous,
and pumping it uses less energy.

===Used engine oil===
Used engine oil is blackened by engine deposits and assorted burnt
matter. It still lubricates, but the potential for toxicity of a
contaminant and its dirtiness make it unpopular for DIY use.

50/50 engine oil and paraffin or diesel has long been used to preserve
woodwork. Its effective and cheap, but dark in colour and contains
unspecified engine contaminants. New oil and paraffin is a better
alternative, with neither of these issues.

===Castor oil===
Castor oil was the original engine oil, and the source of the name
Castrol. Its still available for historic vehicles designed to use it.
It is a fixed grade of oil, unlike today's multigrades, hence its
viscosity varies considerably with temperature. It is much more prone
to gumming than modern engine oils, and is not suitable for today's
engines.

===Gear oil===
Related to engine oil, gear oils are designed to survive higher shear
forces than engine oils. Engine oil is not recommended for gearboxes
(with the exception of the original Mini)

===2 stroke oil===
Another petroleum lubricating oil.

===Silicone oil===
A high price oil occasionally used as a DIY lubricant.

==Fuel oils==
Oils primarily used as fuels

===Diesel, 35 second oil===
Red diesel and 35 second oil are the same product. Also known as gas
oil.

Red diesel is only legal for non-road uses.

Its occasionally used as heating oil for old installations. 35 and 28
second oils aren't interchangeable, 35 second requires a larger burner
jet and causes more heat exchanger fouling.

Red diesel has 2 markers, one visible (red), one not. These stain
filters.

Tankers are labelled UN1202.

Despite being a petroleum product, diesel is not easy to ignite.
Applying a naked flame to a pool of diesel isn't likely to light it.

===Paraffin===
Best known as a fuel for heating & blowlamps, paraffin has several
other uses too
* insect repellant
* mix with oil to make a penetrating oil
* engine oil flushing additive
* cleaner especially effective for all types of vehicle & road dirts,
oils, tars, bitumen, etc

Paraffin can be used neat for cleaning car parts, or it can be mixed
with water & a detergent.

Paraffin is now also known as:
* premium kerosene
* kerosene C1
* premium burning oil (PBO)

Paraffin has been dyed with several different colours over time,
including blue, pink, yellow, green.

===Heating oil, 28 second oil===
aka
* 28 second heating oil,
* kerosene
* kerosene C2
* Tankers are labelled UN1223

Widely used for central heating. Its a less refined grade of
paraffin.

Since it can run an engine it contains an invisible marker to detect
illegal on-road use. Its not the same grade as road diesel, its
thinner, but it works.

Supply of 28 second oil is a competitive market, and worth phoning
around.

===Lamp oil===
Deodorised dyed paraffin, avoids creating the famous oil heater whiff.

==Other oils==
===Oil thickener===
Very thick oils are used on their own in speed reducing devices, eg in
devices to slow the opening of cassette deck doors.

They are also added to car engines to thicken the engine oil, reducing
the blue smoke output of worn engines.

Oil thickeners are available from car accessory shops.

===Penetrating oil===
Penetrating oil is a mix of thin oil and an agent such as paraffin
which cuts the oil's viscosity.

Penetrating oils are able to penetrate tiny gaps and help unseize
corroded fixings. These are much used in car repair.

If no penetrating oil is to hand, a mix of thin oil and a viscosity
cutter (eg paraffin) works.

===hydraulic oil===
As used in hydraulic jacks. what type is this?
(Brake fluid is not oil)

==Decorator's oils==
Mostly used in finishing

===Linseed oil===
* Thins oil based paints, but greatly extends drying time.
* Enables water based paints to adhere to a greater range of surfaces
(mix in 1-2% linseed oil)
* Makes a range of putties & mastics
* Thins linseed putty
* Makes tack rags
* Used in some finishing oil mixtures for wood

Raw linseed oil is just linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil is today
linseed oil plus chemical dryers. Boiled oil sets to a gum in time,
raw either doesn't or takes an extremely long time. Boiled should be
used in all the above applications, though raw is also fine for tack
rags.

===Tung oil===

===Danish oil===

==Additives & alternatives==
===Engine oil & paraffin===
A 50/50 mix has several uses.
* wood preservative
* penetrating oil
* corrosion inhibitor - but it becomes slightly sticky

===Graphite===
Graphite is a solid lubricant. Graphite powder is sometimes added to
oils to improve lubrication, and in some cases can even be used
instead of oil. Its electrically conductive.

===Teflon===
Teflon is another solid lubricant, and much the same can be said for
it as graphite.

===Paraffin===
Can be added to oil to cut its viscosity temporarily. However it
eventually evporates.

===Vegetable oil===
Several plant derived oils are used for cooking. These lubricate, but
over time they gum up badly. This greatly limits their use, but
they're fine for jobs such as lubricating [[screws]]. Feeding the
DIYer is the main use.

===Margerine===
Most margerines are plant oil (sometimes fish oil) based, with a large
percentage of added water. These can sometimes be used as a last ditch
lubricant, but they gum up eventually. The water content dries out,
but can cause corrosion.

==Hair oils==
A spoonful of oil added to a litre of shampoo acts as a hair
conditioner. Commercial conditioners tend to use thick oils such as
palm oil, castor oil, jojoba oil etc.

===Palm oil===
Palm oil is thick semi-solid natural oil, and a traditional hair
conditioner in some countries. Its available from asian grocery
stores, and can be added to shampoo to give conditioning properties.

===Castor oil===
Castor oil is another effective conditioning additive, but
availability is poor, and allergic reaction to the castor bean is a
known, albeit rare, phenomenon.

===Engine oil===
Engine oil is very effective as a hair conditioner (added to shampoo),
but it should not be used due to its entirely unsuitable additives.

===Vegetable oil===
Its not as effective as engine oil, but is safe to use. Vegetable
cooking oils are thinnner than the more usual conditioning oils, and
this works better for some hair types, and less well for some.

==Branded products==
A few branded products are well known in DIY and deserve their own
mention. The well known brands can all be replaced with other good
products at a fraction of the cost.

===3 in 1===
3 in 1 is a brand of oil that attempts to be 3 things in one:
lubricating oil, penetrating oil and corrosion prevention. Since these
3 tasks have conflicting requirements its impossible to make a good
job of them with one product.

Since its prone to becoming gummy its not recommended as a lubricant.
The cans it comes in are handy.

===WD40===
WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of very limited
use in DIY today, primarily used to reduce rusting of tools in damp
storage. Machine oil is the product of choice for this.

WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.

WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.

The manufacturer claims [http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/images/LIST%20OF
%202,000%20USES11.pdf 2000 uses for WD40]. While many of these are not
uses we would rush to recommend, and many are simply duplication,
there are some practical ones too. [http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/
household/wd-40.asp More uses & information].

Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
WD40. It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials
to which it should not be applied.

===Swarfega===
Paraffin gel with additives. Paraffin alone makes quite a good
substitute.

==Oil kit==
Inevitably opinions vary on this, so this list is just intended as a
quick starting point guide.

A good kit of oils for DIY may contain:
* Machine oil (thin lubricant, rust prevention)
* Engine oil (thick lubricant, car)
* Paraffin (cleaning, insect repellant, additive)
* Penetrating oil (frees corroded fixings)
* Linseed oil (paints, putties, polishes etc)

==Not usable==
The following might tempt the ocasional DIYer, but are not usable for
DIY.

===Petrol===
Petrol deserves a brief mention simply because is is not usable for
any DIY use outside of running engines, but occasionally a DIYer
decides to try it as a substitute. Its highly volatile and creates an
explosive cloud of gas/air mixture. Inhaling the amount of fumes
caused by painting with it causes anything from migraine to death.

Petrol tankers are marked UN1203

==Smoky engines==
While there is more than one possible cause, vehicles with smoky
engines are usually suffering from wear, which allows tiny amounts of
engine oil into the cylinder, where it is burnt, producing smoke. This
gets past worn valve seals more often than piston rings.

Replacing 10/30 with 20/50 is often done to reduce smoking. Adding an
oil thickener can reduce smoke output further. These are of course not
proper cures and not manufacturer recommended, but have got a lot of
cars through MOTs.

==Plumbing==
Oil lines should use only compression fittings.

==Storage==
New oil tanks must now be bunded to prevent contamination in case of
leakage.

Storage of large amounts of highly flammable fuel oils is strictly
regulated by law.

==Spills==
Cleanup methods include:
* caustic soda
* paraffin
* hot pressure washing
* burning the contaminated materials

==Disposal==
Reusing the oil for something else is sometimes an option. Otherwise
oils should be disposed of at the local tip, where its recycled.

Heating boilers have occasionally been modified to burn used engine
oil. This is cheap to run, but there are concerns over contaminants,
and the relatively viscous oil must be preheated before the boiler can
fire.

==See Also==
* [[Grease]]
* [[Special:Allpages|Wiki Contents]]
* [[Special:Categories|Wiki Subject Categories]]

[[Category:Heating]]
[[Category:Fixings]]
[[Category:Cleaning]]
[[Category:Paint]]

Rod

Dec 29, 2008, 1:55:34 PM12/29/08
Nose oil - used when applying gold leaf.

And not a single mention of olive oil - extra virgin or otherwise!
That's chutzpah.

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

Pete Verdon

Dec 29, 2008, 3:49:08 PM12/29/08
meow...@care2.com wrote:

> ===Used engine oil===
> Used engine oil is blackened by engine deposits and assorted burnt
> matter. It still lubricates, but the potential for toxicity of a
> contaminant and its dirtiness make it unpopular for DIY use.

In metalwork[1] at school we used it to blue things made out of mild
steel. Is that a standard use?

[1] Formally entitled "Design and Technology: Resistant Materials
Technology". FFS.

> Several plant derived oils are used for cooking. These lubricate, but
> over time they gum up badly.

Yeah - when I was about ten I lubricated my Mammod steam engine with it
and seized it up solid.

> Engine oil is very effective as a hair conditioner (added to shampoo),

!!!

> Heating boilers have occasionally been modified to burn used engine
> oil. This is cheap to run, but there are concerns over contaminants,
> and the relatively viscous oil must be preheated before the boiler can
> fire.

Probably worth mentioning that there are heaters (for workshops etc)
that are purpose-built for burning old engine oil.

If you'd put it on the wiki I could have edited it directly :-)

Pete

Dave Liquorice

Dec 29, 2008, 3:19:22 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:37:26 -0800 (PST), meow...@care2.com wrote:

> Paraffin has been dyed with several different colours over time,
> including blue, pink, yellow, green.

As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose was
pink but I think there was a panther involved.

> Since it can run an engine it contains an invisible marker to detect
> illegal on-road use. Its not the same grade as road diesel, its
> thinner, but it works.

Heating oil now carries a visible yellow marker dye.

> Supply of 28 second oil is a competitive market, and worth phoning
> around.

It also tracks the price of crude with not much lag. So if crude prices
are trending down hold off buying, if trending up buy...

> though raw is also fine for tack rags.

Is it cotton and raw(?) linseed oil that can spontaneously combust?

> Teflon is another solid lubricant, and much the same can be said for
> it as graphite.

Teflon is a trade name from DuPont(?) for polytetrafluoroethene PTFE.

> Storage of large amounts of highly flammable fuel oils is strictly
> regulated by law.

Delete "highly", to me that implies petrol or other light oils but not
kerosenes or diesel but the storage of all is regulated.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Medway Handyman

Dec 29, 2008, 4:17:39 PM12/29/08
meow...@care2.com wrote:
> Another one for your additional input...
<SNIP>

> ===WD40===
> WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of very limited
> use in DIY today, primarily used to reduce rusting of tools in damp
> storage. Machine oil is the product of choice for this.

Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO its
an excellent product.

Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
machine oil?

> WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
> some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.

Granted its not a specific penetrating oil, but as a 'one stop' multi
purpose product its pretty good at many things.

> WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.

Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges, locks,
fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.

<SNIP>

> Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
> WD40.

Like what? Do we have any evidence? Why would it harm anything? I've got
padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of WD40 annually and
none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work perfectly.

> It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials to which
> it should not be applied.

Again, what shouldn't it be applied to? I've never damaged anything with
it.

We certainly shouldn't be putting opinions like this on the Wiki unless they
have some scientific evidence.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Rod

Dec 29, 2008, 4:29:46 PM12/29/08
Dave Liquorice wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:37:26 -0800 (PST), meow...@care2.com wrote:
>
>> Paraffin has been dyed with several different colours over time,
>> including blue, pink, yellow, green.
>
> As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose was
> pink but I think there was a panther involved.

Aladdin pink.

And there was Fina Green Paraffin.

The. Wanderer

Dec 29, 2008, 4:54:31 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:17:39 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> meow...@care2.com wrote:

>> Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
>> WD40.
>
> Like what? Do we have any evidence? Why would it harm anything? I've got
> padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of WD40 annually and
> none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work perfectly.
>
>> It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials to which
>> it should not be applied.
>
> Again, what shouldn't it be applied to? I've never damaged anything with
> it.
>
> We certainly shouldn't be putting opinions like this on the Wiki unless they
> have some scientific evidence.

Hmm, for reasons I can't really quantify, I am rather predisposed against
placing too much reliance on WD40 or similar squirt-on products.

It *is* excellent at dispersing damp on ht leads, it helps with shifting
accumulations of crud when carrying out some half-hearted maintenance on
cheap power tools, and it can also help where, for want of a better
description, 'coarse' lubrication is needed, like on gate hinges, bolts,
etc.

I certainly wouldn't consider using it as lubrication where there's a
fairly heavy duty cycle. Somehow I couldn't see the valve gear on a steam
loco lasting too long with just a squirt of WD40.

Horses for courses an' all that! It's really down to common sense.....

--

The Wanderer

Statistics show that statistics can't be trusted.

Bob Eager

Dec 29, 2008, 5:20:00 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:19:22 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
<allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote:

> > Paraffin has been dyed with several different colours over time,
> > including blue, pink, yellow, green.
>
> As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose was
> pink but I think there was a panther involved.

Correction! :-)

It was "boom boom boom boom Esso Blue"!

http://www.diybanter.com

tin...@isbd.co.uk

Dec 29, 2008, 5:30:09 PM12/29/08
Bob Eager <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:19:22 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
> <allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote:
>
> > > Paraffin has been dyed with several different colours over time,
> > > including blue, pink, yellow, green.
> >
> > As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose was
> > pink but I think there was a panther involved.
>
> Correction! :-)
>
> It was "boom boom boom boom Esso Blue"!

It was Aladdin Pink (parafin), I think.

--
Chris Green

Rod

Dec 29, 2008, 5:33:34 PM12/29/08
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:19:22 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
> <allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote:
>
>>> Paraffin has been dyed with several different colours over time,
>>> including blue, pink, yellow, green.
>>
>> As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose was
>> pink but I think there was a panther involved.
>
> Correction! :-)
>
> It was "boom boom boom boom Esso Blue"!

... and "Esso Esso blue blue blue blue"

I don't remember this, but it's so good:

They asked me how I knew
It was Esso Blue,
I of course replied
With lower grades one buys
Smoke gets in your eyes.

And:

Man sits on floor confronting paraffin heater, and a voice answers his
questions to a jingling little tune

Man: I’ve got a cold house.
Voice: Why don’t you heat it?
Man: My heater’s empty, I think.
Voice: Why don’t you fill it?
Man: I’m out of paraffin.
Voice: Well now that’s easy, ring for Pink.
Man: Now can you tell me, what will it cost me?
Voice: Less than a penny an hour.
Man: That’s fine. (sung as one line) Now can you tell me, who will
deliver it?
Voice: the dealer where you see this sign, see this sign, (annoying
jingly sound) see this sign.

Apparently, 'they' also sold White May - same as Pink but uncoloured.
And it was cheaper.

Dave Liquorice

Dec 29, 2008, 5:52:37 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:17:39 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

>> WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.
>
> Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges, locks,
> fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.

In my experience a squeaky door "lubricated" with WD40 will become a
squeaky door again. One lubricated with a proper oil doesn't.

> I've got padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of WD40
> annually and none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work
> perfectly.

That's 'casue you keep adding back the volatiles that have evaporated. It
does leave a residue over time from a thick gum to a dry varnish like
layer depending on the enviroment. The "wetter gum" stages are sticky and
any muck floating about will get stuck. When the kit is operated/used this
muck then gets drawn into the mechanisium and increases the rate of wear.
This probably isn't an issue for a shed padlock but for something in
constant use...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Frank Erskine

Dec 29, 2008, 6:21:07 PM12/29/08
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO its
>an excellent product.
>
>Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
>machine oil?
>
>> WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
>> some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.
>
>Granted its not a specific penetrating oil, but as a 'one stop' multi
>purpose product its pretty good at many things.
>
>> WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.
>
>Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges, locks,
>fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.

I had a wander around B&Q today, and noticed that they now stock a
reasonable range of 3 in 1 "sprays".

><SNIP>
>
>> Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
>> WD40.
>
>Like what? Do we have any evidence? Why would it harm anything? I've got
>padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of WD40 annually and
>none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work perfectly.
>
>> It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials to which
>> it should not be applied.
>
>Again, what shouldn't it be applied to? I've never damaged anything with
>it.

I'm sure we've all had _some_ sort of "success" with the dreaded
WD-40, but there are much better products for every one of its claims.
It's a sort of "Jack of all trades and master of none".

>We certainly shouldn't be putting opinions like this on the Wiki unless they
>have some scientific evidence.

I don't think it's an awfully good idea to "advertise" particular
makes of product on Wiki...

--
Frank Erskine

Harry Bloomfield

Dec 29, 2008, 6:49:36 PM12/29/08
After serious thinking The Medway Handyman wrote :

> Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO its
> an excellent product.

I find it works as a quick, but temporary fix. It soon evaporates and
stops working, but leaving a sticky deposit behind. I have had cans
where there has been a slight leak. All that is left is a thick sticky
mess which attracts dirt with little in the way of lubrication
properties. I find it does excel at cleaning things such as dirty, oily
grubby rear wheels on motor bikes due to the chain lubrication - spray
on, wipe the dirt off.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Dave

Dec 29, 2008, 6:59:31 PM12/29/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> meow...@care2.com wrote:
>> Another one for your additional input...
> <SNIP>
>
>> ===WD40===
>> WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of very limited
>> use in DIY today, primarily used to reduce rusting of tools in damp
>> storage. Machine oil is the product of choice for this.
>
> Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO its
> an excellent product.
>
> Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
> machine oil?

I would assume that the Ministry of Defense did that many years ago.

If, as I have, you had worked on defense projects, it would have brought
you into contact with far superior oils and greases. Trust the wiki on
WD 40, it is a water dispersant. Most of the other stuff in it is quite
good though.

Dave

newshound

Dec 29, 2008, 7:08:37 PM12/29/08
> ===Machine oil===
> Machine oil is a thin light petrolum oil used for undemanding
> lubrication, such as small machinery, hand tools etc. It is also
> widely used to thinly coat steel tools before export, preventing rust.
>
> Sewing machines and many other appliances use machine oil.
>
> Baby oil is machine oil with a little mild perfume added, and this is
> a very convenient way to buy machine oil for many DIYers. (The method
> of its extraction from babies remains a closely guarded secret.)

Baby oil / liquid paraffin / white oil for medicinal use are very highly
refined.

Machine oil is a very loose term, it may refer to "edible oils" as use on
bacon
slicing machines, etc, but it may not. I would expect sewing machine oil to
contain various additives, some of which you might not want to put on
babies.

For "domestic" use I certainly wouldn't use medicinal oil for rust
prevention,
I'd use 3 in 1.

The Medway Handyman

Dec 29, 2008, 7:19:24 PM12/29/08

My garage padlock is used at least once a day, 7 days a week. Good as new.

I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
its hugely successful.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 29, 2008, 8:06:29 PM12/29/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember meow...@care2.com saying something
like:

>Baby oil is machine oil with a little mild perfume added,

Palm oil.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 29, 2008, 8:41:32 PM12/29/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember meow...@care2.com saying something
like:

>paraffin.

>Since it can run an engine it contains an invisible marker to detect
>illegal on-road use. Its not the same grade as road diesel, its
>thinner, but it works.

Only if you want to wreck your HP pump. It contain very little of the
lubricity required for diesel injection systems, especially the Common
Rail modern ones.
Caterpillar have a tech doc on their website relating to kero, JP, and
Biodiesel in their highway engines. Google for "caterpillar engine on
kerosene" and you'll find it.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 29, 2008, 8:42:58 PM12/29/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod <poly...@ntlworld.com> saying
something like:

>> As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose was
>> pink but I think there was a panther involved.
>>

>Aladdin pink.

David Bowie.

The. Wanderer

Dec 30, 2008, 2:41:47 AM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:19:24 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
> its hugely successful.

No, just accept that soome people have a different opinion of the stuff as
an all-purpose lubricant than do you

--

The Wanderer

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

meow...@care2.com

Dec 30, 2008, 4:37:57 AM12/30/08
meow2...@care2.com wrote:
> Another one for your additional input...

WD40

> Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
> machine oil?

Machine oil is the standard coating for imported steel tools. WD40 is
simply not used for this. I think the tool industry knows what its
doing - and its not hard to see why they dont pick WD40.

> sure we've all had _some_ sort of "success" with the dreaded
> WD-40, but there are much better products for every one of its claims.
> It's a sort of "Jack of all trades and master of none".

quite - with the one exception of water displacement, which is what it
was designed for, and its good at that. The other claimed uses seem to
be more about marketing, especially lubrication, which its truly bad
at.

> I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
> its hugely successful.

hardly. Its just a lousy performer and many times the price of decent
products.

Any junk grade lube works on locks, hinges etc, but when things get
more demanding, wd can really screw things up. I'd quote Arfa Daily's
piece on what and how it damages, but I cant find the address.

Linseed

> Is it cotton and raw(?) linseed oil that can spontaneously combust?

Yes, theres already a separate article on tack rags.

thanks everyone!

NT

meow...@care2.com

Dec 30, 2008, 4:42:58 AM12/30/08
OK... version 2:

==Lubricating oils==
Oils whose primary use is for lubrication.

===Machine oil===
Machine oils are a class of thin light petrolum oils used for
undemanding lubrication, such as small machinery, hand tools etc. They
are also widely used to thinly coat steel tools before export,
preventing rust.

Sewing machines and many other appliances use machine oil.

Some machine oils are edible, such as for use on food processing
equipment, some are not.

===Baby oil===
Baby oil is a higly refined petroleum oil, much like a food grade
machine oil, with a little mild perfume added, and this is a very
convenient way to buy a machine oil for many DIYers. (The method of

[...]

Used or new engine oil can be used for steel hardening.

Tankers are labelled UN1202.

Since it can run an engine it contains a yellow dye plus a 2nd

invisible marker to detect illegal on-road use. Its not the same grade

as road diesel, its thinner, but it does work. The long term effects
of this vary widely depending on the engine, some designs are tolerant
of it long term, some not.

Supply of 28 second oil is a competitive market that tracks crude oil
prices. Its worth phoning around and pitting the suppliers against
each other.

===Tung oil===

===Danish oil===

===PTFE===
PTFE aka Teflon is another solid lubricant, and much the same can be

===WD40===
WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of limited use

in DIY today, primarily used

* to reduce rusting of tools in damp storage
* to start wet power tools.

Machine oil is the temporary coating of choice for preventing rust,
and is widely used as a rust preventing coating on imported steel
tools.

WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.

WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant as it contains more solvent
than oil, and becomes gummy.

WD40 can be used as a cleaner in some situations since it contains
Stoddard's solvent. Paraffin is a much cheaper alternative that doesnt
leave the sticky residue.

The manufacturer claims [http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/images/LIST%20OF
%202,000%20USES11.pdf 2000 uses for WD40]. While many of these are not
uses we would rush to recommend, and many are simply duplication,
there are some practical ones too. [http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/
household/wd-40.asp More uses & information].

Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
WD40. It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials

to which it should not be applied. These include rubber products, some
plastics,

Storage of large amounts of flammable fuel oils is strictly regulated
by law.

==Spills==
Cleanup methods include:
* caustic soda
* paraffin
* hot pressure washing
* burning the contaminated materials

==Disposal==
Reusing the oil for something else is sometimes an option. Otherwise
oils should be disposed of at the local tip, where its recycled.

Heating boilers have occasionally been modified to burn used engine
oil. This is cheap to run, but there are concerns over contaminants,
and the relatively viscous oil must be preheated before the boiler can
fire.

Its now possible to buy commercial workshop heaters that run on used
engine oil.

==See Also==
* [[Grease]]
* [ original article discussion]

Rod

Dec 30, 2008, 4:53:29 AM12/30/08
3-in-1 should be written 3-IN-ONE (according to WD40, who now own it).

<http://wd40.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=16>

stuart noble

Dec 30, 2008, 6:52:09 AM12/30/08

It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.

Dave Liquorice

Dec 30, 2008, 7:41:09 AM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:42:58 -0800 (PST), meow...@care2.com wrote:

> ===Graphite===
> Graphite is a solid lubricant. Graphite powder is sometimes added to
> oils to improve lubrication, and in some cases can even be used
> instead of oil. Its electrically conductive.

Also used as a powder to lubricate locks, as it is "dry" and does not
attract dirt.

> ===PTFE===
> PTFE aka Teflon is another solid lubricant, and much the same can be
> said for it as graphite.

PTFE is an insulator and breaks down releaseing flourine based compounds
if it gets too hot. You don't want to be getting in contact with the break
down products. I forget the break down temperature but it's properties
degrade above 260C.

It is also a dry lubricant like graphite.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice

Dec 30, 2008, 7:43:18 AM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:37:57 -0800 (PST), meow...@care2.com wrote:

> Linseed
>
> > Is it cotton and raw(?) linseed oil that can spontaneously combust?
>
> Yes, theres already a separate article on tack rags.

Linked from this page?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Mark

Dec 30, 2008, 8:20:16 AM12/30/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> meow...@care2.com wrote:
>> Another one for your additional input...
> <SNIP>
>
>> ===WD40===
>> WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of very limited
>> use in DIY today, primarily used to reduce rusting of tools in damp
>> storage. Machine oil is the product of choice for this.
>
> Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO
> its an excellent product.

http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html

-

Bruce

Dec 30, 2008, 10:01:16 AM12/30/08
stuart noble <stuart...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
>into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
>evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.

The problem is that many people resent success. WD40 is a hugely
successful product, so it generates a lot of resentment.

Similar comments apply to 3 in 1 oil, McDonald's hamburgers, Kellogg's
Corn Flakes and basically anything, anyone or any organisation that
makes a profit.

This leads to a belief that, if you buy any one of these successful
products, you must have been short changed.

Dave Liquorice

Dec 30, 2008, 9:24:35 AM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:19:24 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American &
> (b) its hugely successful.

Since when have either of those been good endorsements of a product.

WD40 has had good marketing but when it comes down to it it is not even
approaching mediocre from many of the jobs it gets promoted or used used
for. It can be a quick fix but in my experience the same problem will
return, probably worse, within a year or two. Where as using a proper
lubricant would cure the problem full stop.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice

Dec 30, 2008, 9:19:18 AM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:42:58 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

>>> As a marketing tool, "boom boom boom Esso Blue", can't remember whose
>>> was pink but I think there was a panther involved.
>>

>> Aladdin pink.

Hum, maybe it was genie that was entwined around the pump up at the local
shops. But I can't see anything on the web other than the delivery vans,
the paraffin used for car part cleaning was definitely pink though and we
had to go and get it using our old metal 1 gallon oil can.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 30, 2008, 10:36:26 AM12/30/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> saying something like:

>I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
>its hugely successful.

I have no prejudice against it at all. It's just largely overpriced,
ineffective in the long term, is all. I've used it and still use it, but
I much prefer a lever squirty bottle with a 50/50 mix of engine oil and
diesel.

Bob Eager

Dec 30, 2008, 12:22:45 PM12/30/08
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:01:16 UTC, Bruce <n...@nospam.net> wrote:

> stuart noble <stuart...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
> >into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
> >evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.
>
> The problem is that many people resent success. WD40 is a hugely
> successful product, so it generates a lot of resentment.

Rubbish....it isn't a lubricant, it's a water displacer. And very good
at that job, too. I like it, for the proper applications.

> Similar comments apply to 3 in 1 oil, McDonald's hamburgers, Kellogg's
> Corn Flakes

I like all of those, anyway.

http://www.diybanter.com

Steve Firth

Dec 30, 2008, 12:48:49 PM12/30/08
The. Wanderer <the.wa...@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:19:24 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>

> > I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
> > its hugely successful.
>
> No, just accept that soome people have a different opinion of the stuff as
> an all-purpose lubricant than do you

It's not going to happen. Despite being told and given the evidence that
WD-40 was designed as a water dispersant to aid damp starting of CI
petrol engines, the Medway Prat insists on believing that it is a
lubricant.

The Medway Handyman

Dec 30, 2008, 1:24:29 PM12/30/08
meow...@care2.com wrote:
> OK... version 2:
>

> ===WD40===
> WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of limited use
> in DIY today, primarily used
> * to reduce rusting of tools in damp storage
> * to start wet power tools.

I'm not with the last bit? Start wet power tools?

> Machine oil is the temporary coating of choice for preventing rust,
> and is widely used as a rust preventing coating on imported steel
> tools.

But that doesn't mean WD40 won't do the job - and again where is the
evidence?

> WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
> some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.

Its not sold specifically as a penetrating oil, its a multi purpose product.

And thats the point you are missing. One can of WD40 can replace half a
dozen cans of specific products.

> WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant as it contains more solvent
> than oil, and becomes gummy.

Not reccommended by whom? There is an insignificant amount of anecdotal
evidence against, and an even smaller amount in favour. That doesn't prove
the case. Its advertised as a lubricant & made in the USA - I'm pretty sure
there would be law suits flying about if that claim wasn't (at least in
part) true.

> WD40 can be used as a cleaner in some situations since it contains
> Stoddard's solvent. Paraffin is a much cheaper alternative that doesnt
> leave the sticky residue.

Arrrggggh!!! What sticky residue? I've been using it for donkeys years &
never come across any shape or form of residue - sticky or otherwise.

<SNIP>

> Many appliances have been ruined by the indiscriminate application of
> WD40. It is not a cure-all and there are common products and materials
> to which it should not be applied. These include rubber products, some
> plastics,

You simply can't say that without some kind of evidence. I've just e-mailed
WD40 to ask if its safe on rubber & plastics - lets see what they have to
say.

The Medway Handyman

Dec 30, 2008, 1:29:36 PM12/30/08
meow...@care2.com wrote:
> meow2...@care2.com wrote:
>> Another one for your additional input...
>

> WD40
>

>> Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities
>> against machine oil?
>
> Machine oil is the standard coating for imported steel tools. WD40 is
> simply not used for this. I think the tool industry knows what its
> doing - and its not hard to see why they dont pick WD40.

No it isn't hard to see - its price. WD40 is more expensive. Which doesn't
mean it doesn't work.

>> sure we've all had _some_ sort of "success" with the dreaded
>> WD-40, but there are much better products for every one of its
>> claims. It's a sort of "Jack of all trades and master of none".

Thats exactly what it claims to be - a multi purpose product.

> quite - with the one exception of water displacement, which is what it
> was designed for, and its good at that. The other claimed uses seem to
> be more about marketing, especially lubrication, which its truly bad
> at.

Compared to what? Bisto? It lubricates.

>> I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American
>> & (b) its hugely successful.
>
> hardly. Its just a lousy performer and many times the price of decent
> products.

Makes you wonder why they sell millions of cans a day doesn't it?

meow...@care2.com

Dec 30, 2008, 1:44:34 PM12/30/08

I'll do the links once its live, makes it hard to read otherwise

NT

Bruce

Dec 30, 2008, 1:50:39 PM12/30/08
"Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:01:16 UTC, Bruce <n...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> stuart noble <stuart...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
>> >into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
>> >evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.
>>
>> The problem is that many people resent success. WD40 is a hugely
>> successful product, so it generates a lot of resentment.
>
>Rubbish....it isn't a lubricant, it's a water displacer.

Who cares? I didn't make any claims for what it did, merely stated
that it is a hugely successful product, which is undeniable.

I seriously doubt that WD40 would sell in anywhere near the quantities
it does if it was remotely as bad as its critics allege.

>> Similar comments apply to 3 in 1 oil, McDonald's hamburgers, Kellogg's
>> Corn Flakes
>
>I like all of those, anyway.

For every one of those products, there are people like you who carp
and criticise, claiming that they aren't any good or don't live up to
the hype. Yet despite you and your kind, all these products are
hugely successful.

You must find that extremely irritating.

Bruce

Dec 30, 2008, 1:51:56 PM12/30/08
"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Makes you wonder why they sell millions of cans a day doesn't it?

Exactly!

;-)

Dave Plowman (News)

Dec 30, 2008, 2:17:30 PM12/30/08
In article <hldkl41qu1c8359br...@4ax.com>,

Bruce <n...@nospam.net> wrote:
> stuart noble <stuart...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
> >into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
> >evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.

> The problem is that many people resent success. WD40 is a hugely
> successful product, so it generates a lot of resentment.

Just shows the power of advertising and the gullibility of those who
believe it.

> Similar comments apply to 3 in 1 oil, McDonald's hamburgers, Kellogg's
> Corn Flakes and basically anything, anyone or any organisation that
> makes a profit.

Ah. You do live on some sink estate. Kellogg's cornflakes have more
nutritional value in the cardboard packet than contents. MacDonalds are
basically rubbish. Plenty of fast food available in the UK which is better
for you and better value too.

> This leads to a belief that, if you buy any one of these successful
> products, you must have been short changed.

Anything which claims to do a multitude of tasks is always a compromise
compared to one optimised for a particular job.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Tim S

Dec 30, 2008, 3:02:58 PM12/30/08
The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

> Makes you wonder why they sell millions of cans a day doesn't it?

Fiat's single handed effort at installing crap ignition systems in the 70's,
probably accounted more most of the sales in the 70's - that and
EasyStart...

Bruce

Dec 30, 2008, 3:06:21 PM12/30/08
"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>Anything which claims to do a multitude of tasks is always a compromise
>compared to one optimised for a particular job.

So what?

If it sells in large quantities, and makes huge profits for its
manufacturers/distributors/retailers (and has done so consistently)
for over 40 years, that indicates a high degree of customer
satisfaction leading to very many repeat purchases.

I congratulate WD40 on its massive and enduring success. None of your
pedantic criticisms are in the least bit significant, except to you.

Bruce

Dec 30, 2008, 3:22:16 PM12/30/08

If that was remotely true, FIAT's adoption of reliable electrics would
have all but eliminated sales of WD40. It would appear that nothing
could be further from the truth.

And as for FIAT's crap ignition systems, nothing could be worse than a
Lucas system on a 1970s British car. They have also gone, but WD40
continues to sell strongly.

Tim S

Dec 30, 2008, 3:27:50 PM12/30/08
Bruce coughed up some electrons that declared:

> Tim S <t...@dionic.net> wrote:
>>The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:
>>
>>> Makes you wonder why they sell millions of cans a day doesn't it?
>>
>>Fiat's single handed effort at installing crap ignition systems in the
>>70's, probably accounted more most of the sales in the 70's - that and
>>EasyStart...
>

> If that was remotely true, FIAT's adoption of reliable electrics would
> have all but eliminated sales of WD40. It would appear that nothing
> could be further from the truth.

I didn't say the electrics weren't still crap

> And as for FIAT's crap ignition systems, nothing could be worse than a
> Lucas system on a 1970s British car.

True - "Lucas - Prince of Darkness" as they say...

> They have also gone, but WD40
> continues to sell strongly.

http://tinyurl.com/3wp5u

;->

Bob Eager

Dec 30, 2008, 3:59:02 PM12/30/08

How do you get that? I haven't criticised ANY of them! You're reading
what you want to read....

ARWadsworth

Dec 30, 2008, 5:13:19 PM12/30/08

"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> meow...@care2.com wrote:
> > Another one for your additional input...
> <SNIP>
>
> > ===WD40===

> > WD stands for 'water displacer.' Water displacers are of very limited
> > use in DIY today, primarily used to reduce rusting of tools in damp
> > storage. Machine oil is the product of choice for this.
>
> Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO
its
> an excellent product.
>
> Has anyone done a controlled test on its rust prevention qualities against
> machine oil?
>
> > WD40 also acts as a penetrating oil, though there are cheaper and in
> > some people's opinion better brands out there, such as plusgas.
>
> Granted its not a specific penetrating oil, but as a 'one stop' multi
> purpose product its pretty good at many things.

> > WD40 is not recommended as a lubricant.
>
> Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges, locks,
> fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.

Liquid graphite is better on many locks.
I have no idea where the stuff I used came from, probably some dead uncles
shed.

> Dave - The Medway Handyman

Adam

ARWadsworth

Dec 30, 2008, 5:27:11 PM12/30/08

> meow...@care2.com wrote:

> You simply can't say that without some kind of evidence. I've just
e-mailed
> WD40 to ask if its safe on rubber & plastics - lets see what they have to
> say.

uk.bondage is that way >>>>>>>>>

Adam

Jan Wysocki

Dec 30, 2008, 7:02:05 PM12/30/08
On 2008-12-30, The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]>

> I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
> its hugely successful.

I'm "anti-USA", but the origins of WD40 hadn't crossed my mind
The excellent LPS lubricants/anticorrosion sprays are streets ahead of
WD40 and are made in the USA as is the also excellent Lear ACF-50 .

WD40 is crap because it evaporates too quickly. I suspect that the
residues that others have refered to are down to its solvent properties.
(Check out it's ability to totally ruin older electrical insulation
materials:) It's a passable penetrating oil and cleans without the
fire risk of white spirit or petrol.

I imagine that the success of WD40 is down to marketing (c.f. the
success of Oracle over Ingres, or Shimano over Capagnolo.)

WD40 offers a short term fix like disposable planer blades
and hardpoint saws.

--
Jan

meow...@care2.com

Dec 30, 2008, 7:22:57 PM12/30/08

I've seen things ruined by it, someone else in this thread has, and
this chap has come across the problem as part of his living:
quote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

It's not so much that WD40 won't do the job in this case, Fred - it
probably
would. However, once people get the idea that WD40 works on one part
of some
electronic equipment, they will try to use it to cure everything from
blown fuse to a slipping belt, and trust me when I tell you that in
the 35
years that I've been mending electronic equipment every day for a
living, I
have seen many an otherwise servicable item, wrecked beyond
reasonable
recovery, by the use of WD40. The smell is so characteristic that as
soon as
an item thus treated arrives on your bench, the response is "Oh no,
it's
been WD40'd ...". Once in there, it has a tendency to 'creep' around
and
seek out and wreck anything that is vaguely related to rubber, and
the
'waxy' deposit that it leaves behind, is nigh-on impossible to
remove.

That's why I would recommend using the proper stuff. It's easily
obtained,
cheap, and won't do damage to other components if you get a bit
liberal with
it. Right stuff for the job. You wouldn't run your barbecue stove on
acetylene, would you ? :-)

Arfa

end quote
NT

Tim S

Dec 30, 2008, 7:29:52 PM12/30/08
Jan Wysocki coughed up some electrons that declared:

> I imagine that the success of WD40 is down to marketing (c.f. the
> success of Oracle over Ingres, or Shimano over Capagnolo.)

Perhaps they used this for their ads somewhere in the back woods?:

http://www.dionic.net/wd-40.jpg

WARNING Dr Smith!!! NOT worksafe/kidsafe. Not for prudes either. You have
been warned!

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 30, 2008, 7:57:54 PM12/30/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember meow...@care2.com saying something
like:

>===Swarfega===
>Paraffin gel with additives. Paraffin alone makes quite a good
>substitute.

Years ago (when I was young and stupid(er)) I discovered that cleaning
my mucky oily hands in clean engine oil or kerosene really worked.
Luckily I didn't do it for too long before a bod from the lab next door
spotted me doing it and informed me with some passion that I was
cruising for skin cancer.
I haven't done that since and have (nearly) always used barrier creams
too.

Rod

Dec 31, 2008, 3:42:37 AM12/31/08
The Medway Handyman wrote:
> Dave Liquorice wrote:

>>> Not by whom? It clearly is a lubricant. I've used it on hinges,
>>> locks, fans, tools, padlocks and all sorts of other things.
>> In my experience a squeaky door "lubricated" with WD40 will become a
>> squeaky door again. One lubricated with a proper oil doesn't.
>>
>>> I've got padlocks on sheds & gates 20+ years old, given a squirt of
>>> WD40 annually and none have gummed up or gone sticky - they all work
>>> perfectly.
>> That's 'casue you keep adding back the volatiles that have
>> evaporated. It does leave a residue over time from a thick gum to a
>> dry varnish like layer depending on the enviroment. The "wetter gum"
>> stages are sticky and any muck floating about will get stuck. When
>> the kit is operated/used this muck then gets drawn into the
>> mechanisium and increases the rate of wear. This probably isn't an
>> issue for a shed padlock but for something in constant use...
>
> My garage padlock is used at least once a day, 7 days a week. Good as new.

> I suspect the predudice surrounding WD40 is because (a) its American & (b)
> its hugely successful.

I used to use it quite a bit. Then I realised that if used on something
that already had some lubricant, that was washed out. In the example of
a padlock, it is not unknown for the body to have some sort of grease in
it. But maybe around the edges a touch of rust has started or it simply
needs a retouch of oil. Spray WD40 and it feels great. But within a
fairly short period (probably a few months), the whole thing is seizing
up because the original lubricant has been washed from where it was
doing some good - to elsewhere. So maybe spraying your padlock every
year works OK. But I used White Lithium spray grease - and that has been
fine for (IIRC) about three years so far. (It might be a *really* bad
idea to use that grease on a padlock - but seems to have worked for me.)

Now this gets on to where I really have a problems with WD40 - you very
often get a weep of dirty oily stuff wherever it is used. Sometimes this
occurs quite a while after application. Definitely bad onto a white
carpet under a hinge.

But it's funny the way people are (me included!). We spend ages talking
about using car body filler, Fein Multimasters and angle grinders for
everything under the sun - and then criticise WD40 for being so general
purpose/multifunctional!

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

meow...@care2.com

Dec 31, 2008, 4:46:23 AM12/31/08
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <hldkl41qu1c8359br...@4ax.com>,
> Bruce <n...@nospam.net> wrote:
> > stuart noble <stuart...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > >It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
> > >into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
> > >evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.
>

> > The problem is that many people resent success. WD40 is a hugely
> > successful product, so it generates a lot of resentment.
>
> Just shows the power of advertising and the gullibility of those who
> believe it.

Or just lack of knowledge.

What percentage of the general public understand what makes a good
lubricant, rustproofer or penetrating oil? 1%?

What perncetage of the public knows what else one can choose for these
jobs?

What perncetage of the public thinks wd40 is a somehow magic product,
whose actions are impossible to duplicate with simple low cost goods
available on a lot more shelves than wd40?

Why would one choose to pay several times the price for no benefit?

This is the basic formula for all such commercially successful but
very basic products. Combine a few ingredients, market it as a wonder
solution for lots of problems, slap a high margin on it so people
think it must be wonderful, and off ya go, sales sales sales. Its
nothing to do with resentment, just a case of seeing past the hype and
knowing how to do better with more widely available ingredients for
less cost. Subject knowledge versus 'ooh, that advert sounds great.'

> > Similar comments apply to 3 in 1 oil, McDonald's hamburgers, Kellogg's
> > Corn Flakes and basically anything, anyone or any organisation that
> > makes a profit.
>
> Ah. You do live on some sink estate. Kellogg's cornflakes have more
> nutritional value in the cardboard packet than contents. MacDonalds are
> basically rubbish. Plenty of fast food available in the UK which is better
> for you and better value too.
>
> > This leads to a belief that, if you buy any one of these successful
> > products, you must have been short changed.

its several times the price per ml - if thats your buying policy good
luck to you. For me a higher price needs to have a justification. For
WD40 I've never heard one.

Bruce wrote:
> This leads to a belief that, if you buy any one of these successful
> products, you must have been short changed.

Its many times the price per ml of alternatives that are even more
widely available. Where's the advantage? There are lots of diy
products that do a lukewarm job at premium prices, see any shopping
channel - do you recommend those too? Do you think we, ukdiy, should?
Maybe its just me, but I just cant see a reason to. IMHO ukdiy is
about how to do a good job without paying several times the cost
needlessly.

NT

ARWadsworth

Dec 31, 2008, 8:22:00 AM12/31/08

"Tim S" <t...@dionic.net> wrote in message

Nice one.

Adam

meow...@care2.com

Dec 31, 2008, 11:17:38 AM12/31/08
Mark wrote:
> "The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Could someone explain the apparent witch hunt of WD40 around here? IMO
> > its an excellent product.
>

> http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html

Thank you - that pretty much answers the questions raised.

NT

meow...@care2.com

Dec 31, 2008, 11:34:47 AM12/31/08

Paraffin is still used medicinally, and AFAIK is not a known
carcinogen.

Engine oil I'm less certain about, but if it were known to be
carcinogenic I think a lot more precautions would be taken at garages,
and there would be stark awrnings on all engine oil containers..

NT

Tim S

Dec 31, 2008, 11:43:01 AM12/31/08
meow...@care2.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

> Engine oil I'm less certain about, but if it were known to be
> carcinogenic I think a lot more precautions would be taken at garages,
> and there would be stark awrnings on all engine oil containers..

I thought it was the products of combustion that made it carcenogenic.

Cheers

Tim

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 31, 2008, 12:15:10 PM12/31/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> saying something like:

>Makes you wonder why they sell millions of cans a day doesn't it?

People are stupid.

Rod

Dec 31, 2008, 12:33:48 PM12/31/08

It is indeed used medicinally (various tear products, for constipation,
on gauze dressings, etc.) - but it was removed from products such as
dried vine fruits a number of years ago for some reason that I have
completely forgotten. And how does the definition of paraffin in
medicine differ from the blue flame fuel?

geoff

Dec 31, 2008, 3:27:15 PM12/31/08
In message <6s1onuF...@mid.individual.net>, Rod
<poly...@ntlworld.com> writes

it's just a difference in length of the molecule

--
geoff

Mark

Dec 31, 2008, 6:29:09 PM12/31/08

<meow...@care2.com> wrote in message news:be09c938-f260-

> Engine oil I'm less certain about, but if it were known to be
> carcinogenic I think a lot more precautions would be taken at garages,
> and there would be stark awrnings on all engine oil containers..

Er used engine oil is.
Big H&S poster campaign in garages in the early 80s warning of the high-risk
to testicular cancer.
All mechanics now use gloves when working on vehicles, and they are not
normally the type of people that worry about getting their hands dirty.

-

Grimly Curmudgeon

Dec 31, 2008, 9:06:13 PM12/31/08
drugs began to take hold. I remember meow...@care2.com saying something
like:

>Engine oil I'm less certain about, but if it were known to be

>carcinogenic I think a lot more precautions would be taken at garages,
>and there would be stark awrnings on all engine oil containers..

Ok. Have it your own way - just don't blame anyone else for posting a
load of rubbish.
Engine oil as hair conditioner additive - I've read it all now.
Perhaps in Rajnapur in 1920, someone found it gave a lovely
Brylcreem-like sheen to their bonce.

Thomas Prufer

Jan 1, 2009, 5:18:15 AM1/1/09
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:19:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
<allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote:

>Is it cotton and raw(?) linseed oil that can spontaneously combust?

I'd be careful with all drying oils.

And I recall seeing fireproof "oily rags" containers with heavy self-closing
lids, so it may apply to other oils as well.

Thomas Prufer

meow...@care2.com

Jan 1, 2009, 1:09:13 PM1/1/09

Unless I'm mistaken I think the article talks about new engine oil
being used for hand cleaning, not filthy stuff.

Re engine oil as conditioner, I guess some clarification is needed.
The article says clearly it should not be done and why, but maybe that
aint clear enough.

NT

Message has been deleted