Spiders and Decking

SantaUK

Mar 29, 2009, 5:12:18 PM3/29/09
Help - having fitted decking right to the wall of the house last year, there
seems to have been a massive influx of spiders. Is there anything that I
can put down or spray around that will get rid of these pests?

--
Regards

SantaUK

Bill

Mar 29, 2009, 5:31:54 PM3/29/09
In message <zpCdnXqIxr21eVLU...@giganews.com>, SantaUK
<sa...@northpole.com> writes

>Help - having fitted decking right to the wall of the house last year, there
>seems to have been a massive influx of spiders. Is there anything that I
>can put down or spray around that will get rid of these pests?

Now I'm certainly no eco warrior, but what harm are the spiders doing
you that you wish to destroy them?

--
Bill

Dave

Mar 29, 2009, 5:35:11 PM3/29/09
Don't think of them as pests. They are very beneficial to your house and
garden.

Dave

Alan

Mar 29, 2009, 5:23:05 PM3/29/09
In message <zpCdnXqIxr21eVLU...@giganews.com>, SantaUK
<sa...@northpole.com> wrote

>Help - having fitted decking right to the wall of the house last year, there
>seems to have been a massive influx of spiders. Is there anything that I
>can put down or spray around that will get rid of these pests?

The spider are not pests - they will be eating the pests.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

D.M. Procida

Mar 29, 2009, 6:57:15 PM3/29/09
SantaUK <sa...@northpole.com> wrote:

What are the spiders doing to annoy? Most people like spiders because
they are good at dealing with troublesome insects.

Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D

anythin...@hotmail.com

Mar 29, 2009, 6:09:20 PM3/29/09
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:12:18 +0100, "SantaUK" <sa...@northpole.com>
wrote:

>Help - having fitted decking right to the wall of the house last year, there
>seems to have been a massive influx of spiders. Is there anything that I
>can put down or spray around that will get rid of these pests?

Get some chickens they eat spiders

Stuart

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2009, 6:09:40 PM3/29/09

If you bolt a ledger plate to the wall of the house above DPC level you
should use spacers to leave a 10mm gap, & the board(s) should have a 6mm
gap.

If you haven't done so, spiders are the least of your problems.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

george (dicegeorge)

Mar 29, 2009, 6:19:28 PM3/29/09

why is there a massive influx of spiders?
what are they eating?
why is there a massive influx of spider food?
maybe there's a dead cat under there
and pests are eating the cat
and spiders are eating the pests?

[g]

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2009, 6:28:54 PM3/29/09

"There was an old lady who swallowed a fly...."

Bill

Mar 29, 2009, 6:36:29 PM3/29/09
In message <gqos5g$1c45$1...@energise.enta.net>, "george (dicegeorge)"
<diceg...@gmail.com> writes

Decking, patios, remember Brookside?????????

--
Bill

Phil L

Mar 29, 2009, 8:11:01 PM3/29/09

Lots of things, but then you'll be troubled by bluebottles, so the question
really is, which would you rather have - spiders sitting quietly, or a dozen
bluebottles covered in dogshit and vomit hovering around your face and
landing on your burgers?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Matty F

Mar 29, 2009, 8:20:09 PM3/29/09
On Mar 30, 9:31 am, Bill <B...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <zpCdnXqIxr21eVLUnZ2dnUVZ8qCWn...@giganews.com>, SantaUK

Probably none. But how do I stop spiders from crawling over my
security cameras and making webs? Every time a spider moves I get
three video files recorded of it. I'm sick of having to check all
those files !

geoff

Mar 29, 2009, 8:23:07 PM3/29/09
In message <gqos5g$1c45$1...@energise.enta.net>, "george (dicegeorge)"
<diceg...@gmail.com> writes

No flies on you george ...

--
geoff

geoff

Mar 29, 2009, 8:23:52 PM3/29/09
In message <m$lYKRVtf$zJF...@birchnet.demon.co.uk>, Bill
<Bi...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> writes

No, never watched it

--
geoff

geoff

Mar 29, 2009, 8:29:27 PM3/29/09
In message
<8dc1998e-c991-45df...@r5g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
Matty F <matty...@yahoo.co.nz> writes

Move to a less pikey area / country

--
geoff

Matty F

Mar 29, 2009, 11:26:24 PM3/29/09
On Mar 30, 12:29 pm, geoff <ra...@kateda.org> wrote:
> In message
> <8dc1998e-c991-45df-957a-82ad760a5...@r5g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> Matty F <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> writes

> >On Mar 30, 9:31 am, Bill <B...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> In message <zpCdnXqIxr21eVLUnZ2dnUVZ8qCWn...@giganews.com>, SantaUK
> >> <sa...@northpole.com> writes

> >> Now I'm certainly no eco warrior, but what harm are the spiders doing
> >> you that you wish to destroy them?
>
> >Probably none. But how do I stop spiders from crawling over my
> >security cameras and making webs? Every time a spider moves I get
> >three video files recorded of it. I'm sick of having to check all
> >those files !
>
> Move to a less pikey area / country

I'm just monitoring an unoccupied building site.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8501576/

"An estimated 4.2 million cameras — largely concentrated in London and
other major cities —observe Britons as they go about their daily
business"

Bill

Mar 30, 2009, 1:33:39 AM3/30/09
>Probably none. But how do I stop spiders from crawling over my
>security cameras and making webs? Every time a spider moves I get
>three video files recorded of it. I'm sick of having to check all
>those files !

Now that I do sympathise with, but one fix it to fit dome cameras. I've
had lots of webs on the older style housings but domes do not give the
spiders the location they like and so are left alone.
--
Bill

Invisible Man

Mar 30, 2009, 2:59:44 AM3/30/09
Wot - no angle grinder angle?

Franko

Mar 30, 2009, 3:46:49 AM3/30/09
"Phil L" <neverc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Nice answer Phil,
I'll have to remember that when my Missus demands I kill a spider that she
doesn't like the look of :-)
Franko.

Rob G

Mar 30, 2009, 4:22:25 AM3/30/09
On 29 Mar, 23:09, "The Medway Handyman"

This is what I would call a 'Wall Plate', and I must admit I've never
heard of spacing it off, but if it is above the DPC then something
like that is necessary. Surely, however the spiders will just use the
spacers as bridges across the gap ?

Rob

SantaUK

Mar 30, 2009, 2:23:53 PM3/30/09
Thanks for the replies folks - its more SWMBO who really wants rid of them.
Its only March and when she walks out on the deck on a sunny day, the
blighters are everywhere, sunning themselves! Gives our niece a bit of a
game to play right enough, she has yet to catch one, but never gives up
trying.

--
Regards

SantaUK
"SantaUK" <sa...@northpole.com> wrote in message

SantaUK

Mar 30, 2009, 2:24:10 PM3/30/09
No, everything okay on that front.

--
Regards

SantaUK
"The Medway Handyman" <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Dave

Mar 30, 2009, 2:57:50 PM3/30/09

The only thing I can think of is to introducer some heat. A spider might
consider it to be a predator and move away from the camera.

Dave

The Medway Handyman

Mar 30, 2009, 3:08:31 PM3/30/09

Depends how big the spiders are I spose. Those with legs longer than 10mm
will stroll across, the shorter ones will abseil.

Matty F

Mar 30, 2009, 3:16:29 PM3/30/09

The cameras are very small and have six infrared LEDs. I imagine they
would be warm as they consume a few watts.

geoff

Mar 30, 2009, 3:50:55 PM3/30/09

Matty F

Mar 30, 2009, 4:27:12 PM3/30/09
On Mar 31, 7:50 am, geoff <ra...@kateda.org> wrote:
> In message
> <5292aea8-5cd2-49f3-94c9-bb569247d...@r5g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

Can't they pass a quick law to fix that? In my pikey country we pass
retrospective laws whenever necessary!

Alan

Mar 30, 2009, 4:37:21 PM3/30/09
In message <nCASgQHf...@demon.co.uk>, geoff <ra...@kateda.org>

It looks like someone has just looked at the numbers (of the camera
pixels) without actually understanding what they mean.

Ziggur

Apr 1, 2009, 11:21:44 AM4/1/09
SantaUK wrote:

> Help - having fitted decking right to the wall of the house last
> year, there seems to have been a massive influx of spiders. Is there
> anything that I can put down or spray around that will get rid of
> these pests?

Set fire to the deck. They will run away from the heat.