In praise of Earlex

1 view

rrh

Nov 22, 2008, 4:03:47 AM11/22/08
The hose end split on a 5-month-old Wickes-badged vac. Wickes told me to
call Earlex. Earlex immediately sent a replacement, no fuss. It was too
short. Overnight they sent the correct longer one with a prepaid label,
trusting me to return the first. Not bad for a product costing less than
£40. No connection except as customer; I just thought it worth sharing.

BigWallop

Nov 22, 2008, 4:24:16 AM11/22/08

"rrh" <rn...@hoggard.net> wrote in message

We love to hear about the good ones. If only we could complain as well as
we can praise. Maybe we wouldn't have some of the troubles we get. :-)

Earlex is now on the good guys list for a Christmas card then? lol

Adrian C

Nov 22, 2008, 4:49:33 AM11/22/08
BigWallop wrote:

> We love to hear about the good ones. If only we could complain as well as
> we can praise. Maybe we wouldn't have some of the troubles we get. :-)
>
> Earlex is now on the good guys list for a Christmas card then? lol

From my inbox...

Subject: RE: Looking for a replacement volume control pot!

Hello Adrian,

I am sorry to say we do not send out any parts to anyone but authorised
distributors for Cyrus. All we can do for you is book in the unit for a
fixed price service. The cost will be £178 + shipping of £18.80

Rgds
Br..

Cyrus Audio Ltd

No Christmas cards for them ...

--
Adrian C

Kevin

Nov 22, 2008, 5:05:14 AM11/22/08
I needed a volume pot and a phono jack plug for a Marshal guitar amp as
my son broke them off, I phoned marshal they arrived next day free of
charge so the good guys do exist

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Andrew Mawson

Nov 22, 2008, 5:47:03 AM11/22/08

"rrh" <rn...@hoggard.net> wrote in message

And they are good vacs as well. I've a grotty one used in the workshop
to suck up swarf, and a pristine one I use with a vacuum hold down
clamp for engraving

AWEM

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 22, 2008, 5:37:53 AM11/22/08
In article <6oq2teF...@mid.individual.net>,

Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> wrote:
> From my inbox...

> Subject: RE: Looking for a replacement volume control pot!

> Hello Adrian,

> I am sorry to say we do not send out any parts to anyone but authorised
> distributors for Cyrus. All we can do for you is book in the unit for a
> fixed price service. The cost will be £178 + shipping of £18.80

> Rgds
> Br..

> Cyrus Audio Ltd

> No Christmas cards for them ...

They're unlikely to be the only ones to use this pot so worth doing a
search. They also might not be allowed to pull this trick in other
countries - if they sell there.

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

fictiti...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2008, 6:12:32 AM11/22/08
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:05:14 +0000, Kevin <donte...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

Not quite d-i-y but anyway...I had a Tefal frying pan and the base had
become convex and that meant more oil than was desirable had to be put
in to enable the oil to spread all over the base,otherwise it just sat
round the edges .I e-mailed Tefal and send them a pic of the problem
and they sent me a replacement pan a couple of days ago...a different
pan as that model has been replaced and I suspect a better one .
Thx to Tefal. :-)

Harry Bloomfield

Nov 22, 2008, 6:25:29 AM11/22/08
BigWallop formulated the question :

> We love to hear about the good ones. If only we could complain as well as
> we can praise. Maybe we wouldn't have some of the troubles we get. :-)

OK, I'll play....

I bought a Plantronics bluetooth ear piece for my phone about 18 months
ago. I had gone through quite few different makes, which all failed for
various reasons, but this one was both rather good and secondly very
comfortable to wear.

A matter of months after getting it, the plastic over ear hook started
to fall apart - so I repaired it and repaired it. Eventually a few
weeks ago I decided to write to Plustronics and ask if they could
supply just the hook, as it was held on with an easy to remove pin. No
said they - it was all or nothing, send the broken one in and they
would send out a complete new replacement - a later and a better spec
model.

My 11 (eleven) year old car is fitted as standard with an LCD auto
dimming mirror, which has a known tendency to leak the LCD chemical
when it gets old. Which happened in my case. The mirror is made by a US
company and they cost £150 each. I wrote to them explaining what had
happened, they wrote straight back asking for the VIN make and model,
plus some photographs of the failure. They wrote back again with a
customs form to be completed, plus claim form and said a new
replacement was in the post -to reuse the packing from that to send the
old one back. They paid postage to me and prepaid postage for the
return of the old one collected from my door. Total cost to them around
£220.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

John

Nov 22, 2008, 6:37:45 AM11/22/08

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

hence the trend of items to be labelled "No user serviceable parts inside"

Often parts exist in a form that allows them to be used on assembly lines.
The name badge owner may not have access to 'spares' as they bought a
sub-assembly - ie a circuit board.

fictiti...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2008, 8:19:49 AM11/22/08
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:25:29 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
<harry...@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>BigWallop formulated the question :
>> We love to hear about the good ones. If only we could complain as well as
>> we can praise. Maybe we wouldn't have some of the troubles we get. :-)
>
>OK, I'll play....
>
>I bought a Plantronics bluetooth ear piece for my phone about 18 months
>ago. I had gone through quite few different makes, which all failed for
>various reasons, but this one was both rather good and secondly very
>comfortable to wear.
>
>A matter of months after getting it, the plastic over ear hook started
>to fall apart - so I repaired it and repaired it. Eventually a few
>weeks ago I decided to write to Plustronics and ask if they could
>supply just the hook, as it was held on with an easy to remove pin. No
>said they - it was all or nothing, send the broken one in and they
>would send out a complete new replacement - a later and a better spec
>model.

Sounds like a reasonable offer .Did you not accept?

>My 11 (eleven) year old car is fitted as standard with an LCD auto
>dimming mirror, which has a known tendency to leak the LCD chemical
>when it gets old. Which happened in my case. The mirror is made by a US
>company and they cost £150 each. I wrote to them explaining what had
>happened, they wrote straight back asking for the VIN make and model,
>plus some photographs of the failure. They wrote back again with a
>customs form to be completed, plus claim form and said a new
>replacement was in the post -to reuse the packing from that to send the
>old one back. They paid postage to me and prepaid postage for the
>return of the old one collected from my door. Total cost to them around
>£220.

Excellent service above and beyond the call of duty.

The Medway Handyman

Nov 22, 2008, 9:50:21 AM11/22/08

I'd agree with that. I use mine for sucking the water out of rads, cisterns
etc & with a dry filter I can use a circular saw inside a customers house
with almost 100% extraction.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave Plowman (News)

Nov 22, 2008, 10:07:44 AM11/22/08
In article <N_UVk.91283$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,

The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > And they are good vacs as well. I've a grotty one used in the workshop
> > to suck up swarf, and a pristine one I use with a vacuum hold down
> > clamp for engraving

> I'd agree with that. I use mine for sucking the water out of rads,
> cisterns etc & with a dry filter I can use a circular saw inside a
> customers house with almost 100% extraction.

I've got an ancient Rowenta still in use for this sort of thing. Was a
Which best buy - and they were certainly right. Who said the French suck?

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Steve Firth

Nov 22, 2008, 10:22:17 AM11/22/08
rrh <rn...@hoggard.net> wrote:

I've had good service from them in the past as well, for both steamers
and the vacuum I use in the garage. They were quite happy for me to pick
up spares in person when I lived in Godalming - the factory was just
down the road from the house. The only argument I have with them is that
their mains leads are too short. They seem to prefer having enromously
long suction hoses to having adequate mains leads. The Henry is much
better in this respect.

Message has been deleted

dmc

Nov 22, 2008, 3:02:03 PM11/22/08
In article <N_UVk.91283$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I'd agree with that. I use mine for sucking the water out of rads, cisterns
>etc & with a dry filter I can use a circular saw inside a customers house
>with almost 100% extraction.

Ah, good timing. I appear to have finally killed the elcheapo wet'n'dry
cleaner thing that I've been using (smells like cats piss anyway - I'm not
sad it's finally died :)) with plaster dust today. 40 quid from wickes
sounds promising - how is it with plaster dust?

I assume bags are easy enough to obtain (from Wickes?)

Might pick one up tomorrow....

Darren - who now needs to work out how to get the plaster dust out of the
miele "bag full" gadget before SWMBO notices :)

chris French

Nov 22, 2008, 5:21:39 PM11/22/08
In message <60...@malfoy.ukc.ac.uk>, dmc <D.M.C...@ukc.ac.uk> writes

>In article <N_UVk.91283$E41....@text.news.virginmedia.com>,
>The Medway Handyman <davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I'd agree with that. I use mine for sucking the water out of rads, cisterns
>>etc & with a dry filter I can use a circular saw inside a customers house
>>with almost 100% extraction.
>
>Ah, good timing. I appear to have finally killed the elcheapo wet'n'dry
>cleaner thing that I've been using (smells like cats piss anyway - I'm not
>sad it's finally died :)) with plaster dust today. 40 quid from wickes
>sounds promising - how is it with plaster dust?
>
>I assume bags are easy enough to obtain (from Wickes?)

As has been said, they are badged Earlex machines so bags should be
easily available, including online
--
Chris French