Bosch GOP 10.8v multi-tool - mini review

1 view

A.Lee

Oct 16, 2008, 3:35:32 PM10/16/08
After using the PMF 180 for a few months and found it excellent in most
areas I require it for, I found the only drawback was being attached to
a mains cable.
So, after the sale of a new phone on ebay, I had enough in my Paypal
account to buy the 10.8v cordless tool for £142.
First impressions were very good, a much more sturdy,and bigger box than
the PMF, with enough room in it to replace the tool with any bit still
attached, which is a pain with the PMF. There is also a 'bit' box with
slots for holding 10 or so bits/discs/allen key etc. Well thought out.
The tool is well balanced, better than the PMF I think. the battery does
not make it 'rear' heavy at all.

On to its use. Very good - as powerful as the PMF. Then, I realised why
it was so powerful - the batteries die very quickly. I reckon not much
over 15 minutes use before the battery is flat.
It comes with 2 batteries, so if you have the charger on site, then it
shouldnt really be a problem - I put laminate down in a living room
yesterday, and got through 3 batteries - trimming skirting and edges,
then removing lips along one wall length.This was at the fastest
setting, so may be better at slower speeds.
The fast battery use didnt impede my use, though it has put a downer on
the tool - maybe 10.8v was a little too low for such a tool..
Another good point was the reduction in vibration - another fault of the
PMF IMO - it was irritating to use it for more than 5 minutes as it
vibrated so much, the cordless version is much smoother, though it does
vibrate still.
Overall, I think it is better than the PMF, certainly more usable
without a mains lead attached, but be aware of the fast battery drain.

Alan.

John Stumbles

Oct 16, 2008, 4:04:07 PM10/16/08
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:35:32 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

---8<---

Thanks for that. Having a PMF180 and found, like you, that the mains
power is a hassle, I've been eyeing this beast since I saw it (please
Santa ...:-)).

I guess one wouldn't expect the batteries to last that long: 180 watts for
the mains version divided by say 18V would be 10A which would be 1/5 hour
or 12 minutes for a 2Ah battery, so 15 mins from a 10V battery is not bad.
My use (or potential use) of the PMF180 is mostly quickly cutting
something in an impossible location for which the battery powered version
would be ideal, with occasional prolonged use say cutting through tiles
with the grit-edged saw, for which lower vibration (and noise?) might
still make up for the hassle of swapping batteries.

--
John Stumbles

87.5% of statistics are made up

meow...@care2.com

Oct 16, 2008, 5:15:02 PM10/16/08

If its a big enough problem its poss to make a much bigger pack that
clips onto the belt etc, with a lead to a gutted battery pack.

NT