Argos multitool

1 view

PCPaul

Oct 30, 2008, 6:05:20 PM10/30/08
I went in the other day to buy the WorX sonic tool thing - like the Fein
Multimaster or the Bosch PMF-180. I was expecting £69.99 but it's in the
sale at £55ish *and* I got a £5 gift card thrown in.. can't say fairer
than that, can you?

Anyway, the job that I needed a new tool for was widening the cooker slot
in the kitchen to fit a 60cm cooker instead of a 55cm one - luckily the
kitchen was planned with spacers that could be removed to allow this, so
I just had to trim the worktop back as well.

I used a router and jigsaw to trim it back as far as possible, then the
straight blade on my new gadget easily and very neatly cut all the way to
the wall. Incredibly easy to control it. I even cut the laminate with the
half-round blade to get a clean edge, and just following a pencil line
freehand was trivial and dead straight.

So, if you're looking for Xmas ideas, start mentioning it now! It comes
in a solid blow moulded case with the straight and half-round blades, and
a triangular sanding head with a range of velcro sanding sheets. Having
really tried that yet.

Next purchase is the Fein 'old tools' adaptor (£5 from fein online) which
will apparently fit it and allow the new star shaped Fein accessories to
be used in it, giving a much wider range of bits to cut up or sand with.

BigWallop

Oct 30, 2008, 6:32:04 PM10/30/08

"PCPaul" <ur...@bitrot.co.uk> wrote in message

> I went in the other day to buy the WorX sonic tool thing - like the Fein
> Multimaster or the Bosch PMF-180. I was expecting £69.99 but it's in the
> sale at £55ish *and* I got a £5 gift card thrown in.. can't say fairer

> than that, can you?
>
> Anyway, the job that I needed a new tool for was widening the cooker slot
> in the kitchen to fit a 60cm cooker instead of a 55cm one - luckily the
> kitchen was planned with spacers that could be removed to allow this, so
> I just had to trim the worktop back as well.
>
> I used a router and jigsaw to trim it back as far as possible, then the
> straight blade on my new gadget easily and very neatly cut all the way to
> the wall. Incredibly easy to control it. I even cut the laminate with the
> half-round blade to get a clean edge, and just following a pencil line
> freehand was trivial and dead straight.
>
> So, if you're looking for Xmas ideas, start mentioning it now! It comes
> in a solid blow moulded case with the straight and half-round blades, and
> a triangular sanding head with a range of velcro sanding sheets. Having
> really tried that yet.
>
> Next purchase is the Fein 'old tools' adaptor (£5 from fein online) which

> will apparently fit it and allow the new star shaped Fein accessories to
> be used in it, giving a much wider range of bits to cut up or sand with.

I also like the Bosch
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/Tool_Reviews/bosch_pmf_180E.htm . I got
one of these thinking it would do one job where nothing else would fit and
have been using it ever since on all types of jobs. I thought it was one of
those "it's OK for such and such, but it won't do that" type of tools. How
wrong was I then.

If you can get them at the price you say, then I would recommend getting one
if you are a serious DIYer, or even if you like a multi tool that can be
used in a couple of minutes, to do a job that normally needs three or four
different power tools to complete it.

Wait until you get the attachments for it, Paul. You'll lose touch with all
things it can be used for.

EricP

Oct 31, 2008, 1:45:15 PM10/31/08
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:05:20 GMT, PCPaul <ur...@bitrot.co.uk> wrote:

>I went in the other day to buy the WorX sonic tool thing - like the Fein
>Multimaster or the Bosch PMF-180. I was expecting £69.99 but it's in the
>sale at £55ish *and* I got a £5 gift card thrown in.. can't say fairer
>than that, can you?

Seeing this I went and bought one from Argos.

The information on the site and indeed the box it comes in show it as
cutting brick tile plastic and everything.

On opening the box i found the expected wood chisel but the other
half-round blade looks like a wood saw blade, not a multi purpose
blade. It is even marked "HSS" which means high speed steel to me and
therefore only for wood and soft material use. If I attempted to use
it on concrete, the teeth would instantly vanish??

Help please!

BigWallop

Oct 31, 2008, 1:51:49 PM10/31/08

"EricP" <er...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Have a look at the video on the bottom of this page
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/Tool_Reviews/bosch_pmf_180E.htm to see
what's what.

I didn't get a wood chisel in mine. I did get a metal cutting blade that
looks like a wood chisel, until you feel the end of it.

The video on the web page shows you a good demonstration of this type tool.

The Medway Handyman

Oct 31, 2008, 2:56:02 PM10/31/08
PCPaul wrote:
> I went in the other day to buy the WorX sonic tool thing - like the
> Fein Multimaster or the Bosch PMF-180. I was expecting £69.99 but
> it's in the sale at £55ish *and* I got a £5 gift card thrown in..
> can't say fairer than that, can you?

Wonder if the Bosch blades fit? Any chance of posting a picky of the blade?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

EricP

Oct 31, 2008, 4:14:18 PM10/31/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:56:02 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>PCPaul wrote:
>> I went in the other day to buy the WorX sonic tool thing - like the
>> Fein Multimaster or the Bosch PMF-180. I was expecting £69.99 but
>> it's in the sale at £55ish *and* I got a £5 gift card thrown in..
>> can't say fairer than that, can you?
>
>Wonder if the Bosch blades fit? Any chance of posting a picky of the blade?

Answer is No. Completely different fitting. Worx and Fein are a star
cutout and Bosch is a hole with a circle of little holes around that.

EricP

Oct 31, 2008, 4:28:27 PM10/31/08

Thanks Wallop. It looks like this goes back and a Bosch replaces it.
There seem to be no more blades for the Worx anyway.

PCPaul

Oct 31, 2008, 4:38:54 PM10/31/08

That's what I understand.. you can use the old or new Fein accessories
(with the £5 adaptor), but Bosch is a different setup completely.

Housemartin

Nov 1, 2008, 12:52:31 PM11/1/08
I wonder if somone will come up with an adaptor to fit fein blades to
the Boch PMF type?

Doctor Drivel

Nov 4, 2008, 6:52:10 AM11/4/08

"Housemartin" <martin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>I wonder if somone will come up with an adaptor to fit fein blades to
> the Boch PMF type?

So the Worx can use Fein blades and the Bosch cannot. Is that so?

So what fits what in the three tools?

The Worx is one speed I believe. Is that so?