Labelling plastic box

robgraham

Jan 29, 2009, 7:10:22 AM1/29/09
I'm making new control boxes for two older wood working lathes - 3
phase motors so need to control the single to three phase convertors.

I'm using a single gang plastic pattress box with a blank cover
plate. It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the
switches and speed control knob with something better than tape from a
label maker.

Anybody got suggestions as to the best way to do this ?

Thanks
Rob

Man at B&Q

Jan 29, 2009, 7:17:27 AM1/29/09

I would have said Avery heavy duty address label, like self adhesive
foil, that would go through a laser printer, but they don't seem to do
them anymore.

MBQ

Man at B&Q

Jan 29, 2009, 7:19:30 AM1/29/09

Something like http://www.mayfairstationers.co.uk/avery-heavy-duty-laser-labels-silver-p-516.html
but you used to be able to buy them as a whole A4 sheet rather than
precut labels.

MBQ

Man at B&Q

Jan 29, 2009, 7:21:50 AM1/29/09
On Jan 29, 12:17 pm, "Man at B&Q" <manatba...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Bingo! http://preview.tinyurl.com/c74tc4

Apologies for the multiple posts, I didn't look hard enough the first
time.

MBQ

Bill

Jan 29, 2009, 7:22:25 AM1/29/09
In message
<0162e121-2251-4057...@r10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
robgraham <robkg...@btinternet.com> writes

Design on your PC, print and laminate. I've made a few this way and
they look respectable. Make sure that the card/paper is smaller than
the area of laminate needs to be so that when you cut it to size there
is still a seal around the edge, otherwise moisture etc. will creep in.

--
Bill

Spamlet

Jan 29, 2009, 7:29:25 AM1/29/09

"robgraham" <robkg...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

If you have a printer, you could design a suitable text or pattern on the pc
and then print, cut out and stick on and then lacquer or clear sticky
plastic cover.

Which reminds me, I was going to make try and make an outdoor label to
signify which paving stone needs to be lifted to get at the new rodding
point our builder has just covered over...

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 29, 2009, 7:35:57 AM1/29/09

laser print onto vinyl peel and stick stock?

most printers will be able to do this for you.

Or if you have a color laser, you should be able to buy suitable stock
somewhere.

PM

Jan 29, 2009, 7:56:37 AM1/29/09

I've used Letraset transfers with great success.

Owain

Jan 29, 2009, 8:35:05 AM1/29/09

Plastic blanking plates can be engraved and paint infilled - google
industrial engraving.

If you use the flat metalclad style instead of plastic, most high street
key-cutting and tankard-engraving places should be able to do the lettering.

Owain

Andy Dingley

Jan 29, 2009, 8:44:20 AM1/29/09
On 29 Jan, 12:10, robgraham <robkgra...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the
> switches and speed control knob with something better than tape from a
> label maker.

How about a better label maker? Aldi have the Brother smooth-tape
label printers in very soon and these are about as good quality as
you're going to get on a tape. Far better than raised Dymo! It's
quite hard to find the right sort of refill tape, but you don't use
that much of it.

Next step up from that is a better cobbler / key cut place that has a
pantograph engraver for doing dog tags in laminated plastic. Give them
a day or two and most can engrave on larger sheets too.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2009, 8:57:57 AM1/29/09
In article
<0162e121-2251-4057...@r10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed down)
do a rather fine aluminium etching process which can be used at home and
gives superb results. Uses coloured dyes and anodised sheet - so you end
up with a combination of natural and red, green blue, yellow or black. You
can also do different parts in different colours with care.
Search for 586-073 at the RS site - they do a PDF of instructions. The
starter kit is quite expensive - but you'll find plenty else to make
panels for with it. ;-)

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2009, 8:59:14 AM1/29/09
In article <padLDrbB...@birchnet.demon.co.uk>,

Bill <Bi...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Design on your PC, print and laminate. I've made a few this way and
> they look respectable.

With respect, they look exactly like what they are. You can tell it's been
laminated.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

robgraham

Jan 29, 2009, 9:10:10 AM1/29/09
On 29 Jan, 12:22, Bill <B...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <0162e121-2251-4057-9a71-e16a87f6c...@r10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> robgraham <robkgra...@btinternet.com> writes

Hi Bill - what form does the lamination take ? I've got one of these
paper laminators but that's only for paper.

Rob

Bill

Jan 29, 2009, 9:10:41 AM1/29/09
In message <5025449...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>In article <padLDrbB...@birchnet.demon.co.uk>,
> Bill <Bi...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Design on your PC, print and laminate. I've made a few this way and
>> they look respectable.
>
>With respect, they look exactly like what they are. You can tell it's been
>laminated.

Indeed they do, but it is a quick and easy way to do it. Not sure how
much time, effort and money the OP wanted to put into the job and that
was a quick solution.

If money is of little worry then these look as if they could be quite
good, a bit OTT for a one off though.

http://www.adcal-labels.co.uk/front-control-panel-labels.htm

--
Bill

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2009, 9:16:13 AM1/29/09
In article
<67eb828f-1e80-41df...@p2g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

robgraham <robkg...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Design on your PC, print and laminate. I've made a few this way and
> > they look respectable. Make sure that the card/paper is smaller than
> > the area of laminate needs to be so that when you cut it to size there
> > is still a seal around the edge, otherwise moisture etc. will creep in.

> Hi Bill - what form does the lamination take ? I've got one of these

> paper laminators but that's only for paper.

You print the label and then cut it to size. Then stick that through the
laminator. After it's set you trim that to slightly larger than the label.

But because you don't get perfect contact between the laminate and paper
it doesn't stand close inspection. Better to just stick the paper label on
and use some lacquer to protect it.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Andy Dingley

Jan 29, 2009, 9:21:41 AM1/29/09
On 29 Jan, 13:57, "Dave Plowman (News)" <d...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed down)

Isn't that one of the signs of Ragnarok?

> do a rather fine aluminium etching process which can be used at home and
> gives superb results.

And I'll bet that Caswell have something very similar, at half the
price.

Andy Dingley

Jan 29, 2009, 9:24:16 AM1/29/09
On 29 Jan, 13:59, "Dave Plowman (News)" <d...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> they look exactly like what they are. You can tell it's been
> laminated.

Get better quality laminating materials, and a laminator that has
enough heating capacity to use them. I've been disappointed in just
this quality from a cheap laminator. Just try making outdoor signage
with one, so that it doesn't start to leak from the edges.

...Fortunately I then found an office throwing away its big old square
laminator (all of 15-20 years old) in favour of a shiny new plastic
one that _looked_ nicer.

ARWadsworth

Jan 29, 2009, 9:49:09 AM1/29/09

"Dave Plowman (News)" <da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
I had some sockets engraved. I seen to recall taking them to Edmundsons
Electrical. It cost about £4 per socket.

Adam

Bill

Jan 29, 2009, 10:18:08 AM1/29/09
In message <5025462...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>> Hi Bill - what form does the lamination take ? I've got one of these
>> paper laminators but that's only for paper.
>
>You print the label and then cut it to size. Then stick that through the
>laminator. After it's set you trim that to slightly larger than the label.
>
>But because you don't get perfect contact between the laminate and paper
>it doesn't stand close inspection. Better to just stick the paper label on
>and use some lacquer to protect it.

As Dave says, but with the addition of try using thin white card and as
thick a laminate pouch as your laminator will handle. One thing I would
have against lacquer would be that if there was likely to be any
scuffing then it could break through to the paper/card and let moisture
etc through whereas the laminate would offer more protection and as Dave
said trim it slightly larger than the printed material.

--
Bill

Bob Eager

Jan 29, 2009, 2:26:23 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:10:22 UTC, robgraham <robkg...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/c37cld

http://www.diybanter.com

meow...@care2.com

Jan 29, 2009, 2:56:29 PM1/29/09
robgraham wrote:

Last time I did something like this I used car spray paint, followed
by letraset, followed by the clear topcoat. Looked top notch, but isnt
quick. I think you'd be better doing it on metal, but if you must use
plastic, at least sand it first.

NT

Alan J. Wylie

Jan 29, 2009, 3:40:35 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 06:21:41 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley <din...@codesmiths.com> said:

> On 29 Jan, 13:57, "Dave Plowman (News)" <d...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>> If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed
>> down)

> Isn't that one of the signs of Ragnarok?

Another being Farnell doing two 10% off *everything* discount offers in
a fortnight.

Today's news from Northamptonshire about RS making 370 people redundant
shed a bit of light on a phone call I had a work a couple of days ago
from an RS teledroid who wasn't interested in me after I said we always
place our orders over the web. I wonder if he was digging his own grave?

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/

nightjar

Jan 29, 2009, 5:12:13 PM1/29/09

> In article <padLDrbB...@birchnet.demon.co.uk>,
> Bill <Bi...@birchnet.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Design on your PC, print and laminate. I've made a few this way and
>> they look respectable.
>
> With respect, they look exactly like what they are. You can tell it's been
> laminated.

They still look a lot better than a dymo tape label and using a lamination
carrier will improve the finish.

Colin Bignell

Dave Liquorice

Jan 29, 2009, 4:49:32 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 04:10:22 -0800 (PST), robgraham wrote:

> It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the switches and
> speed control knob with something better than tape from a label maker.

Label maker as in dymo raised impression tape or one of the laminated tape
machines like the Brother p-Touch range. The latter are pretty damn good
IMHO and with clear base get a very good result.

Engraving and in filling isn't expensive and produces the best results. If
you don't have a use for a label machine, you can get an awful lot of
engraving done for the same cost...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Mike

Jan 29, 2009, 5:24:22 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:57:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article
><0162e121-2251-4057...@r10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> robgraham <robkg...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> I'm making new control boxes for two older wood working lathes - 3
>> phase motors so need to control the single to three phase convertors.
>
>> I'm using a single gang plastic pattress box with a blank cover
>> plate. It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the
>> switches and speed control knob with something better than tape from a
>> label maker.
>
>> Anybody got suggestions as to the best way to do this ?
>
>If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed down)
>do a rather fine aluminium etching process which can be used at home and
>gives superb results. Uses coloured dyes and anodised sheet - so you end
>up with a combination of natural and red, green blue, yellow or black. You
>can also do different parts in different colours with care.
>Search for 586-073 at the RS site - they do a PDF of instructions. The
>starter kit is quite expensive - but you'll find plenty else to make
>panels for with it. ;-)

That stock code and all the other bits for the panel making kit are
long since discontinued. The last catalogue I know they appeared in
would be around 2002.

dennis@home

Jan 29, 2009, 5:38:24 PM1/29/09

"Dave Liquorice" <allsortsn...@howhill.com> wrote in message

How many can you get done for £12.99?
That's what a Ptouch one is in lidl this week.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2009, 6:18:34 PM1/29/09
In article <-fudnev5XscstB_U...@giganews.com>,

nightjar <cpb@<insert my surname here>.me.uk> wrote:
> > With respect, they look exactly like what they are. You can tell it's
> > been laminated.

> They still look a lot better than a dymo tape label and using a
> lamination carrier will improve the finish.

I didn't realise Dymo tape still existed. I've got a Brother label printer
that produces excellent results - but a strip label will always look what
it is. Although the white labels blend in quite well to white electrical
faceplates.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2009, 6:20:23 PM1/29/09
In article <g3b4o4dgnkptklk32...@4ax.com>,

Mike <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed
> >down) do a rather fine aluminium etching process which can be used at
> >home and gives superb results. Uses coloured dyes and anodised sheet -
> >so you end up with a combination of natural and red, green blue, yellow
> >or black. You can also do different parts in different colours with
> >care. Search for 586-073 at the RS site - they do a PDF of
> >instructions. The starter kit is quite expensive - but you'll find
> >plenty else to make panels for with it. ;-)

> That stock code and all the other bits for the panel making kit are
> long since discontinued. The last catalogue I know they appeared in
> would be around 2002.

It's the number given in the instructions I have - and I checked it at the
RS site today. They still have the starter kit in stock.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Mike

Jan 29, 2009, 6:36:04 PM1/29/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:20:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <g3b4o4dgnkptklk32...@4ax.com>,
> Mike <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> >If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed
>> >down) do a rather fine aluminium etching process which can be used at
>> >home and gives superb results. Uses coloured dyes and anodised sheet -
>> >so you end up with a combination of natural and red, green blue, yellow
>> >or black. You can also do different parts in different colours with
>> >care. Search for 586-073 at the RS site - they do a PDF of
>> >instructions. The starter kit is quite expensive - but you'll find
>> >plenty else to make panels for with it. ;-)
>
>> That stock code and all the other bits for the panel making kit are
>> long since discontinued. The last catalogue I know they appeared in
>> would be around 2002.
>
>It's the number given in the instructions I have - and I checked it at the
>RS site today. They still have the starter kit in stock.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=586-073&x=11&y=11

"We found no results for 586-073 "

Must be a different internet you have :)

geoff

Jan 29, 2009, 6:50:18 PM1/29/09
In message <502577c...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>In article <-fudnev5XscstB_U...@giganews.com>,
> nightjar <cpb@<insert my surname here>.me.uk> wrote:
>> > With respect, they look exactly like what they are. You can tell it's
>> > been laminated.
>
>> They still look a lot better than a dymo tape label and using a
>> lamination carrier will improve the finish.
>
>I didn't realise Dymo tape still existed. I've got a Brother label printer
>that produces excellent results - but a strip label will always look what
>it is. Although the white labels blend in quite well to white electrical
>faceplates.

join the 20th century daddio

you need one of these

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2jBRacZUE

--
geoff

geoff

Jan 29, 2009, 6:51:21 PM1/29/09
In message <502577f...@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<da...@davenoise.co.uk> writes

>In article <g3b4o4dgnkptklk32...@4ax.com>,
> Mike <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> >If you're really really keen RS Components (if they haven't closed
>> >down)

they announced 400 redundancies today ...

>> >do a rather fine aluminium etching process which can be used at
>> >home and gives superb results. Uses coloured dyes and anodised sheet -
>> >so you end up with a combination of natural and red, green blue, yellow
>> >or black. You can also do different parts in different colours with
>> >care. Search for 586-073 at the RS site - they do a PDF of
>> >instructions. The starter kit is quite expensive - but you'll find
>> >plenty else to make panels for with it. ;-)
>
>> That stock code and all the other bits for the panel making kit are
>> long since discontinued. The last catalogue I know they appeared in
>> would be around 2002.
>
>It's the number given in the instructions I have - and I checked it at the
>RS site today. They still have the starter kit in stock.

--
geoff

Bob Eager

Jan 29, 2009, 7:29:14 PM1/29/09

No, but the correct number is 568-073.

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 29, 2009, 7:00:44 PM1/29/09
In article <38f4o499959ki1sdt...@4ax.com>,

Mike <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >It's the number given in the instructions I have - and I checked it at
> >the RS site today. They still have the starter kit in stock.

> http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=586-073&x=11&y=11

> "We found no results for 586-073 "

> Must be a different internet you have :)

Bit of a senior moment. Try 568-073 ;-)

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 30, 2009, 4:58:33 AM1/30/09
In article <4mzH1an5...@ntlworld.com>,

geoff <ra...@kateda.org> wrote:

> they announced 400 redundancies today ...

Indeed - hence the comment.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

PCPaul

Jan 30, 2009, 11:45:55 AM1/30/09
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:50:18 +0000, geoff wrote:

> join the 20th century daddio
>
> you need one of these
>
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2jBRacZUE

I wish I could get hold of one - no end of things I'd like to engrave
with a laser engraver.

Found out the other day that my son's school(!) has just got one - they
did their own designs for stuff and he came home with a nicely engraved
and precisely laser cut F-16 silhouette keyring.

We made milking stools. Hmm.

l.mil...@tiscali.co.uk

Jan 30, 2009, 2:51:12 PM1/30/09
On 29 Jan, 21:49, "Dave Liquorice" <allsortsnotthis...@howhill.com>
wrote:

Lidl have the Brother p-touch this week for around £12 or £13.

Lawrence

Andrew Gabriel

Jan 31, 2009, 6:58:10 AM1/31/09
In article <l-GdnTeCH-twLRzU...@posted.plusnet>,
Owain <owain...@stirlingcity.coo.uk> writes:

> robgraham wrote:
>> I'm making new control boxes for two older wood working lathes - 3
>> phase motors so need to control the single to three phase convertors.
>> I'm using a single gang plastic pattress box with a blank cover
>> plate. It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the

>> switches and speed control knob with something better than tape from a
>> label maker.
>> Anybody got suggestions as to the best way to do this ?
>
> Plastic blanking plates can be engraved and paint infilled - google
> industrial engraving.

I've had lots of regular 13A sockets engraved in this way,
and it was surprisingly cheap, although I haven't had any
done recently.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Dave Plowman (News)

Jan 31, 2009, 7:51:56 AM1/31/09
In article <49843cd2$0$510$5a6a...@news.aaisp.net.uk>,

Andrew Gabriel <and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Plastic blanking plates can be engraved and paint infilled - google
> > industrial engraving.

> I've had lots of regular 13A sockets engraved in this way,
> and it was surprisingly cheap, although I haven't had any
> done recently.

By far the best solution. When I worked at Thames TV they had a
computerised one which removed the need for manual skills. Replaced by
others, of course. ;-) Since that was many years ago I'd expect such
things are now very much cheaper.

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

jo...@jjdesigns.fsnet.co.uk

Jan 31, 2009, 4:37:15 PM1/31/09

robgraham wrote:

> I'm making new control boxes for two older wood working lathes - 3
> phase motors so need to control the single to three phase convertors.
>
> I'm using a single gang plastic pattress box with a blank cover
> plate. It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the
> switches and speed control knob with something better than tape from a
> label maker.
>
> Anybody got suggestions as to the best way to do this ?
>

> Thanks
> Rob

Ye, an age old problem but settled on this style ...
http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=foillabelnj5.jpg
They wear well (kit in the pic's been well worked this past year)
and can offer a tad more subtlety that the tape strips.
Stuff is extremely thin, sticky backed, gold or silver mettalic foil
(Lidl). Lasered, then thin laminate pouch (Lidl), run through the
laminator (Lidl) 3 times. Double sided tape (yep Lidl), chop up and
stick on.

Jason

Feb 1, 2009, 6:39:05 AM2/1/09
Bob Eager wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:10:22 UTC, robgraham <robkg...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm making new control boxes for two older wood working lathes - 3
>> phase motors so need to control the single to three phase convertors.
>>
>> I'm using a single gang plastic pattress box with a blank cover
>> plate. It would make a nice finish to the job if I could label the
>> switches and speed control knob with something better than tape from a
>> label maker.
>>
>> Anybody got suggestions as to the best way to do this ?

One method I have used to label light switches, is to laser-print the labels
onto laser-proof overhead projector acetates. This can then be cut out to the
size of the panel and fixed down with Superglue around the edge. Print the
labels out backwards, so the printing ends up on the reverse side, so it is
protected.

-- Jason