Simplest, cleanest way to clean gloss

Jim S

Jun 29, 2008, 7:59:59 AM6/29/08
I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room.
What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to repainting in
the same colour?
I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing
about with copious liquids is out.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

TheOldFellow

Jun 29, 2008, 8:24:39 AM6/29/08
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:59:59 +0100
Jim S <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room.
> What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to repainting in
> the same colour?
> I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing
> about with copious liquids is out.

Detail sander with a 3-400 grit paper. Vacuum cleaner on the vacuum
port.
Using oil-based Gloss: 1 coat of undercoat, 2 coats of gloss.

Bob Minchin

Jun 29, 2008, 8:29:41 AM6/29/08
Jim S wrote:
> I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room.
> What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to repainting in
> the same colour?
> I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing
> about with copious liquids is out.
Sugar soap solution. Wring out the cloth well and work carefully perhaps?

Bob

Mary Fisher

Jun 29, 2008, 9:03:23 AM6/29/08

"Bob Minchin" <nos...@falseaddress.com> wrote in message

No need. Clean with a damp micropore cloth. when the cloth is dirty (which
will be surprisingly frequently) wash it in soapy water and rinse it.

Mary

Rod

Jun 29, 2008, 9:25:56 AM6/29/08
Jim S wrote:
> I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room.
> What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to repainting in
> the same colour?
> I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing
> about with copious liquids is out.

Any bits that need sanding, use wet and dry and have a bowl of water to
rinse it in regularly. Wipe down afterwards with plain water.

I have never decided whether it is better to use sugar soap before or
after. So my rule of thumb is to use it before if the paint is obviously
dirty. And after if the paint was fairly clean.

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

stuart noble

Jun 29, 2008, 10:14:54 AM6/29/08
Rod wrote:
> Jim S wrote:
>> I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room.
>> What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to
>> repainting in
>> the same colour?
>> I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing
>> about with copious liquids is out.
>
> Any bits that need sanding, use wet and dry and have a bowl of water to
> rinse it in regularly. Wipe down afterwards with plain water.
>
> I have never decided whether it is better to use sugar soap before or
> after. So my rule of thumb is to use it before if the paint is obviously
> dirty. And after if the paint was fairly clean.

I wonder if sugar soap serves any purpose at all unless your paintwork
is covered in something particularly greasy.

Rod

Jun 29, 2008, 10:26:40 AM6/29/08

I am not sure either. With oil-based paint - maybe not. With water-based
I am fairly convinced it does if there is any grease on the surface. But
I could be convinced either way by a proper experiment. For the price,
I'll stick with it until then.

Phil L

Jun 29, 2008, 11:37:27 AM6/29/08
Jim S wrote:
> I have to redecorate my 10' 6" high living room.
> What is the least messy way to clean gloss paintwork prior to
> repainting in the same colour?
> I reely reely don't want to have to lift the fitted carpet so sloshing
> about with copious liquids is out.

If you're painting it in the same colour then it doesn't require anything
other than a light sanding, followed by an undercoat (if it has drastically
yellowed or changed colour) and gloss.

Personally I would simply gloss over it as it is.

Mary Fisher

Jun 29, 2008, 2:59:32 PM6/29/08

"Rod" <poly...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> stuart noble wrote:
>> Rod wrote:
>>>
>>> Any bits that need sanding, use wet and dry and have a bowl of water to
>>> rinse it in regularly. Wipe down afterwards with plain water.
>>>
>>> I have never decided whether it is better to use sugar soap before or
>>> after. So my rule of thumb is to use it before if the paint is obviously
>>> dirty. And after if the paint was fairly clean.
>>>

>> I wonder if sugar soap serves any purpose at all unless your paintwork is
>> covered in something particularly greasy.
>
> I am not sure either. With oil-based paint - maybe not. With water-based I
> am fairly convinced it does if there is any grease on the surface. But I
> could be convinced either way by a proper experiment. For the price, I'll
> stick with it until then.

And I'll stick with micropore cloths.

Mary

meow...@care2.com

Jun 29, 2008, 3:26:18 PM6/29/08

Reminds me of a chap who pointed to the paint tin and said "look, it
says 'covers all crap'". It does. OTOH too much dirt and the adhesion
can be affected, so if its mucky a cloth with very hot water & cream
cleaner works well. As do various suggestions made

NT