Makita tools

Chris Wilson

Mar 28, 2011, 10:39:16 AM3/28/11
So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there a
reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

--

All the best,

Chris

AlanD

Mar 28, 2011, 11:39:05 AM3/28/11
On 28/03/2011 15:39, Chris Wilson wrote:
> So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there a
> reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

In my experience (heavy duty DIY use), they *are* worth the money. They
have outlasted cheap shed own-brand equivalents several times over
(angle grinders mainly) and the cut accuracy is excellent (mitre saws &
table saw) vs cheap ones. I've burnt the motor out of a cheap table saw
fairly quickly (and then couldn't get spares!) but the makita just keeps
on going.
I also have a fair number of Ryobi battery tools* which seem to be
lasting well, and are well built, so also worth considering.

*Their One+ range that share the same batteries throughout.

d...@gglz.com

Mar 28, 2011, 12:42:41 PM3/28/11

Prices are pretty much the same as all the other pro tools.

Apart from the *elite* brands like Festool. Now they're expensive.

John Rumm

Mar 28, 2011, 1:34:28 PM3/28/11
On 28/03/2011 15:39, Chris Wilson wrote:

> So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there a
> reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

I have always found them remarkably good value - often a little cheaper
than the blue bosch equivalent. Ultimately you get what you pay for.

--
Cheers,

John.

tony sayer

Mar 28, 2011, 1:35:36 PM3/28/11
In article <Xns9EB69F45CC34...@69.16.176.253>, Chris Wilson
<ulm@?.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> scribeth thus

>So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there a
>reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

Build quality, reliability, performance:)..

Next?...

--
Tony Sayer

The Medway Handyman

Mar 28, 2011, 3:12:43 PM3/28/11
Batteries, chargers,after sales service, parts availability, ergonomics.....

Andy Dingley

Mar 28, 2011, 4:22:20 PM3/28/11
On Mar 28, 3:39 pm, Chris Wilson <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote:
> So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools,

I don't think they are. Compared to some tools they're expensive, but
compared to the same quality, they're the same or cheaper.

Dave Plowman (News)

Mar 28, 2011, 6:21:14 PM3/28/11
In article <Xns9EB69F45CC34...@69.16.176.253>,

Chris Wilson <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote:
> So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there
> a reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

Which other 'quality tools'?

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chris Wilson

Mar 29, 2011, 4:18:59 AM3/29/11
Chris Wilson <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote in

> So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is
> there a reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money
> and why?

Thanks for the replies folks, I was just curious and I suppose I should
have asked first as I've been re-equipping my workshop over the last few
months and am now nearly finished.

I was looking at Makita but in the end for my "cordless" catagory I bought
Bosch blue 18V Li Ion based around a GSR drill/driver that came with two
batteries. Comparing prices with Makita they were coming out at between 5
and 10% less expensive than the Makita equivalents.

And I have to say that having had a play with the new drill/driver
yesterday in the garden driving *big* wood fixings into big lumps of wood
(emergency fence repairs!) I wa very pleased with the performance being
akin to the sort of power I'd only previously experienced with mains tool

PeterC

Mar 29, 2011, 11:13:29 AM3/29/11
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:21:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article <Xns9EB69F45CC34...@69.16.176.253>,
> Chris Wilson <ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> wrote:
>> So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there
>> a reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?
>
> Which other 'quality tools'?

A little story (close your eyes if you're not into sadism and torture of
defenceless tools).
Makita 12V drill, 6x6mm holes in thin stainless, with some smoke, followed
immediately with removing 2 pressed-in nuts in 1.5mm stainless then 2x22mm
holes with a hole-saw [1]. Even more smoke, some slowing down, stopping if
the teeth caught a bit but not much trouble.
First time I've got warm air out this particular tool, which was a bit
worrying, but it did the lot on less than 1 1.3Ah Nicad battery - the
Powercraft 2Ah would have stalled and then run flat.

[1] Very impressive, the hole-saw. Workzone set from Aldi and it cut the 2
holes in the stainless and the teeth are still sharp - most unexpected.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

John Rumm

Mar 29, 2011, 12:40:34 PM3/29/11

Blue Bosch and Makita are fairly close in performance across the board -
some have the edge in particular classes, but there is no clear "winner"
overall IMHO. Pricing seems to depend on what you are buying (and where
you buy). Some cordless stuff Bosch comes out cheaper. Mains SDS, or
jigsaws, then Makita has have the edge in price. Both have full spares
and service support, so no worries there.

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 2:58:21 PM3/29/11
On 29/03/2011 09:18, Chris Wilson wrote:

> And I have to say that having had a play with the new drill/driver
> yesterday in the garden driving *big* wood fixings into big lumps of wood
> (emergency fence repairs!) I wa very pleased with the performance being
> akin to the sort of power I'd only previously experienced with mains tool

Oh just wait until you try an impact driver :-)

Chris Wilson

Mar 29, 2011, 8:09:50 PM3/29/11
The Medway Handyman <davi...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> On 29/03/2011 09:18, Chris Wilson wrote:
>

>> And I have to say that having had a play with the new drill/driver
>> yesterday in the garden driving *big* wood fixings into big lumps of
>> wood (emergency fence repairs!) I wa very pleased with the
>> performance being akin to the sort of power I'd only previously
>> experienced with mains tool
>
> Oh just wait until you try an impact driver :-)

Can't you mump one of those together with an angle grinder and a hammer?

Grimly Curmudgeon

Mar 31, 2011, 9:08:20 AM3/31/11
drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Wilson
<ulm@.4rubbish.britwar.co.uk> saying something like:

>So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there a
>reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

Not expensive at all, unless you're used to buying pikey specials.