Sundeala board - supplier in NW

petek

Oct 26, 2008, 7:27:49 PM10/26/08
Can anyone recommend a supplier of Sundeala board near Chorley in
Lancashire? I want it for a model railway baseboard for my grandson.
Some model shops have it in 1200 x 600 sheets but ideally I want a
sheet 1500 x 1000, or larger to cut down.

I understand Sundeala is a brand name. Is there a generic name or an
equivalent board that may be more readily available?

TIA
Pete K

A.Lee

Oct 27, 2008, 4:34:23 AM10/27/08
petek <pknw...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

MDF is very similar, probably the same thing.
All (well, OK,most) DIY stores keep it in stock.
Alan.

Rod

Oct 27, 2008, 4:44:41 AM10/27/08
I thought Sundeala was somewhat softer than ordinary MDF? Hence its use
for pinboards. (Don't think I'd like to push a pin into MDF with my
fingers.)

If you can face the overwhelming flash on the site :-), try
<http://www.sundeala.co.uk>. You could email/ring them for local stockists.

--
Rod

onset.
<www.thyromind.info> <www.thyroiduk.org> <www.altsupportthyroid.org>

Andy Burns

Oct 27, 2008, 4:56:47 AM10/27/08

http://www.sundeala.co.uk/PDF/Hobbyboard_stockists.pdf

> I want it for a model railway baseboard for my grandson.
> Some model shops have it in 1200 x 600 sheets

That must be Hobbyboard, it only comes in 1200x600 sheets, the Pinboard
comes in 2400x1200 sheets.

The Medway Handyman

Oct 27, 2008, 4:57:04 AM10/27/08
A.Lee wrote:
> petek <pknw...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a supplier of Sundeala board near Chorley in
>> Lancashire? I want it for a model railway baseboard for my grandson.
>> Some model shops have it in 1200 x 600 sheets but ideally I want a
>> sheet 1500 x 1000, or larger to cut down.
>>
>> I understand Sundeala is a brand name. Is there a generic name or an
>> equivalent board that may be more readily available?
>
> MDF is very similar, probably the same thing.
> All (well, OK,most) DIY stores keep it in stock.

Quick look at their site, seems to be made from recycled newspaper and is
'pinable', so maybe its softer than MDF? Never heard of it before.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Norman Billingham

Oct 27, 2008, 7:25:43 AM10/27/08

"petek" <pknw...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Haven't seen Sundeala for a long time but its certainly a lot softer than
MDF and often used for pinboards etc.

Lasttime I wanted some I settled for a generic "insulation board" from
Travis Perkins. Slightly rough surface, white painted on one side and
softer than Sundeala but it did the job.

The Sundeala web site has quite a long list of suppliers

John

Oct 27, 2008, 12:04:58 PM10/27/08

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message

I recall that one of the qualities appreciated by model railway fans was the
quiet running it gave the trains.

mick

Oct 27, 2008, 3:03:14 PM10/27/08

It's actually LDF or "pinboard". Berry's in Leyland stock it in nice big
sheets.
http://www.cwberry.com/ProductCat.aspx?TreeNodeId=060a80f5-b84c-45b2-99ba-
ca220cf9c667

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Simon Stroud

Oct 27, 2008, 4:10:46 PM10/27/08

"Norman Billingham" <norman.at.tumulus.org.uk> wrote in message
Not sure where/if they make it now, but the old Sundelea factory (in
Sunbury) was right next door to my office. From time to time something would
go wrong with their chimneys/filters/whatever and the whole carpark (and out
lungs presumably) would be covered with a thin layer of whatever they make
the stuff out of. Nice.

It was all demolished a while ago and the site now has a selection of flats
and the Sunbury Travelodge. Presumably they still have a factory somewhere.

Regards,
Simon.

Malcolm

Oct 27, 2008, 7:24:22 PM10/27/08
At a school in Hampshire we use it as pinboard. (we must have bought
enough to cover most of the walls in the school over the last few years)
Our supplier is Covers and 2440 by 1220 sheets cost around £35 plus
vat. It is relatively soft and would need good support for a railway
baseboard

Malcolm

Michael Atkinson

Oct 30, 2008, 6:14:00 PM10/30/08
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:10:46 -0000, Simon Stroud wrote:

> Not sure where/if they make it now...

IIRC the website says it's made from recycled newspaper. I recently go a
few sheets off ebay - two** of which now sit behind my son's dartboard,
protecting the wall.

**why can I _never_ get such things to align. I measure to the mm, then the
drill decides to wander :-(

Mike

Frank Erskine

Oct 30, 2008, 7:58:31 PM10/30/08
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:14:00 +0000, Michael Atkinson
<matkin...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>**why can I _never_ get such things to align. I measure to the mm, then the
>drill decides to wander :-(

You should try Imperial measurements - the drill never ever wanders.

--
Frank
Foot, pint and pound are perfectly sound.

BigWallop

Oct 30, 2008, 8:22:04 PM10/30/08

"Michael Atkinson" <matkin...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:10:46 -0000, Simon Stroud wrote:

<<<snipped>>>

> **why can I _never_ get such things to align. I measure to the mm, then
the
> drill decides to wander :-(
>
> Mike

Try knocking a nail in the spot before you lift the drill. Then drill on
the spot and it stops it wondering.

Man at B&Q

Oct 31, 2008, 7:16:28 AM10/31/08
On Oct 27, 8:34 am, a...@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

> petek <pknw29...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a supplier of Sundeala board near Chorley in
> > Lancashire? I want it for a model railway baseboard for my grandson.
> > Some model shops have it in 1200 x 600 sheets but ideally I want a
> > sheet 1500 x 1000, or larger to cut down.
>
> > I understand Sundeala is a brand name. Is there a generic name or an
> > equivalent board that may be more readily available?
>
> MDF is very similar,

No it isn't.