The iTunes Vendor Lock In Myth

1 view

DanielEran

Dec 17, 2006, 3:58:54 AM12/17/06
The iTunes Vendor Lock In Myth
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/6565C879-3C4C-4014-95F0-EF1DF464D378.html
According to proponents of this myth, Apple's iTunes is unfairly
locking Microsoft, Real, and Sony out of the market for digital music
by blocking rivals' efforts to put their own DRM systems on iPods,
and is using vendor lock in to distort the market for online music and
players. They're wrong, here's why.

Jim

Dec 17, 2006, 4:11:13 AM12/17/06
DanielEran <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

Abuse report filed to groups...@google.com

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk
AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2

Jim

Dec 17, 2006, 4:13:45 AM12/17/06
Jim <j...@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> DanielEran <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Abuse report filed to groups...@google.com

Oh - and a comment filed to the article in question. Care to bet whether
it gets moderated into the bin?

Danny T

Dec 17, 2006, 6:27:05 PM12/17/06

My irritation also reached the point were I posted a comment to the
linked article, politely asking Daniel Eran to stop spamming ucsm.

Here is the emailed reply I just received from him. I don't make a
habit of posting the contents of emails, but seeing as I intended any
exchange between us to be a public one where he invites comments I
think it is fair to do so here:

>Hi Danny,

>Please don't complain to me about your "charter" for Usenet. You don't own it.

>My articles were previously posted by some of the same people who are now on a high-pitched >screed about how they are commercial spam.

>They aren't, you know that, and you are being grossly offensive and hypocritical. Dumping of links? >You are a fraud and a liar.

>Your collective of "politeness" has accused me of everything from child abuse to sex with animals. >Your group is a bunch of self righteous idiot assholes.

>Don't throw your crap in my direction. Confine your offensive, hateful, trollfests to usenet where it >belongs.

>Dan

This was in reply to my comment (spiked at moderation):

>Daniel

>I'm adding my voice to those other users of uk.comp.sys.mac who object to your drive-by >promotion of your site there.

>Your repeated dumping of links contravenes both the newsgroup's charter - and standards of >politeness recognised on both sides of the Atlantic.

>Please, either join us and participate in our discussions, or don't come at all.

>Were it not for your behaviour I would be likely to read and appreciate your site, perhaps >recommending it to others. As it is, any comment I make to others is likely to be negative.

>Many thanks

>Danny Thompson

Danny

Woody

Dec 17, 2006, 6:33:34 PM12/17/06
Danny T <da...@harrietbarber.com> wrote:

> DanielEran wrote:
> > The iTunes Vendor Lock In Myth

<blah blah>

> My irritation also reached the point were I posted a comment to the
> linked article, politely asking Daniel Eran to stop spamming ucsm.
>
> Here is the emailed reply I just received from him.

> >Hi Danny,

> >Please don't complain to me about your "charter" for Usenet. You don't
> own it.
>
> >My articles were previously posted by some of the same people who are now
> on a high-pitched >screed about how they are commercial spam.
>
> >They aren't, you know that, and you are being grossly offensive and
> hypocritical. Dumping of links? >You are a fraud and a liar.
>
> >Your collective of "politeness" has accused me of everything from child
> abuse to sex with animals. >Your group is a bunch of self righteous idiot
> assholes.
>
> >Don't throw your crap in my direction. Confine your offensive, hateful,
> trollfests to usenet where it >belongs.

Yes, he truly is a lovely little man.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com

Jim

Dec 18, 2006, 1:18:26 AM12/18/06
Danny T <da...@harrietbarber.com> wrote:

> My irritation also reached the point were I posted a comment to the
> linked article, politely asking Daniel Eran to stop spamming ucsm.

He seems to have stopped replying to me, but that's ok - I'll continue
to submit abuse reports. Google have been quite helpful in the past. In
fact I wonder if contacting the people who advertise on his site would
help? I'm sure they don't want to be associated with a fool like him if
they knew how he was acting.

Peter Ceresole

Dec 18, 2006, 1:47:03 AM12/18/06
Danny T <da...@harrietbarber.com> wrote:

qutoing from DanielEran:

> >Your collective of "politeness" has accused me of everything from child
> > abuse to sex with animals. Your group is a bunch of self righteous
> > idiot assholes.

Strange how this fellow sets himself up as an expert, and then clearly
hasn't got the first clue about the way Usenet works in practice, and
can't read headers. But then trolls only work with the naive and
terminally stupid.

It does, of course, emphasise that anything he says is probably
worthless.
--
Peter

Jim

Dec 18, 2006, 1:53:14 AM12/18/06
Peter Ceresole <pe...@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

He seems to be a Bob Cringely wannabe, but lacks Bob's insight and wit.

Bob may not always be accurate but he's always _entertaining_. Daniel is
just very impressed with himself, which isn't the same thing by a long
chalk.

Please help to bring old whisky literature back into print - visit
www.ClassicExpressions.co.uk

Woody

Dec 18, 2006, 2:52:21 AM12/18/06
Jim <j...@magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Danny T <da...@harrietbarber.com> wrote:
>
> > My irritation also reached the point were I posted a comment to the
> > linked article, politely asking Daniel Eran to stop spamming ucsm.
>
> He seems to have stopped replying to me, but that's ok - I'll continue
> to submit abuse reports. Google have been quite helpful in the past.

I never found them that helpful, but if you think they are, it would be
worth trying.

> In
> fact I wonder if contacting the people who advertise on his site would
> help? I'm sure they don't want to be associated with a fool like him if
> they knew how he was acting.

I could ask Mr Ives next door neighbour to drop him a note :-)

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com